Home

Joey Merlino turkey giveaways

Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Joey Merlino turkey giveaways - 05/24/20 11:51 PM

I was watching New Jack City today and there's a scene where Wesley Snipes character, a drug lord, gives away thanksgiving turkeys to the poor.

Is that where Joey got the idea?

The movie was from 1991 for reference.

I know a lot of black gangsters are fans of New Jack City and Scarface. Looks like Joey and the other young Turks might've been too going by that scene. Then there's the picture of him and Meek Mill.

Another piece of the puzzle is solved!
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: Joey Merlino turkey giveaways - 05/25/20 12:21 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Merlino was doing it before 1990. I am sure other gangsters did the same, to win the loyalty of the neighborhood people.
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: Joey Merlino turkey giveaways - 05/25/20 01:45 PM

i doubt it was inspired by new jack or vice versa. the earliest i've seen someone doing that was capone during the depression, and it became a thing lots of gangsters of all races did.
Posted By: mchang93

Re: Joey Merlino turkey giveaways - 05/25/20 01:58 PM

Neighborhood bosses have been doing this or forms of charity like this going back to depression/prohibition days
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: Joey Merlino turkey giveaways - 05/25/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by RollinBones
i doubt it was inspired by new jack or vice versa. the earliest i've seen someone doing that was capone during the depression, and it became a thing lots of gangsters of all races did.

Originally Posted by mchang93
Neighborhood bosses have been doing this or forms of charity like this going back to depression/prohibition days

Yes, it goes back to (at least) Capone, if not earlier. If someone in your neighborhood gives you turkeys for the holidays, who are you going to be loyal to? The guy who gives you a turkey, or the guy who gives you a ticket?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET