Home

Anyone read 'Lansky' by Hank Messick?

Posted By: night_timer

Anyone read 'Lansky' by Hank Messick? - 08/14/18 10:41 AM

Has anyone read Hank Messick's book called 'Lansky', which details Jewish links to OC in the US?

I was watching YouTube when this video on the book/topic popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMbw5X_eeJg
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Anyone read 'Lansky' by Hank Messick? - 08/14/18 05:23 PM

Messick wrote that Lansky was "the Boss of the Eastern Syndicate and probably the biggest man in organized crime today [1965]. Lansky's wealth is reliably estimated at $300 million." Both were wild exaggerations. Lansky had an excellent biographer, Robert Lacey, who wrote an outstanding bio, "Little Man - Meyer Lansky and the Gangster Life," in 1991. Lacey did the research and learned that Lansky was worth no more than $5-6 million at his peak--not chickenfeed then or now, but hardly the stuff of $300 million. As for being "the boss of the Eastern Syndicate," Lacey notes that the reason Lansky died peacefully in his bed at age 81 was that he was "the accountant, never the boss." Lanksy was influential with other mobsters and with politicians. But he never had the big organization, the power, or the wealth that so often incur jealousy and envy--always lethal among Mafiosi.
Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto

Re: Anyone read 'Lansky' by Hank Messick? - 08/14/18 07:27 PM

I have to agree with Turnbull. Messick was a great writer, but the information he came up with wasn't very good. It was obvious he enjoyed exaggerating. Lansky was an interesting character, but he was hardly a genius.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Anyone read 'Lansky' by Hank Messick? - 08/14/18 07:39 PM

Meyer and Lucky taught the world how to eat.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Anyone read 'Lansky' by Hank Messick? - 08/14/18 10:36 PM

Robert Lacey's book was not bad, there is also an updated version with bonus material added.
Posted By: DiLorenzo

Re: Anyone read 'Lansky' by Hank Messick? - 08/15/18 03:37 AM

Probably the worst book I've read !!

I stand corrected...The book I read was ''Little Man''
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET