GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (NickleCity, mustachepete, Captbony1999), 128 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,360
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,218
Posts1,056,202
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #886500
06/29/16 09:45 PM
06/29/16 09:45 PM
Past caring, then hang a left
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Past caring, then hang a left

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #886678
07/01/16 06:10 PM
07/01/16 06:10 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Lyanna Mormont is the new hero of the series.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #886700
07/02/16 01:40 AM
07/02/16 01:40 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

House Mormont remembers...

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #886717
07/02/16 10:08 AM
07/02/16 10:08 AM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Awesome season. Simply terrific. I was glad to see that the season finale was just about as good as the next to last episode.

That battle scene was one of the best in any cable series ever.

Winter is here.

Side Note: Where is Lilo? Along with Ivy, he was one of the best GoT posters here in the past. Hope he is good and checks back in soon.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mark] #886739
07/02/16 03:38 PM
07/02/16 03:38 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: Mark
Awesome season. Simply terrific. I was glad to see that the season finale was just about as good as the next to last episode.

That battle scene was one of the best in any cable series ever.

Winter is here.

Side Note: Where is Lilo? Along with Ivy, he was one of the best GoT posters here in the past. Hope he is good and checks back in soon.

Lilo hasn't posted since 2014. Don't know if he died or just dropped out, but if he's still around it would be nice to see him back.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #887371
07/08/16 01:12 PM
07/08/16 01:12 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Looks like season 7 may be delayed because, since "winter is here," they need more snow for filming.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: IvyLeague] #887394
07/08/16 07:39 PM
07/08/16 07:39 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Looks like season 7 may be delayed because, since "winter is here," they need more snow for filming.

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #887411
07/09/16 02:15 AM
07/09/16 02:15 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Don’t be mad about the ‘Game of Thrones’ delay. It’s a good sign for TV.

By Stephanie Merry
July 7, 2016 at 1:28 PM

You’re going to have to wait a little longer than usual for the next season of “Game of Thrones.” Since Winter is no longer Coming — it’s officially here — the scenery has to reflect the cooler temps. That means shooting, which typically takes place in Ireland and other parts of Europe, will happen during the dreariest months rather than sticking to the usual schedule, which would start around now.

“We kind of pushed everything down the line so we could get some grim, gray weather, even in the sunnier places that we shoot,” said showrunner D.B. Weiss on the UFC Unfiltered podcast.

Weiss and co-creator David Benioff also divulged some preliminary plans for the end of the series: They’re thinking 13 episodes over two more seasons. So much for the 10-episode seasons we’ve come to expect.

“That’s the guess, though nothing is yet set in stone, but that’s what we’re looking at,” Benioff told Variety.

(Continued at link below)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washing...d-sign-for-tv/#

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #887416
07/09/16 03:00 AM
07/09/16 03:00 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
April 2017 is long enough, so now what? May or June? It's going to be a long wait.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #887446
07/09/16 12:50 PM
07/09/16 12:50 PM
Upstate, NY
thedudeabides87 Offline
Underboss
thedudeabides87  Offline
Underboss
Upstate, NY
I have to say this is one of the few shows that gets better through the seasons. When Jon Snow got the Wildlings and the White Walker army attack I thought that was the best episode after this season I thought it was the last to episodes IDK how I will be able to wait for next season.

I have a feeling Little Finger will try and kill Jon Snow

The Dude: And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man.
Walter Sobchak: You mean... beyond pacifism?

Walter Sobchak: This guy f*cking walks. I've never been so sure of anything in my entire life
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: thedudeabides87] #887464
07/09/16 06:03 PM
07/09/16 06:03 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: thedudeabides87
I have to say this is one of the few shows that gets better through the seasons. When Jon Snow got the Wildlings and the White Walker army attack I thought that was the best episode after this season I thought it was the last to episodes IDK how I will be able to wait for next season.

As you may know, all 3 of those episodes were directed by the same guy - Miguel Sapochnik. Those are the only ones he's done so far but they're the three best of the series.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: IvyLeague] #887467
07/09/16 06:43 PM
07/09/16 06:43 PM
Upstate, NY
thedudeabides87 Offline
Underboss
thedudeabides87  Offline
Underboss
Upstate, NY
I didn't know but it makes sense

The Dude: And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man.
Walter Sobchak: You mean... beyond pacifism?

Walter Sobchak: This guy f*cking walks. I've never been so sure of anything in my entire life
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #887485
07/09/16 10:40 PM
07/09/16 10:40 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
The finale was good, but it seemed a little rushed, like they threw in the kitchen sink to hurry things up along. You saw that with Arya suddenly appearing to kill Walder Frey, and Varys in Dorne then on the ship with Dany. They should have captions like, "Three months later..." People joked how they teleported around. It was confusing. If not for that the episode would have been perfect. The last two were just outstanding.

On what will happen, one thing is that I believe Jaime will kill Cersei. The Mountain will either be killed by his brother or a dragon. If killed by his bro they may kill each other. I think it will turn out that Rheagar was married to Lyanna Stark, so Jon Snow is the legit heir to the throne, but he may not want it. Some think he will get together with Dany, but they could turn her into a villain. I expect the dragons to kill the wights. That's my two cents.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Faithful1] #887487
07/09/16 11:27 PM
07/09/16 11:27 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

And then there's the theory that Joanna Lannister had an affair with I guess Aarys Targaryen (?) And Tyrion is part Targaryan.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #887760
07/13/16 04:33 PM
07/13/16 04:33 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Samuel L. Jackson breaks down Game of Thrones

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #888462
07/23/16 07:36 PM
07/23/16 07:36 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
It was announced that the next season won't be on until Summer, 2017.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Faithful1] #888463
07/23/16 08:05 PM
07/23/16 08:05 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Faithful1
It was announced that the next season won't be on until Summer, 2017.

And it will be 7 episodes.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #966855
03/17/19 05:56 AM
03/17/19 05:56 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
April 14th dudes and dudettes... Be there or be square!! lol

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #968586
04/04/19 05:29 AM
04/04/19 05:29 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Michael Corleone's got nothing on Cersei. whistle

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #982634
12/13/19 01:34 PM
12/13/19 01:34 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI

[Linked Image]

The Daenerys heel turn of burning King's Landing down and deliberately incinerating untold numbers of civilians caused a great deal of agita among some Game of Thrones fans.
Some angrily said that this was Benioff's and Weiss' or even GRRM's commentary that strong women are always crazy women. I don't think that argument is worth discussing. FWIW, GRRM describes himself as a feminist. GRRM created many characters of different genders and sexualities, all of whom are varying mixes of good and evil, intelligence and stupidity, competence and ineptitude. It is almost certainly not a meta-commentary by GRRM or show creators on the danger of female leadership to have Daenerys burn down King's Landing. The fact that so many people joyously read Daenerys as avenging feminist Messiah is a testament to GRRM's creative abilities, nothing else.

The second, more numerous and to my mind more legitimate detractors are not necessarily THAT bothered by Daenerys going Mad Queen but think that it wasn't earned in the show. The show is all we can go on here as these events have not taken place in the books.

We must remember that unless and until Benioff ,Weiss and GRRM give us a detailed look at what were GRRM's contributions and what were Benioff's and Weiss' we may never know what events were GRRM's "true" ideas. For all we know GRRM might be reviewing screen events and deciding to alter or more deeply explain story events. Still, for something this big and character defining as the near total destruction of King's Landing all of my money is on it being GRRM's intent all along. So Daenerys was always going to go bad.

So why do so many intelligent people have problems with it? Well as I stated many people appear to be emotionally invested in the idea of Daenerys as a feminist heroine in a brutally patriarchal world. I think that real problem is that the showrunners did themselves a disservice by shortening the last two seasons and emphasizing speed and spectacle over character development, or in Daenerys' case, character devolution.

Just as we are manipulated to identify with the Starks and in earlier seasons more specifically Robb Stark, we're set up to identify with Daenerys. She's an orphan who's bullied and molested by her brother. She's lost the rest of her family to murder and war. She grows up in poverty, fleeing assassins. She and her brother are robbed and mocked wherever they go. She's sold as a teen bride to a man who initially sees her as only marginally more valuable than a good horse.

When her husband dies Daenerys has only a handful of followers left, mostly women, children, cripples, older men or those few Dothraki warriors open minded enough to accept female leadership. She and her people nearly starve to death. Numerous times she's bullied or insulted by men who categorically reject female leadership. Obviously the viewer will be sympathetic to such a woman.

However, Daenerys has near monomania about retaking the throne. She routinely threatens to burn cities to the ground. She says that her enemies will die screaming. As she gets power she starts to employ oft capricious violence against people who oppose her will. From the viewer's perspective most of these folks are indeed scummy people, so we cheer Daenerys' actions. It's protagonist bias. These people are also all coded as "foreigners" so we don't care as much about them. None of them get a POV to explain what they thought about this foreign leader with a bunch of mercenaries, Unsullied, and Dothraki running around making speeches and conquering their cities.

But when Daenerys returns to Westeros and starts interacting with people who are either "the good guys" or get more complexity than simpleminded freed slaves or mustache twirling sexist villains ,the viewer should start to understand that Daenerys has a "with me or against me" mindset that, though quite realistic for many rulers or damaged people, has some serious drawbacks and faults.

It's here where the shortened and rushed seasons impact Daenerys' character. We should have seen more of Daenerys' ruthlessness and inability to understand why the people of Westeros weren't lining up to embrace their "rightful" Queen. Her rage should have been bubbling up over time in ways both petty and serious. This is where Ser Friendzone himself, Jorah Mormont, could have been quite useful in showing Daenerys' anger and increasing isolation. Instead we got a pretty long reverse Bluebeard story in which Jon Snow inexplicably falls in love with the woman who has imprisoned him.

Why not show Daenerys writing to or visiting various other Houses/regions and getting the cold shoulder and/or insults? There was one pretty blatant foreshadowing of Daenerys' ruthlessness and unwillingness to abide by the accepted standards of war but unfortunately many people saw it as a "girl power" moment and cheered it.

Randyll Tarly was among Westeros' greatest generals and warriors. During Robert's rebellion he was a Targaryen loyalist sworn to Highgarden and the Tyrells. Randyll was the only man to defeat Robert Baratheon in battle. The Tarlys gave Highgarden much of its military muscle.

Randyll didn't believe in gender fluidity or non-traditional sex roles. In Randyll's POV men lead and women have babies. Women aren't soldiers. In the books Randyll tells Brienne that if she is raped it will probably be her own fault for ignoring gender roles. However Randyll's also pitiless to rapists and criminals, doling out hangings, beatings, amputations, and castrations like he's handing out candy corn. It's a hard world; Randyll is a hard man. You may recall that, finally disgusted by his eldest son's Sam's softness, obesity, cowardice and general disinterest in sport, war and physical exertion of any kind, Randyll promised to kill Sam unless Sam disinherited himself and joined the Night Watch. Randyll was never going to be in the runninng for Father of the Year Award.

But whatever else Randyll was, he was never a coward. Upset by Olenna Tyrell's backing of the "foreign" (actually Danerys was born at Dragonstone-part of Westeros) invader Daenerys Targaryen, Randyll decided that his vows to the throne outweighed his vows to his liege lords the Tyrells. Unfortunately for Randyll he didn't live long enough to reap the fruits of his actions. He made the critical mistakes of (a) meeting the Dothraki in the open and (b) fighting a battle with his younger son and heir Dickon present. The Tarly/Lannister forces were defeated. They threw down their weapons and surrendered. And then Daenerys burned Randyll and Dickon alive for the "crime" of not calling her their Queen. Everything she said she wasn't going to do, in this clip she did.

Now this was a mistake by Daenerys both morally and consequentially. It's immoral by both Westorosi standards and our own to murder prisoners who don't join your team. If the Tarly forces had decided to fight to the death like the Spartans at Thermopylae, then yes Daenerys can light them up with no compunctions. But the Tarlys surrendered. They had no weapons.

In real life when the Holy Roman Emperor captured King Richard The Lionheart, the English King refused to "bend the knee" or show any deference, stating that no one was superior to him but God. The Emperor didn't burn King Richard alive but chose to ransom him for 100,000 pounds of silver. This was normal business practice when dealing with noble and/or wealthy captured enemies. But instead Daenerys chose to burn two POWs for the "crime" of not joining her team. This is wrong. It is immoral. It is cruel.

And it was also ultimately counterproductive. When Sam learns that Daenerys murdered his father and (especially) his brother, he runs to Jon to tell Jon of Jon's true heritage. Sam not coincidentally takes the opportunity to put a very negative spin on Daenerys and her stability. Daenerys murdered the Tarlys purely from ego and spite. There was no military need to do so.

Similarly there was no military need to decimate King's Landing. Daenerys did it simply because she was lost in bloodlust and wanted to make everyone fear her. This is thoroughly indefensible. Regardless of what reasons Daenerys had, she committed a generation defining crime in King's Landing. People will remember it for decades.

Daenerys' actions were similar to those of English mercenary John Hawkwood and Cardinal Robert (later Pope Clement VII) at the sack/massacre of Cesena. Enemy soldiers have stopped fighting. Bells have rung signifying surrender. Daenerys and her forces nevertheless burn the city, murder untold numbers of men, women and children, and rape women (though this fate would also be shared by men and children in some cases).They kill people for fun. They kill people until they get tired of killing or run out of victims. That’s a war crime. In Westerosi culture and the European history which inspired it it was considered foul.

Lastly I think it's worthwhile remembering that GRRM was a conscientious objector to the Vietnam War. I believe he's maintained a generally antiwar stance since. War is not just glorious last stands against enemy hordes, cavalry arriving at the last minute to save the day, headlong charges into scattered enemies or righteous revenge against evil doers.

War is also Russian soldiers sacking Berlin and raping thousands of German civilian women and girls, women POWs, and even Russian women in the vicinity. War is American soldiers raping and murdering Vietnamese civilians at My Lai. War is American soldiers butchering Lakota women and children at Wounded Knee. War is Spanish conquistadors using war dogs on Taino children for fun. Daenerys' actions force us to reckon the true cost of war. GRRM is reminding us of what war is. War is not made nicer because a young woman starts it.

Winter is Coming

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull