Home

Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"?

Posted By: JackieAprile

Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? - 12/14/19 10:21 AM

If so, who was the Captain of the crew? Was it actually Joey or was it his brother Larry? Or were the bunch of them just Soldiers?

Also, what was Joey's ultimate aim? Was he trying to establish himself as a Boss, take over the Profaci Family, or establish a sixth family run by him or what?
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? - 12/14/19 01:18 PM

Well remember that soldiers or even associates can have their own crews.
Larry Gallo and Joey Gallo were both made members of what was then the Profaci Family along with supporters such as Carmine Persico and John "Mooney" Cutrone. Larry was considered to be the crew leader. But at the time of the troubles, these four men (and who ever else was "made" ) were officially soldiers, not captains. I've read that they officially reported up to Frankie Abbartemarco, but also had understandings and up until then good relations with captains Johnny Oddo and Harry Fontana.

The Gallo crew was very large and was allegedly distinctive for the time for having a large number of non-Italian associates, who of course would not have eligible for formal induction.
I think the initial goal of the Gallos was just to get more money and/or keep more of what they earned instead of having to pass it up in tribute. Joey may have had more revolutionary ideas but ultimately it was Larry who ran things.
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? - 12/14/19 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lilo
Well remember that soldiers or even associates can have their own crews.
Larry Gallo and Joey Gallo were both made members of what was then the Profaci Family along with supporters such as Carmine Persico and John "Mooney" Cutrone. Larry was considered to be the crew leader. But at the time of the troubles, these four men (and who ever else was "made" ) were officially soldiers, not captains. I've read that they officially reported up to Frankie Abbartemarco, but also had understandings and up until then good relations with captains Johnny Oddo and Harry Fontana.

The Gallo crew was very large and was allegedly distinctive for the time for having a large number of non-Italian associates, who of course would not have eligible for formal induction.
I think the initial goal of the Gallos was just to get more money and/or keep more of what they earned instead of having to pass it up in tribute. Joey may have had more revolutionary ideas but ultimately it was Larry who ran things.

. You hit it on the head. You can still have a crew without it being an official crew of a mob family with a captain running it. Obviously one of the most famous crews was the a Demeo Crew. Roy was the leader but never rode past the rank of soldier. The rest were just associates BUT they were bigtime money earners and all were bigtime killers
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? - 12/14/19 03:07 PM

Profaci ordered gallo brothers to kill Abbatemarco in 1959 and the boss should give to Joey the profitable loansharking racket of Abbatemarco but the boss didnt and Gallo start the war.
Apart him,larry and mariani that was killed in 1963 nobody was made. Cutrone wasnt made in fact was killed because after the other gallo crew italian members was made he decided to stay in his own and was killed in 1978.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? - 12/14/19 06:16 PM

Per the DiMatteo book and the other sources I've seen, Cutrone was indeed made. DiMatteo says of Cutrone that:

"..I didn't really know much about him, just that he was made by Profaci in the early 1950s, long before Larry or Joey got their buttons. I didn't like him. Nobody liked him. My father wanted to kill him. It was all I heard about for what seemed like years, how much he wanted to kill that ******** Mooney. ...Mooney , in the meantime, continued to breathe and annoy everyone. He was made, and therefore whackproof.

Mooney was a small man with a sour puss and a nasty disposition. For some reason Larry liked him. That, and how the guy got made in the first place, are two unsolved mysteries. An old time Profaci guy might know, but there aren't many of them left. The instant that Mooney's magic shield began to lower, the contract went out on him, and seven guys raised their hands to volunteer for the job.
.."
Posted By: Zavattoni

Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? - 12/14/19 08:56 PM

How big was Frank Abbatemarco's crew?

Didn't he have a crew seperate from the Gallo gang?
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? - 12/15/19 10:48 AM

Abbatemarco crew was big. By the time of his death, he had 8 to 9 soldiers, over 100 associates, had a huge policy game going, labor racketeering, carpenter union, burglary, hijacking, loan sharking, gambling, counterfeit (late 1940s to early 1950s), narcotics on a small scale, frauds, and then there are joint family operations. Gallo crew was his main crew as many of his soldiers were getting up there in age or dying out and needed new blood. Tony Abbatemarco hanged out with the Gallo brothers and so it was easier to remain close to that crew. He did not just have the Gallo brothers crew.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET