Home

Willie Moretti

Posted By: MolochioInduced

Willie Moretti - 04/26/20 10:29 AM

Curious about the man. Most have heard about the Sinatra and Tommy Dorsey story.

I think he was Underboss of Genovese as well. I know that he was from Bari. Which up until Sacra Corona Unita, wasn’t really acknowledged in Southern Italy. Any other wiseguys of prominence or not from Bari.

Sollecito with Rizzuto is another one I can think of, thanks.

Re: Willie Moretti - 04/26/20 10:31 AM

I knew a guy with family in Chicago, they all were from Bari, last name Romano. Apparently, father and son in Chicago are connected, maybe made??

Not sure about on the other side.
Posted By: streetbossliborio

Re: Willie Moretti - 04/27/20 01:39 AM

He was under for Costello not Genovese if I’m correct. His whacking was to weaken Costello under the guise of being a mercy killing as moretti was crazy with syphillis or something. Moretti was a big hitter and his whacking opened up Costello a bit more to the wolves which eventually came.

Re: Willie Moretti - 04/27/20 04:33 AM

I meant to say the Genovese Family I forget to do that a lot lol, I apologize. I think the story goes, that Dean Martin is the one who set him up. Was suppose to meet Moretti for lunch, calls and cancel, right after he hangs up he gets murdered.

Why was Costello so hated?

Galante blew up his gravestone, is it because he was so close to Luciano?

Re: Willie Moretti - 04/28/20 02:12 AM

Dean Martin set willie moretti up?!!

Re: Willie Moretti - 04/28/20 02:15 AM

I think rather Genovese had aggressively strong backing more than Costello being hated.

Galante looking to make a statement on his release and blowing up the grave of the prime minister is a brash move. Can’t remember the ins and outs of why he hated him and what their beef was over. Galante done the political hit in the 40s for Genovese so maybe they were close also..?
Posted By: Zavattoni

Re: Willie Moretti - 04/28/20 02:20 AM

Moretti was powerful; Had a crew of killers in Jersey. Costello would have not been shot at if Willie Moretti was still around.

Re: Willie Moretti - 04/28/20 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by streetbossliborio
Dean Martin set willie moretti up?!!

I think it was more someone told him to say he couldn’t make it. They were afraid that Moretti might say something. His brain was rotting from the syphilis, dementia was kicking in or something. Dino was his friend, and was told to schedule lunch and then cancel last minute. He knew what would happen if he didn’t, I don’t know who, maybe Genovese told him, if that’s how it happened.

All those guys tight with Luciano had influence over Sinatra and Dino. Those two were a racket in their own right.
Originally Posted by streetbossliborio
I think rather Genovese had aggressively strong backing more than Costello being hated.

Galante looking to make a statement on his release and blowing up the grave of the prime minister is a brash move. Can’t remember the ins and outs of why he hated him and what their beef was over. Galante done the political hit in the 40s for Genovese so maybe they were close also..?

Thanks!
I’ve always been curious as to why. He was in his 60’s when he’s released??and takes over with the Zips he must of been nuts to be around. Similar to how they talk about Leggio.

Re: Willie Moretti - 04/28/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Zavattoni
Moretti was powerful; Had a crew of killers in Jersey. Costello would have not been shot at if Willie Moretti was still around.

Thanks! I didn’t know he was so influential, any other influential mobsters from Bari?
Posted By: olivant

Re: Willie Moretti - 04/28/20 03:44 AM

Why oh why didn't Costello turn Moretti loose on Genovese? ... and later why didn't he turn Anastasia loose on Genovese?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET