Home

What old time had Michael Corleone potential?

Posted By: Revis_Knicks

What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/23/19 12:04 AM

What old school mafiosi could have reached the same heights as Michael Corleone’s success? I say Gambino or Costello. Michael was a billionaire in the movie or at least close to it and he moved on to legitimize almost all of his businesses. I think he achieved what many of the old timers dreamed of achieving themselves. Either that or they dreamed of seeing their kids take their fortune and turn it into an even bigger empire(much like Michael did with his family’s fortune).
Posted By: azguy

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/23/19 03:25 AM

How much was 'fat" Tony worth when he died ? I bet as much as anyone
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/23/19 03:40 AM

The end of 2 seems to imply that Michael burned down an empire with his paranoia. Then in 3 he's a benevolent rich guy trying to buy his way into heaven. So, I suppose it depends on which storyline you choose. This is why so many people hated 3. It doesn't even seem like it's Michael Corleone. I believe Michael was loosely based on both Bonanno and Genovese.
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/23/19 03:56 AM

Joe Profaci. He was a multi millionaire in just legitimate business alone.
Posted By: thebigfella

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/23/19 12:18 PM

I never got the impression that he tried to burn down an empire, if your a fan of the movies then you must read the books....they explain a lot. After movie 2 he insulated himself even more, sort of like Barney from the Genovese
Posted By: FrankValenti

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/23/19 04:37 PM

Joe Todaro is a blue collar Michael Corleone.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/23/19 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by FrankValenti
Joe Todaro is a blue collar Michael Corleone.

I never heard of him but I will do my research. Thanks.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/23/19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by OakAsFan
The end of 2 seems to imply that Michael burned down an empire with his paranoia. Then in 3 he's a benevolent rich guy trying to buy his way into heaven. So, I suppose it depends on which storyline you choose. This is why so many people hated 3. It doesn't even seem like it's Michael Corleone. I believe Michael was loosely based on both Bonanno and Genovese.

I don’t think he burned down an empire. I think he burned bridges between him and people that he loved which is why he looks so broken at the end. But he realizes that this is the price he is paying to become even more rich and powerful than he already is. That’s my take. The whole movie it’s almost like he’s chasing the ghost of his father. He really just wants to be as respected as Vito once was.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/23/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by azguy
How much was 'fat" Tony worth when he died ? I bet as much as anyone

I am not quite sure but it’s safe to assume a lot. When mafiosi die, a lot of those businesses and rackets don’t stay with their estate though. I believe the family has to live off the cash that they were left with as well as legitimate businesses that the mob family lets them keep. Idk what the case was for Salerno but I’m sure his family was completely fine after he passed. Smart business mind. Meyer lansky for example, died with very little money according to his family. Contrary to what many believe about Lansky, I don’t think he was ever close to being a billionaire at any point.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/24/19 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by thebigfella
I never got the impression that he tried to burn down an empire, if your a fan of the movies then you must read the books....they explain a lot. After movie 2 he insulated himself even more, sort of like Barney from the Genovese

I tried. The book was a huge disappointment to me. Coppola himself said he had to toss out about half the book to put the screenplay together. Now are you saying the sequel books written by people other than Puzo are better than The Godfather? If so I might give them a look.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/24/19 09:40 PM

I tried. The book was a huge disappointment to me. Coppola himself said he had to toss out about half the book to put the screenplay together. Now are you saying the sequel books written by people other than Puzo are better than The Godfather? If so I might give them a look.

I was not a big fan of the book either.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/24/19 09:42 PM

I saw some articles on Tudaro. He appears to be pretty all in on his pizza place these days. I don’t get the impression that he’s running some kind of criminal enterprise but I would not know.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/24/19 09:44 PM

I think another candidate would be Castellano. With all of the construction companies that him and the top Genovese bosses owned, I think that their families must be sitting on a fortune.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/24/19 10:18 PM

The sequel books are very good

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/25/19 07:18 PM

Would Franzese be in the running too? He made it out of the life and seems to be doing well for him and his family.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/25/19 07:27 PM

There are 2 former Colombo members who we cannot name on here who went legit and are now both worth hundreds of millions. I think they would have to be talked about in this conversation too.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/25/19 07:42 PM

One of the books tells the full story of Luca brasi....great book. It deserves a movie from Luca brasi point of view

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/25/19 07:45 PM

Do multi-milliionairs that leave the life still have to send an envelope?

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/25/19 11:22 PM

I doubt it. Years ago I would say without hesitation that they do send tribute. But I don’t think the American mafia can touch some of them today.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/25/19 11:30 PM

I believe Michael was loosely based on both Bonanno and Genovese.

Vito ?? He was much more violent and had that Neapolitan temper.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/26/19 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hollander
I believe Michael was loosely based on both Bonanno and Genovese.

Vito ?? He was much more violent and had that Neapolitan temper.

You hear that stereotype about every southern Italian. I’m not sure either how Vito was similar to michael.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/26/19 10:34 PM

Not really an old time guy, but Vinny Ocean Palermo might have had that kind of potential. His son worked at Goldman Sachs so he could have created a very powerful empire in the legitimate and illegitimate worlds.
Posted By: bronx

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/26/19 11:28 PM

not vinny..he wanted to kill too much

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/26/19 11:40 PM

Not stating this as fact just quoting the site that I was led to when searching it. For what it's worth.

Michael Corleone is loosely based on Joseph Bonanno and Vito Genovese.[6] Bonanno became a boss of his own family at a very young age and he relocated some of his businesses to Arizona in the 1960s. Genovese had fled to Sicily in the 1930s due to murder charges and ordered the deaths of rival bosses in the 1950s. Genovese was also infamous for being duplicitous, as well as for his kiss of death, given to Joseph Valachi, just as Michael did with his brother Fredo.

https://godfather.fandom.com/wiki/Michael_Corleone

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/26/19 11:43 PM

Furthermore, regarding the Bonanno basis, Bonanno also at least planned to kill all of his rivals.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/27/19 02:21 AM

I personally doubt it, but who the fuck knows in the words of Bobby Bacala. I would love to know the true story behind Junior Gotti getting stabbed outside a CVS.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/27/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden

I personally doubt it, but who the fuck knows in the words of Bobby Bacala. I would love to know the true story behind Junior Gotti getting stabbed outside a CVS.

I doubt it too. Like I said, in the past there’s very little doubt. But today I think they just leave them alone.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/27/19 07:12 PM

Furthermore, regarding the Bonanno basis, Bonanno also at least planned to kill all of his rivals.

The Bonannos were one of the weakest families too. Bonanno was willing to pay $2 million for a dealership in Arizona so he was still making great money even at that time. What would that have done for Bonanno if he pulled that off? Wouldn’t he have just been killed eventually?

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/28/19 02:19 AM

There's a similarity between what Bonanno attempted to do and what Michael Corleone did at the end of GF1.

Regarding rich guys kicking up, as I understand it, all made guys kick up a percentage of everything they earn, legit or not.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/28/19 04:06 AM

Bonanno was very greedy. And he went about it all the wrong way. Colombo immediately turned around and alerted everyone. If he was smart enough to pull it off then he easily would have been at the top of the crime world. And he would have been a spitting image of what Michael became.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/28/19 04:21 AM

Perhaps Puzo fleshed out Michael's character with an alternative universe where Joe Bonanno had succeeded in his plans.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/28/19 01:48 PM

Perhaps Puzo fleshed out Michael's character with an alternative universe where Joe Bonanno had succeeded in his plans.

It is absolutely possible that it could have been an inspiration. It is interesting to think about what would have happened had Bonanno been successful.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/28/19 07:26 PM

So Tarantino didnt invent the alternative history concept after all.

Joe Bananas Unchained.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/29/19 08:06 PM

So Tarantino didnt invent the alternative history concept after all.

Joe Bananas Unchained.

Maybe that will be his next movie lmao.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/30/19 01:50 AM

Working title of The Godfather 2.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/30/19 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Revis_Knicks
Smart business mind. Meyer lansky for example, died with very little money according to his family. Contrary to what many believe about Lansky, I don’t think he was ever close to being a billionaire at any point.

According to Robert Lacey, author of "Little Man - Meyer Lansky and the Gangster Life" (best mob bio ever, IMO), Lansky was never worth more than $5-6 million at his peak. He died nearly broke after blowing his last $50k on an unsuccessful operation to cure a chronic neurological condition in his ne'er do well son Buddy.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/30/19 03:01 PM

Now that they have cgi maybe they can do a proper gf3

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/30/19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by Revis_Knicks
Smart business mind. Meyer lansky for example, died with very little money according to his family. Contrary to what many believe about Lansky, I don’t think he was ever close to being a billionaire at any point.

According to Robert Lacey, author of "Little Man - Meyer Lansky and the Gangster Life" (best mob bio ever, IMO), Lansky was never worth more than $5-6 million at his peak. He died nearly broke after blowing his last $50k on an unsuccessful operation to cure a chronic neurological condition in his ne'er do well son Buddy.

I always felt that the legend of Meyer was a myth. Of course he made good money but I don’t think he was ever making kingpin level money. Nothing that would make a top businessman’s head spin. He still had powerful contacts but I don’t think he had money like some of his peers.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/30/19 03:40 PM

So far, I think Moe Dalitz, maybe Todaro, the two Colombo guys, Joe Bonanno(if his plan to assassinate his rivals was successful), and Gambino are the best candidates we have come up with. Catena is someone we could consider but I am not too knowledgeable on him.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/31/19 04:50 PM

Could Lombardozzi ever cross over to the legit side and make a huge name for himself? He was a smart businessman with many legitimate businesses that he could grow.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 10/31/19 06:24 PM

Tommy Gambino is in this category too. But he just wasn’t a killer like Michael Corleone was. It was estimated that at one point in the 1990s he was worth $75 million. This would make him one of the richest mobsters in the country.
Posted By: mobcleve

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 11/01/19 02:21 AM

All depends on which story your believe. Lacey claims he died with little money to his name. Other stories (and his daughter) claim Lansky transferred his wealth to his brother and attorneys. Either way, definitely held considerable power and respect for a long time.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 11/01/19 04:04 AM

Were Lansky, Luciano and those guys running a ponzi scheme all along? Broke as hell and just jacking up their own value?

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 11/01/19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by mobcleve
All depends on which story your believe. Lacey claims he died with little money to his name. Other stories (and his daughter) claim Lansky transferred his wealth to his brother and attorneys. Either way, definitely held considerable power and respect for a long time.

I believe his wealth was overstated but I could be proven wrong.

Re: What old time had Michael Corleone potential? - 11/01/19 07:07 PM

Were Lansky, Luciano and those guys running a ponzi scheme all along? Broke as hell and just jacking up their own value?

I think Luciano had a lot of money as the boss. He lived in the most exclusive apartment in New York City. That rent doesn’t pay itself.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET