Home

Mike Coiro, Esq.

Posted By: FrankMazola

Mike Coiro, Esq. - 06/12/21 07:06 PM

Anyone ever do a deep dive on this guy? Attorney AND Gotti Crew member! His name has come up in several Gotti books. He interests me because he was a licensed attorney who started as an attorney of the Bergin Hunt and Fish patrons yet ended up getting so embedded as an associate (and apparent friend) to Gotti's inner circle, that he gave up his law practice altogether and became a full-time hood. Now I think "Law School" was something you did after college back in those days (not a full doctorate program AFTER undergraduate degree). None-the-less, it isn't common for an attorney to blend so homogenously with working gangsters. He ended up doing almost a decade in jail. I've heard rumors he had been a cop and veteran? If anyone has further on him please reply! Fascinating guy!
Posted By: Mob_Scribe

Re: Mike Coiro, Esq. - 06/12/21 09:41 PM

Michael Coiro was indeed a crooked attorney who was considered part of Gotti's crew or as Angelo ruggiero once said "like one of us." Coiro died some years ago after doing a stretch in prison. His dealings with Gotti and the members of the crew who were dealing in heroin are describedin the book "Gotti's Boys: The Mafia Crew That Killed for John Gotti." by Anthony M. DeStefano and published in 2019.
Posted By: Neo

Re: Mike Coiro, Esq. - 06/12/21 10:20 PM

I think this was the guy that Gotti proposed for membership but when his name was passed around to the other families for approval Massino vetoed his membership and sent back word to Gotti that his reason for the veto was because lawyers can't became made men.

Re: Mike Coiro, Esq. - 06/12/21 11:48 PM

Maybe he didn’t get his button because he had been a cop? I think I read that??

Re: Mike Coiro, Esq. - 06/13/21 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by FrankMazola

I don't even know if I got the right guy, I just remember a lawyer that was close to Gotti being vetoed by Massino for membership because he was a lawyer. Maybe I'm thinking of Joseph Corozzo Jr who got proposed by his father for membership. Hmmmm I'm not sure now.

Re: Mike Coiro, Esq. - 06/13/21 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Neo

I don't even know if I got the right guy, I just remember a lawyer that was close to Gotti being vetoed by Massino for membership because he was a lawyer. Maybe I'm thinking of Joseph Corozzo Jr who got proposed by his father for membership. Hmmmm I'm not sure now.

I do remember that. Why THE FUCK would a made guy wanna propose his successful and legitimate attorney son for membership. Even if the membership is nominal and he’d have no criminal duties, why open yourself up to that if not necessary! Sheesh these guys never cease to amaze.

Re: Mike Coiro, Esq. - 06/13/21 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Neo

I do remember that. Why THE FUCK would a made guy wanna propose his successful and legitimate attorney son for membership. Even if the membership is nominal and he’d have no criminal duties, why open yourself up to that if not necessary! Sheesh these guys never cease to amaze.

It would be interesting to know the reason why Corozzo Sr did that. And it would be interesting to know why Corozzo Jr gave that idea his blessing. On the face of it there doesn't seem to be anything to gain.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET