Home

The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957

Posted By: Dob_Peppino

The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 10/10/20 05:18 PM

The Mangano Crime Family, which would become today's Gambino Family,
was a powerful force, with a general/historical precedent of having three factions: The Mangano group (his relatives and supporters) The Anastasia group ( his large regime of street gangsters) and The Gambinos (a contingent of Sicilian Mafioso bound by blood and supporters). Today's Family still has the remnants of this dynamic.

Upper Echelon Members of Various Leadership Roles
1.) VINCENT MANGANO ( known as "Don Vincenzo". An old time mafioso/Labor Rackateer, with a stranglehold on Brooklyn Waterfront Unions. Heavily Allied with Joe Bonanno and Joe Profaci of New York.)
2.) ALBERT ANASTASIA ( The dominant presence in the Organization/Leader of a large regime of street guys with affliation to the Jewish Mob. Has a stranglehold on Brooklyn docks. Allied with Frank Costello of New York.)()
3.) FRANCESCO SCALICI (better known as "Frank Scalise", was an early Leader in the Family with a loyal following. International Narcotics Trafficker with connections to LUCKY LUCIANO in Sicily.)
4.) CARLO GAMBINO ( Black Market Rackateer from Sicily with with a large regime of relatives, Sicilian imports and supporters. In alliance with Vito Genovese and Tommy Lucchesse of New York. Has strong familial ties to Sicily.)
5.) SALVATORE CHIRI (known as " Toto Chirico". An Early leader in the Family. Anastasia's Underboss.)
6.) JOSEPH BIONDO (known as "Joe Bandy" A Powerful Capo and Advisory to Albert Anastasia. Has association to Lucky Luciano and later Carlo Gambino.)

CAPOREGIME

mangano regimes:
FILLPPO "PHILLIP COHEN" MANGANO
GUISEPPE "THE PEASANT" TRAINA
OLYMPIO "LILO" GAROFALO

anastastia regimes:
ANTONINO "NINO" CONTE
VINCENT "JIMMY" CRISALLI
FRANCESCO "FRANK" CORBI
JOSEPH FRANCO
ANTHONY RIZZO
DIEGO "PAPA DAVE" AMODEO
ROSARIO "CHARLEY BRUSH" DONGARRA
ARMAND "TOMMY" RAVA
CARMINE "THE DOCTOR" LOMBARDOZZI
STEFANO "14TH STREET STEVE" ARMONE
ANIELLO "NEIL" DELLACROCE

gambino regimes:
PAOLO GAMBINO
DOMENICO ARCURI
GAETANO "TOM" RUSSO
PAUL "BIG PAUL" CASTELLANO
PIETRO STINCONE
STEFANO LOPICCOLO
VINCENT "JIMMY THE BLONDE" CORRAO

SOLDATO/SOLDIERS
The Criminal Expertise: Waterfront Labor/Union Rackateering, Waste Management Infiltration, Black Market Rackets, Shylocking, Extortion, Gambling. Freelance Narcotics Trafficking, Food Industry infiltration.

mangano faction:
GIUSEPPE "BATTISTA" BALSAMO
ALBERT BRUNO
CALOGERO "LELIO" DI CARLO
GIUSEPPE BELFIORE
MARIO GARGANO
VINCENZO "JIMMY" DI LEONARDO
SALVATORE D' ACQUISTO
GIOVANNI "JOHN" SCIASIA
FELIX LOCICERO
GIOSUE MELI
VINCENT AVERSA
MARCO LIMANDRI
ONOFRIO MODICA
GIOACHINO "DANDY JACK" PARISI
ANDREA TORREGROSSA
CARLO ZACCARIA
NICHOLAS PATTI
JOHN IGNAZIO
VINCENZO LOCICERO
ANGELO CULMO
LEONARDO GRILLO
GIOACHINO "JACK" SPARACINO
JOHN BERNARDO
FILLIPO LICASTRI
CONSTANTINO "GUS" SCANNAVINO

anastasia faction:
ANTHONY "TOUGH TONY" ANASTASIO
JOHN "JOHNNY ROBERTS" ROBILOTTO
FRANCESCO "FRANKIE THE WOP" GAGLIARDI
JAMES "JIMMY WARD" MASSI
ANTONIO PATERNO
DONATO FATICO
JOSEPH N. GALLO
VINCENT "JIMMY JEROME" SQUILLANTE
GUISEPPE "JOE SCALISE" SCALICI
MICHAEL "THE BULL" BARATTA
JOSEPH "JOE SCOOTCH" INDELICATO
ALEXANDER "THE OX" DIBRIZZI
NICHOLAS DIBENE
SALVATORE "SAM SCALISE" SCALICI
ANTHONY "TONY SPRING" ROMEO
FRANK "DON CHEECH" DABBENE
EDWARD "EDDIE OTTAWA" CONSALVO
MICHAEL "MIKE TALLEY" CAIAZZA
JOSEPH FLORINO
DOMINICK IDA
ARTHUR TORTORELLO
DOMINICK "JOE PITTS" PETITO
BENEDETTO MACRI
ANTHONY "TONY PLATE" PLATA
JOSEPH "JOE PINEY" ARMONE
FRANCESCO "FRANKIE BROWN" BONGIORNO
ETTORE "EDDIE DOLLS" DECURTIS
LUIGI MORICA
JOSPEH PATERNO
ANTHONY "NINO" GAGGI
CARMINE DELLACROCE
GIUSEPPE ANASTASIO
ALFRED "BIG FREDDY" EPPOLITO
GIACOMO "JACK SCALISE" SCALICI
EDWARD "EDDIE THE WOP" D' ARGENIO
SALVATORE "TODDO" AURELLO
FRANK PERRONE
ANTHONY COPPOLA
FRANK "FRANK MILLER" LUCIANO
PASQUALE MATRANGA
ARTHUR "ch*nk" LEO
PETER "PETEY PUMPS" FERRERA
STEVEN "STEVIE COOGAN" GRAMMUTA
MICHAEL CIRELLI
GIUSEPPE "JOE RIVERS" SILESI
THOMAS ALTAMURA
ETTORE "TERRY" ZAPPI
JOSEPH "GUS" COLOZZO
NATALE "CHRIS" RICHICHI
CARMELO LICONTI
WILLIAM "BILLY BATTS" BENTVENA
ALFRED IPPOLITO
PASQUALE CORBI
ALBERT SERU
FRANCESCO ALIVENTI
PETER "PETE O'BRIEN" SAVIO
CATALDO "CHARLIE THE ANIMAL" DELUTRO
ANTHONY "BIG TONY" VANELLA
GIOVANNI "JOHN SCALISE" SCALICI
CARMINE "CHARLEY WAGONS" FATICO
ANTHONY "THE GEEP" SEDOTTO
MICHAEL "MIKEY D" D'ALESSIO
ANTHONY "FAT ANDY" RUGGIANO
PETER "LITTLE PETE" TAMBONE
JOSEPH "JOE ROGERS" STASSI

gambino faction:
FRANK CASTELLANO
JOSEPH ZINGARO
EDWARD ARONICA
ROSARIO "SALVATORE" MEZZASALMA
MICHAEL "SKINNY MIKE" PECORARO
GUISEPPE LOPICCOLO
JOHN SCOTTO
EMELIO CANTALUPO
COSMO "GUS" FRANCO
SALVATORE RICCOBONO
GAETANO "GUY" RUSSO
JOHN "JOHNNY CONNETICUT" BUSSO
GUISEPPE "JOE THE WOP" GENNARO
IGNAZIO MANINNO
THOMAS MASOTTO
GUISEPPE "STATEN ISLAND JOE" RICCOBONO
SALVATORE "TOTO" SETTIMO
JAMES "JIMMY BROWN" FAILLA
ROCCO "ROGIE" MAZZI
GIACOMO "JACK" SCARPULLA
SALVATORE GUGLIELMINI
ANTHONY ROMANO
BARTOLO CASTELLANO
SALVATORE CURTO
FRANCESCO ALBERTI

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 10/11/20 01:45 AM

I am someone who doesn't believe in coincidence. In the movie Goodfellas
Joe pesci's Tommy character said specifically "You Bought your fucking button" to Bill Batts. Now I do realize that is a general statement that could be meant just to offend. Although I Don't have verification, I do believe
the member WILLIAM "BILLY BATTS" BENTVENA was apart of the crop of guys in the 50s who took advantage of Frank Scalise selling buttons for an allotted sum of money.
Posted By: MightyDR

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 10/11/20 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
I am someone who doesn't believe in coincidence. In the movie Goodfellas
Joe pesci's Tommy character said specifically "You Bought your fucking button" to Bill Batts. Now I do realize that is a general statement that could be meant just to offend. Although I Don't have verification, I do believe
the member WILLIAM "BILLY BATTS" BENTVENA was apart of the crop of guys in the 50s who took advantage of Frank Scalise selling buttons for an allotted sum of money.

Yeah that was an interesting thing for him to say that made me come to the same conclusion, especially since Batts was supposed to be a member of the Gambinos.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 10/11/20 06:52 PM

@MightyDR
Right! Although it seemed of the cuff and improvised, it was way too specific of a statement considering who it was and what it was said about.
Posted By: NYMafia

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 10/11/20 08:00 PM

Very nice list of their early layout.

The only thing I'd say that Nino Conte, as well as Dave Amodeo and the Scalise brothers were part of, and leaned more toward the Sicilian faction of the Gambino brothers and other Palermo based allies.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 10/11/20 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by NYMafia

The only thing I'd say that Nino Conte, as well as Dave Amodeo and the Scalise brothers were part of, and leaned more toward the Sicilian faction of the Gambino brothers and other Palermo based allies.

When coming up with the list, I tried hardest to keep in line with what (based on the research) the allegiances were during that time, and not so much what we know about certain alliances that happen during the fallout or later in the history. For example, Scalise "could've" been put on either side but my thoughts is that we mostly hear about Anastasia having a large regime. I know alot of guys definitely came under Carlo's umbrella after 1957 but before that, many were with Albert. Like Nino Conte, I've seen things that suggested he was Very close to Anastasia. I could be wrong.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 10/11/20 09:54 PM

When coming up with the list, I tried hardest to keep in line with what (based on the research) the allegiances were during that time, and not so much what we know about certain alliances that happen during the fallout or later in the history. For example, Scalise "could've" been put on either side but my thoughts is that we mostly hear about Anastasia having a large regime. I know alot of guys definitely came under Carlo's umbrella after 1957 but before that, many were with Albert. Like Nino Conte, I've seen things that suggested he was Very close to Anastasia. I could be wrong.

I understand your way of thinking. And I think you're largely correct. After all Frank Scalise was Alberts UB for years, so naturally his brothers fell in line as well. Joe, Jack and John Scalise.

But Antonino Conte and his son Patsy were staunch Sicilians. For that matter so was Dave Amodeo and the Scalise's, Scarpulla, Masotto and those others. As I wrote in Scarpulla's bio that I recently did many were related by blood /marriage as well. They dealt with Albert and respected him as "boss", but he was a Calabrian so in truth although they respected him, he wasn't their first choice to lead. He became leader though sheer force of power and bloodshed (Mangano) of course.

But once he clipped Frank Scalise whatever previous loyalty they had to Anastasia evaporated. At that point ALL Sicilians closed ranks and plotted his elimination. That's how and why Carlo Gambino rose to power.

And all those names I mention above were in solidarity with Gambino and the Palermo faction.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 10/11/20 10:13 PM

No argument here, I am in total agreement . Dave Amodeo and Rosario Dongarra and a few others alliances are more clear once you get into the 60s but alot of the info available can be vague about this period.
(Its funny that a definitive movie hasn't been done about New York CN from the late 40s to the mid 60s. So much happened, that would be a three hour epic, but I guess thats for another thread)

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 10/13/20 04:54 PM

I find it interesting that nothing ever came out about Don Vincenzo Mangano 's death. Are we to assume that Anastasia didn't have too many people involved and it was sorta done in a quick fashion? Meaning he kinda didn't need to involve many Caporegime and knew everyone would just fall in line

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 10/18/20 08:39 PM

@NyMafia
Why do you think Jimmy Jerome Squillante and Johnny Roberts Ribolotto didn't fall in line with Don Carlo?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/10/20 03:39 AM

any info on the rackets of Phil Mangano?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/10/20 12:45 PM

@NyMafia
Why do you think Jimmy Jerome Squillante and Johnny Roberts Ribolotto didn't fall in line with Don Carlo?

Squillante was Anastasia's boy. He tied his fortunes too Albert. And Johnny Roberts was all over the place. He was more Genovese oriented than Gambino oriented. He was originally "with" Tony Bender's crew until Albert absorbed him under his umbrella in Brooklyn. Albert personally made him, so he loved Albert. He was loyal, to a fault I guess.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/10/20 12:45 PM

Mangano was the boss, so he had all the rackets. But in his era it would have typically been bootlegging and the Italian lottery.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/10/20 01:24 PM

Mangano was the boss, so he had all the rackets. But in his era it would have typically been bootlegging and the Italian lottery.

I thought the Mangano brothers had their own interests in the docks?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/16/20 12:24 AM

@Chin_gigante. Can you elaborate on the BIONDO, RICCOBONO and DONGARRA connection? You said "possibly Carlo Gambino". If he wasn't fully involved how did he ascend to power?

Originally Posted by chin_gigante
Does anyone know why Profaci (Gallo and Perisco) are associated with the Anastasia Hit? I never understood the possible connection.

Gallo bragged about it in a bar to Sidney Slater a week after the murder happened. Said he, Joey Gioelli, Ralph Mafrici, Frank Illiano and Sonny Camerone did it. Peter Diapoulos later said that Joey and Larry Gallo did it on Profaci's orders and that was how they got straightened out. Then in the 1980s, Carmine Persico told his brother-in-law Fred DeChristopher that Gallo had lied about participating in it. Persico then took credit for it. Vincent Teresa and Bill Bonanno have repeated Gallo's claim that he was responsible. Teresa said that Genovese ordered the hit and assigned it to Tony Strollo, who got the Gallos in. The Gallos were then sent to Raymond Patriarca, who lent them John Nazarian and Nicholas Bianco for the hit.

Teresa's story is totally unbelievable nonsense. Diapoulos' claim that Profaci was in on it is also unfounded - there's nothing to suggest Profaci was involved in the conspiracy. Gallo's brag to Slater and Persico's brag to DeChristopher are also bullshit boasts. The hit came from within Anastasia's family, possibly with secret support from Genovese and Tommy Lucchese. Joseph Biondo, Joseph Riccobono and Charles Dongarra (and possibly Carlo Gambino) were the main instigators. Steve Grammauta and either Joseph Cahill or Arnold Wittenberg were the shooters.

Posted By: chin_gigante

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/16/20 02:10 AM

PAUL: I thought that the Commission appointed the representatives.

SM: No sir!

BILL: That's what happened with - what's his name? - with Carlo Gambino. Wasn't it that way?

BILL: No, with Joe Colombo!

SM: No, not as far as we are concerned. Let me explain it to you. We appointed Carlo Gambino provisionally.

BILL OR PAUL: Huh?

SM: Wait a minute! We appointed him provisionally and, then, later the "borgata" made him. Carlo Gambino was made by the "borgata", not by the Commission.

PAUL: But you appointed him provisionally.

SM: Because there was a "pupu sbambato" (untranslatable. It means a "baby in his dotage.") Therefore, the first thing I did was to push (support) Carlo Gambino who was already the "consigliere" (advisor) of the"borgata." Therefore, there was Toto -- (unintelligible) -- Catone -- they consented; they talked to me and that's why Carlo Gambino was appointed. The Commission went along readily in order to keep these people from disbanding. There was Joe - what's his name? - Carlo's underboss -

BILL: Biondo!

SM: Joe Biondo. The others were there and the purpose was to keep them togeher. Once they were kept together, they had an opportunity to elect the boss they wanted. This was the principle - Carlo Gambino was made because he was "consigliere." He was pushed (supported) because he was familiar with everything; he knew the situation. That's what happened. Joe Bruno knew the situation. Joe Riccobono knew the situation and they pushed with their help.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=127672&search=%22Gambino%22_and+%22consigliere%22#relPageId=84&tab=page

Anastasia was going to kill Joseph Riccobono, Joseph Biondo and Charles Dongarra. Joseph Franko, a captain in this family, and a close friend of Anastasia learned of the plans to kill these three individuals and told them. Consequently, these three individuals plus Andrew Alberti, Joseph Gallo/ from Thirty Fourth Street, between Second and Third Avenues, NYC/ Steve Grammatula and Joe Cahill /not a member of the family, but highly respected/ got together and decided to kill Anastasia. Cahill and Grammatula were given the contract. [...] Riccobono advised Thomas Luchese and Vito Genovese that someone in his family had killed Anastasia. Riccobono requested a meeting be held so he could explain the shooting.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=125376&search=%22Anastasia%22_and+%22cahill%22#relPageId=8&tab=page
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/16/20 02:39 AM

Why did Gambino become Anastasia' successor if Riccobono, Biondo, and Dongarra did the heavy lifting?
Posted By: chin_gigante

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/16/20 12:29 PM

Mr. ADLERMAN. At the time that Albert Anastasia was killed, who do you believe arranged for his murder?

Mr. VALACHI. I believe that Vito Genovese worked hand in hand with Gambino and Joe Bandi. In other words, they have the right to do something like this. If it appears that Vito Genovese had a hand in it, then it would be hard to explain. But being that Albert Anastasia was doing so much wrong and it was up to his own family to act, in other words, what I am trying to tell you is that Gambino, Joe Bandi, and the rest, whoever they may have been in on it, acted with the assurance of Vito Genovese backing them up.

Mr. ADLERMAN. Now, after Anastasia was killed - you don't know who did the killing, do you?

Mr. VALACHI. No. You mean the actual trigger men?

Mr. ADLERMAN. That is right.

Mr. VALACHI. No, I don't.

Mr. ADLERMAN. Do you believe that Genovese and Gambino and Bandi were behind it?

Mr. VALACHI. Yes.

Mr. ADLERMAN. But you have no proof of that?

Mr. VALACHI. No, sir.

(Organized Crime and Illicit Traffic in Narcotics. Hearings before the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations of the Committee on Government Operations. United Ststes Senate. Part 1. 1963. pp. 348-349.)

Whoever killed Anastasia - and the indications were that it was men within his own Family - was not really my concern, but the concern of his Family. The identity of Albert's slayers was of interest to those who wanted to avenge his death. My main preoccupation was with the effects of Albert's death. On the Commission, Anastasia's demise benefited both Genovese and Lucchese, whose animosity toward Albert was well known. The man being mentioned to replace Albert as Father of his Family was Carlo Gambino. Lucchese and Gambino were very close; they were related because their children had intermarried. If Gambino was confirmed as Father, that would mean that on the Commission the liberal wing of Genovese-Lucchese-Gambino would form a united faction of equal voting strength with the conservative faction of Bonanno-Profaci-Magaddino. Just because Genovese and Lucchese benefited from Anastasia's death didn't necessarily mean that they had initiated it. However, the timing of Albert's death indicated that at the very least either Genovese or Lucchese condoned or did nothing to try to prevent it. [...] If I had been in the United States when Anastasia was killed, I would have moved very slowly. I would have given the people in Anastasia's Family time to resolve their leadership crisis. Perhaps someone other than Gambino might have emerged as Father if things had been left alone without outside interference. If I had been around I would have definitely lobbied against a national meeting. Such a conference would have the effect of giving official sanction to Gambino, pulling the rug out from under any dissidents within his Family. Of course, that's exactly what Lucchese and Genovese wanted.

(Bonanno, Joseph, with Sergio Lalli. A Man of Honor: The Autobiography of Joseph Bonanno. 1983. St. Martin's Paperbacks edition, 2003, pp. 207-208.)

After Anastasia's murder, the threat of a shooting war was in the air once more. The meeting that prevented such a war was held on November 9, 1957, at the home of a Genovese captain named Ruggiero "Richie" Boiardo in Livingston, New Jersey. [...] One group, the Anastasia loyalists, was represented by Aniello Dellacroce and Tommy Rava. The other group was represented by Carlo Gambino, consigliere of the Anastasia Family. As always, Gambino was aligned with Tommy Lucchese, head of the Lucchese family. At the meeting, Lucchese suggested that my father, as chairman of the Commission, appoint a temporary leader of the Anastasia family. This was a shrewd move by Lucchese, because a temporary appointment that was approved by the Commission was unlikely to be challenged. But it should be noted that the Anastasia Family had to grant the chair of the Commission this authority, or the Commission would have no power to act. And that is exactly what happened: The opposing parties - as well as Nino Conti, who had replaced Frank Scalice as Anastasia's sotto capo - agreed that my father, as chair, should name the temporary leader. Bonanno and the Commission accepted their decision, and the groups declared a truce. Although some speculated that Carlo Gambino may have had a hand in Anastasia's murder, there was no hard evidence against him, and my father chose Gambino as temporary leader of the Family, for a three-year term. However, he did so under three conditions: First, that Gambino report to a Commission member from time to time. (Tommy Lucchese, future father-in-law to Gambino's son, would fill this role.) Second, that neither Gambino nor any other group leader could arbitrarily be removed or replaced without Commission approval. And, third, that at the end of his probationary term, if everyone was happy, Gambino would become the permanent leader. That's exactly what happened. Some years later, I had the opportunity to ask my father why he'd chosen Gambino despite the suspicions that he may have been involved in Anastasia's assassination. My father's answer was short and blunt: "One needs much more than his masculinity to survive in this world of ours. One needs friends. We considered Gambino a generally peaceful person, somewhat servile, but one who would go out of his way to avoid conflict. We needed someone who could bring the various warring factions together and not tear them further apart. We did not need guts - what we needed was brains. Brains he had." As it turns out, my father's analysis was correct. In 1960, at a meeting in Ontario, California (we were in the state to attend that year's Democratic National Convention), we officially sanctioned Gambino as the head of the Family.

(Bonanno, Bill, and Gary B. Abromovitz. The Last Testament of Bill Bonanno. Harper Collins, 2011, pp. 186-188.)

The meeting was held at Richie-s farm /possibly Richard Boiardo/ in New Jersey. Riccobono advised those at the meeting the reason Anastasia had been killed, without identifying the killers and stated if he had been wrong in doing so, they could hold him responsible. At this meeting, in substance a trial, all responsible parties were pardoned, including Cahill and Grammatula. [...] Informant stated the Apalachin meeting was a continuation of the New Jersey trial or meeting so that the New York faction could advise the hoodlums from the other parts of the country the reason that Anastasia had been killed and that at the New Jersey meeting all responsible parties for the killing had been pardoned, including the killers.

(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=125376&search=%22Riccobono%22_and+%22cahill%22#relPageId=10&tab=page)

The purpose of this meeting was to discuss the Anastasia killing. Informant advised the Commission members were "feeling the pulse" of the attendees. The Commission, of course, was aware Anastasia was slain but it appeared to the informant there was some confusion even among the Commission members as to why Anastasia was slain. From the way the "inquiry" made by the Commission went, informant got the opinion that some of the Commission members knew why Anastasia was killed but some did not. Informant pointed out the "inquiry" was completely in English. Carlo Gambino was among several speakers and he informed everyone that Anastasia was killed as he was using people from other "families" to kill people and he was killing some people who should not have been killed. Once the slaying of Anastasia was completely discussed it was decided to continue this meeting at another location. The location of the second meeting was decided by the Commission to take place in upstate New York at Joe Barbara's estate.

(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc...24-10297-10003#relPageId=12&tab=page)
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/17/20 05:37 PM

Good post Chin. Carlo was also a sly one, willing to work with others and avoid conflicts as much as possible. Carlo Gambino was a Mangano supporter and never cared for Albert Anastasia tactics. Joe and Bill Bonanno said what they said, but they had seen the writing on the wall, Gambino had Genovese and Lucchese support, Bonanno, Profaci, and Magaddino were not going to play against them but allow Gambino to be on a probation period, if Carlo did anything wrong that was serious, the Commission would be able to remove him, not kill him, only if it warranted such a sanctioned hit.
Sidenote, Santo Trafficante was angry at what happened when he was in New York to talk to double A and was in the dark, afterwords he had a strong dislike for Joe the Blond.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/17/20 07:32 PM

Who do you think Gambino could have been replaced with (power wise) during that time?

Secondly, Do you think Trafficante was used as a distraction or just coincidence? And why the beef with Gallo, I thought Anastasia was trying to muscle in on Trafficante territory in cuba?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/18/20 07:16 AM

Joseph Biondo nickname was Joe the Blond same as Joe Gallo nickname. That is the confusion when people in somewhat of the know, knew who ordered it but did not know his real name. It was a joint hit, with Joe Biondo doing most of the feeling out of a few of the other families. Profaci and Bonanno were in the dark, there is some evidence around some of the Bonanno and Profaci members that hanged around Joe Armone that they most likely knew Double A was going to get hit and didn't say a word to their capos and administration members. Hope that clears up the Joe the Blond was behind it.

If Carlo Gambino was removed. Tommy Rava would have been the strongest contender for the spot, but they got rid of him fast. Let's say the events played out as they did in the Gambino family till 1959. Gambino is removed and the contenders are Joe Riccobono, Joe Biondo, Neal Dellacroce, Steve Armone(Charles Dongarro took over this crew when Armone died in 1960 and he himself was a powerhouse of his own) Giuseppe Traina (most powerful in connections with other families across the states and Italy and no one would have made a move on him, he did turn down the offer of underboss at least twice) Arthur Leo, Calogero DiCarlo and Vincent Squillante but he would not have lasted long either being stripped of the title or most likely still being killed.

Trafficante was used as an opportunity for the hitters.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/18/20 02:30 PM

Got it, I only knew Biondo as "Joe Bandy". I do tend to believe it was more in-house then the general narrative. This poses a question, that I'll ask in the Profaci thread.

Based on the candidates, and I don't know much on CHARLES DONGARRA (If you could expand on any info you know of.), I'd say TRAINA was best although he was long on the tooth at the time and didn’t want it. RICCOBONO and BIONDO were more likely.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/19/20 06:29 AM

Charles Dongarro also known as Rosario Dongarra, was part of Stefano Armone crew which was Joe Biondo old crew. He became Capo over Armone crew when Steve died. Born in Palermo in 1896. Was made by Salvatore D'Aquila. Known as a heavy hitter coming up and was close to Lucky Luciano, Joe Adonis, and Frank Costello in the Genovese family during those years. His closest allies and friends were Joe Riccobono and Agostino Amato. Moved to Brooklyn after the Castellammarese war, was in Manhattan. Big time drug dealer who supplied the local peddlers with large quantities. Had interests in dress and coat companies, a trucking business, a shipyard, had a partnership with Joe Rao in a unnamed business or service it peddled to. Outside New York, he had a few other interests, John Biondo in Connecticut, the Amatos in Florida, and Joe Paterno in New Jersey. Passed away in 1973, Joe Piney became Capo, it would have been Joe N Gallo, but he skipped up from soldier to Consigliere, shows how much clout that crew had back in the day.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/19/20 01:22 PM

@Giacomo_Vacari
You have been one of my favorite wealth of knowledge on this board, and a great help in our understanding of the landscape of these Families, IMO.
I'm gonna throw some names your way, and if you don't know, then you don't but I am sure any info would be appreciated.
Guys I never heard of before this research:
Vincent "Jimmy" Crisalli
Anthony Rizzo
Joseph Franco
Pietro Stincone

Guys who's names we've seen but little we know of:
Domenico Arcuri
Natale "Chris" Richichi
Alfred "Big Freddy" Eppolito
Charlie "The Animal" DeLutro
Joseph Zingaro
Frank " Frank Miller" Luciano

I'm sure you don't know all, so go for what you know, I am particularly curious about Crisalli, Richchi and Zingaro.

Another note: I find it fascinating how connected Lucky Luciano. Its almost like he was associated with anybody who was remotely somebody
lol. His tentacles ran deep, it gets easier to understand his influence.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/21/20 07:24 AM

Domenico Arcuri- lived in Tampa, FL from 1906 till his 1924 naturalization, then moved to New York. He was made sometime in the mid 1910s which made him part of the Tampa family for a time, considering that his relatives were the Diecidue, he would have had no trouble becoming made down there. From 1924 to the end of the Castellammarese war, is believed to have been a member of DiBella and Profaci family before transferring to the Mangano family who were distant relatives. From the 1930s till 1950s before the FBN took notice of him, nothing is known about his activities. A soldier in Joseph Franco's crew. Lived in Brooklyn, owned a liquor store in Manhattan that took numbers and was frequented by known narcotic dealers. Became Capo when Carmine Lombardozzi was demoted in the 1960s by Carlo Gambino. Passed away in 1974, most likely retired a couple of years before and had his son Joe succeeded him.

Joseph Franco, I have very little information about him only that he succeeded Vincent Crisalli as capo who Anastasia made direct with him, Carmine Lombardozzi succeeded him, and was a conduit between New York and the Baltimore crew and was close to the Corbi family in Baltimore, had a brother Cosmo who was heavy into drug dealing who was believed to have been one of those marked for death by Anastasia. Passed away in 1957, most likely made in the late 1940s, he was not yet 40.

Vincent Crisalli- lived in Red Hook Brooklyn. Had tremendous power on the Brooklyn docks, hooked up with the Anastasia brothers in 1931. Was a member of the City Democratic Club. Owned a few restraunts over the years. Anastasia promoted him to Capo after Vincent Mangano disappeared, a chief suspect in his disappearance. 1956 became direct with Albert Anastasia, Joe Franco Succeeded him as Capo. Suspected of relying hits for Anastasia. Sidelined after 1957, passed away in 1971.

Frank Luciano- another I have very little info on. Was partners with Joe Valachi in a restraunt. The two would come to the carpet, where Valachi had assaulted another made member being Frank Luciano. Luciano had been stealing from the business. Paid a fine for it. Heavily suspected in narcotic dealings. Was a member of Joe Riccobono crew, before that he was a member of a unidentified crew, transferred for yet again stealing. Died in 1972.

Tony Rizzo. Made during the 1920s. Was a bootlegger, and jeweler by profession, which made him a good fence in stolen jewelry. Lived in Brooklyn. Was a member of Tommy Rava crew. Became a Capo of part of this crew by Carlo Gambino after Tommy Rava was killed. His son John became a member of the family. Passed away in 1962. Salvatore Aurello and Sammy Gravano would become capos of this crew later on.

I am tired, I'll post at a later time. Hope that is helpful.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/21/20 08:54 AM

Correction, Joe Franco was in his mid 40s when he passed away.

Pietro Stincone- Came up under Joe Biondo. Made in the 1920s. Lived in Manhattan until around 1930 where he had moved to Queens. Conflicting reports, (which many of these guys have, what fun going through it all) 1) when Frank Scalise was killed he was promoted to Capo in Queens. 2) he was made Capo in 1958. 3) he was made a capo by Mangano in 1950. Heavily involved in smuggling of narcotics from Sicily, ran a card and craps game, had a shylock, had interests in a restaurant in Corona, a flower shop, and a furniture store. Retired in the late 1960s when Joe Riccobono was no longer Consigliere. Passes away in 1977.

Joseph Zingaro- Born in Palermo Sicily in 1912. Made in 1952-1954. A member of the Gambino crew, was close to Paolo Gambino, heavy in narcotic, suspected of murder in the tri-state area. Visited Toronto with Paolo Gambino, was his driver and bodyguard, succeeded Paolo Gambino as Capo. Retired in the late 1980s when Petey Orange passes away. No clue who that is. Passed away in 1995.

Alfred Eppolito- Born in 1915, made in the early 1950. Had connections to Boston, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New Jersey. Made a Capo by Carlo Gambino. Was haunted by other members passes away in 1963.

The Animal I am drawing a blank, you may have misspell the name

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/21/20 03:00 PM

This is fantastic information @Giacomo_Vacari. Highly informative. I have a few more if you are willing and if course have the info, don't worry I won't ask about "Petey Orange" lol (never remotely heard that name and what a nickname) maybe our friend @NyMafia can help I.D this Pete figure who died in the Late 80's?

So nothing on Natale Richichi? (He is like an anomaly to me, I can't find anything)

Stefano LoPiccolo
Arthur "ch*nk" Leo
Frank " Don Cheech" Dabbene
James "Jimmy Ward" Massi
Rocco Mazzi
Joseph "Joe Scootch" Indelicato
Anthony " Big Tony" Vanella
Anthony "Tony Plate" Plata

Thanks in advance, Giacomo_Vacari, you are a gentleman and a mob scholar as far as I am concerned!

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/22/20 06:29 AM

Cataldo "Charlie West" Delutro- Born in 1916. Living in Brooklyn from 1940s onwards. Made in the mid 1950s, his brother Anthony would be one of the last members made before the books closed. Known as a stick up man, his brother Pete was as well but was killed in Michigan in the 1940s after a robbery gone wrong. Never raised above soldier, believed to have reported to Frank Castellano Big Paul's father before being made and put into another crew, either Joe Riccobono or Carlo Gambino crew. Involved in narcotics smuggling while his brother Tony dealt it. Believed to have committed murders, said to have been given the contract on Al Eppolito, and a DeSimone both are said to have died of natural causes. 1971 Identified along with his brother as a soldier in Nino Gaggi crew. By the time Big Paul becomes official boss, his antics stop. Passed away in 1987, his brother Anthony would live another decade.

I have nothing on Natale Richichi except he took over part of Zappis crew, the part in Florida for 2 years till John Gotti forced him to step down and put in Lino.

Stefano LoPiccolo immigrated to New Orleans in the mid 1900s. By 1916 he was living in Brooklyn. He was one of Salvatore D'Aquila top lieutenants, after D'Aquila was killed he is only mentioned twice more as surviving an ambush near the end of the Castellammarese war, he was not the intended target, and selling his grocery store before returning home in 1932. Nothing more is known about him.

Joseph Indelicato, very little I have on him. His brother was Genovese soldier Anthony Indelicato who was killed in 1933. Joe was deported with a lot of other members in 1958. Listed as a Gambino member, but I believe he may actually have been a Genovese member due to his associations with a lot of identified members in that family. Cousin to Sonny Red Indelicato of the Bonanno family.

I have information on some of those members somewhere but not all of them, I do have Author Leo and Tony Plate info somewhere.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/22/20 09:13 AM

Correction LoPiccolo was Salvatore D'Aquila Consigliere. He had setup a hit for D'Aquila to gain more power in Queens.

My connection is weak, I do not have info on Dabbene and Vanella. I know. I have Tony Plate somewhere, just give me more time.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/22/20 06:40 PM

Of course. I'll give you sometime.

I know Dabbene was a Baltimore guy.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/22/20 06:40 PM

@NyMafia
SLEEPER REPORT! : NATALE RICHICHI

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/23/20 07:33 AM

Thanks that narrowed it down for me. I have Frank Dabbene in the Calabrian faction, and a close associate of Joe Scalise

Frank Dabbene- Also known as Don Ciccio and Don Cheech. Born in 1897 in Reggio di Calabria. Lived in Utica New York before moving to Baltimore. Became made in the 1950s. He was a tremendous earner as he financed bookmakers and was known to be a bank who could layoff some heavy bets. He operated numerous gambling games and ran the local lottery in Baltimore county. Prime suspect in a number of murders. Hanged out at the Trocadero Democratic club and East Baltimore street. Suspected in international narcotics trafficking given his every other year trip to Toronto, and Mexico city, and his yearly vacation in Italy. Help run the Carry-out beverage store with his nephews the Provenzas, to show income, and possibly was used to smuggle narcotics. Close to Buffalo members John Camizzo, the Damianis, and John Melito, the Caronnas, the Moricis, and the Scalises. Passed away in 1984.

Rocco Mazzie- Born in Pennsylvania in 1916. Nickname Rogie. He was an enforcer and involved with narcotics, a big dealer throughout the United States. Lived in the Bronx. Made in the 1950s. Was in Vincent Squillante crew. Haunts were East Harlem, strong connections with other families drug suppliers and dealers. Became capo over part of the Squillante crew after Vincent was killed. Force to retire by Big Paul and Nino Gaggi in 1976/77. Reinstated by John Gotti ( at least allowed to come to the social clubs) passed away in 1986.

Arthur Leo- also known as ch*nk, Mousie. Born in NYC in 1924. A protege of Frank Scalise and a member of his crew. Made in the late 1940s. Known as a sexual deviate. Involved in narcotics, policy, strongarm tactics, arrested for rape. Conflicting reports(a lot of these guys have conflicting reports and rumors, what fun going through all of them) 1) he was made a capo by Mangano in 1950 2) he was made Capo by Albert Anastasia in 1951 when Frank Scalise was bumped up to underboss 3) made a capo after Scalise was killed in 1957 4) was made a capo in 1958. He took over Scalise crew. He was all over the place. Died in 1965.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/23/20 08:25 PM

I (and I am sure the thread) appreciate your knowledge and research @Giacomo_Vacari. I believe we are getting a more clear picture of the Families during that time, when information like this is included and analyzed. There is some many dynamics and interesting characters that have been in CN.

A few more names:
Vincenzo "Jimmy" Di Leonardo
John "Johnny Connecticut" Busso
Giuseppe "Joe Rivers" Silesi
Giuseppe "Joe The Wop" Gennaro
Alexander " The Ox" DiBrizzi
Calogero " Lelio" DiCarlo
John Scotto
And if you still looking for Tony Plate.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/24/20 07:27 AM

James Massi- Known as Jimmy Ward. Brother in laws Peter and Anthony Casella in Philadelphia, Ben and Ted DeMartino. Maybe related to other mobster due to his brothers and son James. Born in NYC in 1908. Lived in the Bronx. Said to have been part of the Minutemen, the gang Joe Valachi was the driver in. Close to Rocco Mazzie, Vincent Squillante, and Giacomo Riina. Made in the 1950s. Known as a strongman and hitman, arrested in the company of Frank Amendola for Illegal firearms possession. Do to his associations with Amendola and Valachi, it is safe to assume he was affiliated with the Lucchese family before he joined the Gambino family. Big in the drug trade. Made into the Squillante crew. Sentence to ten years in 1958. Once released served under Rocco Mazzie, retired around the same time. Did an unknown favor for his brothers in law in Philadelphia in 1981. Passed away in 1989.

Anthony Plate- Also known as Tony Plates, The Pitbull. Was born in 1913, dont know where. He was known as a hitman, gambler, pimp, loanshark ( he personally meet with Trafficante at his north Miami home once a month with a fat envelope) and narcotics pusher. Made in the 1950s part of Tommy Rava crew, but since he lived in Florida, he had to report to Giuseppe Silesi, and his Lieutenant Tommy Altamura who Plate allegedly got into a verbal arguement after he learned Altamura was one of those that killed Tommy Rava. When Altamura was killed Plate became Silesi righthand man in Florida. Plate was a secret partner to Trafficante in a construction company. He also satdown for Joseph Indelicato after he swindled a visiting Gambino member, Indelicato was spared but was suspended until he paid back 50,000 thousand, plus interests, plus paid everyone there 1,000 (this some additional info on Joseph Indelicato, he was also one of the killers in Tommy Rava disappearance, I known what file it is under now, but it is gone, at least most of it) Indelicato was indeed a Gambino member. Plate frequented The Apartment ran by Bonanno soldier William Dara, and the 79th Street Causeway in Miami. He along with Frank Gagliardi were tasked with finding two unidentified Chicago members in 1976, suspected of dumping bodies in South Florida among them John Roselli, and talk to them. Meaning stop dumping bodies and leave. Weather they ever found then or not is unknown, but I doubt it as they were complaining about the individuals and that New York (Bosses) were going to put an end to it. He was involved in the George Byrum murder as a favor to Nino Gaggi. He was a codefendant with Dellacroce, it is doubtful that Plate would have talked, but he had stepped on alot of toes, and his presence was menacing that Dellacroce feared he would not beat the case. Plate disappeared in August 1979, according to Willie Johnson, it was Angelo Ruggiero and John Gotti. I believe one of Tony's associates Ralph Bishop was involved in luring Plate somewhere he would feel safe and Angelo and John took it from there.

That was a good file, but most of it is gone.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/24/20 08:24 AM

Giovanni Busso- Known as Johnny Connecticut. Born in 1898. Little about him. Made during the Castellammarese war. Member of Joe Biondo crew. Good friend was Lucchese soldier Frank Citrano, they ran a bakery together. Involved in Gambling and stolen goods. Some what of a tough guy but no indication that he was a hitman armed robbery and procession of a gun do not count. Frequented Lower Eastside in Manhattan and Hartford Connecticut. Retired to Miami when Joe Biondo was shelved. Dont have a death date.

Alexander DiBrizzi- Known as The Ox, Al Britton. Born in NYC 1892. His arrest and citations entries are a mile long. Gambling, assault, grand Larceny, criminal conspiracy. Made in the 1920s. Believed to be a Capo after the Castellammarese war. Lived on Staten Island. Close to the Anastasias. Ran the waterfronts on SI. President of Local 920 I.L.A owned Ten Acre Farm in NJ. Close associate with the Anastasia, Joe Lanza, Anthony Strollo, Anthony Corallo, and Carlos Marcello. His nephews became members and ran the docks when he retired. Moved to Mississippi and died there in 1980.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/24/20 04:11 PM

Calogero Di Carlo- Known as Lilo. Born in Corleone in 1901. Moved to the US in 1922. Made during the Castellammarese war. Most of his family became Lucchese members. Lived in Manhattan. Only arrest was being interned as an enemy alien for 5 months during WW2. Once released barely on the streets until the end of WW2. Was a member of Jerome D'Aquila crew. Owned Di Carlo Travel Agency, was used to smuggle narcotics, alien smuggling. Know as a counterfeiter and forger in the underworld. Promoted to Capo by Albert Anastasia when he took over. Remained in position until he had a disagreement with either Paolo Gambino or Paul Castellano, he was demoted and Olympio Garafalo became Capo in the 1960s. Still active until the mid 1970s. Passed away in 1994.

Vincenzo DiLeonardo- Known as Jimmy. Born in Bisacquino Sicily in 1880. Moved to the United States in the 1900s. Was close to the D'Aquila family. Lived in Brooklyn. Grandfather to Michael DiLeonardo. Remained in the D'Aquila crew his whole life until he died in 1971 serving under Garafalo.

Joseph Silesi. Born in NYC in 1896. Lived in Manhattan. Big in the gambling and union labor trade. Was made in the 1920s. Was in the same crew as Vincent Jimmy The Blond Corrao. 1945 was part of the Tony Anastasio crew. Moved to Cuba in the late 1940s to run gambling enterprises on the island for Albert Anastasia. Had a house in Cuba and Florida. Once Castro took over in Cuba, moved to Florida where he became a Capo with only a few soldiers while the rest of the members who were in different crews that lived in Florida part time of the year had to report to him as well. This why people believed he had a bigger crew than he really had, but he only had at least three soldiers and the rest just reported to him while they were in Florida. Forced into retirement in 1969, many believe it was 1967 after Altamura was killed, but information from informants said he was still capo in 1968. Stayed close to Trafficante until he died in 1987.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/24/20 08:49 PM

Fantastic. I just have one more batch of names then I'll stop being a pain in the arse lol

Olympio "Lilo" Garofalo
Joe" The Wop" Gennaro
Joseph "Gus" Colozzo
Anthony Rizzo
Vicent "Jimmy the Blonde" Corrao
Edward "Eddie Ottawa" Consalvo
Michael " Mike Talley" Caiazza

If not those guys, anyone that interests you during this time that you do have info on, would be appreciated. From there we can further analyze this crew

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/25/20 05:57 AM

I already posted Anthony Rizzo.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 11/25/20 08:10 AM

Giuseppe Gennaro- also known as Joe the Wop, Mr. Russo, Pete Russo, Prince of Mulberry St. Born in NYC in 1910. Lived in Manhattan. Involved with Vito and Michael Genovese in his teens before joining up with the Gambino family. After 1931 was in the same crew that Vincent Corrao was in. Involved in gambling and narcotics. Made in the late 1940s. Secret owner of a half a dozen nightclubs, secret partner in a number of stills. Put into Squillante crew in the early 1950s. Took over part of the Squillante crew after Vincent Squillante was killed. Became a force and power, that Gambino made James Failla capo over part of the crew who he trusted to keep Gennaro in check. Died in 1968, crew absorbed into Corrao, Failla, and Sedotto crews.

Vincent Corrao- also known as Jimmy the Blonde, Vincent Carreria. Born in NYC in 1909. Lived in Manhattan until 1940 then moved to Brooklyn. Arrests are recieving stolen goods, conviction for FNL. Close to top people in the Lucchese and Genovese crime family. Own property and a cafe in Manhattan, owned a trucking company in Queens. Both of his sons were made into the Gambino family. Became capo when "The Old Man" died, one of Manganos last picked before he disappeared. Passed away in 1976 and his son Joe succeeded him.

The rest just tidbits of info. Olympio Garafalo know as Lillo took over DiCarlo crew until he died in 1986. Michael Caiazza became capo when Dellacroce was made underboss.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/05/20 08:58 AM

Stephen Armone- also known as 14th St. Steve. Born in Palermo Sicily in 1899. Came to America in 1906 and grew up in Lower Eastside Manhattan. Made during the Castellammarese War. Brother to both Joe and Al. Became capo over Biondo crew when Biondo was promoted to Consigliere. Arrests include petty larceny 1918, Assault and Battery, Assault and battery to kill, narcotics, burglary. Was a major narcotics smuggler and distributor with Gambino soldier Arnold Romano. Served jail time in 1935. Associates, Arnold Romano, Joe Biondo, Joe Armone, Al Armone, Frank Alberti, Andrew Alberti, Anthony Strollo, Joe Valachi, the Tramaglinos, Charles Albero, and Joe Marone. Close to the Alberti family and visited their bakery. One of the plotters in the Anastasia hit. Suddenly died in 1960 and Dongarro took over his crew.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/05/20 11:49 AM

Do you have any info on Anthony Romano or the D'alessio brothers?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/07/20 02:15 PM

I think a strictly mob oriented bio should be considered by NYM, on Paul Castellano. So much credence is given to his personal shortcomings that his business prowess and lesser recognized underbelly get lossed in the sauce. I believe he is of interest. Maybe a fireside chat vid in the future??? (I know they have to let the Gambinos breath for awhile)

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/08/20 06:47 AM

Anthony Romano- also known as Allie Boy, Arnold Romano. Born in 1914. Lived in Lower Eastside. Arrests for narcotics, extortion, carrying a firearm in city limits, destruction of property. Frequented Rex Tavern of Manhattan, Brooklyn, New Jersey, and Miami. Associated with the 107th street crew before joining up with Joe Biondo crew. Made in the 1950s. Known associates, Joe Biondo, Stephen Armone, Joe Armone, Joe N. Gallo, Patrick Russo of Chicago, Al Criscuolo, Anthony Criscuolo, Joe D'Ercole, Anthony Strollo, Michael Genovese, Cassandros Bonasera, Cosmo Frasca, Natale Evola, Nunzio Romano (relative), Eugene Tramaglino, Victor Tramaglino, and John Ormento. Little info on him, had a beef with Joe N. Gallo, on the dead by 1975 list.

Of the D'Alessio brothers, John became a capo in the Gambino family and was heavy in the drug trade till Big Paul gave a warning while taking the money. John passed away in 94, while Alex passed away in the 2000s, Michael passed away in the early 1970s and there is some debate if Micheal was made or not. There is some evidence that their father Michael was an early Gambino member. Dominick another brother was not made and was a lawyer considered an in house counsel for his brothers and Uncle Alexander DiBrizzi. They lived on Staten Island, John Taking over DiBrizzi businesses and territories when DiBrizzi retired to Mississippi. They Knew Lucky Luciano, Anthony Strollo, Mangano brothers, Anastasia brothers, Joe Lanza, and Joe Riccobono. John D'Alessio is said to have been a rival to the Riccobonos, First with Joe, and Later in the 70s and 80s with John Riccobono. John D'Alessio was displeased that Scotto got more perks than him and was viewed more favorably by Paul Castellano. John is said to have been forced in retirement by Castellano after Alex DeBrizzi passed away in 1980. The D'Alessio controlled most of Staten Island while Riccobono controlled the rest with influence in Brooklyn and New Jersey. Alexander D'Alessio was active till after John passed away and the Gottis were in power, he was no fan of John or Peter, and made a remark about Junior.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/08/20 01:34 PM

Interesting. Its important to see the connection and succession wiithin a Family.

One observation: Paul Castellano made a mistake many of the Sicilian bosses do. He leverage his power to keep people down. He could have created an alley, that maybe would have saved his life, instead, he put them on the shelf. There is always crews in a large family that get lossed in the sauce, the prudent move is to put some money on the street, cultivate good will and make allies.
Posted By: Mustard

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/08/20 08:31 PM

Fantastic. I just have one more batch of names then I'll stop being a pain in the arse lol

Olympio "Lilo" Garofalo
Joe" The Wop" Gennaro
Joseph "Gus" Colozzo
Anthony Rizzo
Vicent "Jimmy the Blonde" Corrao
Edward "Eddie Ottawa" Consalvo
Michael " Mike Talley" Caiazza

If not those guys, anyone that interests you during this time that you do have info on, would be appreciated. From there we can further analyze this crew
Posted By: Mustard

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/08/20 08:32 PM

Mike tally was in neils crew. Got shelved would love more info on who was in his crew ?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/09/20 12:45 AM

Any info on:
Michael "Mike Talley" Caiazza
Diego "Papa Dave" Amodeo
Joseph "Gus" Colozzo
Lilo Garofalo
Salvatore "Toto" Settimo

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/11/20 09:39 AM

Diego Amodeo- Papa Dave. Born in Palermo Sicily in 1893. Moved to the states. Brother in law to Frank Scalise. A bootlegger, gambler, and involved in the garbage business. Made in the late 1920s. Lived in the Bronx. Long time soldier in the Scalise crew. Ran a butcher shop where a few victims disappeared. Inherited some businesses from Scalise after Frank was killed. Became Capo when Arthur Leo passed away in 1965. Stepped down in 1974, with Napolitano taking over. Associates, the Scalises, the Scarpullas, the Gambinos, Nino Gaggi, Arthur Leo, Tony Scotto, Frank Piccolo, Anthony Napolitano, Louis Ricco, Anthony Sedotto, Joe Lucchese, Neil Migliore, Tony Salerno, Frank Profaci, and Char Luciano. Passes away in 1984.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/12/20 07:51 AM

Michael Caiazza- known as Mike Talley. Born in 1912. Lived on Richmond Staten Island. Frequented Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. Made in the 1950s, his sponsor was Dellacroce. Into counterfeiting until Albert Anastasia gave him an ultimatum, stop or die, ran a dice game on 3rd Avenue until being promoted to Capo and passed it on to Ettore DeCurtis. Involved in hijacking, and vending machines. Owned bakeries on 3rd Avenue in Brooklyn. Associates, the Dellacroces, Ettore and Guido DeCurtis, Tommy Rava, Anthony Rizzo, the Faticos, Anthony Ruggiano, Stefano Cannone, Paul Vario, Salvatore Aurello, Dominick Napolitano, Nick Forlano, and Vincent Russo. He was promoted over Dellacroce crew in 1965, and was demoted in 1985 by Dellacroce for consulting with Castellano on who should replace him. Joe LaForte Sr replaced him. Members in his crew during those years part of them that are confirmed made, Ettore and Guido DeCurtis, Mike Cirelli ( Ravenite tape were done in his former apartment), Giacomo Morelli, Carmine Dellacroce, Frank and Joe Barranca, Ed Consalv(Transferred into the crew), Vincent Yacono Sr, Joe Bisogno, Mike Catalano, and William Cottone(Transferred into the crew). Believed to have tipped off the feds to Cirelli's apartment where Gotti and company had their talks. Passed away in 1994.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/12/20 08:16 AM

Edward Consalvo- known as Eddie Ottawa and Rocco. Born in 1920. Lived in Manhattan. Made in the mid 1950s, was a member of Squillante crew, then remained in Gennaro crew until Giuseppe died in 1968, and was transferred to Mike Talley crew. Had connections to Ottawa and Montreal, hence the nickname Eddie Ottawa. Associates, Vincent Squillante, Joe Gennaro, Michael Caiazza, John and Giacomo Scalise,
Phil Attardi, Jimmy Amato, Mike Consalvo, Paul Volpe of Toronto, John Papalia of Hamilton, and Joe Cotroni of Montreal.Suspended sentence for untaxed alchohol. Suspected in small scale narcotics, bookmaking, grand larceny. Known as a smooth driver. Related to the Bonannos Consalvos, may be related to Carmine and Frank Consalvo. Moved to Richmond Staten Island and transferred into Michael Caiazza crew. Died in 1981.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 12/13/20 06:26 PM

@Giacomo_Vacari
Anything on FRANCESCO ALIVENTI, ANTHONY COPPOLA, GIOSUE MELI, ARTHUR TORTARELLO or PETER SAVIO???

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/11/22 11:33 PM

Fat Andy Ruggiano' son Anthony spoke about after the Anastasia hit, his loyalist (led by Tommy Rava and Neil Dellacroce) were going to have a peace meeting at Grand Central Station. But they were gonna hit Don Carlo there. The wily Gambino didn't show up but sent a proxy instead. Anthony said his father only spoke of the person who showed up as "The Old Man" or the "Old Timer". The question is, Do anyone know who this could've been???

My guess would be someone who was apart of the establishment of the Family. It had to be someone with that level of respect to assure them of their safety under Gambino.

I say either "Toto Chirico" Chiri or Joe "The Peasant" Traina.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/12/22 08:50 AM

Either is a good pick, but with what we know about both and Giuseppe Traina had served as a peacekeeper numerous times. I'll put my money on it being Traina, that is a guy who could have been boss if he wanted it, he even turned down the underboss position twice for two different bosses and remained a capo.

Salvatore Settimo- known as Toto, Sam, and Sal. Born in Palermo Sicily in 1900. Came to the United States in 1923, sources say 1913, but some of his cohorts didn't show up until after 1920, so 1923 is the most accurate date cor his arrival. Lived in Little Italy and LES. Made during the castellammare war. Related to Salvatore and Carlo Calagna, Mimi Limandri. Arrested for Concealed weapon, counterfeiting, forgery. Moved to Brooklyn and hooked up with the Gambino brothers. Worked at Carrol Paper Products which was owned by Carlo Gambino. Involved in Narcotics, a master Forger and counterfeiter. Carlo and Paolo personal document maker. Moved to Long Island. Numerous associates, Carlo and Paolo Gambino, Steve Armone, Carmine Locascio, Tommy and Pat Eboli, Carmine Galante, Michael Genovese (New York), and Paul Vario. Big in the Narcotics trade, had strong connections to Sicily. Not a heavy, great earner. Died in 1975.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/12/22 08:58 AM

Peter Savio- known. As per born in 1888. Made in Chicago, relocated to New York. Related to the Doto family. Was a bookmaker, close confidant of Albert Anastasia. Died in 1975.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/12/22 04:34 PM

Great info, guys! I'll add a personal note:

I spent some of my formative years in the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn in the Fifties. I lived a block away from the candy store that had been Midnight Rose's, the HQ of Murder Inc. I actually worked in that candy store after school hours, but neither I nor the owners were aware of its grim history. Like most people in the pre-Valachi hearings era, we were unaware that there was a "National Syndicate of Organized Crime." But we knew about Anastasia. The newspapers attributed the murder of Arnold Schuster in 1952 to Albert A--probably what he intended--and people didn't feel safe in their homes (probably also what he intended). And, after "On the Waterfront" (1954), Tough Tony Anastasio, his brother, became a high-profile character throughout NY and NJ. One of my uncles, a reporter for the NY Post, tried to interview Tough Tony but was...uh...rebuffed.
Posted By: jace

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/12/22 04:54 PM

Fat Andy Ruggiano' son Anthony spoke about after the Anastasia hit, his loyalist (led by Tommy Rava and Neil Dellacroce) were going to have a peace meeting at Grand Central Station. But they were gonna hit Don Carlo there. The wily Gambino didn't show up but sent a proxy instead. Anthony said his father only spoke of the person who showed up as "The Old Man" or the "Old Timer". The question is, Do anyone know who this could've been???

My guess would be someone who was apart of the establishment of the Family. It had to be someone with that level of respect to assure them of their safety under Gambino.

I don't take much of what Ruggiano . has to say as truth. Please don't take it personal, I just find his stories a bit tough to believe, especially that one. I think if they were out to kill Gambino and Dellacroce, they would have done it another time. Nothing ever happened, and thee sending of someone else would have been seen as an insult.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/12/22 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jace

I don't take much of what Ruggiano . has to say as truth. Please don't take it personal, I just find his stories a bit tough to believe, especially that one. I think if they were out to kill Gambino and Dellacroce, they would have done it another time. Nothing ever happened, and thee sending of someone else would have been seen as an insult.

Personally I do believe it happened. Whether or not he added extra about them plotting on clipping Carlo is another thing. I think you underestimate the chess moves of these people. Sammy the Bull said "Bosses are the elites of the bad guys".
It wouldn't be seen as an insult if you send the right person. In real life, there are things that books/articles/FBI files cannot account for. And also some of the lesser known people carried more weight then we realize. If I send a guy who is a old timer (in the eyes of Rava and Dellacroce it would have to be someone who was from the 20s and 30s) that you respect to mediate, you'll be more receptive. And you're still talking about Murdur Inc. Disciples.
The scenario is very plausible.
Posted By: TonyBombassolo

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/12/22 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by chin_gigante

SM: Wait a minute! We appointed him provisionally and, then, later the "borgata" made him. Carlo Gambino was made by the "borgata", not by the Commission.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=127672&search=%22Gambino%22_and+%22consigliere%22#relPageId=84&tab=page

Does Maggadino come off as anything other than a bitter, jealous piece of shit anywhere? I think Bonanno was a bit of a pompous ass when he constantly complained about Maggadino being jealous of him, but everything I've seen or read supports JB.

I've been revisting all the singularly sourced information in the Chicago informant stuff and its pretty obvious that anything thats uncorroborated (like Maggadino's constant bitching here) is suspect. He is constantly overstating his own importance.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/13/22 02:55 PM

Frank Aliventi- Known as Frankie Fish born in 1903. Lived in Brooklyn. Worked in the fish market as a teen, accused of theft of a crate of fish. Hooked up with Frankie Yale, and Michele Abbatemarco. Detained but released while Cosmo Franco was arrested for narcotics. Married Michele Abbatemarco widow after he was killed. Yale was killed, his crew was split up between the families, with him joining the Gambino family.
Made during the Castellammare war, served as a bodyguard to Stefano Ferringo. Little is known about him after Ferringo was killed in 1930. Identified as a member of Carmine Lombardozzi crew, known for burglary, extortion, and labor strikes. Had a role on the docks, but no union documentation, seems to hang around the docks. Known associates, the Franco brothers, Anastasia brothers, Carmine Lombardozzi, Pat Corbi (Baltimore), Anthony Carafano, Frank Gagliardi, Mario Gargano, Carmelo LiConte, Vincent Crisalli, and Giovanni Giustra. Sponsored Charles LiConte son of Carmelo into the Gambino family. Died in 1970.

Giosue Meli- Known as Cook. Born in 1890. Emigrated to US in 1910s. Very little is known about him. Lived in Manhattan and ran a restaurant. Known as a bookie. Related to the Amodeo and Scarpulla families. Was in attendance at Tommy Gambino wedding. Served in Garofalo crew. Died in 1973.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/13/22 03:12 PM

Finally found Anthony Vanella, sorry for the wait.

Anthony Vanella- Known as Tony The Trucker, Big Tony. Born in NYC 1894, and lived in Manhattan. Guy spent most of his time locked up, but when he was not, he was a street guy. Involved in Bootlegging, hijacking liquor trucks, armed robbery numerous parole violations which had in going in and out of prison for 30+ years. Known associates Joe Biondo, Stefano Armone, Dominic Acuri, Joe Lanza, Anthony Strollo, Thomas Greco, Pat Conte, and Joe Riccobono. After his release in 1946, he never served time again, moved to Staten Island in 1947 and was with Joe Riccobono crew. Involved in the garment industry after his release. Moved to Queens sometime in the 1960s, and died in 1971.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/14/22 08:06 AM

Anthony Coppola- Known as Cappy. Born 1908. Associated with the 107th street gang in the Lucchese crime family. On record with Joseph Marone and early member of the Lucchese crime family. Marone introduces Coppola to Al Criscuolo sister. Part of a burglary crew, and involved in auto theft. 1940s Al Criscuolo is transferred to the Genovese family, and Anthony Coppola is transferred to Gambino family on recorded with Anthony Granza a soldier in Frank Scalise crew. This is said to have been done do to a dispute with Tommy Lucchese. Both Criscuolo and Coppola would be made a decade later. 1940s was a small time bookie, also involved in bars and adult clubs with Anthony Granza. Related to the Criscuolo and Mauro families. Dated acress Liz Renay. Known associates, Al and Larry Criscuolo, Joseph Marone, Frank Liverosi, Capra family, Dentico brothers, Joe N. Gallo, Joe Scalise, Eduardo Costigalia, Eugene Catena, Anastasia brothers, the Squillante brothers, and Anthony Napolitano. Made on 1952. Became Anastasia driver, bodyguard and personal bank in 1955. Lived in the Bronx and New Jersey from 1955 to 1958, while in New Jersey he lived with Al Criscuolo and his family, and at Albert Anastasia mansion in New Jersey. Anastasia owned Coppola a lot of money that was never paid back. Joe N. Gallo made the approach on Coppola, and Cappy dropped double A off at the barber shop and never returned. Many say he was killed in 1960, but it is most likely he survived thanks to Joe N. Gallo, Frank Marone, and Al Criscuolo as last confirmed sighting of him involved in the family was a meeting in Connecticut in 1966, with Nunzio Squillante, Frank Piccolo, and Anthony Napolitano. Said to have setup a meeting with Vincent Squillante but never showed, and Squillante was killed at the meeting. Faded away after Albert Anastasia was killed and very little is known about him including his death.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/16/22 01:41 AM

Is there any truth to NICK GENTILE being apart of this Family???
Posted By: Woofinator

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/16/22 09:06 AM

Yes, Gentile transfered from Pittsburgh to the Mangano Family in 1934 in order to get out of trouble.

You can read about it in this article about Gentile:

https://books.google.com/books?id=WpsCEAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Google Books has blocked selected pages of this article, but you should be able to read the part where Gentile joins Mangano's Family if you scroll down to page 23 (at least I was able to).
Posted By: southshorekid

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/16/22 12:46 PM

Nicholas (Nicky) Russo was almost certainly made before 1957. I’m not sure which faction he was with. Born in 1910, Nicky ran a small crew of made guys in Trenton NJ for the Gambinos for decades. He was the driver and backup shooter for the Alfredo Santantonio hit in Brooklyn in 1963. He was in the group that did about 2 years in 1970 on contempt charges for refusing to cooperate with the NJ state commission on organized crime. Others in that group included Bobby Manna, Nicky Scarfo, and Jerry Catena. His son was killed and he was wounded in a shootout with a Gambino associate in 1979. Participated in the murder of Johnny Keys in 1980. Got permission from Paul Castellano to avenge his son. The Philly family did the work as a favor in 1981. He was the go-between for Scarfo and Castellano (later Gotti) until his death from natural causes in the mid-80s.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/20/22 09:12 AM

Arthur Tortorella- Known as Artie Todd. Born in 1913. Peter Tortorella- Known as Little Toto. Born in 1915. Known associates- Anastasia brothers, Scotto brothers, Dellacroce brothers, Armand Rava, Eppolito brothers, Guglielmini brothers, Carmine Lombardozzi, Sciacca brothers, Falco brothers, Christopher Furnari, James Lucchese, Frank Fusco, Carmine Persico, Gallo brothers, Salvatore Apuzzo, Pat Eboli, Anthony Carfano, James Angelina, Nick Ratenni, Salvatore Celambrino, Carmelo Coppolino, and Angelo Ioele. They came up in Tony Anastasio crew and were made in the 1950s. They were known as top Anastasia enforcers. They were involved in strong arm tactics, murder, and extortion together. Apart, Arthur was involved in stolen goods, and narcotics, while Peter did well in Gambling even hooking up with James Angelina crew and get into bookmaking. Both were with the longshoremen in Brooklyn. They were spared and continued to work for the family after Albert Anastasia was killed. Arthur would be called to the carpet in the early 1970s in dealing with drugs, two versions, 1) Carlo Gambino shelved him. 2) Dellacroce sat for him and won the argument and Arthur would remain a member in good standing until he died in 1980. Peter would generate a small fortune especially branching into Atlantic City when gambling became legal. He would be active in the family until John Gotti took over, and retire as he did not wish to go to the Ravanite. Story goes that each Christmas after he would send a dollar to each administration member. Peter died in the early 1990s.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/20/22 09:24 AM

Nick Gentile was was part of the Kansas crime family, then went to the Cleveland family until he was marked for dead where he joined the Pittsburgh family where he got into major trouble, then joined the Gambino family. Often cited as being part of Dallas and Los Angeles crime family, but the last American crime family he was with was the New Orleans crime family, this causes resentment and the Marcello brothers challenged leadership and eventually won after Gentile fled to Scily. While in the States and after he joined the Gambino family, he was one of the mouthpieces for the Commission.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/20/22 11:43 AM

Artie and Petey Tortorello, aka; Artie and Petey Todd, were Brooklyn-based guys who were both directly under capo Carmine Lombardozzi for decades. In fact "Artie Todd" was largely considered Carmine's righthand man.

He and Carmine were deeply enmeshed in stock thefts, and big money stock manipulation fraud rackets (boiler rooms) long before that phrase became common knowledge and terminology.

Both became inducted members under Lombardozzi's sponsorship and were placed directly in his crew. The Tortorello brothers were both used as strong-arm guys when required, but Artie had the bigger name. Petey mostly remained lower keyed and subordinate to his older brother.

These fellas hung around their "Lombardozzi regime" associates 90% of the time, and did not affiliate much with any guys outside of Brooklyn. Among their closer associates were such Gambino/Anastasia stalwarts as; Sabato (Little Sammy) Muro, John Lombardozzi, George (Blue Eyes) Martinelli, Accursio (Swifty) Marinelli, and many Jewish hoodlums and schemers under their flag who helped facilitate stock and business schemes.

They were into shylocking, strong-arm, extortion and shakedowns, stock thefts and fraud, business infiltration, and other types of theft schemes. Artie had a very long criminal record for these types of offenses. But gambling, narcotics, and other types of rackets were never really their thing.

Artie Tortorello's fortunes largely rose and fell in league with Carmine's. He was not the sharpest pencil in the box.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 02/26/22 09:10 PM

Mob lore has William "Billy Batts " Bentvena connected to John Gotti but Gotti was a pup when he was on the street and Batts was in the can for the entirety of the 60's. My question is, who (in reality) was gonna kick up dust when he went missing? Does anyone know about him in the 50's and what crew he was associated with?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 03/07/22 09:30 PM

Does anyone know what Big Paul Castellano was involved in during the early 50's and who were the members of his crew?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 04/27/22 08:05 PM

Does anyone know of the history of the Mob in Staten Island??? I know Tommy Bilotti and his mentors AL DeBrizzi and the D'Alessio Brothers operated there but I cannot uncover the Staten Island origins. I think both Staten and Long Island ( to a lesser extend) have been under examined histories in the New York Narrative.

Was it always Mangano/Gambino territory???

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 04/27/22 08:23 PM

Since at least the 1950s Staten Island has mostly been dominated by members of there Anastasia/Gambino and Profaci/Colombo families.

In recent years other crews such as the Genovese, Lucchese, and DeCavalcante have all had a presence. Sam the Plumbers crew mostly because of the close proximity between their home base in NJ and the Outer Bridge Crossing into Staten Island (only a few miles apart).
Posted By: GangstersInc

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 04/29/22 08:41 AM

A Funeral in Brooklyn

By Thom L. Jones for Gangsters Inc.

Historians describe the Mafia underworld of Gotham as fraught with complexities, uncertainties, frustrations and terrors. (1)

In 1951, there were 243 recorded homicides in the city of New York (2).

One of them was Philip Mangano. What makes his violent death memorable are his family ties, both genealogical and criminal. His brother, Vincent, was the boss of what is today referred to as The Gambino Family. Part of the Mafia of America. Although never confirmed, some sources claim Philip was his brother’s underboss, although most Mafia researchers maintain this was a man called Albert Anastasia and that Philip was consigliere, or counsellor to his brother. Either or. We don’t really know.

Entire story on: https://gangstersinc.org/blog/a-funeral-in-brooklyn
Posted By: JackieAprile

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 04/30/22 10:25 AM

When did Carlo become Consigliere for Anastasia?

And was Big Paul a Captain under Anastasia or only elevated after Carlo took over? He came to Applachin
Posted By: JackieAprile

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 - 04/30/22 10:26 AM

Does anyone know what Big Paul Castellano was involved in during the early 50's and who were the members of his crew?

He had his poultry business and was a Capo by 1957. I believe he took over a crew in the mid 1950s. All I know of his crew is that a lot of them were related, cousins and such, to him, and they were mostly around his age, with Gaggi being one of the younger members.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET