Home

Bonanno Crime Family in 1981

Posted By: Zavattoni

Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/26/19 04:38 PM

The Bonnanno's lost Big Dom Trinchera; Sonny Red Indelicato; Phillp Giaccone; Sonny Black Napolitano and Anthony Mirra all in 1981 from different circumstances. Benny Left Ruggiero was gonna also gunna be hit.

They lost some serious powerhouses that year. My question is; Why did it take Phillip Rastelli so long to have Carmine Galante whacked? Was their a agreement where Galante was to serve as Acting Boss for a period or did he just grab total power without Rastelli's knowledge? I read they were friends at some point but i dont know the total extent.
Posted By: pmac

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/26/19 08:57 PM

rastelli was on the street till 1976. galante was released in 1974. from old articles they were close friends. when phil has to go to jail in 1976 he makes galante the acting boss and it must have went to his head. he jumps rite back in the herion game basically all the guys who get indicted in the pizza connection case all trace back to galante. he gets rich fast and goes power hungry. probaly stops listening to phil calling from jail or his messengers. galante had alot of guys loyal to him it wasnt easy to get guys to go against him

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/26/19 09:00 PM

also galante gets locked up on parole violation for 18months. from dec 1977 all of 78. he gets out spring 79 and gets whacked a few months later. big qusetion whose the acting boss for phil in 1978 while galantes locked up or does he just let nick m. and steve canone run the family. im thinking that

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/27/19 01:38 AM

@Pmac

Was Nicky Marangello official underboss under Rastelli? Or was he put in place by Galante? I know he was bumped down once Rastelli got full control of the family but who put him as underboss?

Rastelli was such a horrible boss. The 3 captains were murdered; You had Cesare Bonventre and a few other captains all murdered in the 80's. The Bonnano's in the 80's was a mess. Killing captains; left and right over disloyalty and rusty trying to keep control.

If the Zips and the 3 captains all had there way with the backing of another family or two; Rusty wouldnt have been boss aslong as he was.
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/27/19 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by pmac
rastelli was on the street till 1976. galante was released in 1974. from old articles they were close friends. when phil has to go to jail in 1976 he makes galante the acting boss and it must have went to his head. he jumps rite back in the herion game basically all the guys who get indicted in the pizza connection case all trace back to galante. he gets rich fast and goes power hungry. probaly stops listening to phil calling from jail or his messengers. galante had alot of guys loyal to him it wasnt easy to get guys to go against him

That's right on the fuckin' head PMac...smack dab..u know the timeline like a mutha----r ….when he got out , he supposedly blew up Frank Costello's resting place ...why I don't know.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/27/19 06:35 PM

nick marangello was phils official underboss when he became boss in 1973. i think he was still phils underboss after galante dies. people say nick was broken down but i dont think that happens till he gets indicted with the other guys from the donnie brasco thing. massino testified he became the offical underboss in 1984. i wanna say nick was probaly to old and was asked to stepped down. rusty gets out in 1984 and thats when massino becomes underboss. makes sense.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/27/19 07:35 PM

found a cool old article from ny times. . natale evola dies in june 1973. phil becomes official boss few months later. he choses nick m as underboss. galante gets out in march 1974. this article is about a teamster union. they kicj money up to phil, nick and phils brother carmine. the witness was a union guy who says when phil went to jail in june 1976 he made all payments to nick. this is at the federal rico trial of phil nick massino and like 10 other guys oh sal vitale in 1986.. so clearly rusty choose galante to be acting boss and it was only for a short time. from june 1976 till camine violates parole and gets locked up in dec 1977. 18months as acting boss then he gets released in 1979 and gets whacked.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/27/19 07:53 PM

found another law thing. seems nick was in on having galante hit. he was seen at the ravenite talking to neil dellacroce and steve canone. 2 times and once after galante was killed. he was called in front of a grand jury in 1982 and found guilty of contempt. sentenced to 1yr he goes to jail in january 1983 after he looses last appeal.so i think he was never demoted by rusty at all he just went to jail for contempt then gets indicted agin in 1985 for rico with abunch of bonannos gets 8yrs in jan 1987. they had 12 seperate tables during the trial. he say to the grand jury he was godfather to one of galantes kids.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/27/19 09:13 PM

found another law thing. seems nick was in on having galante hit. he was seen at the ravenite talking to neil dellacroce and steve canone. 2 times and once after galante was killed. he was called in front of a grand jury in 1982 and found guilty of contempt. sentenced to 1yr he goes to jail in january 1983 after he looses last appeal.so i think he was never demoted by rusty at all he just went to jail for contempt then gets indicted agin in 1985 for rico with abunch of bonannos gets 8yrs in jan 1987. they had 12 seperate tables during the trial. he say to the grand jury he was godfather to one of galantes kids.

Damn that's cold.
Posted By: JC

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/27/19 10:45 PM

found a cool old article from ny times. . natale evola dies in june 1973. phil becomes official boss few months later. he choses nick m as underboss. galante gets out in march 1974. this article is about a teamster union. they kicj money up to phil, nick and phils brother carmine. the witness was a union guy who says when phil went to jail in june 1976 he made all payments to nick. this is at the federal rico trial of phil nick massino and like 10 other guys oh sal vitale in 1986.. so clearly rusty choose galante to be acting boss and it was only for a short time. from june 1976 till camine violates parole and gets locked up in dec 1977. 18months as acting boss then he gets released in 1979 and gets whacked.

A lot of Galante's power came from the fact that while he was not an original like Bonanno he was pretty damn close. He was also very tight with Vito Genovese. Like Genovese when he came back from Italy Galante didn't have to be boss to have power, he was a power unto himself. Some of the stuff that is commonly said about Galante I think was just legend like his having killed a few Genovese made guys after he got out of jail. I have never seen any of those guys that he allegedly killed identified, and if he did kill a few of their guys he would have been dead much sooner.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 12:52 AM

What I find a very interesting question is ..... Where in the hell did Rusty get all of his Power from?
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 01:24 AM

they should have dealt with the donnie brasco thing different
i can't think of how but i't should have been different...
from the beginning they should have wait him being so close to sonny crew

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 02:08 AM

@Pmac.

Would have never thought Nicky Glasses Marangello would have been Phil's choice as underboss. He was sooo close to Galante and seemed to follow his orders to. Why do you think he wasnt bumped down to soldier? Mike Sabella got the boot for being so close to Galante. He was a mentor to a ton of guys.

Rastelli power was due to Joe Massino; If he didnt have him; He would have been whacked when he got out of jail or asked to step down. I bet the other commission leaders had no respect for him.

@MeyerLansky

Yea; The Donnie Brasco situation was a mess. Definitely could have been handled differently. Mirra and Napolitano payed a heavy price with their lives. I don't understand why Sonny Black didn't skip town. He knew he was a dead man but he wanted to die like a man. I don't get it...
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Zavattoni
@MeyerLansky

Yea; The Donnie Brasco situation was a mess. Definitely could have been handled differently. Mirra and Napolitano payed a heavy price with their lives. I don't understand why Sonny Black didn't skip town. He knew he was a dead man but he wanted to die like a man. I don't get it...

If you believe in the life how could you live with yourself knowing you were played by a FBI agent. What kind of life would you lead knowing you fucked up like that. I’m sure he believed in the ‘Cosa Nostra till I die’ just like Gotti said. You think skipping town would be a life worth worth living? I give him props for going out like he did. That is part of it that ordinary citizens like you and I don’t get.

You wanna be a gangster? Live it until you ain’t living no more.

Pure and simple

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 04:05 AM

Rusty was a stone cold killer. He was doing hits when he was a kid. He killed his ex wife. Guy was a psychopath. Him galante and nick marangello were all the same age and all at 1 time close to joe bonanno. Nick tells a grand jury in 1982 hes known galante since 1942 and is godfather to 1 of his daughters. They wanted to know if he also was in on killing some guy moe a galante bodyguard. Nick knew galante was geting killed he was part the plot. Him and mike sabella got jammed up in all the indictments with donnie brasco 82 . I belive neither was demoted they just couldnt function and were in jail or under multiple indictments. I think sabella was also indicted in florida. Rusty had no choice but to replace them. They weren't that close to galante or they died with him. Plus there photos of them with dellacroce who was the force behind galantes murder
Posted By: JC

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Michael_Giovanni
@MeyerLansky

If you believe in the life how could you live with yourself knowing you were played by a FBI agent. What kind of life would you lead knowing you fucked up like that. I’m sure he believed in the ‘Cosa Nostra till I die’ just like Gotti said. You think skipping town would be a life worth worth living? I give him props for going out like he did. That is part of it that ordinary citizens like you and I don’t get.

You wanna be a gangster? Live it until you ain’t living no more.

Pure and simple

Sonny Black took his medicine like a man, at least he didn't run off to California only to start fleecing people like Franceze, that charlatan. In some ways he's the worst of all, he left his family in NY and started a new con claiming to be a man of God when he was just another guy who looked for the best out when the life turned on him.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 03:50 PM

boring sunday waiting for celtics at 1 and then the battle of winterfell at 9 nerds no what i mean. little more searching around 1981 on nick marangello and sabella. maybe after the 3 capos are killed there broken down by rusty for whatever reason but it has nothing to do with galante. who by may 1981 been dead almost 2 yrs. after donnie brasco is taken off the street we know sonny black gets killed hes the street boss or acting boss after the 3 capos are killed for what 2months then hes dead. in 1980 sal catalano a zip herion kingpin who lives in queens was close to rusty is acting boss for less then 6 months cause he cant speak english. sabella indicted at the end of 1982 in milwakee for vending machine shit with donnie brasco, florida for drugs grand jurys in nyc for everything. him and nick where just fucked and were useless to rusty and probaly asked to step down. thats crazy 3 federal cases in 3 states all over america. tthink sabella beat almost all them he ended up with like 5 yrs. i dont understand why sabella or nick wasnt at the brooklyn club when the 3 capos were killed. again maybe they knew about the plot. they were both also always in little italy nyc around the westside and gambinos.evryday

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 03:54 PM

sabella own the place casa bella still around today even thou ive read its a genovese place
Posted By: Mooney

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 04:36 PM

In your opinion Pmac, who had more zips in NYC? Knickerbocker (Bonanno) or 18th ave/cherry hill (Gambino?) I would guess Gambino because if the Cherry hill crew, between the Gambino, inzerillo, spatola and Di Maggios. However between Catalano and his crew....the bonventres and guys like Amato they probably had a ton too. Of course I am not including Montreal...that would put the Bonannos on top ovviously.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 06:13 PM

joe bonanno had that thing in his family he only inducted sicilians. probaly give him the edge even thou he was deposed as boss in or around 1965. a brooklyn capo pietro licata was killed in nov 1976. maybe that was a sneak job and not orderd by rusty or maybe it was.
Posted By: Jeremythejew

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 08:07 PM

Pietro Licata was a knickerbocker capo who didnt like heroin dealing.

its to hard of a debate to say who was more powerfull for the binos or bonanno zips.

currently, would obviously be gambinos tho
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 08:14 PM

Pmac, Pietro Licata was done on Galante's orders to clear the way for big narcotic distribution, but there seems to have also been a personal motive for the hit other then drugs and elevating Salvatore Catalano over the zips.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 08:28 PM

i seen that too but theres pictures of pietro licatas son after his fathegr is killed with the biggest herion dealers in the usa and in sicily. 1980s the pictures are in the pizza connection book. yaeh for him to be kill 5 months after rusty goes to jail in 1976hmmmm galante probaly snuck him. his crew then is absolved by sal catalano who was inducted in 1976

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 08:29 PM

seems like sal catalano was inducted and made a capo imedialty kinda like john gotti even thou he was only a acting capo for carmine fatico

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 10:37 PM

@Pmac

Nick was definitely a bit useless; a figurehead in-fact; If he still held the underboss rank after Galante got clipped. Big Joe Massino was not underboss; but it was understood that he was Rastelli's deputy on the streets.

I always wondered why they picked a sicilian in Sal Catalano to reunite the factions when he spoke no english.

I bet the other bosses in Big Paul; Gigante; Corallo; Persico all had little respect for Rastelli.

@Micheal_Giovanni;
I agree. He lived La Costra Nosta till the end.

Do anyone think the 3 capo's could have taken control of the family if they had a bit more firepower? Sonny Red was no joke.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 11:12 PM

Im assuming rustelli and marangello were both sicilians since joe bonanno was only for inducting them into his family. His whole book was about that. Theres pics of the zips with marangello so its safe ti say he was fluent in there dialect. Nick was a old guy but he was around since forever and probaly had relationships with all the family. He kinda had a social club like fat tonys. Open a few hours a day for business only. Not great a nyc geography but if his place was on hester street that what around the corner from the ravenite and probaly 20 other clubs back then

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 11:21 PM

They had a shot, but they failed the same way Galante failed on the zips. They undermined and disregarded the zips in the family. Sonny Red owed money to the Rizzutos in a drug deal and had not paid them back. Lucky Phil had a lot of respect from other high up family members in other families. Phil made the mistake of not killing Joe Massino when he had the chance. Half of the capos were on their side with a few more on the fence. How they conducted and did business with everyone else up to them getting killed, is what made them only having five crews with them. The hit was a master stroke in by taking out both Sonny Red and Lucky Phil, no one would try to take over the family from Rastelli, eventhough Rastelli was doing a lousy job from prison. Only revenge killings which is why they worried about Bruno Indelicato, and Tommy Karate, who's antics against Gene Gotti and Angelo Ruggerio of the Gambino family, and an unidentified Capo in the Colombo crime family made those families to support Sonny Black and Massino. So they ordered contracts on them, but they were later pulled, when Pistone was revealed to be an FBI agent.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 11:53 PM

I wonder who was to be boss phill lucky and sonny red underboss or vice versa. Massino n sonny black pulled the wool rite over there heads. They also broke sacres rules not to bring weapons to a sitdown which probaly made them look like dirt bags in the eyes of other family bosses

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/28/19 11:54 PM

Call a peace meeting then slaughter them was like a mafia first. The red wedding

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/29/19 12:22 AM

Sonny Red was the muscle and feared, while Lucky Phil had brains and respect from many members in the Bonanno and other families. It would have most likely have been Phil as boss and Alphonse as underboss.
Both the Colombos and Gambinos gave them tactical support with Dellacroce supply them with a Gambino owned building, and the Gotti crew disposing of the bodies with the mistake of Sonny Red not buried to deep. The Genoveses were on the renegade faction side, with Fat Dom supplying some firepower to them.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/29/19 12:40 AM

@Pmac.

Yea; They definitely broke the rules by killing the 3 captains at that meeting. Sitdowns are to settle disputes respectfully. Rastelli and Massino must have really felt threatened to use such a underhanded tactic. This is the 1st time I've heard of a sitdown ending in murder.

@Giacomo_Vacari

Who is the Alphonse you are referring too? I read that the Lucchese's wanted no part in the Bonnano's problems and stayed out the conflict.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/29/19 01:37 AM

I have to defer to others here but Galante strikes me as someone who would make more money for the family than Phil Rastelli. I may be talking out of my ass but I get the impression Galante would've made more money for everybody with his savvy vis-à-vis the drug trade and his international connections. Whacking him was the proverbial cutting off the nose to spite the face.

He also has the most badass death pose I have ever seen.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/29/19 02:21 AM

Zavattoni, Alphonse Indelicato is Sonny Red. Lucchese family administration was the only family to stay out of the Bonanno conflict, but members supported their friends and family in the Bonanno crime family.
Moe, Galante was bringing in a fortune, but he started to get too greedy, stepped on alot of people's toes, and his ego went to his head that it got so big, that they had no other choice but to pop him.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/29/19 03:49 PM

I forgot his name was Alphonse Indelicato. Had a brain fart.

Is it true that Rastelli asked for Joe Bonnano's approval to have Galante clipped? I doubt this story; Joe was sidelined for a while up to that point.

@Pmac
I'v read that Galante was Joe Bonnano's underboss or consigliere at one point. You know what years?? I always thought he was an extremely powerful captain.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/29/19 09:47 PM

i think galante was a powerhouse capo never underboss. ive read evrywhere galante was joes underboss he said he wasnt and the son bills to. he was sent to montreal to tighten the ship up there in the 1950tys. why would you send the underboss up there. hes in charge of everything in nyc. all the crews. a capo could be sent up there to recruit a few guys induct a few. but the underboss is to important to be sent away. galante lived in montreal for awhile. and this also was to set up the herion pipeline thing . also believe rusty and nick mangello were soldiers in his crew. galante looses his last appeal in 1962 or 63 and all his guys prosper well hes in jail till 1974. rusty throws him a thank you makes him acting boss well hes locked up
Posted By: MightyDR

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/30/19 05:17 AM

Is it true that Rastelli asked for Joe Bonnano's approval to have Galante clipped? I doubt this story; Joe was sidelined for a while up to that point.

I've heard that one before and find it absurd knowing what we now know. Rastelli was the official boss of the family and Bonanno was persona non grata with no power out in Arizona. Probably just a made up story by people back in the day who thought Bonanno was once "boss of bosses".

Lots of great info on this thread. Thanks guys.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 04/30/19 07:01 AM

i think galante was a powerhouse capo never underboss. ive read evrywhere galante was joes underboss he said he wasnt and the son bills to. he was sent to montreal to tighten the ship up there in the 1950tys. why would you send the underboss up there. hes in charge of everything in nyc. all the crews. a capo could be sent up there to recruit a few guys induct a few. but the underboss is to important to be sent away. galante lived in montreal for awhile. and this also was to set up the herion pipeline thing . also believe rusty and nick mangello were soldiers in his crew. galante looses his last appeal in 1962 or 63 and all his guys prosper well hes in jail till 1974. rusty throws him a thank you makes him acting boss well hes locked up

Nick Mangello was a soldier in Carmine Galante crew. Galante took over from Dominick Sabella. Rastelli was in John Aquaro crew. Aquaro crew broke off from another crew in the 1950s, given how close John Aquaro and Natale Evola were, I would say Aquaro was a soldier in Evola crew. That is my best bet. Williamsburg was a strong hold for the Bonanno crime family and many members met each other there. Galante and Rastelli and some others can be traced back there in the 1940s. Galante and Rastelli knew each other since the 1940s.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 08/26/19 06:50 PM

Do anyone believe Joe Massino would have still made it to the top of the family if Rastelli never became boss or if they didn't have that father/son relationship?

Or do anyone believe he probably would have been whacked somewhere down the line?

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 08/26/19 09:08 PM

If rustelli never becomes boss massino might not have even got made. Hypothetical questions can go anywhere
Posted By: Regoparker100

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 09/10/19 01:29 AM

Were rusty, massino, lefty guns, sonny black, sonny red and anthony mirra involved in the banana wars? If so, which side were they on?

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 09/10/19 01:45 AM

Rusty was and lefty was. Massino was still young. Sonny red and mirra was locked up . Think rusty was a bonanno loyalist

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 09/10/19 02:01 AM

@Pmac

Was Alfred Embarrato on bad terms with the Bonanno leadership around the time of the 3 capo murder.? It's said that on the day of the 3 capo murder; He was called to a sitdown by Dominick Napolitano; Al Walker was told his nephew Anthony Mirra was no good and he better act right.. or something along those lines.

Was Al Walker supporting the 3 captains and the renegade faction?

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 09/10/19 07:19 AM

Rastelli was a Bonanno loyalist, but decided to go on the sidelines due to Bill Bonanno leadership skills. When Joe Bonanno resurfaced, Rastelli met with Joe Bonanno and was allowed to sit on the sidelines earning, but kicking up to the Bonanno faction.

Embarrato was summoned a couple of days later after the three capos were killed I believe, as he was once a soldier in Mickey Z crew. He was in no immediate danger, only a message that his nephew Tony was in hot water and that he should carry himself alot more better.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 09/10/19 03:46 PM

@Giacomo_Vacari

Was Al Embaratto involved in Mirra's murder? They were Uncle and Nephew so I doubt the Bonanno's said anything to Al Walker. I'm not sure though.. Would love some insight.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 09/10/19 03:50 PM

Al Walker was his uncle. I think massino and sonny black put al walker in charge of the hit. Al walker got his other nephew Joe d'amico to meet up with mirra and joe killed him. Thats real grimmey a blood family affair. How could you trust people who kill there own blood. Nuts. Massino was saying mirra was a DEA snitch but i think he was just a threat to massinos rising star

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 09/10/19 03:56 PM

Al Walker was his uncle. I think massino and sonny black put al walker in charge of the hit. Al walker got his other nephew Joe d'amico to meet up with mirra and joe killed him. Thats real grimmey a blood family affair. How could you trust people who kill there own blood. Nuts. Massino was saying mirra was a DEA snitch but i think he was just a threat to massinos rising star

To have your own family kill you... That's harsh as it get. How powerful was Al Walker as a captain? Who was in his crew?

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 09/10/19 03:56 PM

Also mirra was the first to bring dlnnie brasco around and he was never charged with a crime cast suspicion. But even according to brasco they never really did any major crimes well he was with mirra before getting released to lefty

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 07/17/20 03:45 AM

Also mirra was the first to bring dlnnie brasco around and he was never charged with a crime cast suspicion. But even according to brasco they never really did any major crimes well he was with mirra before getting released to lefty

Always thought Mirra was killed because of the Donnie Brasco incident. He was also ''Disgusting'' according to most of the guys that knew him. I doubt he was a threat to Massino's power....

What happened to Jilly Greca? Wasn't he the first person to rub-nose with Donnie Brasco?? Pretty sure the Colombo's would have had him killed if they knew about their initial meeting.
Posted By: chin_gigante

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 07/17/20 09:16 AM

Embarrato had seen documents that indicated Mirra was a DEA informant. Embarrato went to Steve Cannone's social club and told him about it. Massino was there at the time and at that point the family administration was Rastelli as the official boss in prison, Sally Ferrugia as acting boss, Massino and George Sciascia on a panel running the family with Ferrugia, the underboss position was left vacant and Cannone was still the consigliere.
Cannone gave the order to kill Mirra and Massino agreed with it. Embarrato then carried it out with his relatives Joe D'Amico and Richard Cantarella.

Years later, Cantarella wanted to kill Embarrato because he feared he had become an informant after he didn't get caught up in legal action over the Bonanno family's involvement over newspapers. Cantarella got the okay from Sal Vitale to do the hit if he wanted to but Vitale advised against it, saying it would bring too much attention to the family to kill Embarrato because he was in his 80s. Cantarella eventually let it go and Embarrato was never hit

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 07/17/20 12:49 PM

@ Chin_Gigante

That's interesting; Never read that Mirra was possibly a DEA informant; Will look into that. Regarding; Cantarella getting permission by Sal Vitale to murder his uncle Al Walker; I always thought Vitale was a power-less; and underwhelming underboss; Massino got fed up with him and took his power away for trying to be Mr. Big shot. The family didn't like him either.

@Pmac

Regarding a earlier post; You said Nick Marangello was involved in planning the Galante hit? Phil Rastelli only trusted his Consigliere (Steve Cannone) on the streets; and that's why he was at that social club meeting with Indelicato; Dellacroce; etc...

Nick Marangello was too close to Galante and was not fully trusted; He was always referring Galante as the Boss of the family; and it pissed Phil off.

Posted By: Dob_Peppino

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 07/17/20 09:32 PM

After Sciacca/Evola, why and how did Rastelli become the power in that Family? And what were the origins of his beef with Galante?
Posted By: MightyDR

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 07/17/20 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
After Sciacca/Evola, why and how did Rastelli become the power in that Family? And what were the origins of his beef with Galante?

Rastelli was underboss at some point in the late 60s or early 70s, then he was elected boss by the captains around 1974. Not sure about the origins of his problems with Galante. I assume it was nothing personal and just stemmed from Galante trying to seize power.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 07/17/20 10:05 PM

Was Rastelli even "worthy" of respect from Galante?
(When I say worthy, I mean in Lilo's mind, as in, was he a criminal on the same level as Galante and did he have the same reach throughout the mob)

Secondly, anyone knows if Dellacroce and Galante had a history or Neil's involvement strictly about that time period?
Mr. Neil to me always seem like he came outta nowhere in this story

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 07/17/20 10:35 PM

@Dob_Peppino & MightyDR

I think Rastelli and Galante were good buddies. They went back to the 1940's I believe. Lilo should have been content in staying as Acting Boss. He had alot of power that was given to him by Rusty.

I don't understand the administration that was back around that time. Rastelli was Official Boss; Galante was Acting Boss; Nick Marangello was Underboss; Steve Cannone was Consigliere. Anyone have any more information on Nick Marangello and Steve Cannone??? When were they Made; and when did they become captains?????

The thing I don't understand; How was Nick able to constantly undermine Rastelli and stay on as his #2 (Underboss)

Steve Cannone I believe ran things on the street and was more trusted by Phil. You had Joe Massino who was a captain but he had a bunch of leeway and power.

Wasn't Mike Sabella a major Galante captain?

Anyone know who were the Galante loyalist in the family and the Rastelli guys??? Or who was on the fence??

@Dob_Peppino

I don't think Lilo respected Rastelli at all. Yea; They were buddies for 3 decades but that didn't matter.

Posted By: chin_gigante

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 07/18/20 12:10 AM

Marangello was not involved in the Galante hit. Marangello was a Galante loyalist and recognised him as the official boss over Rastelli. When Galante went back to prison in the late-1970s, Marangello was his acting boss for a time. Marangello and Mike Sabella were suppised to be killed when Rastelli took the family back but instead they were spared and simply demoted.

Cannone was a Rastelli loyalist and was regarded as his right-hand man, so much so that when Massino was promoted to underboss he was told it was the number three position because Cannone was so trusted.

Galante declared himself the official boss in mid-1977 shortly before he inducted Massino. At that point there were those in the family who recognised Galante and those who recognised Rastelli. Massino recognised Rastelli, he had first been put on record with Rastelli, and he'd visit Rastelli in prison. Eventually, of course, Rastelli won out.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 07/18/20 01:24 AM

Marangello was lucky to have gotten a pass; He got promoted to underboss by Phil Rastelli; and starts to undermine him; and kiss Galante's *** once he becomes '"Acting Boss''... It's true that Galante was the true power of the family; but Nick seemingly didn't have any loyalty to the guy who promoted him to the #2 position (Rastelli).... Rastelli could have easily had Marangello killed..... A more ruthless boss; etc... (Gigante or Persico would have)

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 07/18/20 04:18 AM

Marangello and Sabella were both shapeshifters when it came to loyalty. They were true mob survivalist, they went were the crown was but I think because the came up on the the original Family, they would always look towards someone like Galante with reverence (Lilo gets a lot of hate but they guy was highly productive for Joe B). I think that Rastelli had the same failings of his predecessor Paul Sciacca and IMO, they weren't "impressive" enough (if that's a good word) to follow the likes of Bonanno, Garofalo, Galante, Evola.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 06/11/21 01:35 AM

@Dob_Peppino

Marangello and Sabella both knew were the power was.... You're right.

Do anyone know who the other captain's were in the family that were loyal to Galante but kept quiet so it didn't get back to Rastelli??
Posted By: Louiebynochi

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 06/11/21 04:24 AM

@Dob_Peppino

Marangello and Sabella both knew were the power was.... You're right.

Do anyone know who the other captain's were in the family that were loyal to Galante but kept quiet so it didn't get back to Rastelli??

Jimmy Cappasso,Jerry Chilli,JB Indelicato,Anthony Riela,Russel Muaro, Nicky the Battler and Patty Defillipos father
Posted By: Lou_Para

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 06/11/21 05:50 AM

Always thought Mirra was killed because of the Donnie Brasco incident. He was also ''Disgusting'' according to most of the guys that knew him. I doubt he was a threat to Massino's power....

What happened to Jilly Greca? Wasn't he the first person to rub-nose with Donnie Brasco?? Pretty sure the Colombo's would have had him killed if they knew about their initial meeting.

Jilly got clipped in 1979, 2 years before "Brasco" was revealed to be an FBI agent. According to Pistone,a guy on a motorcycle pulled next to Greca at a stoplight and put a couple slugs in him,because the mob thought he was a snitch. Pistone says that he wasn't.
Posted By: boomboomroom

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 11/29/21 10:51 AM

Carmine Galante Is Dead | Bonanno Crime Family | (1979)

Posted By: Njein

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 12/01/21 03:25 AM

What was Galante's relationship like with the other four New York families like? What about bosses outside of NYC like Angelo Bruno, Jim Licavoli or Ray Patriarca?
Posted By: NYMafia

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 12/01/21 05:07 AM

I don't know about that, but I can say from research that he pulled well with the Colombo crew; Carmine Persico, Sonny Franzese, and I think key members of the Lucchese downtown crew; Joe, Pete, and Charlie Di Palermo; and key members of the Genovese crew.

Out of state crews who were tight with Joe Bonanno I would imagine would stay close to Lilo as well. Montreal, etc., whether under their orbit or independents.

Remember Carlo Gambino, Dellacroce, Castellano, and company. and I'm sure key old Tommy Lucchese operatives would side with Gambino since the two bosses were essentially related through the marriage of their children as well.
Posted By: boomboomroom

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 01/16/22 04:53 PM

The Big Cheese: Joe Bonanno's Notes | (1980s)
Posted By: jace

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 01/17/22 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by boomboomroom
The Big Cheese: Joe Bonanno's Notes | (1980s)

I think that is Alan Krieger on the right, I am not sure of his let name's spelling. He was Bonnano's attorney for a long time, and the represented Gotti in the case where Gotti was sentenced to life.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 01/17/22 02:52 AM

Albert Kreiger
Posted By: jace

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 01/17/22 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by NYMafia
Albert Kreiger

Thanks. As a lawyer he represented those two, but I don't know if he had any others as clients. He did well with Bonnano, but the judge in the Gotti case had him intimidated. Plus he was not a real RICO case attorney.

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 01/17/22 03:20 AM

Not too many mob guys used him. His biggest case was Joe Bonanno contacting him. Years later he got publicity from Gotti for a day
Posted By: blueracing347

Re: Bonanno Crime Family in 1981 - 01/17/22 06:17 AM

There was a whole segment with Kreiger on the cocaine cowboys documentary.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET