Home

Examples of front bosses?

Posted By: JackieAprile

Examples of front bosses? - 04/24/21 04:23 AM

Who were some famous "front" bosses or fake bosses, and how would such a scenario work with the front boss not finding out?
Posted By: DillyDolly

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/24/21 11:27 AM

Front boss not finding out what? Anthony Salerno is probably the most famous example of a front boss, Carmine Galante was a fake boss, as was Funzi Tieri, Carmine Tramunti. There's been several who acted in a boss capacity, but were never THE MAN, if you know what I mean.
Posted By: Njein

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/24/21 01:41 PM

Chicago used a similar system where Paul Ricca and Tony Accardo were the real powers behind the throne.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/24/21 03:18 PM

Also Merlino used Ralph Natale as front boss.
Posted By: Zavattoni

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/24/21 05:31 PM

Tom DiBella fronted for Carmine Persico.

He was still able to make members; and had a lot of power.
Posted By: azguy

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/25/21 04:58 PM

Junior Soprano
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/25/21 06:03 PM

Like somebody mention Funzi Tieri is one of the best examples especially how he manipulated the Philly mob to be aligned with the Genovese family
Posted By: LurkerGuy

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/26/21 11:36 AM

To be completely honest, I've always felt the concept of a "front boss" is somewhat overrated. If everyone in New York knew Salerno was a front boss, how good of a front boss could he have been? I think what really existed was a pattern of delegation and collaboration in decision-making between several high-ranking individuals in the family.

Pete Savino's account in *The Five Families* comes to mind. When he was called in to account for the Shorty Spero murder, he met with Salerno, Gigante, *and* Tieri at the same time, and Savino wasn't even a made man. Similarly, Salerno was caught on tape grousing to Corallo about being overruled by "Ben" (retired boss Phil Lombardo) and "downtown" (Gigante).

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/27/21 05:03 AM

Well if Salerno was overruled by Lombardo and Gigante then he was just a front boss, not to mention front bosses among other things helped Gigante stay out of prison for decades. So apparently there is a point to front bosses. What a ridiculous comment 🙄
Posted By: LurkerGuy

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/27/21 01:48 PM

He was overruled on a decision he thought he had latitude to make independently. I'm not saying Salerno was really the boss or on Gigante's level, but he had a considerable amount of power and influence in the family and the ability to make decisions on non life-or-death matters.
Posted By: jace

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/27/21 03:52 PM

What are the benefits of being a front boss? I can't understand why a person would take the heat that comes with the position despite any benefits. Both Salerno and Tieri had a lot of pressure on them, it seems it started the second they took a boss spot.

Re: Examples of front bosses? - 04/27/21 04:50 PM

Both Tieri and Salerno had long, prosperous mob careers before their eventual downfall, which didn't come until they were already old and didn't give a fuck. And of course they had considerable clout even though they weren't the official bosses.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET