Home

Johnny Dio

Posted By: OakAsFan

Johnny Dio - 10/12/19 06:37 PM

A few questions about this obviously high profile yet for some reason seldomly discussed figure from the 1950s.

He seems to have a lot of Luciano/Genovese influence but was part of the Luccheses. What crew was he in? Or was he a captain? I know the Luccheses had some very high profile soldiers, like Frankie Carbo.

Dio is featured in the famous Goodfellas prison scene played by the late Frank Pellegrino (FBI Chief Cubitoso on The Sopranos). Henry Hill mentions him a lot in the book as well. Was Dio under Vario at any point? What was his connection to the Vario crew out in Brooklyn when he was a Little Italy guy?

As high profile as he was, it's hard to believe Henry Hill had so much access to him. Hill mentions him frequently like he's one of the guys. Seems unbecoming of someone of his stature, who would probably view someone like Hill as nothing more than a groupie and would never say a word around him.

Also, is the Johnny Dio who was a very big out in LA's garment industry the same Johnny Dio?

On a side note, this is the greatest mobster photo I've ever seen:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DiLorenzo

Re: Johnny Dio - 10/12/19 07:12 PM

He was huge in labor racketeering !!

He was the guy who had acid thrown in that reporters face blinding him !!
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Johnny Dio - 10/12/19 07:41 PM

I think he was involved with Hoffa, too. And yes, that acid attack was brutal. The guy made a lot of money and had a lot of pull that's for sure. His wikipedia page also says Johnny Friendly in "On The Waterfront" is based on him, although I've heard people say Friendly's based on the Anastasia brothers. I'd lean more toward him being based on the Anastasias considering their influence on the Brooklyn docks.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET