Home

Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal?

Posted By: Liggio

Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/05/23 11:58 PM

Two members on this blog don't seem to think so, so I'm asking this entire community: Does the Montreal Mafia still exist? Are they recognized as Mafiosi by other mob families?
Posted By: Mafia101

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 12:22 AM

Why don't you start with showing us that they are their own official Mafia Family since that's what you're claiming.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 12:40 AM

They were part of the Cattolica Eraclea family closely linked to the Mafia in the old country, in particular the Cuntrera-Caruana Mafia clan, who came from the same region in Sicily as Rizzuto.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 12:52 AM

I'm asking for general opinions, I'm not claiming anything on this thread. I just want to know what this blog thinks, yay or nay.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 01:41 AM

Well you claimed it in another thread so let's talk about it. What makes you say they're a official Mafia Family. Yay and nay doesn't mean shit if you don't provide anything to back it up and if you're claiming some thing like you did the burden of proof is on you so let's hear it
Posted By: Malavita

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 06:26 AM

I have recently read the book La Source by Andrew Scoppa and what he describes is not an official Mafia family.

There's no induction and no formal hierarchy.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 06:56 AM

So let's stop calling it things like the Montreal Mafia or the Rizzuto Clan then.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 07:47 AM

Thanks Hollander, but you used the word 'were,' I'm talking about the present time. What exactly are they then? If they're not a structure, I suppose if they were in America it would be hard to hit them with RICO then.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 02:41 PM

And what Hollander said is really only true for a select few people. Domenico Manno was probably apart of the Cattolica Eraclea Family and probably transferred to the Bonannos but he's probably the only one without too much doubt that we could say was definitely apart of it. Nicolo Rizzuto might have been maybe Gerlando Sciascia and Giuseppe LoPresti and Calogero Renda sr

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 04:08 PM

All those people you mentioned are well-documented Mafiosi, quit trying to rewrite history.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 04:50 PM

Hey dummy why don't you actually listen to what I'm saying. I'll speak really slow for you to understand

Hollander said the Rizzutos were apart of the Cattolica Eraclea Family. He's saying Nicolo Rizzuto was a member of that Family. We do not know that Nicolo Rizzuto was a member of that Family. The only person that we can say without much doubt was a member of the Cattolica Eraclea Family and later became a Bonanno Family member is Domenico Manno.

Others who might have been apart of the Cattolica Eraclea Family and later became Bonanno members are Giuseppe LoPresti Gerlando Sciascia Nicolo Rizzuto and Calogero Renda sr

Hollander was speaking matter of factly when none of that is confirmed.

capisce?

None of this proves there is a official Mafia Family in Montreal or that there has ever been a official Mafia Family in Montreal.

Let me lay out the facts for you.

Montreal has had dozens of if not more Mafia members from many different Families working in the city. They have had American Mafia Family members there and Sicilian Mafia members there. Montreal has had Ndrangheta members and Camorra members there. The only Family that has had a official Mafia crew there is the Bonanno Family. The Bonanno Family is the Mafia Family that most Montreal names we know have belonged to. There has never been a official Mafia Family in Montreal that is known. Whatever the fuck Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito and Vittorio Mirarchi and others are running in Montreal today has never been identified as a Official Mafia Family. None of them have never been identified as official members of any Mafia organization.

Liggio please reread this a couple times before you reply with some stupid shit. The only people trying to rewrite history are the ones who call Vito Rizzuto a Mafia Boss.

Posted By: mike89

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 05:46 PM

I brought this up years ago asking if the Rizzuto's were actually LCN....I remember when Gravano mentioned on his podcast that there's no Montreal family and everyone went bananas.

Well maybe he's not that daft, no induction, no structure, its just loose as fuck and everyone seems to be doing their own thing.

Maybe they kept some traditional structure around 2004, but that seems to be long gone.
Posted By: Blackmobs

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 06:07 PM

When I first read this point a view if the Rizzuto were a mafia on the other post, I was like Mafia101 is bugging.
But when you think more and more about it, he could be on something, and he could be right.
Before the Violi’s they were part of the Bonanno, and were part of Cosa Nostra.
But after …. We really don’t know if the Rizzuto’s are official Cosa Nostra or simply an Italian organized crime group….
The media called them Mafia…but I think its really people who are active in the lifestyle that could answer.

In 2023, is Leonardo is a made guy ? And are is guys part of Cosa Nostra ? Or are they just wealthy italian gangsters ?

I like this post, and can wait to read all of youre answers…

Because the question is really a good one
Posted By: Giacalone

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 06:18 PM

There's no mafia family in Montreal, but there are groups that have leaders and some of those leaders are members of known organizations.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blackmobs
In 2023, is Leonardo is a made guy ? And are is guys part of Cosa Nostra ? Or are they just wealthy italian gangsters ?

He is not. They are just wealthy Italian gangsters.
Posted By: BensonHURST

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 06:28 PM

I was saying something similar on another thread
I get this info from a book and I read it so long ago I am probably only remembering about 70% correct.

When Massino sent Vitale to Canada and he offered Vito Rizzutto the position of CAPO of the Canada Crew.

He refused it and said my father deserves it.

I read no too long ago it ended up being pat on to Joe Renda at some point in time, he is missing and presumed dead.

Vitale was also trying to find out everything about C.A. how many buttons they had, how big the crew was and V.R.’s answer was:

We don’t have a leader there are 6 of us we are all equal among eachother.
Later on surveillance of their head quarters you can see if video SIX of them sitting around the table and dividing the money equally among the 6.

That is why I formed my opinion that they were not acting in a traditional American Cosa Nostra way.
More so like a drug cartel.

I wouldn’t say they are not a mafia family either.
What are they a Mexican Drug Cartel, LOL NO

I just think they had so much money coming in and wielded so much power that they just did whatever the fuck they wanted for the most part.

We know that Vito had strong ties to families in Italy.

I am thinking the started out as American LCN, moved away from that and ended being more so like an Italian family italy.

So many different families in Italy and for the most part they do what they want.
Nobody tells a boss of an Italian mafia family that when he inducts someone he has to be holding a gun for example.

Just my Cents

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 06:30 PM

Would like to have the opinions of @NYMafia @TheKillingJoke and @furio_from_naples
For this question, always like to read their opinions on the mob.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 06:32 PM

Except the Ndrangheta groups all over the world.

We could ask ourself the same question for many other sicilian crime group ?
Is the Sicilians crime group in Australia is part of the Mafia or Cosa Nostra ? For example.

Also, if the Rizzuto are not Mafia… are the Violi in Hamilton and there group are the only Cosa Nostra group in Canada ?

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by mike89
I brought this up years ago asking if the Rizzuto's were actually LCN....I remember when Gravano mentioned on his podcast that there's no Montreal family and everyone went bananas.

Well maybe he's not that daft, no induction, no structure, its just loose as fuck and everyone seems to be doing their own thing.

Maybe they kept some traditional structure around 2004, but that seems to be long gone.

In 2004 they were apart of the Bonanno Family still.

Originally Posted by Blackmobs
When I first read this point a view if the Rizzuto were a mafia on the other post, I was like Mafia101 is bugging.
But when you think more and more about it, he could be on something, and he could be right.
Before the Violi’s they were part of the Bonanno, and were part of Cosa Nostra.
But after …. We really don’t know if the Rizzuto’s are official Cosa Nostra or simply an Italian organized crime group….
The media called them Mafia…but I think its really people who are active in the lifestyle that could answer.

I like this post, and can wait to read all of youre answers…

Because the question is really a good one

I'm not on to something I am right. I'm being a bit of a dick about this but it's because from at least the 1950s when Carmine Galante arrived all the way to the 2000s with Vito Rizzuto they were apart of the Bonanno Family without question.

Anyone arguing that they weren't have a couple extra chromosomes and don't know what they're talking about. But I do invite any of them to present their case.

Whatever the fuck Leonardo Rizzuto Stefano Sollecito and all the others are running now is a mystery to what they actually are. Anyone saying anything else is making shit up.

Originally Posted by Giacalone
There's no mafia family in Montreal, but there are groups that have leaders and some of those leaders are members of known organizations.

Who exactly are you referring to and what organizations?

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mafia101

'Ndrangheta, LCN

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 07:47 PM

Things were always done differently in Canada.
Even the Buffalo crews were not structured as traditional LCN, crews.

Going back to Massino sending Vitale to find out how many made men they have.
So they were a crew of the Bonanno’a that had authority to induct new members, order murders with out the bosses approval.

That’s not TRADITIONAL.

So I think it safe to say there were never any traditional LCN crews in Canada, from the beginning.

Sammy the Bull is really dumb.

He def was never someone that knew much about the historical origins of LCN in America let alone abroad. He doesn’t know a lot about a lot things LCN, so I would not point to that as anything.

Just listen to his podcast and the way he tells stories you will see what I mean.
That does not take away from the fact that his time on the street he was a stone killer and he yielded a lot of power and influence.

He just was never groomed to be in the admin, he stepped into the position we all know how and why.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 07:52 PM

'Ndrangheta, LCN

Okay.. who?

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 08:04 PM

'Ndrangheta, LCN

Okay.. who?

Well, Vito Rizzuto was a member of the Bonanno family for example. The Calabrians had some 'Ndrangheta members like Dominico Scarfo

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by BensonHURST

So they were a crew of the Bonanno’a that had authority to induct new members, order murders with out the bosses approval.

That’s not TRADITIONAL.

So I think it safe to say there were never any traditional LCN crews in Canada, from the beginning.

He def was never someone that knew much about the historical origins of LCN in America let alone abroad. He doesn’t know a lot about a lot things LCN, so I would not point to that as anything.

Just listen to his podcast and the way he tells stories you will see what I mean.
That does not take away from the fact that his time on the street he was a stone killer and he yielded a lot of power and influence.

He just was never groomed to be in the admin, he stepped into the position we all know how and why.

Joe Massino didn't send Sal Vitale up there to find out how many guys they had.

That's not true. What isn't traditional about the crews in Montreal and the Hamilton area? They were a group of Mafia Associates and Members ran by a Mafia Captain. Where did you read Montreal could order their own murders? Gerlando Sciascia asked permission to kill Giuseppe LoPresti even though Sal Vitale and Anthony Spero got the impression it already happened. What inductions did they hold on their own? A remote crew being allowed to see to their own affairs to a certain extent isn't non traditional either. Anthony Arilotta talks about of Al Bruno being like the Boss of Springfield but they were still a Genovese crew.

You guys are making stuff out of nothing.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 08:16 PM

'Ndrangheta, LCN

Okay.. who?

Well, Vito Rizzuto was a member of the Bonanno family for example. The Calabrians had some 'Ndrangheta members like Dominico Scarfo

Vito Rizzuto has been dead for 10 years and Dominic Scarfo isn't a leader of anything and his status as a Ndrangheta member is up for debate.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 08:28 PM

Vito Rizzuto has been dead for 10 years and Dominic Scarfo isn't a leader of anything and his status as a Ndrangheta member is up for debate.

I didn't say all of them were leaders, but Mirarchi has been named as a member of the 'Ndrangheta. He might be considered a leader.

We don't know much about what happened to the Bonanno connection after Vito's death. Some say there wasn't much of a connection prior to his death. It will be interesting to see my friend. We gotta be patient.

Much of what is going on today is up for debate obviously, but some parts of history aren't.

There is no mafia in Montreal, but historically there have been people there who've been members of certain organizations.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 08:41 PM

You literally did say they're leaders lol Vittorio Mirarchi has been called a Ndrangheta member by media but no one can tell us what Ndrangheta clan he belongs to. His Ndrangheta status is in doubt.
Posted By: eastsideofvan

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 08:52 PM

Finding out how many guys was at least one of their reasons, according to Sal Vitale. Vitale's testimony quoted directly From "Mafia Inc": (As a special bonus I am also bolding the part that you claimed in a previous post I had made up) lol (Mafia101's favourite emoticon)

“At some point after the murder of George, did you go to Canada?”

“Yes.”

“Why did you go to Canada?”

“Joe Massino wanted me to go up there to speak to Vito [Rizzuto], to get what was going on, to familiarize ourselves [with] what was going on in Canada now that George was dead.”

“Did you go alone?” Andres asked.

“No, I went with Anthony Urso,” Vitale replied. Urso had just been named acting consigliere for the Bonanno family.

“When you were up there, did you attempt to put somebody in George’s place with respect to his position in the Bonanno family [that of captain responsible for the Montreal crew]?”

“I probed the area; who did they respect up there. Who is the man up there. Vito said: ‘We are all brothers. We are all equals.’ First, he was very annoyed that no one told him about George. I don’t think he believed that it was a drug deal gone astray.”

“What else did you discuss with Vito when you were in Canada?”

“How many individuals—how many made men are in Canada. He told me nineteen.”

“Do you know who paid for the trip to Canada?” the prosecutor asked.

“The Bonanno family paid for it … I laid out the money for the hotel, for the food, for me and Tony [Urso], and when I got back, Joe [Massino] said, ‘How much did you lay out?’ and I said, ‘Nine hundred.’ He gave me the nine hundred.”

The Bonanno family wanted to make Vito Rizzuto captain in Gerlando Sciascia’s stead. Vitale insisted, but Vito refused the promotion and suggested his father. There was no doubt that the murder of George from Canada had upset him: they were both from Cattolica Eraclea originally, they got along well, and they had worked together to build a new heroin pipeline; furthermore, no one had consulted Vito before executing his friend. And Vito saw no benefit in taking Gerlando Sciascia’s place. For one thing, the position would have required regular travel to New York, which would have been difficult, since he knew he could not cross the U.S. border without risking arrest.

Several members of the Montreal Mafia attended the meeting with the two New York envoys, Vitale and Urso. Vito purposely left an empty chair at the table—the one that should have been occupied by Gerlando Sciascia. He asked the Bonanno captain and consigliere many questions about the circumstances of Sciascia’s murder. He was clearly furious and didn’t believe for one moment that his friend had been killed because of a botched drug transaction. After the meeting broke up, Urso accompanied Vito Rizzuto to some choice Montreal bars and restaurants. Another participant in the meeting, Joe Di Maulo, left with Vitale. Good-Looking Sal thought his number was up: he was sure he was being led into a trap and would be taken out. Instead, Di Maulo took him to meet some other members of the Montreal crew.

That’s not TRADITIONAL.

That's not true. What isn't traditional about the crews in Montreal and the Hamilton area? They were a group of Mafia Associates and Members ran by a Mafia Captain. Where did you read Montreal could order their own murders? Gerlando Sciascia asked permission to kill Giuseppe LoPresti even though Sal Vitale and Anthony Spero got the impression it already happened. What inductions did they hold on their own? A remote crew being allowed to see to their own affairs to a certain extent isn't non traditional either. Anthony Arilotta talks about of Al Bruno being like the Boss of Springfield but they were still a Genovese crew.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 09:20 PM

You literally did say they're leaders lol Vittorio Mirarchi has been called a Ndrangheta member by media but no one can tell us what Ndrangheta clan he belongs to. His Ndrangheta status is in doubt.

Sorry for the confusion. I was merely trying to show that there is/was an 'Ndrangheta/LCN presence in Montreal and not some type of structured "mafia" family calling the shots. Mirarchi's status is in doubt, I agree. I am however leaning towards believing he is a member of the 'Ndrangheta, simply because he has been named as a member by informants and a few reputable news outlets who have pretty good LE sources.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 09:31 PM

There is from a Canadian documentary.

Rizzuto Network
David Barbero
Lortis Cavalieri
Gino Constantine
Carmelo Cannestraro
Liborio Cuntrera
Marco Pizzi
Francesco Sollecito
Giuseppe Sollecito
Mario Sollecito
Mario Spagnolo
Vincenzo Spagnolo
Vito Salvaggio
Steven Di Paola
Steve Vogl
Antonio Cinquino
Leonardro Rizzuto
Stefano Sollecito
Domenico Salerno

Cafe Bellerose
Stefano Broccoli
Michael Sciaraffa
Rocco Sollecito Jr.
Lorenzo Giordano Jr.
Fabio Chimenti
Marco Landuci
Lucio Di Paola
Carlo Sciaraffa
Tony Tallarita
Emanuele Ragusa
Giancarlo Pesce
Stello Tutino

Clan Violi
Domenico Violi
Giuseppe Violi

The Calabrians
Franco Albannese
Antonio Gallo
Moreno Gallo Jr.
Antonio Mucci
Carmine Vanneli

Clan Annunziata
Luigi Annunziata
Maurizio Annunziata
FNU Annunziata

Clan Cazzetta
Salvatore Cazzetta
Salvatore Brunetti

Clan Focarazzo
Giuseppe Focarazzo
Anthony Abate
Louis Brissette
Patrizio Ruso
Frederic Lavie

Clan Ville Lasale
Giuseppe Arcorao
Pietro Dadamo
Pietro Monte

Clan Mirarchi
Vito Mirarchi
Alessandro Sucapane
Reynald Desjardins (IP)
Jonathan Mignaca
Calogero Milioto
+ Multiple names I am unable to read

Steve Sport Par
Ciro Di Mauro
+ Multiple names I am unable tor read

Attached picture clan-2-1.jpg

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 09:32 PM

I never claimed they didn't leave an extra chair open how would I know if they did that or not and I dont remember speaking to you about that.

I've read the book a couple times and I've read The Sixth Family and a few of the other Montreal books and they all have different accounts of what happened at this meeting. One book even brings up another visit to Montreal by Sal Vitale that isn't mentioned in either Mafia Inc or The Sixth Family. Some books say Vito Rizzuto refused the Captain position and suggested to offer it to his father another book claims Sal Vitale makes Nicolo Rizzuto the Captain and another claim is that Sal Vitale left Montreal leaving Vito Rizzuto as the Acting Captain. So using passages from these books as any type of evidence when they all recount a different story of the same meeting or meetings doesn't hold much water. You also left out the last line on the page where it says something along the lines of "despite all of this Vito Rizzuto remained a good Soldier."

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 09:54 PM

It has never been clear. The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) considers the family a faction of the Bonanno crime family, while Canadian and most other international law enforcement agencies recognize it as an independent crime family.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 10:11 PM

You just don't have the stones to admit that you're wrong.

Meanwhile you have the arrogance to respond to everyone else's post with laughing emoticons as if everyone else is an idiot and you know everything. Meanwhile this is how easy it is to catch you in a lie. lol lol lol lol lol

The posts were:

I made a typo on the date; you're right to call me on that - it was a 2001 meeting not a 2004 meeting, but the substance of the meeting is the same.

An empty chair sat at the head of the table to the right of Rizzuto to symbolize the missing Sciascia. It was absolutely Rizzuto's intention to send a clear signal that he was done with the Bonannos. Maybe he didn't say "go fuck yourself" but that was the clear implication and thus why Massino was so upset with the results of the meeting - his third attempt at an entreaty with the Rizzutos in the same year.

I never said the Bonannos were relying on Desjardins I was saying that FACTION was the only faction that would take the Bonanno's calls - and I'll stand by that.

Again, this is all documented in the books I have already cited which you have not read.

Do you know how to read?

You responded

Reply Quote Report Email Post
Re: Bonanno Don “Mikey Nose” at war w/Cammarano bros [Re: eastsideofvan] #1050232 02/01/23 05:16 PM
Mafia101 Offline
M
Capo
UsA
It isn't documented in any of those books lol just stop it already.

I never claimed they didn't leave an extra chair open how would I know if they did that or not and I dont remember speaking to you about that.

I've read the book a couple times and I've read The Sixth Family and a few of the other Montreal books and they all have different accounts of what happened at this meeting. One book even brings up another visit to Montreal by Sal Vitale that isn't mentioned in either Mafia Inc or The Sixth Family. Some books say Vito Rizzuto refused the Captain position and suggested to offer it to his father another book claims Sal Vitale makes Nicolo Rizzuto the Captain and another claim is that Sal Vitale left Montreal leaving Vito Rizzuto as the Acting Captain. So using passages from these books as any type of evidence when they all recount a different story of the same meeting or meetings doesn't hold much water. You also left out the last line on the page where it says something along the lines of "despite all of this Vito Rizzuto remained a good Soldier."

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 10:35 PM

Nothing I have said is wrong lol and I don't think everyone is a idiot only a select few like Liggio and now you if you seriously think that reply was specifically directed to the chair thing lol obviously it was talking about your claims that Vito Rizzuto told Sal vitale Joe Massino to go fuck themselves and that they broke off and the Bonanno Family is now relying on Raynald Desjardins to take them out. Talk about leaving out the context to fit your argument lol

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/06/23 11:12 PM

Good thing then that nobody cares what you think.

Arguing with you is like arguing with a woman, even when the truth is shoved right in your face you twist and wiggle your way out of taking any accountability.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 12:10 AM

Eastside you just tried putting words in my mouth by taking what I said and applying it to one specific thing you said without the context of the actual conversation. That is not showing the truth that's being manipulative and dishonest to bolster your argument.

Instead of arguing about posts from two months ago why don't you show us evidence of a official Mafia Family in Montreal if that's what you believe? The burden of proof is on everyone who believes the Rizzutos are their own Family.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 12:38 AM

Apparently the Rizzutos became their own crime family whenever Joe Massino ordered the murder of Bonanno captain Gerlando Sciascia.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 01:49 AM

That's the popular story but we know its not true. Multiple sources show Montreal stayed with the Bonanno Family years after Gerlando Sciascia was killed.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 04:40 AM

Deleted. Cut that shit out NOW!
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Liggio
Apparently the Rizzutos became their own crime family whenever Joe Massino ordered the murder of Bonanno captain Gerlando Sciascia.

Not exactly:

Did Montreal break off from the Bonanno Family after the murder of Gerlando Sciascia in 1999?

After becoming a cooperating witness Bonanno Underboss, Sal Vitale, revealed that emissaries were sent to Canada to name a new captain of the Montreal decina. Vitale, who was one of the Bonannos sent to Montreal said he offered Vito Rizzuto the position, but he turned it down and instead suggested it go to his father. There are conflicting reports on what happened after this, Daniel Renaud's Vito Rizzuto: La Chute Du Dernier Parrain book has Vitale confirming Nicolo Rizzuto as Captain of the Montreal decina but Andre Cedilot & Andre Noel's Mafia Inc book has Vitale leaving Montreal with the Captain position vacant and states "The assassination of George from Canada would cast a permanent pall over relations between the Bonanno family and the Rizzuto clan. But business continued. And Vito remained a good soldier." Sal Vitale also testified the last known position he knew Vito Rizzuto held was Acting Captain.

As stated in the Court of Appeal, Rizzuto v. United States Of America, 2004, "The appellant is described by an informer as “an extremely powerful and influential member of the Canadian faction of the Bonanno family.” He still pays his dues to the family every year."

Dominick Cicale, a former Bonanno Captain revealed that he was told by Baldo Amato that Sal Montagna was acting as a liaison to Montreal and collecting tribute from them in the early/mid 2000s, a tribute that was increased as well. Although Baldo has been off the street serving a life sentence he received in 2006, he carried a lot of influence on the younger Sicilian Bonannos, including Sal Montagna. Cicale also claimed Basciano was receiving drug shipments from Canada.

Cicale's claim is later supported by recorded conversations between Joe Massino and Vinny Basciano in MDC Brooklyn in 2005. One of the conversations was about Montagna travelling to Canada to find his cousin work. Another conversation discussed how Canada sent word they wanted a certain associate placed with Montagna. A third topic of conversation between the two Bonanno leaders was the recent death of Montreal Bonanno Soldier, Frank Cotroni Sr., and how his death added another slot for upcoming inductions.

Both versions of the aftermath of Vitale's meetings show Montreal was still apart of the Bonannos organization after Sciascia's murder. The discussions between Basciano and Massino in 2005, along with Cicale's statements show the Bonannos, via Montagna, had ongoing interests in or with their Canadian counterparts. Furthermore, the discussions show Montreal was involved with internal Bonanno matters, requesting an associate with be placed with the conduit between NY and Montreal, I.e. Montagna. Therefore, we can reasonably say that no separation between Montreal and the Bonannos happened during or in the time shortly after Sciascia's 1999 murder.

Source: Vito Rizzuto: La Chute Du Dernier Parrain by Daniel Renaud, Mafia Inc by Andre Cedilot & Andre Noel. Court of Appeal, Rizzuto v. United States Of America, 2004, Salvatore Vitale's testimony, Basciano trial, 2006. The Cicale Files by Dominick Cicale & Ed Scarpo. Vincent Basciano & Joseph Massino's recorded conversations inside MDC Brooklyn, 2005.

It’s fair to assume they broke off somewhen before or right after Sal Montagna’s betrayal.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 08:18 AM

We already know the history. Vito was kicking up to New York long after Sciascia was murdered. That may have ended when Montagna started working with the french guy, but it's all guesswork at this point. Why are people calling them a crime family when no one has any idea if they have making ceremonies or anything of that nature? As far as we know, these are just guys who inherited a drug empire.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 09:18 AM

That’s not TRADITIONAL.

101- I read it in a book the 6th family.

I don’t have time to “MAKE SHIT UP”

It is clear to see that your mother never taught you how to play nice in the sand box.

The first sign of wisdom is “KNOWING WHAT YOU DONT KNOW”

I’ll admit I have not read that book in many years so I might not have remember everything 100%
I have no problem looking through the book again to refresh my memory.

I don’t think I need to now because EASTOFVAN pretty much just smacked you in UR MUG, with facts.

If you were 1/2 a man you would fess up and apologize, admit you were wrong.
If your mother never taught you how to play nice in the sand box, she probably never taught you how to admit when you are wrong.

So don’t think your capable.

You could have just asked me where my information
Was from because you never heard that before, before accusing me of making shit up.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 09:42 AM

We already know the history. Vito was kicking up to New York long after Sciascia was murdered. That may have ended when Montagna started working with the french guy, but it's all guesswork at this point. Why are people calling them a crime family when no one has any idea if they have making ceremonies or anything of that nature? As far as we know, these are just guys who inherited a drug empire.

I hear what you are saying and it makes sense.
However, they are Italian some of the members were made into LCN, and that is for life.
A lot of them were the from when they were referred to as the Rizzutto family or the Montreal family.

It’s more Semantics at this point.

I said they OPERATE LIKE a drug cartel.
Not that they are.

Technically- is Chicago still an LCN family?
Do we know if they still have making ceremonies?

I personally think they do.
What about Detroit, if go down that rabbit hole we can start to question alot.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 09:59 AM

Eastside you just tried putting words in my mouth by taking what I said and applying it to one specific thing you said without the context of the actual conversation. That is not showing the truth that's being manipulative and dishonest to bolster your argument.

Instead of arguing about posts from two months ago why don't you show us evidence of a official Mafia Family in Montreal if that's what you believe? The burden of proof is on everyone who believes the Rizzutos are their own Family.

Rizzutto is the head of the Montreal Mafia because the “ EXPERTS” THE REAL EXPERTS” the guys that make a living and get paid to write about this topic, that are best selling authors, are on T.V. they consult with L.E. at times.

And the fact that L.E. refers to Rizzutto as the head of the Montreal Mafia.

So if you want to challenge their resume go ahead and post-

1) Why you are more of an expert than Humphreys and L.E. (To name just 2)
2) Your proof as to why they are no longer considered the Montreal Mafia.

Recent Tweet from Humphreys:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/lo...onardo-rizzuto-wounded-in-laval-shooting

101 has been drinking from his own cool-aid, afterwards he crowned himself king.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by furio_from_naples

Rizzuto Network
David Barbero
Lortis Cavalieri
Gino Constantine
Carmelo Cannestraro
Liborio Cuntrera
Marco Pizzi
Francesco Sollecito
Giuseppe Sollecito
Mario Sollecito
Mario Spagnolo
Vincenzo Spagnolo
Vito Salvaggio
Steven Di Paola
Steve Vogl
Antonio Cinquino
Leonardro Rizzuto
Stefano Sollecito
Domenico Salerno

Cafe Bellerose
Stefano Broccoli
Michael Sciaraffa
Rocco Sollecito Jr.
Lorenzo Giordano Jr.
Fabio Chimenti
Marco Landuci
Lucio Di Paola
Carlo Sciaraffa
Tony Tallarita
Emanuele Ragusa
Giancarlo Pesce
Stello Tutino

Clan Violi
Domenico Violi
Giuseppe Violi

The Calabrians
Franco Albannese
Antonio Gallo
Moreno Gallo Jr.
Antonio Mucci
Carmine Vanneli

Clan Annunziata
Luigi Annunziata
Maurizio Annunziata
FNU Annunziata

Clan Cazzetta
Salvatore Cazzetta
Salvatore Brunetti

Clan Focarazzo
Giuseppe Focarazzo
Anthony Abate
Louis Brissette
Patrizio Ruso
Frederic Lavie

Clan Ville Lasale
Giuseppe Arcorao
Pietro Dadamo
Pietro Monte

Clan Mirarchi
Vito Mirarchi
Alessandro Sucapane
Reynald Desjardins (IP)
Jonathan Mignaca
Calogero Milioto
+ Multiple names I am unable to read

Steve Sport Par
Ciro Di Mauro
+ Multiple names I am unable tor read

The absence of a strong leader, will hurt them more in the future.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 01:20 PM

That’s not TRADITIONAL.

101- I read it in a book the 6th family.

I don’t have time to “MAKE SHIT UP”

It is clear to see that your mother never taught you how to play nice in the sand box.

The first sign of wisdom is “KNOWING WHAT YOU DONT KNOW”

I’ll admit I have not read that book in many years so I might not have remember everything 100%
I have no problem looking through the book again to refresh my memory.

I don’t think I need to now because EASTOFVAN pretty much just smacked you in UR MUG, with facts.

If you were 1/2 a man you would fess up and apologize, admit you were wrong.
If your mother never taught you how to play nice in the sand box, she probably never taught you how to admit when you are wrong.

So don’t think your capable.

You could have just asked me where my information
Was from because you never heard that before, before accusing me of making shit up.

The Sixth Family makes the claim they're their own Family and that Vito Rizzuto had hundreds of made men in his own Family but offered no proof of any of that. The book was fantastic for a history of police investigations and court cases but missed the mark when it came to anything related to Mafia structure.

I haven't been wrong about anything I've said and all Eastofvan did was fabricate conversations. I don't need to ask you where your information is from because it was wrong. The crews in Canada were and are traditional.

Rizzutto is the head of the Montreal Mafia because the “ EXPERTS” THE REAL EXPERTS” the guys that make a living and get paid to write about this topic, that are best selling authors, are on T.V. they consult with L.E. at times.

And the fact that L.E. refers to Rizzutto as the head of the Montreal Mafia.

So if you want to challenge their resume go ahead and post-

1) Why you are more of an expert than Humphreys and L.E. (To name just 2)
2) Your proof as to why they are no longer considered the Montreal Mafia.

Recent Tweet from Humphreys:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/lo...onardo-rizzuto-wounded-in-laval-shooting

101 has been drinking from his own cool-aid, afterwards he crowned himself king.

If you have been paying attention to anything I've been saying you would see that I've said we have no idea what the Montreal Mafia is currently. There has been no info that has come out publically and shown any of them are LCN or Ndrangheta or anything else. I'm not saying I'm more of an expert than anyone except for some of you here lol but I absolutely will challenge any journalist or anyone for that matter who claims Montreal or Hamilton are their own official Mafia Families because there hasn't been any proof of that.

You talk about law enforcement considers them their own Family but in any of the multiple police investigations and court cases that have taken place in the last 15 years none have ever used any LCN terminology like Capodecina/Caporegime Consigliere SottoCapp/Underboss CapoMafia/Boss/Rappresentante or anything like that. In the most recent book from Montreal La Source/Inside the Montreal Mafia the book about Andrea Scoppa there is a quote from a former RCMP officer who worked many of these cases and he said they remain under the thumb of the Bonanno Family. So that's law enforcement at the highest level in Canada saying the exact opposite of what you are.

I already told you and Liggio the burden of proof is on you guys who are making the claim not me. And so far none of you have shown they are their own Family but still insist they are.

Did anyone actually read what Luankuci posted? It probably sent a few of you for a ride since for the last 24 years you thought the Rizzutos became the Sixth Family after Gerlando Sciascia died lol

Let me lay out the facts for you again.

Montreal has had dozens of if not more Mafia members from many different Families working in the city. They have had American Mafia Family members there and Sicilian Mafia members there. Montreal has had Ndrangheta members and Camorra members there. The only Family that has had a official Mafia crew there is the Bonanno Family. The Bonanno Family is the Mafia Family that most Montreal names we know have belonged to. There has never been a official Mafia Family in Montreal that is known. Whatever the fuck Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito and Vittorio Mirarchi and others are running in Montreal today has never been identified as a Official Mafia Family. None of them have never been identified as official members of any Mafia organization.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by furio_from_naples

Nice chart. What’s the documentary’s title?
I’ll try and see if I can get the same image in a higher resolution.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 03:56 PM

101- Did NOT see you acknowledge the fact that you were wrong about Massino and Vitale.
?

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 04:13 PM

I wasn't but that's funny how you're caught up on that instead of addressing everything else I said.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 04:18 PM

Technically speaking, they don't have to have an initiation ceremony to be considered a clan or a crime family. Lots of Camorra clans and other mob groups throughout Italy don't have them, yet they're still considered clans. In America they'd be called crime families, terminology varies from country to country.
Posted By: m2w

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 04:44 PM

Technically speaking, they don't have to have an initiation ceremony to be considered a clan or a crime family. Lots of Camorra clans and other mob groups throughout Italy don't have them, yet they're still considered clans. In America they'd be called crime families, terminology varies from country to country.

yes, in Italy there are several clans (mostly Camorra) that are charged with mafia-type association despite they have not initiation rituals

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 05:12 PM

I wasn't but that's funny how you're caught up on that instead of addressing everything else I said.

I will address each part of your post one by one.

My experience when posts are long a lot of posters skip over certain parts because they don't feel like reading a book.
I am probably the biggest offenders of that, with the books I post.

I want to keep this small and that one small so no one can lost on anything.

The reason I chose to address just that first is because you are caught "DEAD TO RIGHTS" for all the posters to see.

You made a statement that was 1000% false after accusing me of "MAKING SHIT UP"
I am waiting I want to see and everyone to see how you handle this.

What says YOU?

Let me guess NOTHING ?

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 05:36 PM

This isn't the gotcha moment you think it is. Someone said Sal Vitale went to Montreal to find out how many members there were. I said that wasn't true and that's right Sal Vitale didn't go to Montreal with the sole reason to find out how many members there were. It might of been discussed but that wasn't why he was there. That's like saying Sal Vitale went to Montreal to go sightseeing because Joe Di Maulo drove him aroundlol Sal Vitale's main purpose in Montreal was to take their pulse and appoint a new Captain. If you want to consider this a win for you because you're nitpicking and splitting hairs then go ahead. You won Bensonhurst enjoy it.

So anyway now that I've addressed your pettiness could you please show me any evidence that Montreal has their own official Mafia Family? I think I've asked enough times already.

And if you think a couple paragraphs is a book and too long to read maybe forums aren't for you.lol

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 06:14 PM

This isn't the gotcha moment you think it is. Someone said Sal Vitale went to Montreal to find out how many members there were. I said that wasn't true and that's right Sal Vitale didn't go to Montreal with the sole reason to find out how many members there were. It might of been discussed but that wasn't why he was there. That's like saying Sal Vitale went to Montreal to go sightseeing because Joe Di Maulo drove him aroundlol Sal Vitale's main purpose in Montreal was to take their pulse and appoint a new Captain. If you want to consider this a win for you because you're nitpicking and splitting hairs then go ahead. You won Bensonhurst enjoy it.

So anyway now that I've addressed your pettiness could you please show me any evidence that Montreal has their own official Mafia Family? I think I've asked enough times already.

And if you think a couple paragraphs is a book and too long to read maybe forums aren't for you.lol

I am right and YOU ARE WRONG, and that is a FACT.

I didn't win anything REALLY because I wasted my precious time that I can never get back going back and forth with a 1/2 TROLL, that GETS OFF on arguing with people on forums.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 06:26 PM

I'm asking you to prove what you're claiming and you're talking about something completely different. Kinda speaks volumes when you guys are asked for proof and no one can bring any up. lol

Disagreeing with you isn't being a troll btw you guys are just use to reading the shit off of Wikipedia and posting it here. So when someone comes in and says something different you think it's trolling lol
Posted By: VitoCahill

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 06:43 PM

i would say that there is indeed a mafia family in montreal. it was once a top to bottom structured family. through decades of internal war the structure of the family has changed. whether any of the cells/crews operating in city are recognized officially by other families is a mute point. there have been large arrests over past 2 decades involving all the same crimes american lcn members get charged with. gambling,drugs,prostitution,extortion,bid rigging what have you. the members have been arrested and charged as members of the montreal mafia. so whether other families consider them a family dont matter if other oc groups in city and more importantly law enforcement recognizes them as such.
montreal has 10-12 different cells led by italian members with some italian associates. simply because there is no record of an initiation ceremony is irrelevant. throughout the entirety of the history of la cosa nostra,'ndrangheta,cammora etc. if we weigh how many possible ceremonies have been carried out against how many we conclusively know actually happened we would be left with a very small number of confirmed ceremonies. how many ceremonies have been caught on video/tape? not many.
and not all criminal groups mafia or otherwise have to share the same rigid structure and setup. to be honest the american mafia structure of a top to bottom pyramid hasnt exactly had great success rate by comparison. so maybe a decentralized cell structure without an overall #1/BOSS and administration could have a better chance of alluding law enforcement penetration.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 07:15 PM

I disagree Vito. Whether any other LCN Families recognize them as a LCN Family is the only point. If they don't have recognition as their own independent LCN Family they're not a official Family. If they aren't recognized as Amico Nostra they're not even apart of LCN. The same for Ndrangheta if they aren't recognized they aren't apart of that organization no matter who their Family is or their history in any of these organizations. Being Italian and a criminal doesn't make you a mafia member. Having a group of Italians and being criminals doesn't make you a Mafia Family.

Now I agree it's a moot point in the criminal sense because if they're not apart of any organization and are just some ragtag wannabe mobsters living off of their relative's legacies it obviously hasn't affected them. The Hells Angels the Ndrangheta the drug suppliers all still do business with them. But whether other criminal groups do business with them isn't the question at hand.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by VitoCahill
i would say that there is indeed a mafia family in montreal. it was once a top to bottom structured family. through decades of internal war the structure of the family has changed. whether any of the cells/crews operating in city are recognized officially by other families is a mute point. there have been large arrests over past 2 decades involving all the same crimes american lcn members get charged with. gambling,drugs,prostitution,extortion,bid rigging what have you. the members have been arrested and charged as members of the montreal mafia. so whether other families consider them a family dont matter if other oc groups in city and more importantly law enforcement recognizes them as such.
montreal has 10-12 different cells led by italian members with some italian associates. simply because there is no record of an initiation ceremony is irrelevant. throughout the entirety of the history of la cosa nostra,'ndrangheta,cammora etc. if we weigh how many possible ceremonies have been carried out against how many we conclusively know actually happened we would be left with a very small number of confirmed ceremonies. how many ceremonies have been caught on video/tape? not many.
and not all criminal groups mafia or otherwise have to share the same rigid structure and setup. to be honest the american mafia structure of a top to bottom pyramid hasnt exactly had great success rate by comparison. so maybe a decentralized cell structure without an overall #1/BOSS and administration could have a better chance of alluding law enforcement penetration.

AGREED 1000%

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 07:53 PM

as stated on other thread they are indeed a mafia family. i would like to see the other families go up and tell said members in montreal that they arent legit. the very fact that outside groups have not really been a part of these internal wars as good proof other families do indeed recognize the authority and territory of those in charge of montreal.
and to the point of the rizzutos being a drug cartel they would have been part of a cartel like setup along with other groups in and out of the city. this setup indeed did exist in 1999 up to about 2004.

the rizzuto crime family at this time being a united fully functioning family with its own administration and different cells/crews operating across quebec and ontario. in this case we had...

Vito you just said this in the other thread. I want to ask how do we know no one has told them we don't recognize you as Amico Nostra? Everyone here should know the infamous Cuntreras the other half of the Cuntrera and Caruana clan. For years and to this day people call these guys Mafia royalty and their family name is well established in LCN in Sicily Canada and South America. But in Project Otremens the police agent who was a member of the Bonanno Family told police that Joe Todaro the Buffalo Boss told Natale and Rocco Luppino that he does not recognize Joe and Paolo Cuntrera and Natale and Rocco Luppino agreed they should not recognize them. How could the Buffalo Family call into question the membership status of people who belong to the blood family of such well regarded and respected Mafiosi? To make matters more complicated the Bonanno Family does recognize the Cuntreras as Amico Nostra. My point being we never would've known the Cuntreras membership is questioned if we didn't have the police agent tell us.

The very fact other Mafia Families haven't gotten involved proves nothing and isn't exactly a fact. When Sal Montagna tried taking over Montreal he was in contact with NYC and when Nicolo Rizzuto Jr died and when Sal Montagna died meetings were held by the Bonanno Family. When Vito Rizzuto got out of prison he was rumored to have met Bonanno and Gambino members. All of that shows this was very much a internal LCN matter that involved the Bonanno Family at all points. By the time the dust settled the Bonanno crew in Montreal was decimated and that is when we see the kids of all these former members take over. When Sal and Andrea Scoppa start fighting Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito there were reports that Sal Scoppa had the approval of the Mafia in Italy and in Toronto. In both cases we have examples of outside involvement but we haven't had a inside source breakdown what actually happened and that's the problem.

Too many of us are speaking matter of factly saying they are a Mafia Family with their own administration or they're members of this organization or that organization when we have no proof of that.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 08:09 PM

I'm asking you to prove what you're claiming and you're talking about something completely different. Kinda speaks volumes when you guys are asked for proof and no one can bring any up. lol

Disagreeing with you isn't being a troll btw you guys are just use to reading the shit off of Wikipedia and posting it here. So, when someone comes in and says something different you think it's trolling lol

1) It is GENERALLY ACCEPTED on this forum that what L.E. states as facts we accept as facts. I.E. if L.E. states the Mafia family in Montreal is called the Rizzuto Family, I.E. if L.E. states that Leonardo Rizzuto is the leader of what is left of the Rizzuto Crime family, we here on the forum will accept that as fact.

2) It is also GENERALLY ACCEPTED on this forum that known authors, journalists, expert opinions are again accepted as facts. I.E. if Jerry Capeci says the Boss of the Bonanno Crime family is Mike Mancuso Or Adrian Humphreys states that the again Leornardo Rizzutto is the new leader of the Montreal/Rizzutto Crime family than those opinions are accepted as facts.

Let me point out I said generally meaning almost always now that does not mean that we accept every statement made by anyone in L.E. at any time, that also does not mean that we will not challenge what L.E. or Experts state as facts from time to time. That is why I said GENERALLY.

With that said in scenarios to whereas L.E. and the most prominent experts are in agreement than we just about ALWAYS ACCEPT THEIR OPINION AS FACT IN THIS FORUMN.

So again, if we have local L.E. the RCMP, Adrian Humphreys, Antonio Nicaso and Peter Edwards all state and agree to the following:

That: The Rizzutto Crime Family is the Montreal Crime family, and that Leonardo Rizzutto is now the head of what's left of the Montreal/Rizzutto Crime family than that is what the forum accepts as fact.

If you 101 wants to challenge what and who we on the forum accept as fact, then you 101 need to PROVE OTRHERWISE.

Let me break this news to you 101 you are NOT THE EXPERT and that is another fact.

1) State your case.
2) State why you believe what you believe.
3) Show us in writing where you are getting your information to form your opinions.

.Why would anyone have to prove anything to you?

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 08:38 PM

1. Glad you say that. As recently as 2020 in the book La Source/Inside the Montreal Mafia a RCMP agent says they're under the Bonanno Family.

2. When Jerry Caoeci states something he cites a source. Canadian journalists authors and experts throw around Mafia titles and labels incorrectly constantly. Several authors journalists and experts have and keep making mistakes with this on subjects that aren't even in question. Their word isn't law. Them saying something doesn’t make it so.

Once again because it's very apparent that reading isn't your strong suit. I never said I was a expert. I am not making a claim of anything except that we do not know what the people in Montreal are.

You have to prove it to me because you're making unsubstantiated claims and I am asking for the evidence that supports your claim. This shouldn't have to be explained. When you say something is so the burden of proof is on you not the person who disagrees with it.

Follow your own 3 steps of presenting your claim. How do we know Montreal is their own Family? In the very first it was asked if they're their own Family and some of you said they were but not one of you have provided any sort of evidence of it.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 08:47 PM

were the stidda and sacra corona unita immediately recognized by la cosa nostra in sicily as separate distinct mafia families? or the nuova cammorra for that matter.
and official to whom...recognized by whom. the commission? please.it no longer functions as some overall governing body that sets down rules for the entirety of mafia groups in north america. it may serve this purpose currently for the remaining american families but not continent wide and hasnt for a very long time.
if? montagna was in contact with ny bonannos they gave him little help on that account and on trying to take over montreal.

and by yer reasoning the rizzuto crime family was that in 2012 at time of VITO RIZZUTOS release. V.R. was BOSS of said family with connections and equal status amongst both american families as u allege (bonanno,gambino) and toronto based 'ndrangheta groups. however there is no proof of who he met with amongst toronto based bonannos or gambinos. i know of none in 2012 operating in toronto. at least not members who could meet one on one with V.R. same can be said for 'ndrangheta groups. one on one with a commisso or carmine verduci perhaps one of the figliomenis for sure but we do not know.

in sept 2012 just before release an alliance was created t control drug trafficking amongst the rizzuto crime family,hells angels montreal chapter and gregory woolley allied street gangs. this alliance lasted until 2015.

so we are to believe that V.R. was BOSS of this family fully recognized by american mafia and 'ndrangheta with an existing alliance with local crime groups in montreal from 2012 to his death in dec 2013 but upon his death nobody recognized there strength,power and legitimacy since. absurd. if that was case why did HA and woolley continue to import distribute and make large amounts of money selling cocaine and other drugs on the streets of montreal with them?

why havent the bonannos,gambinos,'ndrangheta or anyone outside of quebec made a push to get rid of them and install a legit family. i was of the belief that the violis may have been behind some of it in the past. but there has been no valid proof of this. there also is no proof of who if anyone backed the scoppas in there attempt to overthrow the rizzutos. there has been claims of visits to toronto and meetings amongst the scoppas and 'ndrangheta in toronto but no names have ever come up. the same can be said for vittorio mirarchi. no proof to this day that he is a member of 'ndrangheta. none. he has only be described as a member of the montreal mafia.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 09:11 PM

They're recognized as another criminal organization just as bikers or Albanian or whoever but they are not recognized as Amico Nostra. That's completely different than recognizing another LCN Family. Rochester operated as a LCN Family but they didn't have recognition by the Commission and other Families. To them they were just Italian criminals. The Commission never acted as a governing body for all Mafia groups in North America it was only for LCN Families. The Commission is still said to be around John Pennisi has talked about it and Project Otremens had recorded conversations of Dom Violi talking about it and how they invited Joe Todaro to be apart of it.

What help were the Bonanno Family suppose to give? They're not shipping guys out to fight some war. Them giving Sal Montagna the authority to go to Montreal and try to reorganize the crew could of been all it was.

Vito Rizzuto has only ever been recognized as a Bonanno Soldier or maybe a Bonanno Acting Captain. In 2012 when he met with alleged Bonanno and Gambino members presumably that's still what he was recognized as. I never said he met with Toronto based Bonanno and Gambino members.

What does the Hells Angels street gang and Mafia alliance have to do with anything that we're talking about? I never said Vito Rizzuto was recognized as a Boss when he got out of prison. What are you even talking about? I never said no one recognized their strength or power I actually said the exact opposite of that. You're having trouble understanding what being recognized by LCN means.

What do you mean why haven't the Bonanno or Gambinos or Ndrangheta pushed them put and take over Montreal for themselves? I could ask why have the Bonanno or Gambino or Ndrangheta gone to any place and take over the rackets. What kind of question is that?

I completely agree with everyone you said in that last little bit. There's no proof the Violi brothers have had anything to do with anything that happened in Montreal except for some meetings that took place with Sal Montagna. The Mafia in Italy and Toronto that was said to have backed Sal and Andrea Scoppa is unknown. Vittorio Mirarchi has been called a member of the Ndrangheta but there has been no proof of it. Glad we finally agree on something here.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 09:45 PM

were the stidda and sacra corona unita immediately recognized by la cosa nostra in sicily as separate distinct mafia families? or the nuova cammorra for that matter.
and official to whom...recognized by whom. the commission? please.it no longer functions as some overall governing body that sets down rules for the entirety of mafia groups in north america. it may serve this purpose currently for the remaining american families but not continent wide and hasnt for a very long time.
if? montagna was in contact with ny bonannos they gave him little help on that account and on trying to take over montreal.

and by yer reasoning the rizzuto crime family was that in 2012 at time of VITO RIZZUTOS release. V.R. was BOSS of said family with connections and equal status amongst both american families as u allege (bonanno,gambino) and toronto based 'ndrangheta groups. however there is no proof of who he met with amongst toronto based bonannos or gambinos. i know of none in 2012 operating in toronto. at least not members who could meet one on one with V.R. same can be said for 'ndrangheta groups. one on one with a commisso or carmine verduci perhaps one of the figliomenis for sure but we do not know.

in sept 2012 just before release an alliance was created t control drug trafficking amongst the rizzuto crime family,hells angels montreal chapter and gregory woolley allied street gangs. this alliance lasted until 2015.

so we are to believe that V.R. was BOSS of this family fully recognized by american mafia and 'ndrangheta with an existing alliance with local crime groups in montreal from 2012 to his death in dec 2013 but upon his death nobody recognized there strength,power and legitimacy since. absurd. if that was case why did HA and woolley continue to import distribute and make large amounts of money selling cocaine and other drugs on the streets of montreal with them?

why havent the bonannos,gambinos,'ndrangheta or anyone outside of quebec made a push to get rid of them and install a legit family. i was of the belief that the violis may have been behind some of it in the past. but there has been no valid proof of this. there also is no proof of who if anyone backed the scoppas in there attempt to overthrow the rizzutos. there has been claims of visits to toronto and meetings amongst the scoppas and 'ndrangheta in toronto but no names have ever come up. the same can be said for vittorio mirarchi. no proof to this day that he is a member of 'ndrangheta. none. he has only be described as a member of the montreal mafia.

Vito, take my advice here your dealing with a TROLL, here all he wants to do is argue with every and anyone.
I usually do not let myself get dragged into something like this but he made a JERKED OFF comment, I since BITCH-SLAPPED HIM, he admitted he was wrong in front of the Forum.

That is the best I think anyone is going to get out of him.

REMEMBER - TROLLS GET OFF WHEN YOU ARGUE BACK WITH THEM.
He has not been on here very long; my guess is that he WAS BANNED not too long ago waited a minute and started a new account.
He is doing his best to keep his TROLLING to a minimum, so nobody catches on.
He just is not able to totally control himself, from his mommy's basement.

I see a couple of posters are making the point I believe that there was a total collapse of the Rizzutto family, who was once the ALL MIGHTY, and we do not know what is left. AGREED.

My response was/is the most that we have is LE and Expert Opinions that we have traditionally accepted as fact.

You are one of most knowledgeable posters on here when it comes to Canada and your opinion is respected as far as I am concerned.

If we minus this JO out of the THREAD it was actually a pretty good one, alot of posters voicing their opinions, and disagreeing amicably.

After this post I am going to put 101 on the 'SHELF" by blocking him, anyone can do this through our own account, the result is when he posts something you will never see it.

So, moving forward I will never know what he has to say again I will never see it.
AND THATS THAT.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 09:51 PM

I agree decentralized organization can work out fine, but there is also a great risk of instability. Look for example at the current violence in Napels.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/07/23 09:52 PM

Spend some time with your families people lol. Life's too short to argue over such petty things. I'm sure at some point Leonardo Rizzuto or some other high-level player will rat his ass off and set the record straight for every disgruntled poster in here

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 01:55 AM

All these insults Benny but no evidence supporting what you're sayinglol I'll say it again disagreeing is not being a troll. Some of you guys just read stuff of off Wikipedia and call it gospel. I've asked how many times for some proof and still haven't received it.

I respect Vito and consider him one of the best posters here on Montreal and we've spoken privately about this before and we obviously disagree. But with all due respect to him he hasn't provided any evidence Montreal was their own Family with their own administration either becuase he can't.

It's not a coincidence whenever this question is asked anywhere on here or other forums mob groups or reddit the people who make the claim of this can't provide anything to back it up.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 03:36 AM

It's interesting that there are a Moreno Gallo Jr and Lorenzo Giordano Jr..
And 5 Sollecito brothers.
Posted By: CabriniGreen

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 04:50 AM

as stated on other thread they are indeed a mafia family. i would like to see the other families go up and tell said members in montreal that they arent legit. the very fact that outside groups have not really been a part of these internal wars as good proof other families do indeed recognize the authority and territory of those in charge of montreal.
and to the point of the rizzutos being a drug cartel they would have been part of a cartel like setup along with other groups in and out of the city. this setup indeed did exist in 1999 up to about 2004.

the rizzuto crime family at this time being a united fully functioning family with its own administration and different cells/crews operating across quebec and ontario. in this case we had...

Vito you just said this in the other thread. I want to ask how do we know no one has told them we don't recognize you as Amico Nostra? Everyone here should know the infamous Cuntreras the other half of the Cuntrera and Caruana clan. For years and to this day people call these guys Mafia royalty and their family name is well established in LCN in Sicily Canada and South America. But in Project Otremens the police agent who was a member of the Bonanno Family told police that Joe Todaro the Buffalo Boss told Natale and Rocco Luppino that he does not recognize Joe and Paolo Cuntrera and Natale and Rocco Luppino agreed they should not recognize them. How could the Buffalo Family call into question the membership status of people who belong to the blood family of such well regarded and respected Mafiosi? To make matters more complicated the Bonanno Family does recognize the Cuntreras as Amico Nostra. My point being we never would've known the Cuntreras membership is questioned if we didn't have the police agent tell us.

The very fact other Mafia Families haven't gotten involved proves nothing and isn't exactly a fact. When Sal Montagna tried taking over Montreal he was in contact with NYC and when Nicolo Rizzuto Jr died and when Sal Montagna died meetings were held by the Bonanno Family. When Vito Rizzuto got out of prison he was rumored to have met Bonanno and Gambino members. All of that shows this was very much a internal LCN matter that involved the Bonanno Family at all points. By the time the dust settled the Bonanno crew in Montreal was decimated and that is when we see the kids of all these former members take over. When Sal and Andrea Scoppa start fighting Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito there were reports that Sal Scoppa had the approval of the Mafia in Italy and in Toronto. In both cases we have examples of outside involvement but we haven't had a inside source breakdown what actually happened and that's the problem.

Too many of us are speaking matter of factly saying they are a Mafia Family with their own administration or they're members of this organization or that organization when we have no proof of that.

Bruh... they technically don't HAVE to recognize Sicilian mafia members on American territory, if they arnt on record with an American LCN family. This is basic shit, it's how they hold onto their sovereignty.

Pennisi said this on one of his shows. It's like what Violi did way back in the 70s, same shit.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 04:52 AM

1. Glad you say that. As recently as 2020 in the book La Source/Inside the Montreal Mafia a RCMP agent says they're under the Bonanno Family.

2. When Jerry Caoeci states something he cites a source. Canadian journalists authors and experts throw around Mafia titles and labels incorrectly constantly. Several authors journalists and experts have and keep making mistakes with this on subjects that aren't even in question. Their word isn't law. Them saying something doesn’t make it so.

Once again because it's very apparent that reading isn't your strong suit. I never said I was a expert. I am not making a claim of anything except that we do not know what the people in Montreal are.

You have to prove it to me because you're making unsubstantiated claims and I am asking for the evidence that supports your claim. This shouldn't have to be explained. When you say something is so the burden of proof is on you not the person who disagrees with it.

Follow your own 3 steps of presenting your claim. How do we know Montreal is their own Family? In the very first it was asked if they're their own Family and some of you said they were but not one of you have provided any sort of evidence of it.

That same book Scoppa said it was lip service and thst being a made man meant nothing up there. Don't do that, cherry picking....

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 10:45 AM

Lip service or not it doesn't matter and someone who wasn't a member and very vindictive said it didn't matter anymore. Not a very credible source so it isn't cherry picking and how many times have we've heard from non members that being made meant nothing anymore? I think we could find sources from going back to 1970s of that and every time we later find out by people who were actually made that it meant everything in that life. If anything that just proves my point more that we don't know what's going on with the current guys who run things.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 11:14 AM

In another wire-tapped phone conversation with Giacomo Luppino, Paolo Violi berated Bill Bonanno, the son of Joseph Bonanno, as he stated, "I told you that if I was to know that Bonanno was coming up again, I would tell him what a dishonest man he is. I would have gone myself and shown him what I thought of him...I would have told him, 'I'm not with you nor with him. I'm by myself. I don't want to have anything to do with anyone, because you're all a bunch of bastards'. The way things stand today that the abboccatoes [regions] will split and everyone will be on their own. I'm telling you that, in Montreal, we will be alone by ourselves."
Violi's brash, cocky and arrogant approach and lack of respect for his elders did not make him friends in the underworld.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hollander
In another wire-tapped phone conversation with Giacomo Luppino, Paolo Violi berated Bill Bonanno, the son of Joseph Bonanno, as he stated, "I told you that if I was to know that Bonanno was coming up again, I would tell him what a dishonest man he is. I would have gone myself and shown him what I thought of him...I would have told him, 'I'm not with you nor with him. I'm by myself. I don't want to have anything to do with anyone, because you're all a bunch of bastards'. The way things stand today that the abboccatoes [regions] will split and everyone will be on their own. I'm telling you that, in Montreal, we will be alone by ourselves."
Violi's brash, cocky and arrogant approach and lack of respect for his elders did not make him friends in the underworld.

Wow I guess we know why what happened to him happened to him.
This was after Galante was gone or was in jail I am assuming?

Don’t think he would have been talking that way with Galante still around?

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 11:38 AM

I don't know the timeframe I believe somewhere around 74/75.
He was wiretapped for some time, and they did the same with his son Domenico recently.
After being promoted to underboss, Violi is heard on wiretaps boasting that "he had beaten out 30 other people for the position,"

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 11:54 AM

Lip service or not it doesn't matter and someone who wasn't a member and very vindictive said it didn't matter anymore. Not a very credible source so it isn't cherry picking and how many times have we've heard from non members that being made meant nothing anymore? I think we could find sources from going back to 1970s of that and every time we later find out by people who were actually made that it meant everything in that life. If anything that just proves my point more that we don't know what's going on with the current guys who run things.

To say Scoppa isn't credible, isn't credible. Anything the authors couldn't verify, they didn't publish. Everything they could find verified sources for, they provided in triplicate, from what I remember...
It's like I like the Cicale book. I think some stuff true, other stuff silly. This guy presents Vito like he's completely under Massinos thumb, and yet this same guy thinks the Bronx more remote than Montreal to a Brooklyn guy ( he described the Bronx being like a foreign planet, in comparison to Montreal being an ACTUAL foreign city in another country..) he recently called Lilo " Carmine Gigante" on his podcast. Does this insanity invalidate everything he's said? No, but I don't just buy everything either. Thst goes for Scoppa too...

Bro... have you seen the last, I dunno... 5 or 6 assessments of the OC landscape up there? Rhetorical question, I'm not tryna troll you. Bonnanos haven't been mentioned in at least 2 or 3 years. This is part of what baffles me about current conversations about it. After Morena....Just tell me the Bonnanos man in Montreal and I'll leave it alone...

That thing with Buffalo I believe was them realizing they essentially allowed their Montreal asset to first decay and atrophy, then abdicated control to the Rizzutos who saw themselves more as Sicilian mafia than American LCN. And NY only ever cared about Montreal so far as the drugs were coming, and even THAT was primarily the Sicilian contingent. After the Pizza Connection bust wiped out the NY Bonnano Sicilians, did any Americans step in?

It's very telling to me the Bonnanos picked cocaine to move into when they took the first steps toward maybe rebuilding if not their regime, at least repairing their influence up there. Why not gambling? Why not the Construction? Because I don't believe they had the pressence to move into those activities. They don't have the active members, the muscle...

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 02:14 PM

In this specific instant of Andrea Scoppa speaking about ceremonies and inductions he is not that credible as a source because he isn't a LCN member and is a vindictive person. You read his opinion on anyone who slighted him so maybe if he didn't get button he would downplay it saying it means nothing. We see this time and time again from non members who down play being made and then we get accounts from people who were actually made and they tell us your button means everything in that life. I'm not dismissing it but we can't take it at face value and say that's that because Andrea Scoppa said so.

I have read all the recent reporting on Montreal. Now answer my question did you read this thread and see what I was actually saying? I never said the Bonanno Family still controls Montreal. I'm saying we don't know what is going on in terms of the organization up there. If you're Sicilian you're called Cosa Nostra and if you're Calabrian you're called Ndrangheta and if you're any other Italian no you're not. We have absolutely no info about what these guys actually are. We don't know if they're considered LCN or Ndrangheta or if they even have any formal membership in any organization. For all we know they could be groups of ragtag Italians playing Mafia.

This post is about whether there is a official Mafia Family in Montreal and for the people who say there is you guys still haven't seen provide evidence of that. The drugs construction and gambling isn't relevant to the questions at hand so I have no desire to talk about it.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 02:36 PM

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...us-florissante-dans-un-libre-echange.php

a very good article posted on this site before about current structure of mafia and OC in general in montreal.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 02:45 PM

mafia101 i dont understand the central question of being officially recognized. if there is no overall ruling body that makes said decisions who is this authority deciding which mafia/criminal groups are official or not?

my inclusion of the info about the alliance with HA and woolley street gangs was only to illustrate that of all the mafia cells,factions or groups the hells angels and woolley could have teamed up with they chose rizzuto/sollecito and those allied with them. rizzuto/sollecito must then carry some significant weight in the milieu for said alliance.

i always enjoy current topics such as this and we can all disagree without being so disagreeable. i was without power for a couple days and would have enjoyed to jump in sooner. alas could not summon enough interweb particles to do so. it may have taken hours to post even this with the sludgy inconsistent power lately.

oh well.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 02:48 PM

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...se-montrealais/la-nouvelle-normalite.php

another very good article describing current structure and administration.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 03:07 PM

mafia101 i dont understand the central question of being officially recognized. if there is no overall ruling body that makes said decisions who is this authority deciding which mafia/criminal groups are official or not?

my inclusion of the info about the alliance with HA and woolley street gangs was only to illustrate that of all the mafia cells,factions or groups the hells angels and woolley could have teamed up with they chose rizzuto/sollecito and those allied with them. rizzuto/sollecito must then carry some significant weight in the milieu for said alliance.

i always enjoy current topics such as this and we can all disagree without being so disagreeable. i was without power for a couple days and would have enjoyed to jump in sooner. alas could not summon enough interweb particles to do so. it may have taken hours to post even this with the sludgy inconsistent power lately.

oh well.

I already brought up how in Project Otremens there were recordings discussing the Commission during that time period and how Joe Todaro was invited to join it. There's much more needed to observe what role the Commission plays today but based on this it does look like it's still functioning.

Vito to me it looks like you're thinking if other LCN Families don't recognize the group led by Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito as a official Mafia Family or even Amico Nostra meaning LCN members then they have no status in the criminal underworld. That is not the case as we clearly see they're considered 2nd only behind the Hells Angels in Montreal. I use Rochester as a example again because they didn't have recognition but they still ran rackets in their city without issue. They were still respected criminals just as Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito are but in the eyes of LCN members they are not members of the organization. That is what I'm trying to drive at here.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 03:12 PM

mafia101 assuming you r correct that the mafia in montreal is not "officially" a recognized mafia family along the same criteria as the genovese for example. does it change anything? the murder,arson,gambling and drug dealing will not stop. nothing changes. we will never know either way regardless. is there an official opening ribbon cutting of a commission sanctioned amico nostra family? whether the are or arent we will never know without a cooperating witness to confirm.

if the commission or some other body exists that would make such a judgement does indeed still exist those in the montreal mafia are not listening and not following any of the rules. so for those that want to include the mtl mafia in a list of current active families in north america they can. and those that dont recognize it dont include. seems easy. and hardly worth all the arguing.

and to another of yer points about being italian,associating with other italians and committing crimes does not make u a mafia family you r correct it does not...but its a good start.

i find montreal the most interesting OC city because of all the questions it still poses about structure,administration the sheer number of intersecting criminal groups and rackets.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 03:32 PM

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2021/10/08/le-clan-mafieux-rizzuto-est-de-retour-en-force

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 03:56 PM

I agree that MTL as well as the Buffalo-Ontario family are remarkable topics given their fluidity in terms of affiliations and criminal identity

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 08:19 PM

That helps put things into perspective a little.
So the theory of that the Rizzutto family is just a few of the sons of Italian decent dealing drugs should be out to rest after that article.

The MOST POWERFUL I think rebuts that theory.

The second part is that we are talking about the Rizzutto Crime Family.

They were NEVER A LCN FAMILY.

About a dozen or so members of the Rizzutto Crime Family were also members of the Bonanno Crime Family.

Big difference.

As such the Rizzutto’s never followed LCN rules to begin with.

They made all their own rules and NOBODY had the right to tell them what to do or how to do it.
And NOBODY DID.

So the fact that SCOPPA said they no longer had an initiation ceremony SO WHAT?

Or the fact that some member of L.E. said they were under the thumb of the Bonnano’s.
SO WHAT?

Maybe the guy is new, Maybe is just stupid, Maybe he was misquoted.
SO WHAT? Everyone knows he is wrong.

The fact remains that The Rizzutto Crime Family made their own rules back then at their height under Vito, and they are doing the same under Vito’s son.

And we now have confirmation that they are again the most powerful.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 08:48 PM

Also, I stated earlier that “THINGS WERE ALWAYS DONE DIFFERENTLY IN CANADA”

So just about every member of the Canada Crew of the Bonanno Family was also a member of the Rizzutto Crime Family.

A lot of the members of the Buffalo Canadian Crew were also members of other families.

That was the norm in Canada, members were members of two families.

Where in American LCN, has that happened?

Almost never maybe a few members were also memebers of the Sicilian Mafia, very few certainly not common.

As I stated things were ALWAYS done differently in Canada, so to point to that now as something really means nothing.

Things in Canada today are the same as they always were which is DIFFERENT.

So if you point to something different as they say “ There is NO, THERE, THERE.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/08/23 09:17 PM

mafia101 assuming you r correct that the mafia in montreal is not "officially" a recognized mafia family along the same criteria as the genovese for example. does it change anything? the murder,arson,gambling and drug dealing will not stop. nothing changes. we will never know either way regardless. is there an official opening ribbon cutting of a commission sanctioned amico nostra family? whether the are or arent we will never know without a cooperating witness to confirm.

if the commission or some other body exists that would make such a judgement does indeed still exist those in the montreal mafia are not listening and not following any of the rules. so for those that want to include the mtl mafia in a list of current active families in north america they can. and those that dont recognize it dont include. seems easy. and hardly worth all the arguing.

and to another of yer points about being italian,associating with other italians and committing crimes does not make u a mafia family you r correct it does not...but its a good start.

i find montreal the most interesting OC city because of all the questions it still poses about structure,administration the sheer number of intersecting criminal groups and rackets.

Vito again I'm not saying they aren't recognized. I'm saying we do not know. If they are not officially recognized nothing changes in the sense of what they're currently doing and you're acting like I'm saying it does. The topic of this post was asking if there is a official Mafia Family in Montreal and some are say there is without providing any evidence of it. I've been trying to make it clear if they aren't recognized it isn't a official Mafia Family.

If there is a Commission or not doesn't really matter. You said there wasn't and I said we actually have recent recordings of LCN members talking about the Commission.

I agree Montreal and Canada in general is among the most intriguing topics because of all of the mysteries and the activity in these areas. It's just annoying there's all of these inaccurate descriptions of these guys with people making claims that aren't supported at all and even go against what is already known about them.

Almost everything Bensonhurst just said is wronglol he has no understanding of LCN and just a few posts ago was saying he goes by what law enforcement says but when I quote a RCMP agent and it doesnt support what he has claimed he says it doesn't matter now anymore lol

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/09/23 12:26 AM

a very good article posted on this site before about current structure of mafia and OC in general in montreal.

oh well.

I already brought up how in Project Otremens there were recordings discussing the Commission during that time period and how Joe Todaro was invited to join it. There's much more needed to observe what role the Commission plays today but based on this it does look like it's still functioning.

Vito to me it looks like you're thinking if other LCN Families don't recognize the group led by Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito as a official Mafia Family or even Amico Nostra meaning LCN members then they have no status in the criminal underworld. That is not the case as we clearly see they're considered 2nd only behind the Hells Angels in Montreal. I use Rochester as a example again because they didn't have recognition but they still ran rackets in their city without issue. They were still respected criminals just as Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito are but in the eyes of LCN members they are not members of the organization. That is what I'm trying to drive at here.

And yet, the Sicilian Mafia killed Fernandez. Was it for Rizzuto? Or because he bullshitted on being able to arrange exctasy imports? Did Sicily recognize Vito? Remember he was at the head of that failed bridge consortium... what were the Rizzutos seen as in Sicily?

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/09/23 12:37 AM

The Bonannos are probably the most Sicilian family of the 5 families connections with Canada and Sicily are still there.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/09/23 02:36 AM

The Bonannos are probably the most Sicilian family of the 5 families connections with Canada and Sicily are still there.

Gambino’s are headed by Sicilians they are more than in bed with the INZERELLO’s that are Sicilian family.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/09/23 08:35 AM

In this specific instant of Andrea Scoppa speaking about ceremonies and inductions he is not that credible as a source because he isn't a LCN member and is a vindictive person. You read his opinion on anyone who slighted him so maybe if he didn't get button he would downplay it saying it means nothing. We see this time and time again from non members who down play being made and then we get accounts from people who were actually made and they tell us your button means everything in that life. I'm not dismissing it but we can't take it at face value and say that's that because Andrea Scoppa said so.

I have read all the recent reporting on Montreal. Now answer my question did you read this thread and see what I was actually saying? I never said the Bonanno Family still controls Montreal. I'm saying we don't know what is going on in terms of the organization up there. If you're Sicilian you're called Cosa Nostra and if you're Calabrian you're called Ndrangheta and if you're any other Italian no you're not. We have absolutely no info about what these guys actually are. We don't know if they're considered LCN or Ndrangheta or if they even have any formal membership in any organization. For all we know they could be groups of ragtag Italians playing Mafia.

This post is about whether there is a official Mafia Family in Montreal and for the people who say there is you guys still haven't seen provide evidence of that. The drugs construction and gambling isn't relevant to the questions at hand so I have no desire to talk about it.

I mean bro, to me it doesn't matter how vindictive Scoppa was or wasn't, because thats not the only thing I'm going off. You think Cicale wasn't vindictive? He ratted, lol just like Scoppa. Again, stop cherry picking bro. REALITY has shown non made guys having power over, and authority over men who are in fact made. Seriously, name one NY connected Bonnano of consequence, TODAY. Go ahead, you say it means something...NOT if they don't establish a " Market share" on violence, which the Hells Angels pretty much " own" after that Biker War. The Rizzutos showing such indecision when Nick Jr. was hit hurt their standing in the streets in a way I don't think they ever recovered from.

Its like we cant ever get anywhere beyond this tired ass whos made discussion.... Like what is this obsession with what ever the Sixth family authors wrote? All the books say the same shit, do we throw them ALL out? The Commision never ratified a Montreal family. Facts. The Cupola never ratified a Montreal family. FACTS. The Bonnanos had an official decina, but it's ONE DECINA! It was for a time THE dominant aspect of Montreal OC, but not the ONLY aspect. To use Canadian parlance, they don't have, maybe never had the numbers to take up that much space in the milieu......they ruled by a kind of consensus...I don't think people realize, this will be a hot ass take, but the Mafia doesn't even rule all of Sicily. It's the most dominant group, but you got Stiddari, those independent Catanian clans, clans in Messina, many groups are capable of consolidating both territorial control, and economic viability, these things are not impossible in absence of LCN ranks. I actually tried to make a thread "across the street" about how the OC landscape in Messina was eerily similar to Canada.

TELL ME THIS DOESNT SOUND LIKE THE STRUCTURE IN CANADA...
Cosa Nostra and the division of the areas in the Messina capital
In the capital, a “cell” of the Cosa Nostra in Catania was reported to be operating, attributable to the Romeo-Santapaola family, capable of coexisting with other clans mainly oriented in drug trafficking and in the management of clandestine bets;
Replace the Santapaolo decina, with a Bonnano decina, swap Messina for Montreal, and substitute the Bikers, French Canadians, Lebanese or whoever with the Messina organizations and the overall Organized crime STRUCTURE is pretty similar, at least to me....

At some point, the Central reference for ORGANIZED CRIME IN QUEBEC, became this weird Caruana- Cuntrera/Rizzuto- Renda- Manno alliance, which to me, STRUCTURALLY, is VERY similar to the transatlantic Ndrangheta clans, very similar to the transatlantic Gambino- Inzerillo clan, very similar to the family based structure you see in Naples.

This same family based structure is outlined in the first few pages of Business and Blood..... but throw it out, it's all nonsense, right?

Without question, the Rizzutos bucked Bonnano leadership, ( and actually, initially, I don't think they resisted Bonnano leadership, more like VIOLIS leadership, it was more personal I think..) and seemed to take direction from the Caruana- Cuntreras. Which Nicolo did on direction from Tommasso Buscetta when he consulted him about his official affiliation, and was encouraged to "assert himself". Bonnano influence diminished over time, and everything started to revolve around business, not the rigidity of mafia structure. Why the Hell else would they be revolving around powerful Hells Angels today? How does Del Balso get his house raided, and questioned in a murder attempt of his supposed to be sitting boss and meet with a Biker about after? Like... what?

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/09/23 09:05 AM

Never Argue With A Fool
From A Distance You Can’t Tell Who is Who… .

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/09/23 01:11 PM

How are you going to say it doesn't matter if Andrea Svoppa was vindictive or not? It completely matters because it goes to his credibility. It's not cherry picking. It's very obvious he wasn't a member of any organization so when he says traditions mean nothing it doesn't hold any water. What non made guy had held power over guy we know was made for sure. What does Dominick Cicale have to do with anything? He was vindictive when it came to guys like Michael Mancuso and Vinny Basciano but the little he said about Montreal about them still being apart of the Bonanno Family and sending drug shipments to Vinny Basciano and Sal Montagna being the one to collect tribute is supported by other info.

You're just rambling at this point you're arguing against things that weren't even said.
Posted By: mike89

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/10/23 05:48 AM

Fuck me

Its proper kicked off this thread

You love to see it.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/11/23 07:53 AM

How are you going to say it doesn't matter if Andrea Svoppa was vindictive or not? It completely matters because it goes to his credibility. It's not cherry picking. It's very obvious he wasn't a member of any organization so when he says traditions mean nothing it doesn't hold any water. What non made guy had held power over guy we know was made for sure. What does Dominick Cicale have to do with anything? He was vindictive when it came to guys like Michael Mancuso and Vinny Basciano but the little he said about Montreal about them still being apart of the Bonanno Family and sending drug shipments to Vinny Basciano and Sal Montagna being the one to collect tribute is supported by other info.

You're just rambling at this point you're arguing against things that weren't even said.

It doesn't matter because they found multiple sources of corroboration, as opposed to simply relying on whatever Scoppa said. You think the authors didnt KNOW he was vindictive? They said as much, lol, multiple times throughout the book. Did you READ it? Same with Cicale. What does Cicale have to do with anything? If you just gonna whine and not read, and deflect, i got no time for that lawyer- type nonsense debating style. It was an example of a rat whom i dont believe EVERYTHING he says, but dont discount it either out of some stupid personal bias. A lot of serious researchers really respect Pennisi. Half that guys post are vindictive and petty. What rat isn't vindictive and petty? I saw a video where DiLeonardo insinuated Gravano was gay. Petty. I just did an eyeroll...

I write all that and you say I didn't say nothing. Buddy, your argument is basic as fuck and TIRED. It's the Montreal reciprocal of the Buffalo argument. The Buffalo detractors argue no matter what semblance of structure there is, there isn't enough ACTIVITY to constitute a viable LCN borgata. The Montreal argument is that whatever the level of criminal activity, there is no STRUCTURE OR FORMAL RECOGNITION OF SUCH, that this " organized crime entity" could be called an LCN borgata. Completely fine. But you weirdos act like thats the end of the conversation.

Let it come out the Bonnanos and Domenico Violi are making a play and watch how the tune changes...

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/11/23 12:47 PM

There's a lot in the book that isn't confirmed by other sources. Cabrini you're rambling on about things that aren't related to what was asked in this post. It's not whining or deflecting it's being uninterested in getting into anything other than the topic at hand. I'm not dismissing anything Andrea Scoppa said just because I don't believe it. I dismiss what he said about traditions and and Omerta having no meaning because he wasn't a member. We have over 100 years of history that have shown a bunch of non members have shared this opinion but has later on been disproven by actual members. The authors offered no type of corroboration with Andrea Scoppa's statement.

You accuse me of not reading and yet you still think I'm claiming Montreal has no structure or recognition in a organization. I never claimed that. I'm not sure if I need to cap lock it like you do so you see it or what but here you go I NEVER CLAIMED THAT.

Without any information saying they are apart of any organization and or they have recognition as their own Family it kinda is the end of the conversation. Any claims of that without the evidence to back it up is called speculation and that's all fine and dandy but when people are speaking in absolutes saying this is how it is because Vito Rizzuto told the Bonannos to fuck off in 1999 but can't offer any type of evidence when asked to do so multiple times that's where the line is drawn.

The tune always changes when new information comes out Cabrini that is how it works. When we don't know what exactly is going on but then we get info that explains it it changes.

I'll post this again so maybe you actually read it

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/11/23 02:55 PM

Bonanno underboss Carmine Galante in Montreal (Quebec, Canada)
In 1953 Carmine Galante arrived in Montreal and Pretula and Ship start to work for him, Galante also got the former thief Earl Carluzzi to Montreal to control labour. The Cotroni and Violi brothers worked for Bonanno and his underboss Galante. Bonanno's cousin Stefano Maggadino didn't like that because Canada belonged to his territory because he rules Hamilton via his capo Luppino and Toronto via his capo Volpe. Volpe had been sponsored by Jimmy Luppino. In Hamilton are the most important families Papalia, Luppino, Scibetta, Bordonaro, Cippolla and Musitano. Also there is the Restivo family.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/11/23 07:52 PM

Hard to read the rest when it starts with Carmine Galante was Joe Bonanno's Underboss.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/11/23 10:35 PM

I don't think it's that big of a deal, the Mafia and its structure was poorly understood back then. He was definitely a top captain or soldier at the time.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/11/23 10:38 PM

Puparo's info is just Food for thought Carmine Galante may not been officially boss/underboss he was a huge player.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/13/23 11:36 AM

It has never been clear. The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) considers the family a faction of the Bonanno crime family, while Canadian and most other international law enforcement agencies recognize it as an independent crime family.

Hollander- I believe that the U.S.intel in Canada is outdated.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/13/23 05:18 PM

US intell on US families is probably outdated.
-FBI member estimates never fluctuated in number from a report in 1984 to a report in 2002. we r to believe that all families remained at same numbers for 20 years?a statistical impossibility considering all factors that go into running and maintaining a crime family. perhaps for another thread.

-have been really digging into past reports about current structure of OC in MTL not just MAFIA, from la presse, journal de mtl and tva and it really is a stand alone city as far as who is in control. HELLS ANGELS/MAFIA ALLIANCE. no other city in canada, even toronto, or the US has this kind of alliance for control of a major organized crime city that still has a functioning mafia family.
i should state and this is important to note this alliance does not encompass all HA /MAFIA. the MTL CHAPTER OF HA seems to be the only chapter that is known to be part of this new alliance. HA MTL chapter works with some of remaining MAFIA CELLS but not all.

-i will post other info on this to another thread so as to not derail topic.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/13/23 10:17 PM

Hollander- I believe that the U.S.intel in Canada is outdated.

Yes after Vito got locked up they never had the intel.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/14/23 11:21 PM

So if they're not part of the Mafia, what organization do they belong to then? They're just a group of guys with no common thread binding them together operating in a city with many other criminal organizations, crime groups that have actual names, rituals, and affiliations? Makes very little sense to me.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/15/23 12:45 AM

So if they're not part of the Mafia, what organization do they belong to then? They're just a group of guys with no common thread binding them together operating in a city with many other criminal organizations, crime groups that have actual names, rituals, and affiliations? Makes very little sense to me.

Cosa Nostra and 'Ndrangheta both love Canada it is the promised land.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/15/23 12:56 AM

It could be just that. Look at cities with Families that have died out they all half Italian criminals there committing crimes and they might of had connections to LCN or whatever organization in the past but if they weren't formally apart of the organization they're just Italian criminals committing crimes now.

I'm not saying this is is what Montreal is but it could be. We just don't know.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/15/23 01:01 AM

With so many other organized crime groups and gangs operating in Montreal, it just seems to me that a group of Italian freelancers with no official bond or organizational belonging would get ran over and treated with no respect, yet these guys are treated like royalty in the underworld, with the exception of their rivals and traitors of course. They're still called the Mafia by the media and more than likely recognized as such by other groups in the underworld. In other cities where we've seen Italian criminals pop up running illegal gambling or whatever, the media doesn't refer to them as the mob, unlike in Montreal. That's the main difference here.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/15/23 02:17 AM

much to dissect here.

-there are indeed multiple crime groups operating in montreal that is correct. but which one of these said groups aside from HA and MAFIA has same level of power and influence. the street gangs cannot even go a month without shooting at each other over a diss in a youtube video. the blue and red affiliated gangs not only shoot at each other but often commit crimes against there own clics. blue vs. blue, blue vs.red, red vs. whoever. there is no comparison there. who else to look to then? west end gang? in the historical sense of the WEG they do not exist anymore. the WEG were only ever a very loose group of organized criminals who sometimes worked together on certain crimes. not all WEG were involved in mass imports of drugs through the port of MTL. very few infact. bank robbers, safe crackers, loan collectors for hire etc you name it. however the WEG does not exist anymore in this context.

-what would be a better bond than surviving years of mob war a la L. RIZZUTO AND S.SOLLECITO? and you could toss in many more names to that list of survivors. i think we have to look at the MTL MAFIA very differently than any other city as i have already said previous. after VITO RIZZUTOS death there was no longer a BOSS in the sense that most think. it is alleged that after 2005 death of VINCENT GIGANTE that the genovese DID NOT HAVE AN OFFICIAL BOSS. daniel leo was only ever indicted as acting boss. there is proof of acting panels put in place after leos 2006/2007 indictment to run the family. these panels are alleged to have existed up to 2010 death and then release of liborio bellomo. so for 5 years the possibility exists that the oft glossed "ivy league of the mafia" had no official boss. the genovese leaders or gigante before his death appointed a small influential group of senior capos to run family a very similar situation took place in MTL MAFIA after death of V.R. a major difference of course being that MTL MAFIA also teamed up with MTL HA chapter and street gangs allied to gregory wooley to maintain total control.

-and why do all mafia families in north america have to operate in the exact same way from top to bottom? there is no commission rules stating this and i am of the belief the commission if it exists means ZERO to MTL MAFIA members.

how can anyone say we dont know? has anyone read any of articles written by journalists from the journal de mtl, la presse, tva ? they are full of information spelling out the current structure. it may not be accepted by some or the proper formal structure but it is what it is.

this is info from la presse article dated sept.23 2019 by daniel renaud. renauds knowledge on oc affairs in mtl is beyond reproach.
some key quotes and statements from said article. i will add unlike burnsteins rather dubious "reporting" lately renaud gives names of law enforcement for quotes. i know what an odd thing to do as a journalist. also these are pulled direct from article (with some paraphrasing) they ARE NOT MY HYPOTHETICALS OR GUESSES. i will post links to these after go ahead and re check.

-the mafia and HA are the 2 most powerful groups in city with other groups gravitating mostly towards them.
-structure= HA/MAFIA with 20 individuals, groups and clans working with 6 decision makers.
-the HA it is clear has a hierarchy, not all members have same influence.
-structure of MTL OC/MAFIA IS NO LONGER PYRAMIDAL, SINCE THE END OF THE SICILIANS, BUT CELLULAR. MAFIA NO LONGER HAS A GODFATHER OR A LEADERSHIP TABLE.
-the police no longer systemically speak of traditional italian oc, but now of italian oc. the traditional word has been evacuated.
-the concept of men of honor no longer exists. today the lure of profit is proof of everything.
-NO BELIEF THAT MAFIA WILL CHOOSE A NEW GODFATHER IN SHORT TO MID TERM. one reason being they make money anyway.
-belief that mafia is still in a period of transition, that one of its groups could in the future assert itself.

decision makers
1.mario brouillette
2.martin robert
3.stephan plouffe
4.salvatore cazzetta
5.salvatore brunetti
(my question here as article fails to give 6th name)

other important names:
giuseppe focarazzo-alleged to be direct link between HA MTL chapter and SICILIAN CLAN (name ref'd to old vito rizzuto led family)

THE SICILIAN CLAN
-composed of members of 2nd and 3rd generation of eastablished mafia families. clan is still most influential of the MTL MAFIA.
leaders
1.leonardo rizzuto
2.stefano sollecito
3.liborio cuntrera
4.vito salvaggio
5.nicola spagnolo
(my note the above description fits 4 of 5 leaders to a tee aside from the enigma vito salvaggio)

-rizzuto/sollecito considered acting bosses (2015). the police no longer affix this label to them.

davide barberio
-believed should the need arise be able to contact vittorio mirarchi.

vittorio mirarchi
-in control of some illegal sports betting in mtl. mirarchi clan is currently independent of other mafia clans and bikers, but has strong support from a mafia family in ontario.
(my question? who is this mafia family from ontario. often repeated without any proof or evidence and long a bone of contention on here amongst many as to the origins of mirarchis power and influence)

west end gang
-no longer exists according to police.

calabrian cell
-former members of cotroni clan who rallied to rizzutos after the latter came to power in the early 1980's has steadily diminished. some have retired or sold off businesses to emerging clans. last members of cell would be protected by salvatore brunetti. if there is any succession within this clan it would no longer have any affinity with the SICILIANS.
(my note this part about calabrians is very important and should put to rest finally any question about remaining cotroni,dimaulo,gallo, volpato influence in city. the last 2 being protected are presumably antonio mucci and carmine antonio vanelli)

antonio pietrantonio
-protected now by martin robert.

agostino-albanese clan
-tobacco smuggling, paying tax to VIOLI clan to whom they are loyal.
(my note..an overlooked mention to a cell of the buffalo mafia operating in montreal. if dom violi is UB and these guys are paying a tax thats the ball game no?)

annunziata family
-sons would be very close to liborio cuntrera and salvatore cazzetta.
(my note...another puzzler here. i scoured the deep dark recesses of google and can find one annunziata in montreal or quebec for that matter and nothing points to luigi annunziata being aa associate of mafia or anything close.)

alot to take in i get it but the info is there to read. at first myself in 2019 it was not the picture of the MAFIA that i had in my head but if taken for the value of information that it is and applied to figuring out goings on in montreal it makes it easier and clearer to understand. it may not be yer grandads mafia or even yer dads but it is a mafia top to bottom structure or not.

more to follow and link.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/15/23 02:19 AM

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/15/23 02:38 AM

i will add further the strategy if it is that, by HA/MAFIA to completely blur the lines and mesh the 2 organizations to some extent is genius.
i realize that the very idea of bikers having to protect mafia member is anathema to some but it is the case. and for those in the MAFIA that want to continue to live and make money there really is no choice but to allie with HA. the mafia is completely outnumbered province wide by HA it is not even close.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/15/23 04:41 AM

i will add further the strategy if it is that, by HA/MAFIA to completely blur the lines and mesh the 2 organizations to some extent is genius.
i realize that the very idea of bikers having to protect mafia member is anathema to some but it is the case. and for those in the MAFIA that want to continue to live and make money there really is no choice but to allie with HA. the mafia is completely outnumbered province wide by HA it is not even close.

The concept is nothing new it has been going on in certain areas, for many many years.
LCN has traditionally always been way more under surveillance, than other O.C. groups combined.

With that said in Amercian, LCN it makes perfect sense to farm out those brain dead, crash dummy activities, to gang members, or whoever that will assault people, burn people's cars etc.

I.E. look at Peter Pan, he burnt a car and got a dime piece.

A way smarter move would be to pay a gang member $1,000,00 or $1,500.00 to burn that car.

If you have a valued member in your LCN, crew that is bringing in Big Money, do you risk getting him taken off the streets for 10 years by sending him out to burn a car.

Vito Rizzuto formed these alliances many years ago, that was what made him the BOSS OF BOSSES was his ability to be able to form these alliances and get these different groups to work together and split the profits in relative peace.

So, providing muscle for the racket never meant anything derogatory.

1) We Cosa Nostra will be putting up the cash and bringing the drugs into this country, dealing with the mother land and the cartels.
2) Hells Angels will be wholesaling them to gangbangers and providing muscle on the street.
3) Gangbangers will be serving the FEINS, and also providing muscle.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/15/23 11:08 AM

very good points as always bensonhurst.
i may add though that HA in quebec have there own direct connect to cocaine and have for decades. it is not just MAFIA cells who have these. from days of mom boucher and nomads in midst of quebec biker war they were able to see that they could not just rely on mafias connects for cocaine. HA from have established chapters in ecuador and dominican republic. the d.r. chapter was founded by members from trois rivieres chapter and those connections remain to this day. the d.r. is a jumping off transit point for cocaine imports. the quito chapter (i think it is based in quito) was founded by michel lajoie smith an ex full patch HA who has long held connections to cocaine sources.

also the HA have a lock on production and distribution of meth in province. never a traditional mafia racket the meth business but this generates huge profits for the angels and there support clubs.

the only other thing i will add is that appears from articles written in 2021 by daniel renaud and others that gregory woolley and his allies are no longer part of this alliance. the same setup that was put in place from 2012-2015 ended with magot/mastiff arrests. this new alliance would be led by HA AND MAFIA with woolley not having as big or any say. probably a result of woolley being incarcerated until 2020/2021. but in same article it does state that leadership of HA has no interest in past feuds amongst mafia or street gangs and is only interested in making money.

so both HA/MAFIA do still continue to farm out hits, arson,beatings etc to some sets of street gangs but not all.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/16/23 09:02 AM

When we talk about OC in Canada, all groups have benefitted and prospered immensely.
With the money comes the power.

As I stated earlier probably the biggest mistake that Rizzutto made (WE HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING FOR SURE) in my opinion due to the fact that Rizzutto ran his Borgata Moreso like a drug cartel and all that was needed was for someone within or from outside establish a supplier and they were in business for themselves.

Obliviously the Hells Angels picked up on this and after Vito's arrest and the subsequent 3-way war that ensued Cosa nostra was weakened. to the point where the H.A. stepped in.

As always, the Italians the Italian Mafia garners the most attention from L.E. even in Canada, while some H.A. were pinched it was nothing compared to what happened to the Italians.

Let's see how the H.A. fair when the bosses are constantly targeted and taken off the streets and they are weakened by RCMP, and then they started fighting among each other.
I mean the H.A. traditionally are not known for sophistication.

Let time tell that story next.

Cosa Nostra Structure has been in place for 100's years it has withheld the test of constant L.E. attacks, constantly having to rebuild, restructure etc.

The crazy part is that he seen this all-coming Vito Rizzutto, what I mean is in the book the 6th family, right after he was arrested and he was in the car with RCMP he told them "WATCH WHAT HAPPENS NOW THAT YOU ARRESTED ME" there is going to bodies everywhere, something to that nature.

If they never fought from within this probably would have never happened.
Like the "HOUSE OF DRAGONS" could only be defeated from within.

LOL

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/17/23 06:25 PM

at one time i would have agreed about HA sophistication. but in last few years they have become very sophisticated in some of there rackets. andre chartrand and jonathan ranger 2 men recently arrested were operating a cocaine processing lab mere hours outside montreal proper. and not processing from powder into crack or re packaging from import to the street best evidence shows it was from paste to powder. this is not an easy process with my lack of chemistry knowledge aside. furthermore the HA in quebec have a lock on production of meth in province for distribution across quebec and into eastern ontario and the east coast provinces. and this is not 1970's biker crank this meth rivals that produced by the cartels in mexico.

also important to remember the HA were wiped out after 2009 operation sharq arrests. there was 1 full patch member on the street. out of 120 + - in province. if any mafia crime family with similar numbers were taken off street in such a way that would have been the ball game for that family. lets pretend the entirety of the bonannos were arrested in such a fashion with lets say only john spirito sr. left on the street. the bonannos would be done or in such a state of confusion and panic that remaining ny families would swallow up there territory and rackets. i use the bonannos as a example but insert colombos or lucchese as an apt comparison.

however the HA IN QC were able to maintain some territory and through some very good lawyers and the HA have the best they were able to get out of all those charges for the most part. now i will add it takes very little sophistication to outsmart the canadian judicial system but it takes a whole lot of money to drag out a trial for 6 years.

and for the last 2 years the authoities in province have been going hard at HA. there structure of how they operate is making it hard to make those big arrests. the HA operate with the same cellular way as MAFIA.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/17/23 08:12 PM

Mafia families don't take out a franchise agreement with the commission for exclusivity of a certain territory and use of the term "Mafia" (TM)

They're "mafia" by their heritage and actions, not because they're Michael Mancuso-approved.

...although the way things are going with all the YouTube content, etc. these days that may be the new low that is stooped to next!

With so many other organized crime groups and gangs operating in Montreal, it just seems to me that a group of Italian freelancers with no official bond or organizational belonging would get ran over and treated with no respect, yet these guys are treated like royalty in the underworld, with the exception of their rivals and traitors of course. They're still called the Mafia by the media and more than likely recognized as such by other groups in the underworld. In other cities where we've seen Italian criminals pop up running illegal gambling or whatever, the media doesn't refer to them as the mob, unlike in Montreal. That's the main difference here.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/17/23 09:31 PM

Vito thanks for reminding or more likely informing Benny that Quebec arrested nearly every Hells Angels in the province in the 2000s and are arrested more commonly than any Mafia guys are. Don't boost his ego when he obviously knows very little and just piggy backs off of others posts and regurgitates the same basic takes repeated about Canada.

much to dissect here.

-there are indeed multiple crime groups operating in montreal that is correct. but which one of these said groups aside from HA and MAFIA has same level of power and influence. the street gangs cannot even go a month without shooting at each other over a diss in a youtube video. the blue and red affiliated gangs not only shoot at each other but often commit crimes against there own clics. blue vs. blue, blue vs.red, red vs. whoever. there is no comparison there. who else to look to then? west end gang? in the historical sense of the WEG they do not exist anymore. the WEG were only ever a very loose group of organized criminals who sometimes worked together on certain crimes. not all WEG were involved in mass imports of drugs through the port of MTL. very few infact. bank robbers, safe crackers, loan collectors for hire etc you name it. however the WEG does not exist anymore in this context.

2) -what would be a better bond than surviving years of mob war a la L. RIZZUTO AND S.SOLLECITO? and you could toss in many more names to that list of survivors. i think we have to look at the MTL MAFIA very differently than any other city as i have already said previous. after VITO RIZZUTOS death there was no longer a BOSS in the sense that most think. it is alleged that after 2005 death of VINCENT GIGANTE that the genovese DID NOT HAVE AN OFFICIAL BOSS. daniel leo was only ever indicted as acting boss. there is proof of acting panels put in place after leos 2006/2007 indictment to run the family. these panels are alleged to have existed up to 2010 death and then release of liborio bellomo. so for 5 years the possibility exists that the oft glossed "ivy league of the mafia" had no official boss. the genovese leaders or gigante before his death appointed a small influential group of senior capos to run family a very similar situation took place in MTL MAFIA after death of V.R. a major difference of course being that MTL MAFIA also teamed up with MTL HA chapter and street gangs allied to gregory wooley to maintain total control.

3) -and why do all mafia families in north america have to operate in the exact same way from top to bottom? there is no commission rules stating this and i am of the belief the commission if it exists means ZERO to MTL MAFIA members.

4) how can anyone say we dont know? has anyone read any of articles written by journalists from the journal de mtl, la presse, tva ? they are full of information spelling out the current structure. it may not be accepted by some or the proper formal structure but it is what it is.

5) this is info from la presse article dated sept.23 2019 by daniel renaud. renauds knowledge on oc affairs in mtl is beyond reproach.
some key quotes and statements from said article. i will add unlike burnsteins rather dubious "reporting" lately renaud gives names of law enforcement for quotes. i know what an odd thing to do as a journalist. also these are pulled direct from article (with some paraphrasing) they ARE NOT MY HYPOTHETICALS OR GUESSES. i will post links to these after go ahead and re check.

-the mafia and HA are the 2 most powerful groups in city with other groups gravitating mostly towards them.
-structure= HA/MAFIA with 20 individuals, groups and clans working with 6 decision makers.
-the HA it is clear has a hierarchy, not all members have same influence.
-structure of MTL OC/MAFIA IS NO LONGER PYRAMIDAL, SINCE THE END OF THE SICILIANS, BUT CELLULAR. MAFIA NO LONGER HAS A GODFATHER OR A LEADERSHIP TABLE.
-the police no longer systemically speak of traditional italian oc, but now of italian oc. the traditional word has been evacuated.
-the concept of men of honor no longer exists. today the lure of profit is proof of everything.
-NO BELIEF THAT MAFIA WILL CHOOSE A NEW GODFATHER IN SHORT TO MID TERM. one reason being they make money anyway.
-belief that mafia is still in a period of transition, that one of its groups could in the future assert itself.

decision makers
1.mario brouillette
2.martin robert
3.stephan plouffe
4.salvatore cazzetta
5.salvatore brunetti
(my question here as article fails to give 6th name)

other important names:
giuseppe focarazzo-alleged to be direct link between HA MTL chapter and SICILIAN CLAN (name ref'd to old vito rizzuto led family)

THE SICILIAN CLAN
-composed of members of 2nd and 3rd generation of eastablished mafia families. clan is still most influential of the MTL MAFIA.
leaders
1.leonardo rizzuto
2.stefano sollecito
3.liborio cuntrera
4.vito salvaggio
5.nicola spagnolo
(my note the above description fits 4 of 5 leaders to a tee aside from the enigma vito salvaggio)

-rizzuto/sollecito considered acting bosses (2015). the police no longer affix this label to them.

davide barberio
-believed should the need arise be able to contact vittorio mirarchi.

vittorio mirarchi
-in control of some illegal sports betting in mtl. mirarchi clan is currently independent of other mafia clans and bikers, but has strong support from a mafia family in ontario.
(my question? who is this mafia family from ontario. often repeated without any proof or evidence and long a bone of contention on here amongst many as to the origins of mirarchis power and influence)

west end gang
-no longer exists according to police.

calabrian cell
-former members of cotroni clan who rallied to rizzutos after the latter came to power in the early 1980's has steadily diminished. some have retired or sold off businesses to emerging clans. last members of cell would be protected by salvatore brunetti. if there is any succession within this clan it would no longer have any affinity with the SICILIANS.
(my note this part about calabrians is very important and should put to rest finally any question about remaining cotroni,dimaulo,gallo, volpato influence in city. the last 2 being protected are presumably antonio mucci and carmine antonio vanelli)

antonio pietrantonio
-protected now by martin robert.

agostino-albanese clan
-tobacco smuggling, paying tax to VIOLI clan to whom they are loyal.
(my note..an overlooked mention to a cell of the buffalo mafia operating in montreal. if dom violi is UB and these guys are paying a tax thats the ball game no?)

annunziata family
-sons would be very close to liborio cuntrera and salvatore cazzetta.
(my note...another puzzler here. i scoured the deep dark recesses of google and can find one annunziata in montreal or quebec for that matter and nothing points to luigi annunziata being aa associate of mafia or anything close.)

alot to take in i get it but the info is there to read. at first myself in 2019 it was not the picture of the MAFIA that i had in my head but if taken for the value of information that it is and applied to figuring out goings on in montreal it makes it easier and clearer to understand. it may not be yer grandads mafia or even yer dads but it is a mafia top to bottom structure or not.

more to follow and link.

2) We do have to look at it differently as other cities with Mafia Families because Montreal never had one. It was a Bonanno crew that was a nexus between other independent or semi independent Italian crime groups. Part of this Bonanno crew might have broken off from the Bonanno Family at some point but it's clear at least some part of it came into conflict with the Bonanno Family.

There is no evidence Vito Rizzuto was ever considered a official Boss/CapoMafia/Rappresentante or that any of the people you named and are commonly called Capo/Captain/Capodecina/Caporegime ever held those positions. We can debate it back and forth but the fact of the matter is no public information has shown this and if by chance I have missed it so have all you since no one has shown it. There's no recordings testimony or anything of the sort.

Mafia Families have a history of not electing or confirming a Boss as soon as the previous one steps down or passes away.

3) It's the how the structure has been for 100+ years. The Commission could mean zero to the Montreal Mafia if they are no longer LCN.

4) This has never been about what the structure is. No one has said we don't know who the leaders are and aren't able to identify other cells. All I ever said is we don't know what organization any of them belong to or if they are just Italian criminals.

The leaders and people who have more clout than others are known but we don't know the exact structure of these cells and none of these articles have provided it. The question of what these guys are hasn't been answered.

5) If the police no long speak of traditional italian organized crime but now of just Italian organized crime that sounds a lot like they don't belong to any organization so couldn't be a official Mafia Family. I won't say the statement ends the debate because they don't say what that actually means but it sounds like it's just Italian criminals. It also gets confusing when Daniel Renaud in later articles has used traditional Italian organized crime to refer to the present day. There's a lot of contradictions in the coverage of organized crime in Montreal that aren't always the authors fault as it comes from the police but it happens often.

You also misread about the Agostino-Albanese clan being loyal to Dom Violi. It said to which they were loyal at the time of the domination of the Calabrians in Montreal. This is talking about when Vic Cotroni was Captain and Paolo Violi was Acting Captain of the Bonanno crew not current days. Domenico Agostino and his cousin Franco Albanese could of been paying a tax for their tobacco smuggling ring because it was coming through the Buffalo border or some other arrangement. This doesn't make them a cell of the Buffalo Mafia. Pat Musitano in the late 2000s and 2010s was collecting tax on all drug dealers operating in the Hamilton and Niagara region. It didn't make anyone paying that tax a cell of the Buffalo Mafia too.

The Annunziata cell refers to what I think are brothers Michel and Luigi Annunziata. They appear on the chart of different cells that Furio From Naples shared here with all the names written out that someone did on the other forum. There isn't much on them and they don't have criminal records. They are close to Salvatore Cazzetta and came up in Project Machine.

The article you shared is dated the most recent articles we have that give a outline of the structure and alliances are from 2021 and they're dated themselves. They still highlight a Mafia and biker alliance but with some different names.

The first was July 11 2021 Daniel Renaud wrote about the Montreal Hells Angels taking up more space and Martin Robert and Stephane Plouffe being in the center of this network between the various cells. Also says the Sicilians are losing power.
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...e-la-garde-au-sein-du-crime-organise.php

The second came on October 27 2021 and Felix Seguin wrote about the Rizzutos AKA Sicilians becoming the most powerful group again in Quebec. He names Stefano Sollecito Leonardo Rizzuto Vito Salvaggio and Liborio Cuntrera as co leaders and Francesco Del Balso as a financer. Martin Robert Stephane Plouffe Salvatore Cazzetta and Giles Lambert are labeled as associates of them.
https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2021/10/08/le-clan-mafieux-rizzuto-est-de-retour-en-force

The third article was written on December 27 2021 and Daniel Renaud writes the new Mafia and Biker table is made up of Martin Robert Stéphane Plouffe Marco Pizzi Davide Barberio and Erasmo Crivello. But another source says other people sit at the table depending on the situation. This one looks to be much more fluid then any of the others. Daniel Renaud also writes Gregory Wooley has returned to the fold with the Hells Angels
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...se-montrealais/la-nouvelle-normalite.php

All of this is very different today. Davide Barberio was shot in October 2021 and I don't know if this has changed his standing in the current power structure. Francesco Del Balso was targeted in October 2022 and possibly in January 2023. Leonardo Rizzuto was shot in March 2023. Stefano Sollecito is sick and reportedly stepped back. Salvatore Cazzetta is no longer a member of the Montreal Hells Angels first reports said he was expelled from the club but a separate report said he wasn't allowed to wear his cutte for a few months and then made to join the South chapter.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/17/23 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by eastsideofvan
Mafia families don't take out a franchise agreement with the commission for exclusivity of a certain territory and use of the term "Mafia" (TM)

They're "mafia" by their heritage and actions, not because they're Michael Mancuso-approved.

...although the way things are going with all the YouTube content, etc. these days that may be the new low that is stooped to next!

If me and Italian friends start committing illegal gambling and loansharking we aren't automatically Mafia. Unless you're using it in the catch all way like they do with Russian Greek Chinese Moroccan and other organized crime. When talking about the Montreal Mafia and specifically the Rizzutos you're talking about the organization that is LCN. To be Mafia in this context you need more than heritage and actions. You need recognition from the organization or as you put it Michael Mancuso approved. If the organization doesn't recognize you you aren't Mafia you're Italian criminals.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/17/23 10:19 PM

I would disagree - IF - you and your Italian friends are all the sons of guys made over in Sicily, and if you are using violence to enforce your extremely profitable rackets. You've then established your own family. Particularly if, to make a further point, you and your friends have racked up a higher body count than all 5 families combined in the last 20 years. If anything, maybe you and your friends are the ones now in a position to decide who's "Mafia" and who isn't.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/17/23 11:48 PM

But that isn't how it works. Take the Purple Gang as an example there was lots of Italians in it that were making a lot of money and were violent but they weren't recognized as their own Family and no one is calling them one. Being Italian and committing crimes isn't the only prerequisites to be considered the Mafia. Being Italian committing crimes and partnering with Mafia members in those crimes doesn't make you Mafia.

This is Mafia basics here and I'm losing my mind that this even has to be talked about.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/17/23 11:54 PM

i will start off by saying i am not boosting someones ego. i do not know bensonhurst from a hole in the ground. i enjoy the posts he brings to these forums. and if we are going to talk about regurgitated posts and takes i appreciate the work that went into finding the links to those french media articles it must have been a lot of work considering i posted them previous. i dont know what history u and bh have but it would be nice to be able to share on these threads without it all coming derailed by petty arguing...my minor jab aside. we could all be wrong about all of this info. there is nothing wrong with defending a point but to what end? anyhoo on to some of mafia 101 points.

this one being very important. VITO RIZZUTO and his crime family, crew, cell, group of un affiliated non official associates whatever anyone wants to call them had by 1999 eclipsed the bonanno family in power and strength. did they still send an envelope south after 1999 very possible. we will never know. and it doesnt matter. if yer choice as a smart internationally respected mob boss which VITO obviously was depended on sending what i can only imagine was a meager amount of money by comparison to ny if only to placate them or stop and possibly risk a souring of relations...what would you do?

and since when do families wait around to elect a new boss? because it takes law enforcement a while to figure out who the new guy is doesnt mean they take along time to elect a new one. how long did it take for cammarano jr to whip votes to become new boss while mancuso the sitting boss was in jail? not too long. i used the genovese as an example because best evidence cant tell us who if anyone was indeed put in place after gigantes death.

and the question as to who these guys are leading organized crime in montreal and its structure has kinda been answered it may not be the answer some on here want or were expecting but this is what law enforcement is telling us. do LE know everything about every cell or chapter operating? f no. and if they did there going to put it on the front page of the journal de mtl for all to see. i think not.

the musitano 'ndrine was never a part of the buffalo mafia. they were an 'ndrangheta group operating in hamilton.

the comment about the annunziatas gets us no closer to who they are and i wouldnt put much weight behind that name carrying any influence in montreal.

and a very good point east side.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/17/23 11:58 PM

the bonannos were still somehow connected to the montreal crew as recently as 2006.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/18/23 12:04 AM

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...s-profits-serait-allee-au-clan-violi.php

a very good article about both large tobacco smuggling cells paying tax to violi bros.
also near the end it states since the agostino-albanese once being allied with calabrians they had become more discreet since...or something along those lines i am paraphrasing.

i just read the above post by mafia101. if this site or these topics cause u to lose your mind i suggest perhaps taking up knitting and get out of the mafia chat business.none of the things we talk about on here should trigger such a reaction.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/18/23 12:13 AM

and mafia i feel you are still hanging on to some principle that doesnt exist. again just because a situation like the mafia in montreal had never happened before doesnt mean it has no validity. the rizzutos did not need or care what the bonannos thought about them. they didnt need there connections what they could have been for a mostly ny based crime family. the rizzutos had become bigger and stronger than not just the bonannos but the colombos and lucchese as well and that is a hard point to dispute. just look at the litany of rackets and the money involved as well as the various criminal groups the rizzutos were working with both in canada and abroad in the time period around 1999 and vitos arrest. its not even close and please dont make me go get my books on the subjest to quote verbatim because i am too tired and sick to do so.

so whether the rizzutos were an official family sanctioned by the commission or a satellite crew or if VITO RIZZUTO just woke up one morning and said meh i'm done with those rats in ny it doesnt matter we will never know. just as the commission doesnt sanction franchises said franchises dont have a grand opening letting all know they r now operating independent.

believe what u want to believe defend your points but keep it civil. we r better than the apes no need to huck poop at each other.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/18/23 02:32 AM

Vito buddy I've kept it civil until people made personal remarks about me. Notice I haven't said anything bad about you. Its not a petty jabs at eachother he's just saying dumb stuff that some people will eat up. The purpose of the links were to show the ruling parties in Montreal has changed since the time of the 2019 article you shared.

Would the word of a former Bonanno involved with the leadership at that time not be enough to know if Montreal sent a envelope? Dom Cicale said Sal Montagna collected the tribute and travelled between the two locations delivering messages. That is backed up with recordings from Joe Massino and Vinny Basciano.

There's quite a few examples of Families not electing a Boss right away. After Albert Anastasia was killed Carlo Gambino didn't become official Boss until 1960. Joe Cammarano held a vote in 2015 to become Acting Boss and then another in 2017 to become official Boss and Michael Mancuso went to jail in the late 2000s. Whatever happened Joe Cammarano didn't become Boss. When Tony Accardo stepped down in 1957 a new Boss wasn't confirmed until the 1960s. It happens.

The question of their structure hasn't been answered anywhere. Of any of the cells in Montreal we wouldn't be able yo outline the entire structure. Nicola Spagnolo was considered one of the men at the table in 2015 but he isn't mentioned in any of the recent articles so where does he sit? Is he a number two to the 4 co leaders? Or is he rank 5? We can't answer that because we don't know the structure.

The Musitano ndrina exists in Calabria and maybe was considered to be in Ontario when Angelo Musitano first came over. But like the Luppinos and Papalias who all had Ndrangheta roots they joined the Buffalo Family. The RCMP and local Ontario police considered Pat Musitano a Buffalo member. Also to add a little more Project Otremens recordings had Vincenzo Morena asking Joe Violi who gave permission to Pat Musitano to kill two made men and Joe Violi responded he thinks Joe Todaro gave it. It doesn't explicitly say it but one can see that as a Boss giving his Soldier permission to kill someone.

Never said the Annunziata cell carries any influence. I was just giving you a little insight into who they are since you didn't know.

The fact someone doesn't understand the most basic stuff about the Mafia and is going to argue all you need to be Mafia is be Italian and commit crimes is just nuts. That is my point. There's people on here who are trying to tell us what is what when they don't understand the simplest things. It's frustrating when no one bats a eye at that but if I say we dont know what Montreal is which is absolutely a the truth I get dogged on by several users and accused of rewriting history or not knowing what I'm talking about.

I also take issue when you try to say the Rizzutos didn't need or care about the Bonanno Family. How would you know how they feel or what they thought?

I'm not questioning and never have questioned the overall strength and how much money Montreal was making.

I can agree they don't announce they're independent or whatever. That's why I say we dont know. But why can't others also accept this and just say we dont know instead of they are their own Family or they're this or that. Too many of you are speaking as if these are facts and not just what you believe.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/18/23 06:04 PM

The fact someone doesn't understand the most basic stuff about the Mafia and is going to argue all you need to be Mafia is be Italian and commit crimes is just nuts. That is my point. There's people on here who are trying to tell us what is what when they don't understand the simplest things. It's frustrating when no one bats a eye at that but if I say we dont know what Montreal is which is absolutely a the truth I get dogged on by several users and accused of rewriting history or not knowing what I'm talking about.

The issue is that you are deliberately omitting crucial information in order to create a straw man argument. The crucial information being that Nick Rizzuto was made over on the other side, as were some of the other guys around him. Some of their mafia bloodlines go back to the 1800s. Nevermind Nick, Nick's wife is the daughter of Antonio Manno. I doubt if Antonio Manno would have cared whether or not the five families of New York have "recognized" his progeny in Canada.

The Rizzutos are not "just a bunch of Italian guys committing crimes".

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/18/23 06:43 PM

mafia i will say first that when threads start to derail on any topic because of insults and what not i check out. i have not read anything that was said by anyone personally insulting you. i mean that literally. if i wanted to be vindictive for any reason i would be on faceback, twitter or some other nonsense soc media platform. i come here looking for current info on topics im interested in and to learn like most.

i dont discount all of your posts they contain good info.

to yer point about nicola spagnolo and structure. you are correct we dont know. my best guess about spagnolo is that if there is any person of influence cell leader what ever we call it that he reports to it is leonardo rizzuto. i say this for several reasons.
1. the 2 have long standing family ties. i dont believe they are directly related but there fathers were very close for a long time and that means something.
2. spagnolo has never been arrested as part of a group bust naming him as leader of anything. hes faced some pinches for gun possession and most recently his stabbing of a man at a nightclub. but never anything showing he has special standing.
3.spagnolos inclusion in the "executive table" could arise from his close association with l. rizzuto. it could be a translation issue from french to english, bad info from police?
4. when magot/mastiff busts fell in 2015 the only 2 members of said table arrested were rizzuto/sollecito. spagnolo was not arrested. barely mentioned really aside from being caught on surveillance.
5. the "executive table" best evidence suggests no longer exists so any potential for him to be a leader may be over. remembering also his stabbing bust.

all i will say about musitanos is that i no longer bother looking in to who they were what they were. my reading has shown they were 'ndrangheta possibly under protection of buffalo mafia. or like many mafia groups in canada held some kind of dual membership. the reason for no longer researching the musitanos is that they are all dead. any associates by now have gotten out of game or latched onto some other OC group.

keep any and all comments coming i do enjoy the banter.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/18/23 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by eastsideofvan

The issue is that you are deliberately omitting crucial information in order to create a straw man argument. The crucial information being that Nick Rizzuto was made over on the other side, as were some of the other guys around him. Some of their mafia bloodlines go back to the 1800s. Nevermind Nick, Nick's wife is the daughter of Antonio Manno. I doubt if Antonio Manno would have cared whether or not the five families of New York have "recognized" his progeny in Canada.

The Rizzutos are not "just a bunch of Italian guys committing crimes".

That's not omitting crucial information it's irrelevant because for one we don't know if he was made in Italy or not and two he was a Bonanno member and three your family going back generations as Mafia members doesn't automatically make you a Mafia member. You could probably find dozen of examples of respected families going back generations as Mafia members and their descendants still commit crimes but aren't recognized as Mafia members. In fact I even gave a example of this earlier in the post with Joe Cuntrera. The Cuntreras and Caruanas are considered Mafia royalty and yet he isn't recognized by the Buffalo Family.

Point in case above of people speaking as if things are facts when it's unconfirmed. I also never said they are just a bunch of italian guys committing crimes but that is a possibility.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/18/23 07:25 PM

to the points on what the rizzutos thought of the bonannos or sending or not sending envelopes, when they stopped, did they stop...this is all info we may never know.
the rizzutos actions are what i look at. there was no inclusion of the bonannos in there rackets for the most part. the messina bridge project for example a close to billion dollar scheme ( that never took off) included no one from bonannos. unindicted co conspirator nothing not a mention. perhaps again the rizzutos still trickled an envelope and mostly kept the ny bonannos in the dark about there bigger rackets?

no mention of bonannos being criminally involved in the biggest one time bust in history of mafia in canada proj colisee. over 90 member and associates arrested including entirety of top administartion of a still functioning crime family and not a sniff about bonannos anywhere. 90 members and associates is fairly large for a satellite crew and thats just who they pinched.

no mention of bonannos in;
poject clemenza 1,2,3 (2014-2016)
proj magot/mastiff (2015)
the myriad of arrests into corruption, bid rigging etc. relating to montreal construction industry (2009-2013+-). i only mention because the majority of those arrests relating to charbonneau commission were of civilians, politicians, construction leaders men who would spill the beans to save their skin and some did but nothing about bonannos.

possible montagna was mr. envelope makes sense has canadian citizenship and up until his 2002 indictment would have been free to travel. and really this may not have even required montagna to cross border. perhaps some trusted associate/member also without a record could have crossed border and left it in a stash somewhere. we may never know and that is because montagna is dead.

which brings me to last point for now. if said payments continued through 1999, after 2004 arrest of V.R., proj colisee 2006 i think we can agree that by the time montagna is murdered in nov 2011 those payments ceased to exist. those arrested charged and eventually imprisoned were not from rizzuto camp obviously. desjardins and mirarchi were leaders of this plot. but joe dimaulo was brother-in-law to desjardins. dimaulo would definitley been considered a made guy in the bonannos going back to the 70's. and dimaulo ok'd it, stayed out of way certainly did nothing to stop it.

so if bonannos retained even a small crew of supporters remaining in montreal no revenge has taken place. no mention of bonannos being behind plot to murder desjardins in prison, that was HA/MAFIA/WOOLLEY ALLIANCE. mirarchi is still alive, not even the shooter jack simpson has been taken out.

so i will concede the possibility exists that bonannos still held some kind of link if but an envelope up until 2011. after that there is no evidence to prove any remaining crew or influence.

i may have mispoke there is a connect. in the massive jimmy cournoyer pot bust there was an established connection between the pot export and the bonanno family. the feds were able to arrest a wholesale pot distributor and indicted associate john venizelos. venizelos has a minor tacit link to made man vincent faraci. the link being venizelos, of possible greek extraction worked at night club being run by faraci. faraci was not arrested nor hasnt since been connected to anything of the sort since.
so the big connect that i can find from published indictments was:
a large cross border cannabis network led by a french canadian who has no proven connection to mafia in montreal was selling wholesale amounts of cannabis to an associate of the bonannos of possible greek extraction.

that dog just dont hunt.

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/18/23 07:36 PM

Mafia is a process,not a thing. Mafia is a form of clan - cooperation to which it's individual members pledge lifelong loyalty....Friendship, connections, family ties, trust, loyalty, obedience - this was the glue that held us together.

Joseph Bonanno

Re: Is There Still a Mafia Family in Montreal? - 04/18/23 10:22 PM

"Mafia is an initiation rite that is only rendered once you've held onto a flaming prayer card (or in the case of Ralph Natale, flaming toilet paper). It is a franchise licensing agreement which allows the bearer official use of Mafia patents and registered trademarks including but not limited to "Button Man" "Made Guy" "Goodfella" and other terms of intellectual property which are proprietary to the Commission, a registered LLC of New York, NY, USA, all rights reserved. Any unauthorized use of official Mafia terminology is subject to prosecution." - Michael Mancuso
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET