Home

If no GF4, how bout a spin-off???

Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

If no GF4, how bout a spin-off??? - 06/09/04 05:58 PM

Even though there is a Godfather video game and book coming out this fall, which may get the GF4 rumors churning again, how about the idea of a spin-off movie for one of the characters?

Wouldn't you like to see the back story to Luca Brasi? His struggle to choose a family to be loyal to? It is my feeling that he was a kind of free agent... but sided with the Corleone family.

Are there any other characters out there besides him that could be worthy of a film?

One problem you would run into would be the rights of charatcers, and having to recast roles like that of Don Vito, Tessio, Clemenza, etc...

I just can't see anyone other than Brando or De Niro playing those roles. But who knows... De Niro might be up for it if the script is good, I mean he was in Showtime!

Your thoughts?
Posted By: AllAboutTheFamily

Re: If no GF4, how bout a spin-off??? - 06/09/04 07:39 PM

Wel.......are you crazy or just always on some sort of illegal substance? I'm kidding, I'm kidding but, for y=the love of God, please, I wish, with every fiber of my being, that there be NO spin off of The Godfather. With different people? NO WAY. With De Nero-NEVER. He would never be part of such ludacris.

And did you mean the thing about Showtime-because I hope you were joking.

This may sound a little insulting-but please don't take it that way. But having a spin-off of The Godfather just is'nt my cup of tea.
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: If no GF4, how bout a spin-off??? - 06/09/04 07:45 PM

If a GF4 is made, I'm sure it will have some sort of backstory on some of the minor characters from GF 1 and 2 telling us how they got where they were, but the last thing the trilogy needs is a spinoff. That would quickly kill the greatness of the movies. Leave spinoffs to tv shows and soap operas.
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: If no GF4, how bout a spin-off??? - 06/10/04 01:28 PM

I meant that if De Niro starred in a dirt loaf like Showtime, he should definitely be up for a GF spin-off if done right.

And you mean to tell me that you wouldn't go see a movie about Luca Brasi? Even if the cast, script, and director were top notch?

It wouldn't even have to mention the Godfather.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: If no GF4, how bout a spin-off??? - 06/10/04 02:11 PM

I don't know. There's been much discussion about GFIV with many against it. I understand the reasons why, but must admit, deep down, I kind of wish there was, even tho, depending on the completed version, it may not turn out as we would want.

Yet, I think taking a character/s from the GF series and telling his/their story might be a good idea. Instead of continuing or dwelling on the Corleone saga, tell the story of another character, or another of the families. We all like these kinds of movies, and a story about a character we know from the series might be interesting. Most likely if this were to happen, some reference likely would be made to the Corleones, but the story wouldn't have to be a "continuation" of GF saga.

As far as actors, I'm sure there are many very capable actors that would do well. It's just hard for us to imagine when we think in terms of the GF. Thinking in terms of a "new" story is the way to look at it.

TIS
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: If no GF4, how bout a spin-off??? - 06/10/04 02:25 PM

Here's an idea for a spinoff - 'Fredo's New World'. Begins immediately after Fredo's murder and we see his spirit ready to enter the pearly gates...only to be turned away by St. Peter who says, 'Sorry, son...not only were you by birth member of a powerful crime organization, but you betrayed your brother and now must pay the price. Since you were just too stupid in life to be capable of TRUE evil, you are saved from the flames of Hell. BUT...you must spend 40 years in pergatory atoning for your faults, learning from your mistakes...at the end of which time you will be re-evaluated for entry into God's Kingdom. And remember...this ain't no fishing trip, one Hail Mary just won't do the trick.

Followed by a series of delightful yet touching adventures and mishaps by which Fredo gradually redeams himself ... just in time to greet kid brother Michael once he's dropped dead in that tomato garden.

The two brothers embrace, this time with not tension, no anymosity, no jealousy...and walk hand in hand through St. Peters gate.

Wait, let me put it another way.

I would rather see them make a GFIV, GFV, and GFVI before accepting the idea of a 'spinoff' (not to mention one about Luca Brasi).

And I think most on the Board know how I feel about a GFIV.

Apple
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: If no GF4, how bout a spin-off??? - 06/11/04 11:18 AM

I don't think it's such a bad idea Deathbyclotheshanger. We're probably in a minority here though. I'd rather accept a spin off than another sequel.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET