Home

Sal Montagna

Posted By: Tommy2Times

Sal Montagna - 06/01/21 03:11 PM

I wanted to ask a few questions about the "Bambino Boss". Do you guys know when he was made with the Bonanno's? It is interesting that Vinny Basciano selected him to be acting boss essentially giving power to the Zip faction with promoting Montagna. Do we have any word how he fared as acting boss prior to his deportation to Canada? If he wasn't deported do you think he would've made boss and did well? Do we know of any Bonanno members following him into Canada to set up a foot hold there?
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/01/21 04:59 PM

I didn't find the exact date but he was liste in Bonanno 2004 family chart as made man so for was made in the late 1990s early 2000s.He was made acting boss because the Bonannos and the Gambinos was rebuilt the relations with the old country,but I doubt that he would be made boss,more american mobsters prefer to have an american boss and use the zips for the drug trafficking.
Posted By: chin_gigante

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/01/21 08:58 PM

He was part of George Sciascia's crew and then he was transfered to Patty DeFilippo when Sciascia was killed. So he was made prior to 1999. Think the reason he was made acting boss was because he came from that DeFilippo crew. Basciano, Mancuso, Montagna; all members of that crew
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/01/21 10:01 PM

His father Antonino Montagna is still a prominent mafioso in CDG.
Posted By: NYMafia

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/01/21 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hollander

Correct Hollander. In fact, I believe he has a few blood relatives involved; father, possible brother but I forget the name, uncle ?, etc.

I was actually surprised to see that he was that connected yet still got clipped by Canada.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by NYMafia

Correct Hollander. In fact, I believe he has a few blood relatives involved; father, possible brother but I forget the name, uncle ?, etc.

I was actually surprised to see that he was that connected yet still got clipped by Canada.

CDG was also the hiding place for mafiosi fleeding US authorities when Sal grew up and Giuffrè said it was a training ground for young mafiosi like Montagna heading to America.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by NYMafia

NYMafia yes he had connection but was a foreign boss that tried to take Montreal isnt like in the 1950s while Bonanno sent Galante to Montreal for create a stronghold for drug trafficking.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 03:38 PM

NYMafia yes he had connection but was a foreign boss that tried to take Montreal isnt like in the 1950s while Bonanno sent Galante to Montreal for create a stronghold for drug trafficking.[/quote]

What doesn't make sense to me is why Montagna would solely try and take over the Rizzuto family without the backing of the Bonanno's, which he was still connected with. Vito was still alive and had many loyal supporters. It would've been better if he just tried to become a liasion between the two families like Sciascia and Joe LoPresti.

Then it shows did the Bonanno family really give two shits about Montagna? Since he was deported and trying to take over the Sixth Family and was killed without any Bonanno retaliation, made me believe they were done with him.

It's a shame since we have this young guy who fast tracked with the Bonanno's to acting boss and getting clipped in Montreal with nobody caring about it.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy2Times

NYMafia yes he had connection but was a foreign boss that tried to take Montreal isnt like in the 1950s while Bonanno sent Galante to Montreal for create a stronghold for drug trafficking.

What doesn't make sense to me is why Montagna would solely try and take over the Rizzuto family without the backing of the Bonanno's, which he was still connected with. Vito was still alive and had many loyal supporters. It would've been better if he just tried to become a liasion between the two families like Sciascia and Joe LoPresti.

Then it shows did the Bonanno family really give two shits about Montagna? Since he was deported and trying to take over the Sixth Family and was killed without any Bonanno retaliation, made me believe they were done with him.

It's a shame since we have this young guy who fast tracked with the Bonanno's to acting boss and getting clipped in Montreal with nobody caring about it.[/quote]

Tommy2Times is what im trying to say: he was alone when tried to take Montrral and even if should be backed by Bonannos,the times are changed.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 04:52 PM

With regards to the Bonannos not avenging Montagna's murder there was little they could do to begin with after Desjardins, Mirarchi and the other guys involved in the killing were all arrested
Posted By: The_Marble_Guy

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 05:03 PM

This particular topic always interests me, so did Montagna have a crew with him up there? Or was he still reaching back to guys in NY for help during this whole thing?
Posted By: MolochioInduced

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by chin_gigante
With regards to the Bonannos not avenging Montagna's murder there was little they could do to begin with after Desjardins, Mirarchi and the other guys involved in the killing were all arrested

Does anyone know what part of Quebec Desjardins is from, as well as what part Italy 🇮🇹 Mirachi is from?

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 06:32 PM

Mirachi is calabrese his father was from Catanzaro Antonio died at the age of 51 after which Desjardins took care of Victor.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 06:34 PM

Both men were born in Montreal. Hollander is right Miarchi has Calabrese roots.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 07:55 PM

Was it true Sal went to Simpsons house for a sit down to discuss taking over Montreal, and was he seriously alone with no bodyguards? Just baffles me Sal had to know Jack and Ray go way back..
Posted By: VitoCahill

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/02/21 11:29 PM

one of the main reasons montagna was killed is that he thought his former title of acting boss would mean something to criminals in mtl.
for some it did but they were of lower rank in the milieu. for those in power or at the time fighting and being murdered to try to achieve it he was just another criminal looking to take a slice of a dwindling criminal pie. montagnas title upon arrival in mtl 2009 was soldier,he was no longer acting boss he was not a capo. montagna had no ties back to ny and was trying to move into ontario because of the problems in mtl. a small list of converts in mtl:the arcuri family-dom sr./jr.,antonio pietrantonio,lorenzo lopresti doesn't strike me as enough to make a major push.
montagna had noone in ny to trust from a family littered with rats, an anthony seccafico is the only name i could find of a soldier in bonannos who had any connection to montagna and surprisingly he was murdered in july 2009 3 mths after montagnas deportation.
the days of the rizzutos or anyone in mtl paying any kind of respect to bonannos were long gone by 2009.
i know for many on this site this has been a hard concept to deal with but it is true.
why would smart,professional,internationally respected criminals want anything to do with the bonanno family after the boss became a rat?
its not like liborio bellomo was deported to mtl that would be a different story...
Posted By: The_Marble_Guy

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by VitoCahill
one of the main reasons montagna was killed is that he thought his former title of acting boss would mean something to criminals in mtl.
for some it did but they were of lower rank in the milieu. for those in power or at the time fighting and being murdered to try to achieve it he was just another criminal looking to take a slice of a dwindling criminal pie. montagnas title upon arrival in mtl 2009 was soldier,he was no longer acting boss he was not a capo. montagna had no ties back to ny and was trying to move into ontario because of the problems in mtl. a small list of converts in mtl:the arcuri family-dom sr./jr.,antonio pietrantonio,lorenzo lopresti doesn't strike me as enough to make a major push.
montagna had noone in ny to trust from a family littered with rats, an anthony seccafico is the only name i could find of a soldier in bonannos who had any connection to montagna and surprisingly he was murdered in july 2009 3 mths after montagnas deportation.
the days of the rizzutos or anyone in mtl paying any kind of respect to bonannos were long gone by 2009.
i know for many on this site this has been a hard concept to deal with but it is true.
why would smart,professional,internationally respected criminals want anything to do with the bonanno family after the boss became a rat?
its not like liborio bellomo was deported to mtl that would be a different story...

that has always been my questions. when he went there, was he just flying solo? He knew the life, esp with his family ties, and yet he went into trying to take small piece of it by himself? no crew? no nothing? Thats where I've always been foggy with him. Its not far fetched they still lay you out in the middle of the street in Canada these days lol if anyones noticed. So how could he really go at it alone. Its wild.
Posted By: Neo

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by furio_from_naples

It's possible Montagna transferred to the Rizzuto family, and if so, his slaying would be none of the Bonanno family's business.
Posted By: BensonHURST

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 02:08 AM

What were the bonnano's supposed to do?

Send shooters to C.A. ? to avenge his death?

The Bonanno's at that time were in no position tdo anything
Their whole admin practically flipped and who ever didnt flip was either in jail or under indictment.

if her were smart he would have backed the winning side
And slowly built a crew and carved out a piece for the bonanno's moving forward.

The boss title must have went to his head

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 02:14 AM

IDK but American investigators suspected Vito himself ordered the hit on Montagna from his Colorado cell.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 03:00 AM

vito rizzuto was not aligned w/ raynald desjardins in 2011. he did not order the hit this is not my speculation or hunch.
desjardins,mirarchi,jack simpson(the shooter),calogero milioto,steven fracas.steven d'addario and pietro magistrale were all arrested,tried and convicted for the plot and execution of sal montagna.
no where in court documents from the arrests in dec 2011 to desjardins conviction in 2015 is there evidence of this.
Posted By: DillyDolly

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 03:54 AM

Just because the Bonanno boss became a rat that doesn't make them irrelevant, they will just simply replace their rat boss, rebuild, and move on. Every American LCN family that still exists today has had high-level rats. As long as other crime groups can still make money with them, it really doesn't matter. It's all about money in organized crime, just like everything else, not honor and respect.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 04:39 AM

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...es-of-the-montrealmafia/article30393061/

Found this insightful article from 2016 about the meeting and death of Sal. If it is accurate then it makes perfect sense. He was picked up by Jack Simpson and driven to his home for a meeting. RCMP deciphered blackberry messages between Desjardins, Mirarchi, and Montagna. Sal was explaining he was not behind the attempted murder of Desjardins 2 months earlier. The other two plotted Sal's murder and the meeting he attended alone makes sense now. I really believe Sal was not behind the attempted murder of Desjardins and went alone unarmed to show good faith.

What a tough mother fucker gets shot three times jumps through a window dives in the freezing water and swims to the bank and dies! I have the utmost respect for him just saying....

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 07:05 AM

I’m pretty sure that the Bonannos had a piece of the sports book or whatever going back to the days of Controni and Galante, and regardless of the beef were still collecting a yield.

When Vito went to prison and the attacks started on Rizzuto, Desjardins and those guys wanted the book for themselves along with the bikers and the mud. Montagna was initially there to continue to collect the yield from the book, but that fell apart for the above reason and whatever else.

I still think that they have that debt or now with Sollecito in charge, that business arrangement is fluid and running smoothly again.

If anyone can recall when guys like Francesco Arcadi were basically being threaten by a bunch of blacks, who they referred to as monkeys 🐒 or apes 🦧 , that’s another problem that has lead to a lot of the issues in this war.

Certain people don’t want those type of things around them and their families, others do, because they are just the same as them, similar to Tony Soprano and Noah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on6t0irD4Mw&t=3s

It’s so messed up, up there in Canada that if a white woman is with a black, she isn’t considered trash 🗑 lol, that’s not the way real Southern Italians think, look to the example of Donna Imma in Gamorra. I’m in Europe and that’s not how we think either.
Just like these two!!

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/relationships/a28800120/lindsey-vonn-fiance-pk-subban/

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 12:12 PM

There is no evidence of the bonannos having an interest in the sports book out of MTL/ Toronto. 2 large investigations in 2013 and 2019 found no proof of that.
However they did show connections b/ HA and figliomeni family and ties to MTL.
I don't understand the need of some posters on this forum to find proof of Bonanno involvement in MTL. It had no operations or connections in Canada from 1999-2017.
The only evidence of any loose tie was project o tremens involving the violin bros.
Lo and behold they were taken down by a rat in the bonannos who was initiated proving why the rizzutos wanted nothing to do with the bonannos.
As far as Massino being a rat not being a big deal...fine.
But the Bonanno family as a whole around that time had what a dozen made men or associates cooping with feds.
Smart criminal groups do not bother with inferior OC orgs.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 12:26 PM

Wasn't that rat inducted into the Bonannos in 2015, in Canada? Yet you say that the Bonannos didn't have ANY Canadian ties from 1999-2017? You're full of shit Vito.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 12:39 PM

The inducted rat was initiated in 2015 yes but there is no proof of his connection to MTL. The o tremens project centered around the violi bros/ buffalo family gambinos and bonannos NOT the rizzutos or anyone in MTL.
And maybe I don't know what I'm talking about?
But show me the connection any connection any indictment recording showing a direct link from ny bonannos to any of the many criminal groups operating in MTL.
Here's another blockbuster I'll do the work for ya.
John Venizelos was an associate allegedly of Bonanno family who recieved and distributed large amounts of pot for wait for it.....
Jimmy cournoyer another French Canadian ahhhhhhh.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 12:54 PM

If John Venezielos is indeed a bona-fide on-record associate of the Bonanno Family then yes the Bonannos were involved, who's to say that there aren't any indictments that are coming down the turnpike showing a connection? And keep in mind that there are several indictments of mob figures without any mention of their Mafia connections, happens quite often. And they don't always get EVERYBODY in EVERY roundup.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 01:40 PM

The inducted rat was initiated in 2015 yes but there is no proof of his connection to MTL. The o tremens project centered around the violi bros/ buffalo family gambinos and bonannos NOT the rizzutos or anyone in MTL.
But show me the connection any connection any indictment recording showing a direct link from ny bonannos to any of the many criminal groups operating in MTL.
John Venizelos was an associate allegedly of Bonanno family who recieved and distributed large amounts of pot for wait for it.....

In 2016 didn't Violi offer to introduce Morena to Arcadi, Mucci and Cotroni Jr and tell him everyone was working together again?

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by chin_gigante

In 2016 didn't Violi offer to introduce Morena to Arcadi, Mucci and Cotroni Jr and tell him everyone was working together again?

That’s the problem, there is obviously something else that fears that, maybe that is a current that is still not acknowledged. It seemed the only mobsters that didn’t really feel it were Iavarone, including Ivano Gallo, etc., they are hooked up with the HA and the State IMO.
If I can get someone to admit, I’ll definitely add it to this thread.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 03:28 PM

I've always found the statement from morena about Arcadia,Mucci and cotroni Jr bs.
Arcadi wasn't released from jail until Mar 2017.
Cotroni Jr has no influence in MTL going back probably to the 2004 death of his father. There is no evidence of the cotroni family holding any influence or power since SRS death.
Mucci is a possibility his allegiance during the MTL war has been a ??
Mucci was a longtime member of Paolo violis inner circle so that would make sense.
Also Arcadi is a Rizzuto loyalist and imprisoned or not would not be allied w/ the violi bros.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 04:08 PM

Do you guys think that Desjardins and Mirarchi will have their tickets punched? I hope that "Old" fuck gets it soon...
Posted By: mike68

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 04:24 PM

I'm curious as to what Mirarchi's status is now. He's been out for a while and it doesn't appear that there have been any moves against him. Is he back with Desjardins again?

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/03/21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy2Times

Do you guys think that Desjardins and Mirarchi will have their tickets punched? I hope that "Old" fuck gets it soon...

Since his incarceration in December 2011, at least a dozen people associated with him have been murdered, including his brother-in-law and ex-mafia number 2, Joe Di Maulo in 2012, his friend and business partner, Gaétan Gosselin. in 2013, and his older brother, Jacques Desjardins in 2017.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/04/21 07:30 AM

Salvatore Montagna grew up in that life. He was a gopher and messenger for his father and uncles, and knew other important mafiosi in CDG and surrounding areas, the Domingos, Buccellatos. His father Antonio sent the family to America in the mid 1980s for safety after he had a talk with Calogreo Minero about Riina and his followers. When they moved to the Bronx, the mafia members the family had the most contact with were Manny Guaragna and Anthony Mascone. Salvatore did part time construction in high school, which he actually graduated from. Around 1988 Gerlando Sciascia had a construction company in the Bronx, and Montagna sought employment there. Not long after that he was on record with Sciascia and at the same time was an iron worker hence his nickname, and his fortunes began to start. He was back and forth between the Bronx and North East Brooklyn. He opened Matrix Steel Company in Bushwick. He was made at the age of 24 or 25, so he was made in either 1995 or 1996. When Sciascia was killed, Montagna was put with Patrick DeFilippo crew to keep an eye on him. Basciano had no problems with him, but Montagna may have suspected Johnny Joe was involved with Gerlandos killing. DeFilippo goes to jail and has legal problems and Montagna is acting Capo of that crew by 2003. Basciano is convicted in May of 2006, and sends word that Montagna is Acting Boss of the family.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/04/21 12:50 PM

Giuseppe (Ponytail) De Vito, who was killed behind bars via cyanide poisoning in 2013. De Vito had joined with Desjardins and deported New York mob boss Salvatore (Sal the Ironworker) Montagna to challenge Rizzuto’s power while Rizzuto was locked up. Three of De Vito’s top men, Giuseppe (Joe Closure) Colapelle (2012), Vinnie Scuderi (2013) and Nick Di Marco (2017) have been murdered in the war as well. Joe Closure was De Vito’s liaison to Sal Montagna.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/04/21 02:12 PM

I know Domenico Arcuri Jr and Antonio Arcuri were with Sal and Desjardins and Mirarchi were plotting to get them but didn't. Hollander was Joe Closure at one time a higher ranked guy in the Rizzuto faction before becoming a Desjardins loyalist?
Posted By: BensonHURST

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/09/21 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Salvatore Montagna grew up in that life. He was a gopher and messenger for his father and uncles, and knew other important mafiosi in CDG and surrounding areas, the Domingos, Buccellatos. His father Antonio sent the family to America in the mid 1980s for safety after he had a talk with Calogreo Minero about Riina and his followers. When they moved to the Bronx, the mafia members the family had the most contact with were Manny Guaragna and Anthony Mascone. Salvatore did part time construction in high school, which he actually graduated from. Around 1988 Gerlando Sciascia had a construction company in the Bronx, and Montagna sought employment there. Not long after that he was on record with Sciascia and at the same time was an iron worker hence his nickname, and his fortunes began to start. He was back and forth between the Bronx and North East Brooklyn. He opened Matrix Steel Company in Bushwick. He was made at the age of 24 or 25, so he was made in either 1995 or 1996. When Sciascia was killed, Montagna was put with Patrick DeFilippo crew to keep an eye on him. Basciano had no problems with him, but Montagna may have suspected Johnny Joe was involved with Gerlandos killing. DeFilippo goes to jail and has legal problems and Montagna is acting Capo of that crew by 2003. Basciano is convicted in May of 2006, and sends word that Montagna is Acting Boss of the family.

Sometimes when a guy is moved up it is because he is controllable.
Meaning he will be an extension of the actual.

So he is more controllable than capable.

That may have been the case with Montagna, Basciano knew that he could 100% control Sal, and by default the family.

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/09/21 04:49 AM

We can speculate on Sal all we want. Look at who replaced him when he was deported Vinny TV. I think that guy was easier to control or use as a acting boss then Sal. It clearly shows Sal was a rising star in the family and was not to be used as a front like Fat Tony Salerno was. Lastly, he had to be capable for he lasted, what 3 years as acting boss. He did serve under some great captains (Sciascia, DeFilippo, and Basciano). We need more rats from that family during that time period to fill us in about Sal's short reign lol.
Posted By: jackdempsey1930

Re: Sal Montagna - 06/09/21 04:46 PM

One of my friends at work was close with the iron worker. Sal had recently moved from brooklyn to Bellmore i believe . He was acting boss at the time but he didnt have a crew on long island. For some reason the west babylon/babylon area is/was a bonanno breading ground. Knowing this he was going there looking for some guys i took it. Sal was my introduced to my friend by his father who was a long time soldier. Sal and my friend hit it off and became good friends. Sal liked my friend so much he was trying to make him but my friend had no interest in that life. But my friend really liked sal and said he was a really nice guy. Nothing like the hot head, loud mouth inspiring gansters that flooded babylon at the time. I met sal once real quick and he was a genuine polite guy. Sal always had a smoking hot girl with him ill tell you that. Anyway my friend told me about the deportation before it hit the papers. He even made told me Sal was going to take over everything up there like it was easy. Sals body was shipped dowm to long island and he was buried in pinelawn cemetary. Last thing my friend told me about that situation was the funeral was really sad. Sals wife and young kids didnt go to canada with him and stayed on L.I.. Sals wfie and kids missed there hiusband/dad and the when they finally see him its in a casket. My friend said sals family was devasted.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET