Home

Genovese power shift post Luciano

Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Genovese power shift post Luciano - 12/31/19 04:28 AM

It seems like after Luciano left there were less and less Sicilians in the family. Is this just a coincidence? Harlem and the Bronx had a lot of southern Italians and that area was the breeding ground for the top brass of the Genovese family so I wonder why they might not have had as many mobsters of Sicilian heritage at the top of their family. The American mafia really started out being dominated by Sicilians and southern Calabrese(More by Sicilians though) I believe. There were just as many Neapolitans too but they had a meaningless rivalry going on for a long time.
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 12/31/19 05:21 AM

Are you talking about Sicilians in the administration after Luciano or Sicilians being made in later years?

Generally the Genovese have always had a wider range of non Sicilians compared to other families and that goes back even before Luciano took over.

One would have to look at each members background as proof but I would think the ratio between Sicilians and other Italian ancestries in the family stayed somewhat consistent from ‘31 at least until the books were closed in ‘57. The majority of members from ‘31 were probably still alive and active as of ‘57. I’m guessing maybe 80% were still around.

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/02/20 05:36 PM

Administration after Luciano is what I am talking about.
Posted By: streetbossliborio

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/03/20 02:17 AM

I suppose Luciano main thing was about business coming first and the inclusion of all Italians into LCN and none of the moustache Pete Sicilian BS. And about working with other ethnicities. So non Sicilians getting into power was natural?
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/03/20 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by streetbossliborio
I suppose Luciano main thing was about business coming first and the inclusion of all Italians into LCN and none of the moustache Pete Sicilian BS. And about working with other ethnicities. So non Sicilians getting into power was natural?

Yeah Genovese is more similar to Chicago Outfit.
Posted By: streetbossliborio

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/03/20 06:12 AM

Never considered the similarity between the two but yeah I agree Hollander. Both families were ruthless too. And big earners
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/03/20 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by streetbossliborio
Never considered the similarity between the two but yeah I agree Hollander. Both families were ruthless too. And big earners

When Luciano and Lansky visited Paul Ricca in Chicago they were impressed how they ran things.
Posted By: blueracing347

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/03/20 02:13 PM

There they are.

Description: Ricca Luciano Lansky
Attached picture lucianolansky.gif

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/03/20 02:51 PM

Great picture! I have seen it before but never noticed Ricca in it.

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/04/20 03:17 PM

The Gambinos have traditionally had a lot of Sicilians in particular at the top of their family. People of Calabrese origin have been near the top too. Like Anastasia and Joe N Gallo. But not too many people north of the far south of Italy.
Posted By: Alfa Romeo

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/10/20 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Revis_Knicks
It seems like after Luciano left there were less and less Sicilians in the family. Is this just a coincidence? Harlem and the Bronx had a lot of southern Italians and that area was the breeding ground for the top brass of the Genovese family so I wonder why they might not have had as many mobsters of Sicilian heritage at the top of their family. The American mafia really started out being dominated by Sicilians and southern Calabrese(More by Sicilians though) I believe. There were just as many Neapolitans too but they had a meaningless rivalry going on for a long time.

When you say "after Luciano left", do you mean exile from America, or after that when he and Costello lost control of the family?
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/10/20 12:28 PM

The Camorra-Mafia war will answer your question as the Camorra lost, many members who remained in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut were free, joined up with the Genovese and Lucchese crime families. T
Posted By: MolochioInduced

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/10/20 04:23 PM

The 5 Point Gang, was lead by Paul Kelly, real name was Paolo Vaccarelli. He was a camorristo, and Luciano, Torrio and Al Capone were members prior to forming Cosa Nostra. Vaccarelli, Genovese and Capone are all Neapolitan.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Genovese power shift post Luciano - 01/10/20 08:28 PM

I doubt Luciano cared about lineage. The only reason he probably even proposed that members at least be Italian was to appease other bosses. He seemed to be business first and willing to work with anyone. He did however have a deep prejudice and intolerance toward people who lost him money.

The Genovese are similar to what the Outfit was at their peak, especially where street bosses and insulation between the boss and rackets were concerned.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET