Home

Genovese crime family height of power

Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Genovese crime family height of power - 01/10/19 11:39 PM

The Genovese Family was arguably the most powerful crime family in New York. But when was the height of their wealth and power exactly? Was it all the way back in Luciano’s day or was it during or post Vito genovese? I understand that Catena was very wealthy and powerful. It also seems as though the head of the Greenwich Village crew was very important within the family.
Posted By: Serpiente

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 12:13 AM

I don’t know but as far as all around would have to be when Frank Castillo was acting or boss he just had so many powerful men in business in law in every aspect that a family could want.

Because after he was out look what being loud and moving so much dope did for the family , it just made so many powerful people run and with powerful people you can get your big earners off charges or at least reduced if not have events completely thrown out .

But once Vito was openly known drug guy itjust changed the family .

If you look at all the families it was dope that started all the bullshit ....it causes jealousy because certain guys are making huge money ....it causes more murders ....it makes the regular Joe hate what they are about ....then LE runs the other way....Dope got Paul Castellano killed indirectly but directly .

It was behind so many downfalls in families.......they just not could let another family get all the money.....they thought that it would hurt the family if not involved......but in the end it killed them.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 12:23 AM

Was it Tommy Eboli who had his mitts in the boxing world in a big way, way back when?
Posted By: pmac

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 12:35 AM

i think when gotti kills big paul hes gave the strongest family advantage to chin from 1986 to present. the gambinos were a bigger and stronger family. they kill paul it was chaos. then frank decicco gets blown up. yes chin gets indicted in 1990 but he was on the street till 97??? and his acting bosses and barney today where all stronger leaders then anyone gotti promoted

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 12:38 AM

so i think the genovese height of power was after paul dies. so peak 1986 97. then massino gave them a run in the late 90tys to the shit collasped

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by pmac
so i think the genovese height of power was after paul dies. so peak 1986 97. then massino gave them a run in the late 90tys to the shit collasped

That’s interesting because the mob was far from its heyday in the 1980s

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Serpiente
I don’t know but as far as all around would have to be when Frank Castillo was acting or boss he just had so many powerful men in business in law in every aspect that a family could want.

Because after he was out look what being loud and moving so much dope did for the family , it just made so many powerful people run and with powerful people you can get your big earners off charges or at least reduced if not have events completely thrown out .

But once Vito was openly known drug guy itjust changed the family .

If you look at all the families it was dope that started all the bullshit ....it causes jealousy because certain guys are making huge money ....it causes more murders ....it makes the regular Joe hate what they are about ....then LE runs the other way....Dope got Paul Castellano killed indirectly but directly .

It was behind so many downfalls in families.......they just not could let another family get all the money.....they thought that it would hurt the family if not involved......but in the end it killed them.

Agreed! If they found more ways to substitute drug money then they wouldn’t have had the need to get into them in the first place. The gasoline scams are on example but only a few members were really in on that. I’ve always felt that Luciano and most of the old timers really wanted to eventually become legitimate wealthy businessmen. Kind of like how Michael Corleone was at least perceived in Godfather 3. He had hundreds of millions but because of his legitimate businesses and rebranding, some people probably felt he was clean.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 03:52 AM

i think when gotti kills big paul hes gave the strongest family advantage to chin from 1986 to present. the gambinos were a bigger and stronger family. they kill paul it was chaos. then frank decicco gets blown up. yes chin gets indicted in 1990 but he was on the street till 97??? and his acting bosses and barney today where all stronger leaders then anyone gotti promoted

I’ve heard people say the Gambino’s were the richest and most powerful under Carlo.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 03:56 AM

How about the ruling panel days with Catena, Strollo and Miranda?
Posted By: MightyDR

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 06:15 AM

It depends how you measure the height of its power. Number of guys? Money making schemes? Clout on the Commission? Unions and control over industries? Political influence?

During Frank Costello's reign, they had influence on politicians and judges plus huge gambling empires, but did they have influence over unions and industries like garbage and construction like they did in the 80s?
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 09:22 AM

yeah a lot of people say that under carlo the gambino's were the strongest
but also people say he respected (you can say feard or knew their power or whatever) the west side so who knows...

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 12:20 PM

i kinda misunderstood redirect you honor. so the genovese like the other families golden years where the 60tys early 70tys. they controlled everything. but they were second in power of the 5 nyc families till big paul died

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MightyDR
It depends how you measure the height of its power. Number of guys? Money making schemes? Clout on the Commission? Unions and control over industries? Political influence?

During Frank Costello's reign, they had influence on politicians and judges plus huge gambling empires, but did they have influence over unions and industries like garbage and construction like they did in the 80s?

They had garbage it just was not in LE radar same with snow removal same with big city special events LE never bothered to look at any of it till , the rats ! and technology with listening devices.

They had everything locked up.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by MightyDR

I go based on wealth. Because we already know they’ve always had strong connections pretty much everywhere. Same for the other families. Which bosses were really kingpins sitting atop the commission? Pretty sure Carlo was that for a while.
Posted By: JC

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 06:42 PM

i kinda misunderstood redirect you honor. so the genovese like the other families golden years where the 60tys early 70tys. they controlled everything. but they were second in power of the 5 nyc families till big paul died

I think that most families were at the height of their power by the mid to late 50's and early 60's, around the time of Appalachian and the Kefauver hearings. After that the government and law enforcement, at least publicly, could no longer look away and tell the public that there was no problem with organized crime.

As for the Genovese, I think that the height of their power was sometime from the late 30's through the early 60's, in other words the end of Lucian's reign through Costello's reign and the beginning of Genovese's time at the top. That was when their power was the most expansive, when family members like Costello, Alo, Tourine, Trigger Mike Coppola, and Catena had holdings all over the country and internationally as well. That was also the period when their associates like Lansky, Zwillman, Stacher and Nesline were at their peak. The Genovese were the biggest, most powerful family in NYC and NJ, they probably were the most active family in South Florida through Lansky, Coppola and others, and were arguably the most active family in Cuba as well. They were either the most invested or the second most invested family in Vegas during that time, and they were active in New Orleans and Newport, Kentucky through Trigger Mike. Stacher and Siegel were active on the West Coast with gambling and the movie studios as was Zwillman, they were active in other areas of the Caribbean as well as Europe, they already had crews in Springfield, Mass and Connecticut, and they were already strong in the Teamsters through Tony Provenzano and others. They also had Nesline in Washington, DC. They also had Morris Levy in the record industry and they had a big stake in the William Morris agency in the entertainment filed. During that time I think that the only family that was even close was Chicago.

The Genovese were never second behind the Gambinos in power until maybe the late 60's, and even then I think that that is doubtful. The Gambinos may have had a few more men, but they never had as wide an array of rackets as the Genovese. They were only minimally involved in Vegas and were not as involved in Cuba, they were never involved in New Orleans or Newport. They also weren't as strong in Florida, New England or NJ, and they were not nearly as powerful within the Teamsters. They never had the strong base of associates that the Genovese had as Lansky, Zwillman, Stacher and Nesline were powers in their own right. The only area where they had any advantage over the Genovese was in drug trafficking, but I believe that they did not get heavily involved in drugs until the late 60's if I recall correctly.

The only time that you could argue that the Gambinos were stronger was the period from the late 60's, when Vito Genovese died, to the early 80's. However, I think that that is more of a media creation, as Carlo Gambino had become the public face of organized crime through the media during that time, the stereotypical godfather. Just because the Genovese used a power sharing agreement and kept the actual identity of their boss hidden did not mean that the family lost any power. Until the Chin rose to the top in the early 80's bosses/ front bosses like Catena, Tieri and Salerno may have been less interested in Commission politics than Carlo Gambino and he may have been the most powerful boss on the Commission,. However, just because he was the biggest boss on the Commission does not mean that his family was the most powerful, kind of like Massino being arguably the biggest boss in the late 90's did not make the Bonannos the strongest family in NYC. The Genovese were still making more money and had more big earners than the Gambinos, even during that time period. If nothing else, just remember Carlo Gambino needed the Genovese family's namesake to make help make him boss.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JC

I think that most families were at the height of their power by the mid to late 50's and early 60's, around the time of Appalachian and the Kefauver hearings. After that the government and law enforcement, at least publicly, could no longer look away and tell the public that there was no problem with organized crime.

As for the Genovese, I think that the height of their power was sometime from the late 30's through the early 60's, in other words the end of Lucian's reign through Costello's reign and the beginning of Genovese's time at the top. That was when their power was the most expansive, when family members like Costello, Alo, Tourine, Trigger Mike Coppola, and Catena had holdings all over the country and internationally as well. That was also the period when their associates like Lansky, Zwillman, Stacher and Nesline were at their peak. The Genovese were the biggest, most powerful family in NYC and NJ, they probably were the most active family in South Florida through Lansky, Coppola and others, and were arguably the most active family in Cuba as well. They were either the most invested or the second most invested family in Vegas during that time, and they were active in New Orleans and Newport, Kentucky through Trigger Mike. Stacher and Siegel were active on the West Coast with gambling and the movie studios as was Zwillman, they were active in other areas of the Caribbean as well as Europe, they already had crews in Springfield, Mass and Connecticut, and they were already strong in the Teamsters through Tony Provenzano and others. They also had Nesline in Washington, DC. They also had Morris Levy in the record industry and they had a big stake in the William Morris agency in the entertainment filed. During that time I think that the only family that was even close was Chicago.

The Genovese were never second behind the Gambinos in power until maybe the late 60's, and even then I think that that is doubtful. The Gambinos may have had a few more men, but they never had as wide an array of rackets as the Genovese. They were only minimally involved in Vegas and were not as involved in Cuba, they were never involved in New Orleans or Newport. They also weren't as strong in Florida, New England or NJ, and they were not nearly as powerful within the Teamsters. They never had the strong base of associates that the Genovese had as Lansky, Zwillman, Stacher and Nesline were powers in their own right. The only area where they had any advantage over the Genovese was in drug trafficking, but I believe that they did not get heavily involved in drugs until the late 60's if I recall correctly.

The only time that you could argue that the Gambinos were stronger was the period from the late 60's, when Vito Genovese died, to the early 80's. However, I think that that is more of a media creation, as Carlo Gambino had become the public face of organized crime through the media during that time, the stereotypical godfather. Just because the Genovese used a power sharing agreement and kept the actual identity of their boss hidden did not mean that the family lost any power. Until the Chin rose to the top in the early 80's bosses/ front bosses like Catena, Tieri and Salerno may have been less interested in Commission politics than Carlo Gambino and he may have been the most powerful boss on the Commission,. However, just because he was the biggest boss on the Commission does not mean that his family was the most powerful, kind of like Massino being arguably the biggest boss in the late 90's did not make the Bonannos the strongest family in NYC. The Genovese were still making more money and had more big earners than the Gambinos, even during that time period. If nothing else, just remember Carlo Gambino needed the Genovese family's namesake to make help make him boss.

I also forgot to say that during that time the Genovese had the strongest political connections in NYC through Costello and Gerry Catena. They also had connections in the Federal Government which continued at least until the early 70's and helped to get Richard Nixon to pardon Ray DeCarlo..
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 07:52 PM

In times of crisis is strong who remains stable.Genovese have reached
Originally Posted by Revis_Island
The Genovese Family was arguably the most powerful crime family in New York. But when was the height of their wealth and power exactly? Was it all the way back in Luciano’s day or was it during or post Vito genovese? I understand that Catena was very wealthy and powerful. It also seems as though the head of the Greenwich Village crew was very important within the family.

In times of crisis is strong who remains stable.Genovese have reached their peak after Gotti and Gravano seriously damaged the Gambinos,that was their historical enemies.After 1990 the other four families was seriously damaged by bloody boss (Lucchese),internal war (Colombo) and a boss that flipped (Bonanno) while the Genovese had only 8 rats and remained strong and had a boss Bellomo that is free from 2008 and the family also had ties with the ndrangheta as the digregorio case made think so IMO it height of their wealth and power was from 1990 to today.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by JC

Thanks JC great post.
Posted By: Yonkers

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by furio_from_naples

In times of crisis is strong who remains stable.Genovese have reached their peak after Gotti and Gravano seriously damaged the Gambinos,that was their historical enemies.After 1990 the other four families was seriously damaged by bloody boss (Lucchese),internal war (Colombo) and a boss that flipped (Bonanno) while the Genovese had only 8 rats and remained strong and had a boss Bellomo that is free from 2008 and the family also had ties with the ndrangheta as the digregorio case made think so IMO it height of their wealth and power was from 1990 to today.

Maybe Bellomo's wealth personally is more than previous crime family bosses, I'm not sure, if he is indeed the boss, but no boss today is even close in power than what the families used to control.

Also very informative post JC

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by JC

Appreciate the post. Where in Europe was the Genovese family active? Whether you believe that the Gambino’s or Genoese were the strongest I think we can all agree that they had the best earners and influence for sure. Not including Franzese from the Colombo family but that was in the 70s. After the Mob’s heyday.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/11/19 11:32 PM

Interesting take because so many people are quick to say that all of the 5 families are a shadow of what they once were including the Genovese. Very great points though. You’re always a great contributor.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 12:12 AM

It’s amazing I know none of the stuff you guys know.....I said it a few times in posts that I wish I would of known what I was living when I was young .

I know I did not think that any of it would matter ....the internet was not even a thought.....so I only knew what I was living and I sometimes think at certain events that are history that I would of paid more attention even just remembering names for Christ sake .

I would have to meet a guy a few times before I would know his name and what he was about....I have slipped up with a few guys here in PM ‘S about a few very interesting events.

But yeah we had no clue it was going to be a thing ...we thought nobody knew shit !!! about what was what.

And all the old cats with stories I just brushed most of them off without a second thought... but I am headed to see a old cat that was in my fathers crew back at the end of Nucky Johnson crew my fathers guys learned for those old cats ....but I never thought about listening to them in there old days.....don’t get me wrong some close guys but nothing like this internet.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 12:24 AM

so benny squint lombardo becomes boss after vito genovese dies in feb. 1969 has there ever been a fbi article, new paper or a turncoats acount of gambino and lombardo meeting? ive never seen any. i read aton of stuff about funzi tieri basicly being tooted as the boss. whether he was underboss or acting boss which he was. lombardo used him like a lighting shield. never heard of gambino and him meeting. they must have, and it must have been super secret. greg scarpa telling the feds everything funzi tieri doing in the early 70tys around brooklyn and alot about him and carlo
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 01:15 AM

Probably when they got involved in the casino business in Cuba, Las Vegas and Europe.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 01:34 AM

final answer alex. it was when lucky luciano was boss. and technically it wasnt the genovese family yet. so if the genovese family starts after frank costello steps down as boss after chin shot him. or was lucky luciano still the boss and frank costello the acting boss for lucky. anyway genovese becomes official boss sometime in 1957 then goes to prison in late 1959 and dies in prison 1969( he must have been close to parole). so genovese height was the apalachin meeting and the year 1958 then it went real bad. sick in bed got a bad cold boring friday no party till patriots curb stomp the charges sunday afternoon. philip rivers cant play when it 20degree out
Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 02:16 AM

The 1950s were the top decade. They had Lansky.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 04:30 AM

1931 to Valachi flipped. What Valachi gave the feds did damage to the Genovese crime family. He pointed LE in a lot of directions that started to really hurt the Genovese family money income. From the day Lucchese pasted away till the day Gambino died, the Gambino family was on top in almost every field. Castellano and Gigante had a strong alliance which helped make Genovese evenly matched to both the Gambino and Chicago families. When Bruno Angelo was killed in Philadelphia, was when the Genovese crime family came back into number one. Buffalo and Cleveland went through Genovese family on the Commission starting in the 1970s. Buffalo after Magaddino passed away, and Cleveland after they found out that John Nardi was getting support from Castellano in the Gambino family. By 1982 there can be no doubt that the Genovese crime family was the most powerful family in the US.
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 06:03 AM

It’s amazing I know none of the stuff you guys know.....I said it a few times in posts that I wish I would of known what I was living when I was young .

I know I did not think that any of it would matter ....the internet was not even a thought.....so I only knew what I was living and I sometimes think at certain events that are history that I would of paid more attention even just remembering names for Christ sake .

I would have to meet a guy a few times before I would know his name and what he was about....I have slipped up with a few guys here in PM ‘S about a few very interesting events.

But yeah we had no clue it was going to be a thing ...we thought nobody knew shit !!! about what was what.

And all the old cats with stories I just brushed most of them off without a second thought... but I am headed to see a old cat that was in my fathers crew back at the end of Nucky Johnson crew my fathers guys learned for those old cats ....but I never thought about listening to them in there old days.....don’t get me wrong some close guys but nothing like this internet.

Your father's crew??..was working 4 Nucky & or an extension of Phila.? Was Nucky his own power or part of Sabella etc.?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by hoodlum

Your father's crew??..was working 4 Nucky & or an extension of Phila.? Was Nucky his own power or part of Sabella etc.?

No .... they were close to some of Nucky guys when they were old and my fathers guys were late teens ....some of those old guys had shit till they died and nobody claimed AC you had many different families here in summer but the only main stays were the old guys left over from Nuckys era .

And when I say crew I don’t mean a OC crew ...but in the 40’s you had guys that were straight or you had guys that were not .

There were a lot of heavy guys in AC that were jewish , Irish , mixed and Italians very tough crowd and most had connections .

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
1931 to Valachi flipped. What Valachi gave the feds did damage to the Genovese crime family. He pointed LE in a lot of directions that started to really hurt the Genovese family money income. From the day Lucchese pasted away till the day Gambino died, the Gambino family was on top in almost every field. Castellano and Gigante had a strong alliance which helped make Genovese evenly matched to both the Gambino and Chicago families. When Bruno Angelo was killed in Philadelphia, was when the Genovese crime family came back into number one. Buffalo and Cleveland went through Genovese family on the Commission starting in the 1970s. Buffalo after Magaddino passed away, and Cleveland after they found out that John Nardi was getting support from Castellano in the Gambino family. By 1982 there can be no doubt that the Genovese crime family was the most powerful family in the US.

I always wondered what the estimate of total income for the boss was. In Luciano’s days, Costello’s and Genovese’s. At this time, the American Mafia was probably the most powerful criminal enterprise in the world. This was all before the Italians really started to make billions of dollars from their drug trafficking and businesses.
Posted By: BensonHURST

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 03:50 PM

I agree with Pmacs thinking just not the time line.

When Gotti took over he controlled the Decavs, the Bonnano's, Colombo's, The Trafficanre's in FL.

After Gotti is taken off the street def the Genovese.

Any time b4 that I think the Gamvinoa were just so much bigger stronger and more stable.

Remember Carlo was the boss of bosses and Castalleno was the boss of bosses.

BOTH controlled the commission
So they had that additional power.

Gotti lost some of that power when took over.
The commission never officially ordered a hit on Gotti
Y?

He had too much power.

Chin had to get his errand boy Gaspipe,
However, what was left of the commission 1)Gave the Colombo's a seat back 2) Acknowledged Orena as official boss

That was Gotti's doing

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 03:55 PM

Think about it up until Castallenno gets whacked the Gambinos even controlled Philly.

After Castalleno Chin moved in.

However, the Gambino's controlled everything.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 05:17 PM

Bensonhurst, it can't not be argued that John Gotti positioned himself to control the commission, however by the time Massino got his seat, Gotti was locked up, and the 3rd Colombo war weaken that family to where they were not effective and once again kicked off the commission. This was of course Gottis own doing. He had a strong ally in Orena, but Gotti was some of the Colombo family business and gave tactic support to Orena when it was discovered that Carmine Persico was thinking of doing a movie about his life. That was the perfect opening for John Gotti to do his double cross.
The thing is to not forget that the even though the Gambinos controlled the Colombos, Bonannos, Philadelphia, DeCavalcantes, and LoScalzo in Tampa. The Genovese family controlled Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Detroit. They were and are still powerful in the unions to this day.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 05:29 PM

Bensonhurst, it can't not be argued that John Gotti positioned himself to control the commission, however by the time Massino got his seat, Gotti was locked up, and the 3rd Colombo war weaken that family to where they were not effective and once again kicked off the commission. This was of course Gottis own doing. He had a strong ally in Orena, but Gotti was some of the Colombo family business and gave tactic support to Orena when it was discovered that Carmine Persico was thinking of doing a movie about his life. That was the perfect opening for John Gotti to do his double cross.
The thing is to not forget that the even though the Gambinos controlled the Colombos, Bonannos, Philadelphia, DeCavalcantes, and LoScalzo in Tampa. The Genovese family controlled Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Detroit. They were and are still powerful in the unions to this day.

I don’t know that Carmine was going to do what they say about his life ...if anything it was twisted .....and if by chance one or a couple other bosses sent word to not .... then why not now or ten years ago or fifteen years ago .

Many of these stories get twisted bad ....just like the ten paper clips story with Scarfo and Bruno and the supposed banishment to Atlantic City....

Now I remember the Carmine thing being talked about and it in the news but it most likely something completely different then a lifetime tell all made for tv show or book .

These things never get proof they for most part are fish stories or dick stories.

And if Carmine was going to do it it would of been i when the family was at its worst financially ... not back then when they had much more .
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/12/19 05:49 PM

I always wondered what the estimate of total income for the boss was. In Luciano’s days, Costello’s and Genovese’s. At this time, the American Mafia was probably the most powerful criminal enterprise in the world. This was all before the Italians really started to make billions of dollars from their drug trafficking and businesses.

During Vito Genovese divorce trial in 1952 his wife estimated his weekly income at $40,000. $2,080,000 a year.

Over $19 million a year in todays money.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/13/19 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by hoodlum

No .... they were close to some of Nucky guys when they were old and my fathers guys were late teens ....some of those old guys had shit till they died and nobody claimed AC you had many different families here in summer but the only main stays were the old guys left over from Nuckys era .

And when I say crew I don’t mean a OC crew ...but in the 40’s you had guys that were straight or you had guys that were not .

There were a lot of heavy guys in AC that were jewish , Irish , mixed and Italians very tough crowd and most had connections .

So Nucky did not give in to Sabella(who was the boss around the time u say ur dad was involved as a young man)….who counted the money back in those days?..Sabella..Nucky?& who was boss in the days when ur dad was a figure & who did ur pop answer to???

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/13/19 03:40 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/03/...ses-succeed-the-leaderless-gambinos.html

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/13/19 03:49 AM

That's a better break down of what I was saying
The Gambino s hands down were the strogest.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/13/19 03:57 AM

Luciano and Adonis were at the Grand Hotel des Palmes Mafia meeting in 1957, so it 's obvious the Genoveses were involved in the heroin trade with the Sicilian Cosa Nostra.
Posted By: streetbossliborio

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/13/19 04:11 AM

I went to that hotel last year in Palermo Hollander, was interesting. Still had an old fashioned decor inside.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/13/19 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by BensonHURST

But other than maybe the late 60's through the early 80's they weren't the strongest. From the beginning of Luciano's reign, 1931 or so, until the late 60's, the Genovese were hands down stronger than than the Gambinos, inside and outside of NYC. Even during from the late 60's through the late 80's the Genovese were heavily involved in national rackets that the Gambinos had little to no involvement in, such as the Teamsters and LIUNA. They shared the ports, but the Genovese had the better end of that deal with Manhattan and the Jersey ports. They also controlled Miami and the south Florida ports. They were also bigger in NJ and New England even then than Gambinos ever were. Also, until Lucchese died Gambino wasn't even the biggest boss who was on the streets in NYC.
Posted By: m2w

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/13/19 09:29 AM

i agree italo-american mafia was the strongest worldwide in the 1920s-1960s period
the genoveses was probably always the strongest since te beginning (1890 morello family), the height of power from middle 1950s to early 1960s

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by JC

But other than maybe the late 60's through the early 80's they weren't the strongest. From the beginning of Luciano's reign, 1931 or so, until the late 60's, the Genovese were hands down stronger than than the Gambinos, inside and outside of NYC. Even during from the late 60's through the late 80's the Genovese were heavily involved in national rackets that the Gambinos had little to no involvement in, such as the Teamsters and LIUNA. They shared the ports, but the Genovese had the better end of that deal with Manhattan and the Jersey ports. They also controlled Miami and the south Florida ports. They were also bigger in NJ and New England even then than Gambinos ever were. Also, until Lucchese died Gambino wasn't even the biggest boss who was on the streets in NYC.

NOT ACCORDING TO THE FEDS: READ THE ARTICLE The Gambino's had 400+ when Gotti took over the Genoveese had 300, I seen some data from years ago that said the Gambino's at one point were 1000 strong.

Read the article it is very interesting

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/03/...ses-succeed-the-leaderless-gambinos.html

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hollander
Luciano and Adonis were at the Grand Hotel des Palmes Mafia meeting in 1957, so it 's obvious the Genoveses were involved in the heroin trade with the Sicilian Cosa Nostra.

Didn't Genoveese go to jail for 10 years for DRUGS?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by m2w

i agree italo-american mafia was the strongest worldwide in the 1920s-1960s period
the genoveses was probably always the strongest since te beginning (1890 morello family), the height of power from middle 1950s to early 1960s

How could Carlo be the "BOSS OF BOSSES" if he did not have the most POWER?
And than Castalleno headed the commission.

Why wasn't Genoveese or Costello the "BOSS OF BOSSES"

The same way the strongest crew from the family takes over the family, well the strongest family takes over the commission.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Michael_Giovanni

During Vito Genovese divorce trial in 1952 his wife estimated his weekly income at $40,000. $2,080,000 a year.

Over $19 million a year in todays money.

And that’s just from what she knows. He was probably making even more than that. If he had gone about his business maybe in a smarter or more discreet way then him and the other bosses of that time and prior to could have legitimized all of their cash flow and basically been like Michael Corleone in Godfather 3. I’ve said it before, but I believe that was the dream for most of the old timers. But for most of them, things fell apart before they could attain that goal.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by m2w

From the 1920s-1960s I think you’re right. Did organized crime in Italy really overtake everybody in the 1970s?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 04:50 AM

I agree with Pmacs thinking just not the time line.

When Gotti took over he controlled the Decavs, the Bonnano's, Colombo's, The Trafficanre's in FL.

After Gotti is taken off the street def the Genovese.

Any time b4 that I think the Gamvinoa were just so much bigger stronger and more stable.

Remember Carlo was the boss of bosses and Castalleno was the boss of bosses.

BOTH controlled the commission
So they had that additional power.

Gotti lost some of that power when took over.
The commission never officially ordered a hit on Gotti
Y?

He had too much power.

Chin had to get his errand boy Gaspipe,
However, what was left of the commission 1)Gave the Colombo's a seat back 2) Acknowledged Orena as official boss

That was Gotti's doing

I think Carlo probably built them up to be the powerhouse that they soon became. I’m not sure if they were even seen as equals to the Genovese family when Anastasia was boss. Carlo must’ve been a smart guy
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 09:31 AM

For sure he was smart guy
Been boss for so many years without getting killed or anything it's not simple at all !
Building his family to be an empire !
You cannot fo that without being smart...

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by m2w

How could Carlo be the "BOSS OF BOSSES" if he did not have the most POWER?
And than Castalleno headed the commission.

Why wasn't Genoveese or Costello the "BOSS OF BOSSES"

The same way the strongest crew from the family takes over the family, well the strongest family takes over the commission.

The American Mafia had abolished the title of "boss of bosses" by that time, but Carlo was seen as the most powerful for a period.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 01:58 PM

Here you have it:

Don Carlo

In the early 1960s, Gambino slowly moved against the prominent Anastasia loyalists, headed by caporegime Armand "Tommy" Rava. With Joseph Biondo as a solid underboss, Joseph Riccobono as Gambino's own consigliere, and with his top caporegimes, Aniello "Mr. Neil" Dellacroce, Paul "Big Paul" Castellano, Carmine "The Doctor" Lombardozzi, Joseph "Joe Piney" Armone and Carmine "Wagon Wheels" Fatico, the remaining Anastasia loyalists could never make a move.

Gambino quickly expanded his rackets all over the country. New Gambino rackets were created in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Boston, San Francisco and Las Vegas. Gambino also, to regain complete control of Manhattan, took over the New York Longshoremen Union, where more than 90 percent of all New York City's ports were controlled. It was a great time, when the money rolled in from every Gambino racket in the U.S. and worked its way up to become America's most powerful crime family. Gambino also made his own family policy: "Deal and Die." This was Gambino's message to every Gambino family member; heroin and cocaine were highly lucrative, but were dangerous, and would also attract attention. The punishment for dealing drugs, in Gambino style, was death.

In the 1960s, the Gambino family had 500[8] (other sources have 700[9] or 800[10]) soldiers, within 30 crews making the family a $500,000,000-a-year-enterprise. In 1962, his eldest son Thomas Gambino married the daughter of fellow mob boss Tommy Lucchese, the new head of the Gagliano crime family, whom Gambino would become close to as a partner, friend, and relative. More than 1,000 people, relatives, friends, and amico nostro ("friends of ours"), were present during the wedding-ceremony. It has been rumored that Gambino personally gave Lucchese $30,000 as a "welcome gift" that same day.

As repayment, Lucchese cut his friend into the airport rackets that were under Lucchese control, especially at John F. Kennedy International Airport, where all unions, management, and security were controlled by Lucchese himself.

After Joseph Bonanno was forced into retirement by the Commission, Vito Genovese died of a heart attack, and Tommy Lucchese died of a brain tumor, Gambino's status and power on the Commission was elevated almost immediately.

While the Mafia had abolished the title of "boss of bosses," Gambino's position afforded him the powers such a title would have carried, as he was now the boss of the largest, wealthiest, and most powerful crime family in the country and was the head of the Commission, a position only Luciano had held before Gambino.

According to the feds it remained this way until a few years after GOTTI was arrested as he lost control of the Gambino's at such time, CHIN seized control:

Federal and state officials say that since Mr. Gotti, the head of the Gambino family, was convicted of murder and racketeering in 1992, the rival Genovese organization has supplanted the Gambino family as the most powerful Mafia group in New York and the nation.
The shift has placed significant power in the hands of Vincent Gigante, the boss of the Genovese family and now the decisive voice on the Mafia's commission, the group that sets mobster policies and resolves disputes.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 04:42 PM

Carlo Gambino become so powerful because yes,was smart but was sicilian and in the 1950s most of the family boss was sicilian and/or was born and emigrated to america so thanks to this net he can expand the family rackets,a thing that a boss like costello that was calabrian or genovese that,worst, was neapolitan wouldn't do.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 04:53 PM

Rava was killed in down in Florida in 1958. Dellacroce and the Fatico brothers were Anastasia loyalists. James Failla and Salvatore Aurello were Anastasia loyalists but switched to Gambinos side after Rava was killed. The Rava crew was split into four crews possibly five crews because of this. Aurello crew, Dellacroce crew, Failla crew, and Fatico crew. The split and the fact Gambino did not want his rivals to overpower him in the family is what led Rava crew split.
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 05:35 PM

?

There's no such thing as a boss of bosses. Gambino and Lucchese were the best two politicans on the Commission, therefore, they became the most powerful. Then Lucchese died. It's very simple.

Giacomo, why was Rava allowed to have such a gigantic crew? Was he defacto Underboss to Anastasia?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by m2w

From the 1920s-1960s I think you’re right. Did organized crime in Italy really overtake everybody in the 1970s?

italian organized crime groups became very strong in the 1970s, sicilian mafia and camorra were at their peak from the late 1970s to early1990s, sicilian mafia was at that time the strongest worldwide (but they were both very strong in 1800s too, sicilian mafia particularly during the late 1800)

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 09:53 PM

@m2w I see some or the cash amounts from seizures by law enforcement on some of the top Sicilian and Camorra members from that time and it’s mind boggling. They started to get into the heroin and cocaine trade in the late 1970s? Is that when they really took over?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 09:56 PM

Here you have it:

Don Carlo

In the early 1960s, Gambino slowly moved against the prominent Anastasia loyalists, headed by caporegime Armand "Tommy" Rava. With Joseph Biondo as a solid underboss, Joseph Riccobono as Gambino's own consigliere, and with his top caporegimes, Aniello "Mr. Neil" Dellacroce, Paul "Big Paul" Castellano, Carmine "The Doctor" Lombardozzi, Joseph "Joe Piney" Armone and Carmine "Wagon Wheels" Fatico, the remaining Anastasia loyalists could never make a move.

Gambino quickly expanded his rackets all over the country. New Gambino rackets were created in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Boston, San Francisco and Las Vegas. Gambino also, to regain complete control of Manhattan, took over the New York Longshoremen Union, where more than 90 percent of all New York City's ports were controlled. It was a great time, when the money rolled in from every Gambino racket in the U.S. and worked its way up to become America's most powerful crime family. Gambino also made his own family policy: "Deal and Die." This was Gambino's message to every Gambino family member; heroin and cocaine were highly lucrative, but were dangerous, and would also attract attention. The punishment for dealing drugs, in Gambino style, was death.

In the 1960s, the Gambino family had 500[8] (other sources have 700[9] or 800[10]) soldiers, within 30 crews making the family a $500,000,000-a-year-enterprise. In 1962, his eldest son Thomas Gambino married the daughter of fellow mob boss Tommy Lucchese, the new head of the Gagliano crime family, whom Gambino would become close to as a partner, friend, and relative. More than 1,000 people, relatives, friends, and amico nostro ("friends of ours"), were present during the wedding-ceremony. It has been rumored that Gambino personally gave Lucchese $30,000 as a "welcome gift" that same day.

As repayment, Lucchese cut his friend into the airport rackets that were under Lucchese control, especially at John F. Kennedy International Airport, where all unions, management, and security were controlled by Lucchese himself.

After Joseph Bonanno was forced into retirement by the Commission, Vito Genovese died of a heart attack, and Tommy Lucchese died of a brain tumor, Gambino's status and power on the Commission was elevated almost immediately.

While the Mafia had abolished the title of "boss of bosses," Gambino's position afforded him the powers such a title would have carried, as he was now the boss of the largest, wealthiest, and most powerful crime family in the country and was the head of the Commission, a position only Luciano had held before Gambino.

According to the feds it remained this way until a few years after GOTTI was arrested as he lost control of the Gambino's at such time, CHIN seized control:

Federal and state officials say that since Mr. Gotti, the head of the Gambino family, was convicted of murder and racketeering in 1992, the rival Genovese organization has supplanted the Gambino family as the most powerful Mafia group in New York and the nation.
The shift has placed significant power in the hands of Vincent Gigante, the boss of the Genovese family and now the decisive voice on the Mafia's commission, the group that sets mobster policies and resolves disputes.

Was $30,000 seen as a lot? I know it’s a gift and it’s still a lot but for some reason I would expect him to give more. And for Lucchese to cut him in on JFK, it’s like the difference between buying a bond on google when it first started out and buying stock.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 10:13 PM

Carlo Gambino become so powerful because yes,was smart but was sicilian and in the 1950s most of the family boss was sicilian and/or was born and emigrated to america so thanks to this net he can expand the family rackets,a thing that a boss like costello that was calabrian or genovese that,worst, was neapolitan wouldn't do.

Why wouldn’t Genovese or Costello not be able to expand the family rackets because of that? And Costello was northern Calabrese I believe which was closer to campania. Southern Calabria is more like Sicily in dialect and culture I’m assuming. And I would think that both Costello and Genovese had a lot of support from Sicilian mobsters within their crime families in order to become bosses no? My family is from Sicily and I’ve never understood the differences growing up.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 10:13 PM

Early 70tys was shakey for the genovese. They kill eboli. They have to kill that rapist capo name forgets me. He was a huge money maker for vito. And died after vito couldnt protect him. I think carlo threw hos wait behind funzi tieri to be in the hierarchy after he manipulated eboli death. He hated gambino

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/14/19 11:35 PM

Here you have it:

Don Carlo

While the Mafia had abolished the title of "boss of bosses," Gambino's position afforded him the powers such a title would have carried, as he was now the boss of the largest, wealthiest, and most powerful crime family in the country and was the head of the Commission, a position only Luciano had held before

Was $30,000 seen as a lot? I know it’s a gift and it’s still a lot but for some reason I would expect him to give more. And for Lucchese to cut him in on JFK, it’s like the difference between buying a bond on google when it first started out and buying stock.

$30,000 is the same as giving $250,000 GIFT, NOT TOO SHABY!!!

Basically at the time of the wedding the Gambino's had between 400-800 men and they had control of the Luchese family as well through marriage.

I agree at what you are saying the $30,000 ($250,000) was an outstanding gift however, getting in on JFK was probably MILLIONS per year.

Anyhow Tommy Gambino was supposed to eventually be boss so Luchese was giving to his son in law, that was obliviously the main reason for it.

This explains why BURKE gave GOTTI $250,000 from Lufthansa

You know whats REALLY CRAZY!! At then end of the day the Lufthansa Millions ended up getting blown at a A.C. casino by Vinnie Gorgeous, that's KARMA for you, all that BLOOD all those bodies, and the money gets BLOWN.

CRAZY SHIT!!!

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/15/19 01:16 AM

Why wouldn’t Genovese or Costello not be able to expand the family rackets because of that? And Costello was northern Calabrese I believe which was closer to campania. Southern Calabria is more like Sicily in dialect and culture I’m assuming. And I would think that both Costello and Genovese had a lot of support from Sicilian mobsters within their crime families in order to become bosses no? My family is from Sicily and I’ve never understood the differences growing up.

No offense, but that statement makes absolutely no sense. The Genovese, particularly with Costello, had more expansive rackets than anyone else in American LCN other than maybe Chicago. They were one of the first families involved in Florida, California, Reno and Las Vegas. They were the only outside family to ever have anything in New Orleans. They were the only east cost family that I know of to be in Newport, Kentucky. They were first into places that the primarily Sicilian Gambinos would never operate in. The regions where their bosses came from did nothing to hold them back. Even if there was some prejudice because of it, which I don't think that there was, they more than made up for it with their network of Jewish associates, something again that the Gambinos never had. The Genovese never had trouble expanding anywhere in the US, or outside of the US, no matter who the boss was.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/15/19 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by JC

No offense, but that statement makes absolutely no sense. The Genovese, particularly with Costello, had more expansive rackets than anyone else in American LCN other than maybe Chicago. They were one of the first families involved in Florida, California, Reno and Las Vegas. They were the only outside family to ever have anything in New Orleans. They were the only east cost family that I know of to be in Newport, Kentucky. They were first into places that the primarily Sicilian Gambinos would never operate in. The regions where their bosses came from did nothing to hold them back. Even if there was some prejudice because of it, which I don't think that there was, they more than made up for it with their network of Jewish associates, something again that the Gambinos never had. The Genovese never had trouble expanding anywhere in the US, or outside of the US, no matter who the boss was.

Great points

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/15/19 03:29 AM

@BensonHURST How did Vinny Gorgeous get his hands on that money exactly? I wasn’t even aware that he was involved whatsoever because I thought it was orchestrated by members of the Lucchese family more so than any other family. But I knew the Gambino’s had a hand in it as well. Didn’t know about the Bonnano’s.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/15/19 04:09 AM

Burke paid off Gotti $250K because that was Gambino's end of the entire racket @ JFK.

Anthony Indelicato son of Sonny Red Indelicato (The 3 Capos) is married to Cathy Burke, daughter of James Burke.

She was in care of James Burke's Monies from the heist between $1MM and $2MM and Anthony conned her into believing that he and Vinny Gorgeous were going to invest it and flip it to earn additional monies, they finally convinced her to turn it over. They invested a small amount into a B.S. business venture the rest Basciano and Indelicato blew at the craps game.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/15/19 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by JC
Carlo Gambino become so powerful because yes,was smart but was sicilian and in the 1950s most of the family boss was sicilian and/dor was born and emigrated to america so thanks to this net he can expand the family rackets,a thing that a boss like costello that was calabrian or genovese that,worst, was neapolitan wouldn't do.

One of the other basis of Luciano forming the 5 families and the commission was because the "MUSTASCHE PETE'S" refused to work with anyone other than Sicilians. Luciano opened everything up and partnered with the Jews, IRISH and other ethnic groups across America and abroad.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/15/19 07:48 AM

@m2w I see some or the cash amounts from seizures by law enforcement on some of the top Sicilian and Camorra members from that time and it’s mind boggling. They started to get into the heroin and cocaine trade in the late 1970s? Is that when they really took over?

they were involved in drugs also before but the market was smaller, sicilian mafia started to produce heroin in sicily that was the most lucrative at that time supplying both europe and north america
but what make them so powerful was the connections into italian government and the freemasons, thanks to it they infiltrated heavily the construction business, managing the public works and the waste disposal

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/15/19 01:56 PM

I don't say that Costello and Genovese wasnt able to expansed their rackets but tgey used irish and Jew gangsters because some old sicilian mafiosi had a prejudice on them.
For Calabria,Campania and Sicily it are very different but today there arent so many prejudices but the sicilian mafia considerate for years the camorra and ndrangheta as inferior because less organizated. And today more Calabrians say that the Signa welcome to italy stay in Calabria and that the sicily is part of africa.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/15/19 07:06 PM

Burke's daughter also had a big hand in spending that loot , even though rumor has it that some luccs & bonnanos extorted her of a lot of it.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/15/19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by m2w

they were involved in drugs also before but the market was smaller, sicilian mafia started to produce heroin in sicily that was the most lucrative at that time supplying both europe and north america
but what make them so powerful was the connections into italian government and the freemasons, thanks to it they infiltrated heavily the construction business, managing the public works and the waste disposal

FreeMasons?

Tell me more?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 01:27 AM

I don't say that Costello and Genovese wasnt able to expansed their rackets but tgey used irish and Jew gangsters because some old sicilian mafiosi had a prejudice on them.
For Calabria,Campania and Sicily it are very different but today there arent so many prejudices but the sicilian mafia considerate for years the camorra and ndrangheta as inferior because less organizated. And today more Calabrians say that the Signa welcome to italy stay in Calabria and that the sicily is part of africa.

That sounds so childish because Calabria and Sicily practically border each other and from what I’ve read, even share the same dialect. It’s actually funny lol.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 01:28 AM

Burke paid off Gotti $250K because that was Gambino's end of the entire racket @ JFK.

Anthony Indelicato son of Sonny Red Indelicato (The 3 Capos) is married to Cathy Burke, daughter of James Burke.

She was in care of James Burke's Monies from the heist between $1MM and $2MM and Anthony conned her into believing that he and Vinny Gorgeous were going to invest it and flip it to earn additional monies, they finally convinced her to turn it over. They invested a small amount into a B.S. business venture the rest Basciano and Indelicato blew at the craps game.

What a shame.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by m2w

Did any of the three organizations in Italy ever compare to the Medellin cartel under Escobar?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 07:39 AM

That sounds so childish because Calabria and Sicily practically border each other and from what I’ve read, even share the same dialect. It’s actually funny lol.

Revis_Island this is not true,even if Calabria and Sicily border each other they were different as for dialect that for the other things (Im italian and can say the difference between the two dialects) for the oc the Calabrians was focused until the 1990 on the kidnappings and after when the mafia declared war to the italian state,the ndrine used the bilion that made with kidnappings for replace cosa nostra in drug trade.
The sicilians for example considered the ndrangheta as the gambinos considered the decavalcante aka a peasants because they were only focused in blood ties and had no International links.
That wasnt true and cosa nostra had to ask help for save their men that was in narcos hands because have no money for pay the drug.
Its hard to explane but the proximity is only physical for the rest there is a huge abyss that divides them.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 05:33 PM

@Furio I was really only speaking culturally from what I’ve experienced from immigrants hailing from Sicily and Calabria here in America. Not really organized crime. Perfect analogy of how the ndrangheta was looked at however until they really rose to power. Just like the Decavalcante’s. Can you expand on the story about cosa nostra men being trapped in Narcos hands because they didn’t have enough money? Sounds interesting. They didn’t have enough money for the supply they had agreed upon?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BarrettM
?

There's no such thing as a boss of bosses. Gambino and Lucchese were the best two politicans on the Commission, therefore, they became the most powerful. Then Lucchese died. It's very simple.

Giacomo, why was Rava allowed to have such a gigantic crew? Was he defacto Underboss to Anastasia?

Back then the New York families had 8 to 10 crews, with the 1950s allowing them to crew 1 to 3 more crew due to the books opening up and geographically locations changed. So the big crews became smaller. After Appalachian they split crews up to avoid LE scrutiny some the feds and cops would not know who was with them and what business they owned and controlled.
Correction on Failla, he was in Aurello crew at the time headed by Peter Ferrara, but he was close to Joe Gennero, Joe Paterno and John Riccobono son of Joe Riccobono. When Lucchese passed away Gambino made Failla a capo over half the crew Joe Gennero was running, this was the old Squilante crew. Another member of Anastasia old crew who became a capo was Joseph Colozzo, it is possible he became a Capo during Anastasia reign as boss when the boss opened up to slit the crew into two, or he was made capo after Rava was killed.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 06:03 PM

@Furio I was really only speaking culturally from what I’ve experienced from immigrants hailing from Sicily and Calabria here in America. Not really organized crime. Perfect analogy of how the ndrangheta was looked at however until they really rose to power. Just like the Decavalcante’s. Can you expand on the story about cosa nostra men being trapped in Narcos hands because they didn’t have enough money? Sounds interesting. They didn’t have enough money for the supply they had agreed upon?

http://federicovarese.com/blog/garante-tra-cosche-e-narcos-italian-la-stampa-07072013

Roberto Pannunzi was a calabrian broker that buy coke for the ndrangheta and saved a mafioso (I can't find the name) that would be killed because the sicialians doesn't had the money for pay the narcos and bagged Pannunzi to save their man.The Colombians trust the ndrangheta at the point that they sell them even huge quantity of coke without ask for an hostage.Naturally this was a shame for the sicilians.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by m2w

FreeMasons?

Tell me more?

italian organized crime groups were always linked to freemasons since 1800s, some mafiosi are freemasons and in italy there are several occult lodges, like the p2, that was very powerful in the 1980s

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 08:22 PM

http://federicovarese.com/blog/garante-tra-cosche-e-narcos-italian-la-stampa-07072013

Roberto Pannunzi was a calabrian broker that buy coke for the ndrangheta and saved a mafioso (I can't find the name) that would be killed because the sicialians doesn't had the money for pay the narcos and bagged Pannunzi to save their man.The Colombians trust the ndrangheta at the point that they sell them even huge quantity of coke without ask for an hostage.Naturally this was a shame for the sicilians.

that's happened because italian police seized 600kg of coke and the sicilians thought the colombians stolen it and they didn't pay
lol the colombians are the first to not be trusted at all, theri men in spain sometimes stole drugs and money for multiple groups and go away
last year they stolen the money albanian paid for coke and albanians kidnapped a calabrian because they thought ndrangheta did it, because ndrangheta was intermediator between colombians and albanians, they are just incidents that happens

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 08:28 PM

Revis_Island this is not true,even if Calabria and Sicily border each other they were different as for dialect that for the other things (Im italian and can say the difference between the two dialects) for the oc the Calabrians was focused until the 1990 on the kidnappings and after when the mafia declared war to the italian state,the ndrine used the bilion that made with kidnappings for replace cosa nostra in drug trade.
The sicilians for example considered the ndrangheta as the gambinos considered the decavalcante aka a peasants because they were only focused in blood ties and had no International links.
That wasnt true and cosa nostra had to ask help for save their men that was in narcos hands because have no money for pay the drug.
Its hard to explane but the proximity is only physical for the rest there is a huge abyss that divides them.

huge abyss? lol sicily and calabria are similar, southern calabrian dialect is like sicilian dialect from certain areas, all southern italy is similar anyway
northern italians often didn't even understand the difference between sicilians or calabrians, they are same to them

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 11:04 PM

No retaliation from the Sicilians? I guess there isn’t much to retaliate against though if they were just wrong in the situation.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/16/19 11:07 PM

Did the Genovese have international rackets? I saw someone earlier in the thread say that they did. I know they were in on Cuba.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/17/19 01:24 AM

Did the Genovese have international rackets? I saw someone earlier in the thread say that they did. I know they were in on Cuba.

Richie the Boot Boiardo had a casino in Antingua, Charles Tourine and the Lansky group, which would include Alo, were said to have interests in casinos in the Carribean. Tourine and the Lansky group, which included Nesline and Celini among others, supposedly had interests in casinos in the Netherlands and Yugoslavia among other places in Europe. The Genovese through the Lansky group and guys like Joe Pagano were also said to have interests in the casinos in London. Supposedly the Genovese through Gerry Catena and the Lucheses controlled the slot machines throughout England.
Posted By: WhackWhack

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/17/19 09:24 AM

@BensonHURST How did Vinny Gorgeous get his hands on that money exactly? I wasn’t even aware that he was involved whatsoever because I thought it was orchestrated by members of the Lucchese family more so than any other family. But I knew the Gambino’s had a hand in it as well. Didn’t know about the Bonnano’s.

According to Cicale, there was a lockbox that Bruno had access to that his wife, Jimmy Burkes daughter had the key to where the Lufthansa money was kept. Vinny and Bruno invested part of the $ in an animated movie featuring Ferrets and the rest they blew at the casinos. Vinny Gorgeous was a compulsive gambler and I assume Bruno was no different being a heavy coke user.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/18/19 06:38 PM

Yeah that's what I am talking about.
I think the amount that was invested into the movie was peanuts.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/18/19 06:40 PM

That's KARMA for you

All that BLOOD on that money and it gets blown at a casino.

Burke must have risen from the grave as a spirit
And is probably haunting Vinnie Gorgeous

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/18/19 06:42 PM

Remeber that episode of the sopranos when Christopher gets shot and dies for 1 minute.

He said I was in hell I seen my father he said he is an Irish bar and all they play is Irish music all day and all night.

And he loses every hand of cards.

I know he is in he'll.

Lol

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/18/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JC

Richie the Boot Boiardo had a casino in Antingua, Charles Tourine and the Lansky group, which would include Alo, were said to have interests in casinos in the Carribean. Tourine and the Lansky group, which included Nesline and Celini among others, supposedly had interests in casinos in the Netherlands and Yugoslavia among other places in Europe. The Genovese through the Lansky group and guys like Joe Pagano were also said to have interests in the casinos in London. Supposedly the Genovese through Gerry Catena and the Lucheses controlled the slot machines throughout England.

How profitable were all those casinos they owned? Must cost a fortune just to keep the lights on.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/18/19 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by m2w

huge abyss? lol sicily and calabria are similar, southern calabrian dialect is like sicilian dialect from certain areas, all southern italy is similar anyway
northern italians often didn't even understand the difference between sicilians or calabrians, they are same to them

I have heard that the dialect has little to no difference from people.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/20/19 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by JC

How profitable were all those casinos they owned? Must cost a fortune just to keep the lights on.

No idea but I am sure that they figured out a way to make ends meet.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/21/19 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by JC
Originally Posted by JC

No idea but I am sure that they figured out a way to make ends meet.

If Gotti was making tens of millions a year allegedly I wonder how much Costello, Genovese, Luciano and Gambino we’re making in their day.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/21/19 02:46 AM

Well if Genovese made $2 mil in 1952 when he wasn't even the boss, I would assume that Costello made even more. I would imagine that Gambino was in the same ballpark, and some say that Jerry Catena had more money than anyone. I would guess that they made between $20 and $25 mil annually in today's money.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/21/19 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by JC
Well if Genovese made $2 mil in 1952 when he wasn't even the boss, I would assume that Costello made even more. I would imagine that Gambino was in the same ballpark, and some say that Jerry Catena had more money than anyone. I would guess that they made between $20 and $25 mil annually in today's money.

How did Catena make all of his money? I’ve heard a lot about him but nobody really knows too much about his business profits because he was so profit. Also, I wonder what if any American bosses like Luciano for example would’ve become top businessmen like the Rockefeller’s or something like that had they been able to evade the FBI and legitimize their businesses.
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/22/19 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by JC

How did Catena make all of his money? I’ve heard a lot about him but nobody really knows too much about his business profits because he was so profit. Also, I wonder what if any American bosses like Luciano for example would’ve become top businessmen like the Rockefeller’s or something like that had they been able to evade the FBI and legitimize their businesses.

Part of his income was receiving skim money from Las Vegas. One of the reasons he was moved up to underboss and acting boss was his connection to Las Vegas. Vito Genovese never had that kind of connection.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/22/19 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by JC

Part of his income was receiving skim money from Las Vegas. One of the reasons he was moved up to underboss and acting boss was his connection to Las Vegas. Vito Genovese never had that kind of connection.

How does skim money work? Is it like that scene in casino when the guy goes in the back and just puts a bunch of money in the suitcase? Or did Catena have a bigger(or smaller) skim operation than that? I know he was on the board for Bally’s so I’m sure he made a fortune from stock options.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/22/19 01:59 AM

It must’ve been a challenge for a lot of mafiosi to look for business opportunities that could replace the profits of drug trafficking. Casso(who was involved with drug trafficking) actually said that the gas scam made more money than drugs when it was up and running. Franzese said the same. I guess it’s all about being creative and being able to invest as well as diversify and legitimize your money.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/22/19 02:45 AM

A lot of the times the #'s can be confusing
I.E. when you read about the MOB ON WALLSTREET and a $30MM scam what that means is that investors in total lost $30MM that is not what O.C. made, on a scam like that they usually made $9MM

The same goes with sports books when the feds say $10MM sports book the guys running those books did not make $10MM
Gamblers waged $10MM in bets, some won, some lost
I.E. a gambler bets $1,000 on 8 sunday games wins 4, loses 4, the book made the vig however, that was $8K in bets

Especially when the #'s we get are from the feds they always inflate their #'s it makes cases look bigger
Posted By: MightyDR

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/22/19 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by JC

How does skim money work? Is it like that scene in casino when the guy goes in the back and just puts a bunch of money in the suitcase? Or did Catena have a bigger(or smaller) skim operation than that? I know he was on the board for Bally’s so I’m sure he made a fortune from stock options.

In The Godfather Garden by Richard Linnett has a great chapter on Catena. According to FBI reports based on bugs in mobster's offices, Catena's take of the Vegas skim was about $120,000 a month in the early 60s. He bragged on a bug that Runyon sales, his coin operated machine business, was doing about $20 million a year in business. He also had interests in all sorts of legitimate businesses over the years plus illegal gambling operations. One report I read said he and Joe Adonis made $120,000 in 1946 from just one illegal casino they had going. The FBI estimated that his personal assets exceeded $50 million.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/24/19 03:32 AM

Back in that time period he was worth $50 million? That would probably make him richer than any boss in America at that time. Maybe even more than Gambino. Wonder what his estate would be worth today assuming it kept growing and everything was adjusted for inflation.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/24/19 03:36 AM

I had a conversation on this site about the American mobsters vs the drug kingpins of America during the 70s/80s. It seemed like most people agreed that the top drug guys actually made a lot more money than the top mob guys, but the top mob guys had more power and lasted a little longer. But it sounds like Catena was maybe making drug kingpin type money.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/24/19 03:40 AM

Catena also had stock in Standard Oil, Bally's, Hellman's and Scopitone juke boxes. As far as casinos I think that he also had an interests in Cuba. He had enough that he didn't need to be boss, kind of like Costello I think that he just took it because he was the best option at the time, not because he was particularly power hungry.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/24/19 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by JC
Catena also had stock in Standard Oil, Bally's, Hellman's and Scopitone juke boxes. As far as casinos I think that he also had an interests in Cuba. He had enough that he didn't need to be boss, kind of like Costello I think that he just took it because he was the best option at the time, not because he was particularly power hungry.

Didn’t he own a lot of shares in the A&P as well?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 01/24/19 03:49 AM

I had a conversation on this site about the American mobsters vs the drug kingpins of America during the 70s/80s. It seemed like most people agreed that the top drug guys actually made a lot more money than the top mob guys, but the top mob guys had more power and lasted a little longer. But it sounds like Catena was maybe making drug kingpin type money.

I’m sure there are also other mobsters who also made money like this as well. Such as Gambino, Castellano, Costello, Lombardozzi, Galante, Conte, maybe Lucchese, and the list goes on.
Posted By: Quiet_Doms

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 04/14/19 05:03 AM

hey Serp! your absolutely right. had Quack Quack not have gotten caught up in those wiretaps, Big Paul wouldn’t have been hit. Paulie would’ve gotten sentenced in Fall of 86’ then the Bergin crew move on Gambino & Billoti. i doubt the Chin would put up such a fuss for them two.
Posted By: Jamesbontate33

Re: Genovese crime family height of power - 04/15/19 12:12 AM

Well put. With all the rats , court cases and drama you never really hear about the Genovese family. I'd have to say there at the height of there power now , especially since the other family's have been decimated by l.e . They deft are taking advantage of the situation in nyc
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET