Home

Vario crew origins

Posted By: OakAsFan

Vario crew origins - 07/01/18 08:04 PM

How did such an uber Harlem/Bronx outfit like the Luccheses end up with the Varrio crew way out in Brooklyn and Queens?

I'm reading Wiseguy again and was just wondering. The book doesn't really go into the Vario crew's formation in the Brownsville area.
Posted By: MightyDR

Re: Vario crew origins - 07/02/18 12:43 AM

Check out Al D'Arco's book. Goes into a lot of mob history. According to what D'Arco learned, there used to be one big mob in Brooklyn and one of the original guys in it was called Turrido Curiale. He became a captain in the Luchese family, presumably because he had mutual interests with Tommy Luchese in the garment business. He made a guy called Joe Schiavo who was Al D'Arco's relative. When Curiale decided to step down, he offered Schiavo the captain spot. But Schiavo didn't want it and told him to give it to Paul Vario, who Schiavo had recruited and sponsored into the family.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Vario crew origins - 07/02/18 03:43 AM

Thanks a bunch . Just the info I was looking for. I've been meaning to read D'Arco's book. I just haven't had much interest in the Lucchese family post Henry Hill. I keep forgetting D'Arco was with the Vario crew. Probably a good read.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET