Home

Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey?

Posted By: night_timer

Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 06/20/18 11:58 PM

I saw a TV documentary called 'Seventies' about life in the US during the 1970s. There was a piece on Joe Coffey being the NYPD chief investigator of the 'Son of Sam' (David Berkowitz) serial killing spree in New York City. Coffey did a lot of mob related investigations, too. Which were his biggest cases?
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 06/21/18 01:34 AM

Joe Coffey was big in the mob investigations. He was at the scenes of mickey spillane and carmine galante murders. Also was an arresting officer if castellano and gotti
Posted By: jace

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 06/21/18 01:52 AM

Coffey was hated by a lot of detectives and fellow police officers for stealing the spotlight often. He also claimed credit for hard work put in by others, such as in the Son of Sam case. He was super media friendly, and never turned down an interview in order to promote himself. His second book also got many who had once supported him to turn on him.
Posted By: Beenaround

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 06/21/18 07:26 PM

Cops like this would tip off the media so their faces would be in the papers..Ego trips..As if they did all the work..
Posted By: DiLorenzo

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 06/21/18 08:33 PM

He was the commander of the organized crime squad....That's what all commanders do, take the credit for what the rank and file guys do, he was no different and he was a great interview !!
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 06/21/18 08:58 PM

He denied it, but does anyone believe he put the cigar in Galante's mouth?

I like to believe someone, no matter what they did in life, wouldn't have their body desecrated after they die.

And it would have tainted an iconic picture!
Posted By: fergie

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 06/22/18 12:49 AM

Coffey has been done to death on here....good cop, then fell into a media trap basicallly.....
Posted By: DiLorenzo

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 06/22/18 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
He denied it, but does anyone believe he put the cigar in Galante's mouth?

!

I'd bet the house that Coffey did it !!

Who cares, it made an iconic photo that would have made Galante proud !!
Posted By: MightyDR

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 06/22/18 08:31 AM

I read his book not too long ago. He said he found out a guy called Joe the Blonde was the one who really killed Albert Anastasia but annoyingly didn't go into anymore detail. Was part of the Roy DeMeo case too. Also a murder Funzi Tieri was involved in but I can't remember the details.
Posted By: jace

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/27/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by MightyDR
I read his book not too long ago. He said he found out a guy called Joe the Blonde was the one who really killed Albert Anastasia but annoyingly didn't go into anymore detail. Was part of the Roy DeMeo case too. Also a murder Funzi Tieri was involved in but I can't remember the details.

I think Joe the Blond was Crazy Joe Gallo's real nickname
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/27/18 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by jace

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/27/18 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Binnie_Coll
Originally Posted by jace

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/27/18 04:53 AM

yes it was.
Posted By: streetbossliborio

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/27/18 05:31 PM

This guy is brilliant on those old documentarys. He has a genuine hatred for the mobsters too and thinks they’re morons. Funny interview.
Posted By: Louiebynochi

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/28/18 03:25 AM

Joe The Blonde-Joseph Biondo. Carlo Gambinos first Underboss
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/28/18 03:48 AM

Coffey told a story about how he and some cops visited with Castellano to ask him to call off the so-called contract on Joe Pistone. According to Coffey, Castellano did. Then, he said, Castellano invited him to his daughter's wedding. Yeah, right...

I never believed that the Commission put a price on Pistone's head. And if they did, NYPD wouldn't have intervened--no love lost between them and the FBI.
Posted By: MightyDR

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/28/18 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Louiebynochi
Joe The Blonde-Joseph Biondo. Carlo Gambinos first Underboss

Thanks Louiebynochi. That makes sense he was behind it.
Posted By: TonyG

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/28/18 07:42 PM

Coffey gives a very good rendition of John Gotti's degenerate gambling. My recollection is Coffey and the cops are listening to Gotti on wire. Gotti was bitching about losing every single NFL bet one weekend and in frustration yells, "God is a fag!". Coffey said Gotti and his crew would bet on 2 cockroaches walking across the room or climbing a wall.

Coffey gave good interviews and usually made me laugh.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/28/18 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by TonyG
Coffey gives a very good rendition of John Gotti's degenerate gambling. My recollection is Coffey and the cops are listening to Gotti on wire. Gotti was bitching about losing every single NFL bet one weekend and in frustration yells, "God is a fag!". Coffey said Gotti and his crew would bet on 2 cockroaches walking across the room or climbing a wall.

I wonder if there is any correlation between calling God a fag and dying of an extremely aggressive and painful cancer at a young age?
Posted By: TonyG

Re: Retired NYPD cop Joe Coffey? - 08/28/18 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
Originally Posted by TonyG

I wonder if there is any correlation between calling God a fag and dying of an extremely aggressive and painful cancer at a young age?

Moe, it's called karma. lol
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET