Home

Joe Profaci

Posted By: MafiaStudent

Joe Profaci - 05/20/22 08:25 PM

Posted By: NYMafia

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/20/22 09:30 PM

This is just a short snippet of a much longer biography I wrote about the unbelievable life and times of mob boss Giuseppe (The Olive Oil King) Profaci. Enjoy!
Posted By: Zavattoni

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/21/22 12:28 AM

Cruel to his men; greedy and conniving…

Ruled for over 30 years.

I think he was a terrible boss; but he did something right.

Did he ever had any other opposition as family boss besides the Gallo’s?
Posted By: jace

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/21/22 03:21 AM

In regards to the Gallos, I think that they would have started trouble anyway. Especially Joe Gallo. Al Gallo seems to have fit in well in later years, Larry Gallo died of throat cancer but there was an attempt on his life. Joe Gallo was just looking for trouble in my opinion. Right up until his death he was feuding and drawing a lot of attention to himself and the mob. I ff he had not been killed in Umbertos it would have gotten worse with him.

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/21/22 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by jace
In regards to the Gallos, I think that they would have started trouble anyway. Especially Joe Gallo. Al Gallo seems to have fit in well in later years, Larry Gallo died of throat cancer but there was an attempt on his life. Joe Gallo was just looking for trouble in my opinion. Right up until his death he was feuding and drawing a lot of attention to himself and the mob. I ff he had not been killed in Umbertos it would have gotten worse with him.

That I would have to agree with you on. Joey had a screw loose (literally). He could be charming in his own way, but he was a psychotic individual who was a born troublemaker. He couldn't take orders and stay in line. This is a known fact. He was actually diagnosed by doctors regarding this. He had envisions of grandeur for himself and was a very narcissistic guy. One way or another he had to end up badly.

Albert was the most logical and level-headed of the brothers. And for all intents and purposes he went on to live a fairly successful life in "the life."

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/21/22 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zavattoni
Cruel to his men; greedy and conniving…

Ruled for over 30 years.

I think he was a terrible boss; but he did something right.

Did he ever had any other opposition as family boss besides the Gallo’s?

No opposition to speak of. The truth is that Profaci was an extremely successful and respected "original." All his later headaches came from the upstart Gallo brothers. If you truly look at his long underworld career (aside from the later Gallo debacle) you'll realize he was a shadowy figure who controlled one of the most powerful borgatas in NYC. A multimillionaire, not only in the rackets, but through his savvy and intelligence regarding legitimate business. Maybe more so than 90% of all the other bosses.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/21/22 07:05 PM

Very good , MS. clap Especially good about the legitimate businesses and brands. Wasn't he also into tomato paste?

Profaci was humiliated in '61 when the Gallos kidnapped almost his entire hierarchy, narrowly missing The Old Man himself. Profaci had to go to the Commission to get them released, then he welshed on the deal again. Eldest brother Larry went to a "peace" meeting at the Sahara Lounge in Brooklyn, where he was garroted and almost killed, allegedly by Carmine Persico, which is how he earned the nickname "The Snake." The NY Daily News published an unforgettable photo of Larry in police custody, with a big red mark around his neck (I'm sure you have a copy of that photo in your files). It was the basis of the Pentangeli/Rosoto Brothers beef in GFII.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/21/22 07:08 PM

Profaci always maintained contacts with the Sicilian Mafia.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/21/22 10:20 PM

The Gallos were the most serious threat to Joe Profaci as Boss, but Profaci also had minor threats to his rule before the Gallo brothers. The Scaduto Brothers, Giuseppe and Domenico also had caused minor problems in the later part of 1935 till 1936 when Giuseppe was betrayed by a Sabella and was killed, followed by his brother being killed 7 months later in Chicago. The opposition was very small and with the death of Giuseppe all internal fighting stopped with the remaining members fleeing or joining Profaci. At least three of the members that fled were killed, Domenico Scaduto in Chicago, an unknown member in New Jersey killed by Ettore and Giovanni Misuraca, and another unknown member killed in Cuba in 1938 by Giuseppe Tipa and Filippo Mangano. Then there is the Sicily feud, which Salvatore Profaci Sr, Joe Profaci brother was killed in a freak boating accident which the engine blew up, the general consensus among LCN members and researchers is that was a message to Joe Profaci to back off in his hometown matters.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/21/22 10:57 PM

yes, joey gallo was a uneducated moron, and blood thirsty. should have been whacked years earlier.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/21/22 11:00 PM

yes, joey gallo was a uneducated moron, and blood thirsty. should have been whacked years earlier.
Posted By: Friend_of_Henry

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/21/22 11:07 PM

It's no secret that I'm a small town guy. However I find NYM and their stories about " Big City Guys" most interesting.

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/22/22 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Friend_of_Henry
It's no secret that I'm a small town guy. However I find NYM and their stories about " Big City Guys" most interesting.

Thank you buddy. Appreciate the compliment. Glad you're enjoying em
Posted By: MafiaStudent

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/23/22 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Turnbull
Very good , MS. clap Especially good about the legitimate businesses and brands. Wasn't he also into tomato paste?

Profaci was humiliated in '61 when the Gallos kidnapped almost his entire hierarchy, narrowly missing The Old Man himself. Profaci had to go to the Commission to get them released, then he welshed on the deal again. Eldest brother Larry went to a "peace" meeting at the Sahara Lounge in Brooklyn, where he was garroted and almost killed, allegedly by Carmine Persico, which is how he earned the nickname "The Snake." The NY Daily News published an unforgettable photo of Larry in police custody, with a big red mark around his neck (I'm sure you have a copy of that photo in your files). It was the basis of the Pentangeli/Rosoto Brothers beef in GFII.

Thank you Turnbull. I think he was into tomato paste with Mamma Mia.

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/24/22 05:06 PM

All this week and next is "Boss" week at Mob Fireside Chat....nothing but the capos, leaders, and capo regimes
Posted By: Big_Tuna93

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/24/22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by NYMafia
All this week and next is "Boss" week at Mob Fireside Chat....nothing but the capos, leaders, and capo regimes

If you get a chance would love to see you do something on Accardo. I also will tell you I read your write up on the Chicago outfit, and thought it was awesome!

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/24/22 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Tuna93

If you get a chance would love to see you do something on Accardo. I also will tell you I read your write up on the Chicago outfit, and thought it was awesome!

Thank you BT93. Lisa and I always appreciate a positive "job well done" from our readers.

I didn't have Tony Accardo on my short list, but if you really want me to, I (promise) you down the pike a bit I will try and do him justice with an ass-kicking bio for you, ok my man?

Just please have patience because I have over 30 projects in varying stages of completion now (literally). In fact I just posted up a deep-dive bio for a fan of ours who requested Gaetano (Toddo) Marino. And that took me over 2 or 3 months from the time he asked me to complete. But it did come out awesome I can tell you that much. I think it was worth the wait.

Posted By: Big_Tuna93

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/24/22 09:43 PM

Thank you BT93. Lisa and I always appreciate a positive "job well done" from our readers.

I didn't have Tony Accardo on my short list, but if you really want me to, I (promise) you down the pike a bit I will try and do him justice with an ass-kicking bio for you, ok my man?

Just please have patience because I have over 30 projects in varying stages of completion now (literally). In fact I just posted up a deep-dive bio for a fan of ours who requested Gaetano (Toddo) Marino. And that took me over 2 or 3 months from the time he asked me to complete. But it did come out awesome I can tell you that much. I think it was worth the wait.

Appreciate that! And of course, not trying to be pushy. Just somebody I've always been incredibly fascinated by. As always, enjoy conversing with you.

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/24/22 10:04 PM

Appreciate that! And of course, not trying to be pushy. Just somebody I've always been incredibly fascinated by. As always, enjoy conversing with you.

Same here pal. Always a pleasure!
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/25/22 03:31 AM

NYM: Can you guys post a photo of Larry Gallo after being garroted in the Sahara Lounge? Thanks.
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/25/22 10:58 PM

Who were Profaci’s confidantes within his a borgata? We’re the men on the street close to him?
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/25/22 11:03 PM

He was a flamboyant man who smoked big cigars, drove big black Cadillacs lived the Dolce Vita.

Re: Joe Profaci - 05/26/22 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Turnbull
NYM: Can you guys post a photo of Larry Gallo after being garroted in the Sahara Lounge? Thanks.

Ok. I know we have both a black and white, as well as a colorized photo of both Joey and Larry sitting in the back of a car with the rope burns clearly visible around Larry's neck. Only minutes after he was almost strangled to death.

I'll ask Lisa if she can pull the pics out of our "Boys at Work" murder galleries.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET