Home

Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone

Posted By: NYMafia

Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 07:39 PM

Although bouncing around the underworld for decades, with a serious criminal record to prove it, Steve Cannone was generally not known to the general public.

But that all changed in 1979 with the sensational gangland execution of mob boss Carmine Galante.

Here is his story!

https://thenewyorkmafia.com/2021/01/10/stefano-stevie-beef-cannone/
Posted By: ColonelReb

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by NYMafia

Although bouncing around the underworld for decades, with a serious criminal record to prove it, Steve Cannone was generally not known to the general public.

But that all changed in 1977 with the sensational gangland execution of mob boss Carmine Galante.

Here is his story!

Galante was murdered in 1979. I'm sure you know that you just the wrote it wrong

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ColonelReb

But that all changed in 1977 with the sensational gangland execution of mob boss Carmine Galante.

Here is his story!

Galante was murdered in 1979. I'm sure you know that you just the wrote it wrong

yes, lol, thank you. I also misunstood your other question about Sonny Red

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 08:39 PM

Here is a video of Stevie Beefs(cig in mouth) shaking Bruno Indelicato's hand at the Ravenite directly after the Galante hit. Can you guys identify any other guys in the surveillance clip?

https://youtu.be/Qjulgd52GpY

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 08:40 PM

To me it looks like Cannone, Bruno, Sonny Red, phil lucky, and somebody else. Jb maybe?

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 08:44 PM

Here is his story!

That was a typo on my part....~Lisa B

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 08:57 PM

Just a quick question. I have Cannone's social club on Prince Street listed as The Musical Club. I think that was it's old name. Where did you find the info of it being called the Sorrento social club? Just curious
Posted By: Dob_Peppino

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 08:59 PM

Good article. One question that comes to mind is what crew was he in as a soldier?

Another question and maybe its should be in another thread but, where did the stark loyalty to Rusty Rastelli stem from? I just don't see him as a powerhouse, was it out of fear or mainly the dislike of Galante?

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 10:27 PM

Just a quick question. I have Cannone's social club on Prince Street listed as The Musical Club. I think that was it's old name. Where did you find the info of it being called the Sorrento social club? Just curious

Either in various FBI 302's or his FOIA file. I searched so many documents on him I forgot exactly now. I do remember that this club was a short hop from his residence at the time. I think it was surveillance reports.

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino

Good article. One question that comes to mind is what crew was he in as a soldier?

Another question and maybe its should be in another thread but, where did the stark loyalty to Rusty Rastelli stem from? I just don't see him as a powerhouse, was it out of fear or mainly the dislike of Galante?

It was never stated. But it was said that he had a close personal association with Joe Bonanno himself in the early decades so who knows. Maybe Bonanno himself brought him in.

I questioned that myself since Cannone was SO close to Di Palermo, who in turn was best buddies with Galante. Obviously there was a falling out along the way for him to back Rastelli.

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/10/21 11:13 PM

It was never stated. But it was said that he had a close personal association with Joe Bonanno himself in the early decades so who knows. Maybe Bonanno himself brought him in.

I questioned that myself since Cannone was SO close to Di Palermo, who in turn was best buddies with Galante. Obviously there was a falling out along the way for him to back Rastelli.

Makes sense. His social club is right down the street from DiPalermos Prince Street HQ and right across the street from the Thompson Social club frequented by Petey Beck.
Posted By: Dob_Peppino

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 01/11/21 12:09 AM

If I had to take a guess seeing that he had a relationship to Bonanno directly, but switched sides apparently, Mike Sabella. Maybe Joe Notaro.
Posted By: Mamaluke

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 02/09/21 10:47 PM

Ha ha. Stevie Beefs was my grandfather. Wish I could answer the questions about is early life in the organization but it was a bit before my time.

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 02/10/21 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mamaluke
Ha ha. Stevie Beefs was my grandfather. Wish I could answer the questions about is early life in the organization but it was a bit before my time.

I'm curious. Did you enjoy my bio on your grandfather?

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 02/11/21 12:18 AM

Yes NYmafia,

I was amazed at the level of detail. A few slight inconsequential errors, but overall very accurate. For instance gramps never owned the apartment on Pearl street. It was a rent controlled building that he rented. That goes back to your point that he never was a big earner. I dont know why as he was fairly high up in the hierarchy but he never made much money.

Also his involvement in the garment business was strictly as an employee. He was never a shadow owner as far as I ever knew. He literally went to work every day and pressed pants and dresses. I was brought there several times by my father to visit him at work. He would work a full day, then eat dinner and head out to the club to play cards and do business after hours.

He did own the bungalow out in Mattituck. He bought it in 1951 for about 10k and never put much into it. It was a nice little place near the water and we had alot of good times there.
Posted By: Zavattoni

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 02/11/21 11:56 PM

I may be wrong; but I read a while back;

Steve Cannone was Phil Rastelli's #2 guy as Consigliere; Massino was Defacto Underboss but Cannone had more power.

Cannone was more trusted by Phil Rastelli.

Is this true??
Posted By: MightyDR

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 02/12/21 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Zavattoni
I may be wrong; but I read a while back;

Steve Cannone was Phil Rastelli's #2 guy as Consigliere; Massino was Defacto Underboss but Cannone had more power.

Cannone was more trusted by Phil Rastelli.

Is this true??

Yes. Massino testified that in the early 80s Rastelli told him he got the number three spot, which was underboss. Normally number two would be underboss and three would be consigliere, but Cannone was the consigliere and Massino said he knew Cannone would always be Rastelli's number two.
Posted By: Njein

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 02/12/21 11:52 PM

how did Stevie Beef get his nickname?

Re: Stefano (Stevie Beef) Cannone - 02/12/21 11:58 PM

I was told he was called Stevie Beef because he was stocky, "beefy" especially when he was younger.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET