GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,703
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,706
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
was al capone the first vincent gigante? #713822
05/03/13 09:11 PM
05/03/13 09:11 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
I have researched al capone for the last few years and from the dots that I've connected I came to the conclusion that he was calling shots from palm island after he was released from alcatraz, I would love to here everyones opinion

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713824
05/03/13 09:42 PM
05/03/13 09:42 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
When Jake Guzak visited Capone in florida after his release he told people he was pretty much shocked at how bad Capone looked.

Then he said Capone was "Nuttier then a fruitcake". Maybe they acted like Capone was still the boss when they were with him but personally i doubt he was running anything at that point, though i could be completely wrong on it.

After his release Capone was probably lucky if he could tie his own shoe laces. lol

Just my opinion, i really don't know what the real facts were.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713825
05/03/13 09:53 PM
05/03/13 09:53 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
It was a big coverup, guzik was so loyal to capone he would have done anything capone asked of him, theres theres nemerous accounts that people have said when they went to his house they was suprised at how healthy he looked, when he left alcatraz his family tooked him to baltimore to get mercury cleaned out of his system and he continued to get better until his death, theres a whole bunch of lies about capone in the media and in movies

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713834
05/03/13 10:45 PM
05/03/13 10:45 PM
Jenkins Offline
Made Member
Jenkins  Offline
Made Member
I don't claim to be an expert but I tend to think Capone was a bit overrated. Yea he made the headlines and was the first high profile boss but his time at the top was pretty short. I would say guys like Murray Humphreyes and Paul Ricca were closer to the Gigante model of staying under the radar.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713839
05/03/13 11:01 PM
05/03/13 11:01 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
I compared capone to gigante cause of the way they both pretended to be sicker then what they really was in order to get the heat off of them and the only reason why capone had a short run at the top is because they gaved him 11 years on tax charges that people was getting 2 years tops on the same charge back in those days, all of the people u mentioned above learned alot from capone, ricca was just a resturaunt worker before capone tooked him in, nitti was just a barber before he met capone, and accardo had so much respect for capone that he referred to capone as "boss" everytime he talked about capone to someone

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713859
05/04/13 02:50 AM
05/04/13 02:50 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Usualy the mob take care of their own who are with damaged mind,with a mercy killing.because you can never know when they'll start talking 'nonsence',so the Capone story is a little bit suspicious as his whole reign as aboss.Some say that he never was the real boss,some say that st.valentines day massacre was done by the police,not Al,etc...

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: Toodoped] #713862
05/04/13 05:24 AM
05/04/13 05:24 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
I've never heard anyone even claim that Capone continued to be in charge of the Outfit after he came out of prison. When Capone was sent to Alcatraz he was done. Alcatraz pretty much cut off all outside communications.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713866
05/04/13 10:33 AM
05/04/13 10:33 AM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
Not so, his family was allowed to see him while he was in alcatraz and furthermore, during the time of his parole from alcatraz alot of the top guys in chicago either bought or rented houses that was close to al, the fbi continued to monitor capone after his release from prison and they reported that thier was strange phone calls leaving al's house to chicago, it could have been code, the fbi questioned his wife and they said she seemed like she new sething but was afaid to talk, the whole as l capone coverup is very interesting to me

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713923
05/04/13 03:23 PM
05/04/13 03:23 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
I meant cut off from all Outfit associations. After he got out Outfit guys visited him, but that doesn't mean he had any power at that point. Guzik claimed "he's as nutty as a fruitcake." As for the Outfit is concerned he was out in 1932.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713927
05/04/13 03:38 PM
05/04/13 03:38 PM
L
Lenin_and_McCarthy Offline
Capo
Lenin_and_McCarthy  Offline
L
Capo
Bergreen's Capone - page 511. He had a blood test confirm tertiary syphilis when he first entered the Federal prison system.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713938
05/04/13 04:20 PM
05/04/13 04:20 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
His brothers visited him in alcatraz and they were involved in organized crime so its possible he sent messages through them, al cliamed he was retired before he went to alcatraz but it was just a ploy to get the fuzz off of his back, most people who got syfilis back then didnt die from it, capone was in good health until about 37 when the prison started injecting lead into his body cause they was afraid that he would get out and run his empire, after capone was released from the hospital in baltimore he held mafia meetings at ralph capone getaway retreat in wisconstin, capone wad semi retired and he let the guys in chicago run the day to day business of it

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713972
05/04/13 09:32 PM
05/04/13 09:32 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: thebigfella
His brothers visited him in alcatraz and they were involved in organized crime so its possible he sent messages through them, al cliamed he was retired before he went to alcatraz but it was just a ploy to get the fuzz off of his back, most people who got syfilis back then didnt die from it, capone was in good health until about 37 when the prison started injecting lead into his body cause they was afraid that he would get out and run his empire, after capone was released from the hospital in baltimore he held mafia meetings at ralph capone getaway retreat in wisconstin, capone wad semi retired and he let the guys in chicago run the day to day business of it

It seems this is more like a case of blind faith for you, where you dismiss all evidence that's far more likely to have occurred. The government believed someone else ran the Outfit after Capone went to prison, as did his relatives and every Outfit informant who had anything to say about it. There is absolutely zero evidence that Capone ran the Outfit after he left prison, but you are free to believe what you want to believe.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713977
05/04/13 10:08 PM
05/04/13 10:08 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
The outfit members that was the closest to capone never flipped, the few that have was so low level or had absolutely no contact with al to know anything, and as far as his family goes do u remember rthe capone brother that ran away? Well his son said in an interview that he remember seeing capone holding meetings with chicago gangsters, and if u read his grandniece (diedra capone) book "my uncle al" she said he use to visit his mother in chicago and meet with chicago gangsters in her house, and she also said after dinner al capone and his brothers use to go to a separate room and look over the gambling books, and as far as the fbi goes they knew capone was up to something they just could'nt prove it, just like chin was boss and it tooked years before they could prove it, the fbi is always 1 step slow, its not blind faith its facts

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713984
05/04/13 10:50 PM
05/04/13 10:50 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713990
05/04/13 11:24 PM
05/04/13 11:24 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

Seriously confused. Would you quote the Chins daughter's book for information on him?

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713991
05/04/13 11:30 PM
05/04/13 11:30 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
The chins daughter saw parts of him that the fbi, media, and alot of gangsters never saw

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #713993
05/04/13 11:34 PM
05/04/13 11:34 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
The chins daughter saw parts of him that the fbi, media, and alot of gangsters never saw

I'll leave it at that then.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: Camarel] #713996
05/04/13 11:49 PM
05/04/13 11:49 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo
Originally Posted By: Camarel

Seriously confused. Would you quote the Chins daughter's book for information on him?

I haven't read the book in question, but family members can provide info on a person's private life, not necessarily organized crime. If she debunks the idea that he was "nutty as a fruitcake" after alcatraz, then that's saying something, but personally I doubt he was involved anymore.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: ht2] #714001
05/05/13 12:11 AM
05/05/13 12:11 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: ht2
Originally Posted By: Camarel

I haven't read the book in question, but family members can provide info on a person's private life, not necessarily organized crime. If she debunks the idea that he was "nutty as a fruitcake" after alcatraz, then that's saying something, but personally I doubt he was involved anymore.

Did you click on the link i was responding to Deidre Capone's book his neice, seriously i could write a more accarute book lol.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #714040
05/05/13 09:15 AM
05/05/13 09:15 AM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
I respect ur opinion

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #714056
05/05/13 12:14 PM
05/05/13 12:14 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Al Capone was sick with syphilis as early as 19 years, which is why his son was born deaf because of neonatal syphilis, Capone if he really wanted to take up the reins of powerwould come back to Chicago, instead of hanging out in florida, but now the tertiary syphilis had devoured his brain, so it is dead so he wanted giovane.Se after Nitti committed suicide in 1942, might well have once again become the boss of Chicago, where he had so many loyal men.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #714063
05/05/13 01:06 PM
05/05/13 01:06 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
The outfit members that was the closest to capone never flipped, the few that have was so low level or had absolutely no contact with al to know anything, and as far as his family goes do u remember rthe capone brother that ran away? Well his son said in an interview that he remember seeing capone holding meetings with chicago gangsters, and if u read his grandniece (diedra capone) book "my uncle al" she said he use to visit his mother in chicago and meet with chicago gangsters in her house, and she also said after dinner al capone and his brothers use to go to a separate room and look over the gambling books, and as far as the fbi goes they knew capone was up to something they just could'nt prove it, just like chin was boss and it tooked years before they could prove it, the fbi is always 1 step slow, its not blind faith its facts

I know Deirdre Capone as well as several other people who have families going way back in the Outfit. Also have numerous FBI files on the Outfit and years of personal research I have done in and on Chicago. Relatives, unless they were made members themselves, for the most part can only provide personal information that is pertinent to familial relationships and genealogical facts. Organized crime related info is usually not shared with biological relatives unless there is a specific reason to do so, but normally wives and children are not privy to those details.

As for Capone meeting with Outfit members after he came out of prison...yes, of course since he was friends with many of them and continued to have their respect. Deirdre Capone said that Capone's syphilis was under better control than the newspapers were aware of, but his memory was not what it had been before and there is absolutely nothing to indicate he had any power or influence in Outfit decisions after he got out of prison nor did have any control while in Alcatraz. As for your comparison to Chin, although the FBI did not realize how early he came to be the central authority in the Genovese Family it was aware that he was a significant player. Capone simply was not the secret boss of the Outfit after he went to Alcatraz.

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #714065
05/05/13 01:11 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
I feel like nobody is reading none of my posts, u guys keep bringing up points that I've already discussed, nonetheless I will try again, capone was in semi-retirement with final authority relaying alot of his messages through his brother ralph capone among others, and u ask y would he hang out in florida? For the same reason he hungout in florida before he went to alcatraz, u see befor he went to prison he was already telling the press he was retired and he spent alot of his time in florida while letting other guys run the day to day part of it, this was a plan of his already in the works before he went to prison, and don't forget tony accardo tooked a page out of his book by doing the exact same thing, he moved to florida and gaved someone else control of everyday activities

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: Faithful1] #714066
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
I know Deirdre Capone as well as several other people who have families going way back in the Outfit. Also have numerous FBI files on the Outfit and years of personal research I have done in and on Chicago. Relatives, unless they were made members themselves, for the most part can only provide personal information that is pertinent to familial relationships and genealogical facts. Organized crime related info is usually not shared with biological relatives unless there is a specific reason to do so, but normally wives and children are not privy to those details.

As for Capone meeting with Outfit members after he came out of prison...yes, of course since he was friends with many of them and continued to have their respect. Deirdre Capone said that Capone's syphilis was under better control than the newspapers were aware of, but his memory was not what it had been before and there is absolutely nothing to indicate he had any power or influence in Outfit decisions after he got out of prison nor did have any control while in Alcatraz. As for your comparison to Chin, although the FBI did not realize how early he came to be the central authority in the Genovese Family it was aware that he was a significant player. Capone simply was not the secret boss of the Outfit after he went to Alcatraz.

Excellent summation, Faithful1 smile clap.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #714068
05/05/13 01:26 PM
05/05/13 01:26 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
@faithful1 my memory is not what it was and I'm 39...lol but his memory was efficient, and he was not an idiot like alot of people say, proof: he went to the 1941 closed door hearing with government officials and answered every last one of thier questions coherently, theres also a popular photo of him and his lawyer, capone had shades on and his lawyer was explaing the legal precedings to him, y would his lawyer do that if he knew capone brain was in such bad shape? And dierdra capone once said after capone was released from prison he gaved a suitcase full of money to the owner of ups, even if u disagree with me u have to admit that thier is more to capone than the media is saying

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #714073
05/05/13 01:43 PM
05/05/13 01:43 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
even if u disagree with me u have to admit that thier is more to capone than the media is saying

I don't think anyone disputes that. That's the case with most public figures, especially the infamous ones. But that doesn't mean that Capone held onto his power after Alcatraz.

And by the way, BigFella, welcome to the boards smile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: pizzaboy] #714075
05/05/13 01:48 PM
05/05/13 01:48 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Before Capone went to jail, do you think was he the real power? I mean, did he control Ricca and Accardo, or were they de-facto bosses already back then?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: Jenkins] #714077
05/05/13 01:49 PM
05/05/13 01:49 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Jenkins
I don't claim to be an expert but I tend to think Capone was a bit overrated. Yea he made the headlines and was the first high profile boss but his time at the top was pretty short. I would say guys like Murray Humphreyes and Paul Ricca were closer to the Gigante model of staying under the radar.

paul ricca started the front boss method in the 1940s

way before the gigante made boss

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #714129
05/05/13 04:37 PM
05/05/13 04:37 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
@dwalin2011 before capone went to jail accardo was just a soldier and paul ricca was' nt in capones "incrowd" wgen al tooked trips to florida he would leave nitti or jack mcgurn in charge @pizzaboy thanks

Re: was al capone the first vincent gigante? [Re: thebigfella] #714131
05/05/13 04:44 PM
05/05/13 04:44 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline OP
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline OP
T
Underboss
new jersey
The chicago gangsters that testified during the mob hearings said ricca was quiet back in the late 20's

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull