GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 62 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,318
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,670
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,497
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,264
Posts1,057,450
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"...a bag full of money" #732740
08/08/13 12:52 PM
08/08/13 12:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content OP
Turnbull  Online Content OP

AZ
In his last face-to-face with Michael in Havana, Roth says: "My sixth sense tells me that your brother Fredo brought a bag full of money. Where is it?"

How did Roth know that Fredo brought the money? He might have inferred that Michael would have brought Fredo to Havana for only that purpose. His pals in the Cuban government might have tipped him (although if they knew he had $2 million in that suitcase they would have grabbed it).

Or, Fredo might have told Roth.

Your view?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: Turnbull] #732741
08/08/13 12:57 PM
08/08/13 12:57 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
I think the Cuban's tipped him off that Fredo was in town and he figured Fredo was Micheal's money man. I don't think they grabbed the money because Roth was "a friend" and they knew they would be getting most of that anyways.

Just my thoughts

Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: Turnbull] #732747
08/08/13 01:35 PM
08/08/13 01:35 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
In his last face-to-face with Michael in Havana, Roth says: "My sixth sense tells me that your brother Fredo brought a bag full of money. Where is it?"

How did Roth know that Fredo brought the money? He might have inferred that Michael would have brought Fredo to Havana for only that purpose. His pals in the Cuban government might have tipped him (although if they knew he had $2 million in that suitcase they would have grabbed it).

Your view?

TB, I think it's another chalk up to authorial license. If Fredo was in deep enough with Roth, then he would have been the one to inform Roth of it.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: olivant] #732754
08/08/13 02:21 PM
08/08/13 02:21 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Until this day I thought that Fredo and Roth had direct or indirect connections in Havana before the New Year's Eve party but Roth was too smart for that because he would have known Fredo would have been too stupid to pull off any secret contact with him
because Michael was right there to keep an eye on him (BTW Michael knew this too which may explain the long standing question -- "Why would Michael tell Fredo he planned to assassinate Roth?).

No Roth probably knew Fredo's flight number, and his suveillance had him getting out of the car at the hotel and clutching to the briefcase handcuffed to his wrist.

The evidence? When Fredo "met" Johnny Ola at the party, Fredo looked stricken with terror...he didn't know how to handle the introduction. It was Ola who bluffed through it, and Fredo followed his lead.

Thus it was Roth, with the help of the Cubans that was really his "sixth sense."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: Turnbull] #732779
08/08/13 03:34 PM
08/08/13 03:34 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Also, Fredo had some difficulty getting the suitcase back from that 'hotel employee'. It could be that the Cubans had already intended to switch the suitcases, or make it accidentally disappear if Fredo would've handed it over.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: dontomasso] #732948
08/08/13 09:44 PM
08/08/13 09:44 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content OP
Turnbull  Online Content OP

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
No Roth probably knew Fredo's flight number, and his suveillance had him getting out of the car at the hotel and clutching to the briefcase handcuffed to his wrist.

Handcuffed to his wrist? confused

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: Turnbull] #733034
08/09/13 10:11 AM
08/09/13 10:11 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Well clutching anyway

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: dontomasso] #734593
08/15/13 01:02 AM
08/15/13 01:02 AM
New York
L
Louren_Lampone Offline
Made Member
Louren_Lampone  Offline
L
Made Member
New York
Well, in an old GF2 script, Roth and Ola actually kidnap a courier who had the money handcuffed to him.

In this scene, they simply take the money (Courier says, wait what are you doing?) and Roth calls some of his military personnel to take the courier away, possibly to never be seen from again.

Maybe that's where it came from?

"Now, that plane goes to Miami."
"That's right. That's where I want it met."
Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: dontomasso] #735124
08/17/13 07:48 PM
08/17/13 07:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

When Fredo "met" Johnny Ola at the party, Fredo looked stricken with terror...he didn't know how to handle the introduction. It was Ola who bluffed through it, and Fredo followed his lead.

I agree. But I disagree with any opinion that Michael suspected Fredo of knowing Ola or Roth. When Fredo arrives at the hotel, it is he who brings up the subject about knowing anyone in Havana. However, it is somewhat strange that Fredo seems to already be familiar with Havana: "It's my kind of town." he tells Michael. Despite his recent arrival, he seems to already be familiar with local drinks. At the nightclub, he suggests some local drinks to Geary et al.

Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: olivant] #735187
08/18/13 09:56 AM
08/18/13 09:56 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant

When Fredo "met" Johnny Ola at the party, Fredo looked stricken with terror...he didn't know how to handle the introduction. It was Ola who bluffed through it, and Fredo followed his lead.

I agree. But I disagree with any opinion that Michael suspected Fredo of knowing Ola or Roth. When Fredo arrives at the hotel, it is he who brings up the subject about knowing anyone in Havana. However, it is somewhat strange that Fredo seems to already be familiar with Havana: "It's my kind of town." he tells Michael. Despite his recent arrival, he seems to already be familiar with local drinks. At the nightclub, he suggests some local drinks to Geary et al.

And yet he did not know how to order a bananna daquairi.

Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: dontomasso] #751602
12/04/13 09:23 PM
12/04/13 09:23 PM
Buffalo,New York
frankg2469 Offline
A.K.A. Benny Squint
frankg2469  Offline
A.K.A. Benny Squint
Button
Buffalo,New York
Well clutching anyway

Fredo "The Clutching Hand" Corleone. lol

"A mook---what's a mook ?" Johnny Boy Civello
Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: Turnbull] #795570
08/12/14 07:07 PM
08/12/14 07:07 PM
BadaBing Offline
Button
BadaBing  Offline
Button
I always wondered what the point was of Roth and his $2 million suitcase heist. I now suspect that entire point was that if the first suitcase was stolen, Roth knew that Michael would only send the second one with Fredo. He needed Fredo there to get inside information on Michael for his assassination plot. This paid off when Fredo saved Roth's life.

Regards.

CHRISTIAN
You desecrated a classic film. This is worse than "Godfather III."
GIBSON
Whoa, whoa, hey, whoa! Let's not say things we can't take back.
CHRISTIAN
All right, all right, I'm sorry.
Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: Turnbull] #795975
08/14/14 01:58 PM
08/14/14 01:58 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull

Your view?

In those days booking flights was a big deal. Flights from Tahoe to Havana could have been easily monitored. Most likely Roth either paid off or tapped the phone of the Corleone's travel agent. All he really needed was someone at Havana airport confirming that Fredo and the suitcase had landed and cleared Batista's customs.

Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: Turnbull] #796014
08/14/14 04:33 PM
08/14/14 04:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
One of the things we should keep in mind when viewing The Trilogy is that members of the audience may not have read the novel. Thus, they need to be informed about what is happening and why. Since there was no novel to read prior to II & III, we who read the novel and viewed the previous entries in the Trilogy, can put two and two together. Those who haven't need to be told and reminded.

Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: olivant] #796745
08/19/14 06:45 AM
08/19/14 06:45 AM
Indiana
B
Bozak Offline
Wiseguy
Bozak  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Indiana

I took that to mean that Fredo had heard that Havana was his kind of town, like Vegas. A place where he could have a good time. At the point where he makes that statement, we have no reason to suspect that Fredo had ever been to Havana, so he could be saying that based on what he has heard of the city.

Re: "...a bag full of money" [Re: Bozak] #797016
08/20/14 09:09 AM
08/20/14 09:09 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Bozak

I took that to mean that Fredo had heard that Havana was his kind of town, like Vegas. A place where he could have a good time. At the point where he makes that statement, we have no reason to suspect that Fredo had ever been to Havana, so he could be saying that based on what he has heard of the city.

I think it was pretty clear that Fredo had been to Havana before, and thats why Michael asked him to show the VIP's around. When Fredo said it was "my kind of town," there was some sarcasm in his voice IMHO which foreshadowed his "send Fredo to the airport" rant.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull