Home

Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too

Posted By: furio_from_naples

Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/06/18 04:45 PM

https://www.cosanostranews.com/2011/02/gangsters-are-decorated-war-vets-too.html

Matthew Ianniello joined army in WW2 and received a Purple Heart and a bronze star;
Carlo Mastrototaro, joined the United States Marine Corps in 1939 and won the Silver Star and for bravery and a Purple Heart for being wounded during the Battle of Saipan. He was mustered out of the Marines in 1944. His unit was virtually wiped out in the Battle of Iwo Jima. He later was a founder of the Worcester chapter of the Marine Corps League;
Pete Tamburello,Korean veteran;
John "Johnny Green" Faraci,bonanno made man, landed at Normandy in 1944 and earned himself a Bronze Star for having fought Hitler's Wehrmacht across Europe.
George Barone,served in the navy in Guam, Saipan, Leyte, Luzon, and Iwo Jima;
Venero Frank "Benny Eggs" Mangano served as a bomber tail gunner with the United States Army Air Corps in Europe and was decorated with a Distinguished Flying Cross (for "heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in an aerial flight") and an Air Medal with four Oak Leaf Clusters and three Battle Stars;
Steve “The Rifleman” Flemmi, a Whitey Bulger associate and quite lethal mob killer, actually got his nickname not from his work on the street but rather in reference to his stint as a sharpshooter in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He enlisted at age 17 and served two tours of duty with the 187th Infantry Regiment and won both the Silver and Bronze Stars;

Any mbsters veterans of Vietnam and Afghanistan and Iraq wars ?
Posted By: BlackFamily

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/06/18 05:48 PM

Furio,
I think about every major crime group/ gang in the US from 1% Clubs to Street Gangs have serviceman in their membership past & present. Nothing too special about it.
Posted By: pmac

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/06/18 05:57 PM

yaeh back in ww2 you had to go to war i think , rite? theres probaly hundred made guys back then that were in ww2. not saying there all purple heart heros or invasion of normandy but back then there was no way around it and that goes to vietnam early 70tys. jerry angulio was a fighter pilot in ww2 it didnt help him when the judge gave him 45 yrs in the feds it was also differnt back in 1985. i think he wore he uniform to court once or twice i could also be making that up.

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/06/18 05:58 PM

there was also tons of made guys/ww2 who just never got busted and dragged threw the newspappers like all the above.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/06/18 06:04 PM

Gerry Angiulo was a Navy vet of WWII as well.

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/06/18 06:21 PM

i think 1 or 2 of his brothers were to, what were the old time rules for war recruiting they wouldnt take a only son or the youngest family memeber?
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/07/18 05:32 PM

It wasn't like they were going to get anything good for fighting for america

They have more reason to break the law than anybody
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/07/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by pmac
i think 1 or 2 of his brothers were to, what were the old time rules for war recruiting they wouldnt take a only son or the youngest family memeber?

I don't think that came in effect until after WWII. Used to anyone could go and then the youngest surviving son couldn't go.
Posted By: joestrong

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/07/18 11:56 PM

Francis "Faffy" Iannarella from Philadelphia is a Vietnam Veteran.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/08/18 12:31 AM

Montiglio
Posted By: bronx

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 05/08/18 12:31 AM

joe marino" oxie" ww2
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 10/06/18 11:11 AM

In 1978, Cammarano Jr. joined the navy and served on a nuclear submarine in an elite patrol unit that conducted classified missions.
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 10/07/18 12:14 PM

From just before WW2 to the early 70s young men were required to serve. (Unless their family had lots of money to pay a doctor for a medical excuse) So mobsters are no more patriotic than any other group. Most men who came of age from 1940s to early 70s did at least 2 years.
Posted By: jace

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 10/08/18 02:39 AM

Matthew Ianniello's war record was written about, he went through enemy fire to save a group he was in. He also once saved the life of a corrections officer when in prison.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 10/09/18 11:59 AM

I'm currently reading LA Confidential by James Ellroy. Johnny Stompanato is a character in it. The book describes him as handsome and it's not lying; looked him up on Wikipedia, he served with the marines in Okinawa. He was stabbed to death by actress Lana Turner's daughter, Cheryl Crane, in what was ruled a justifiable homicide after she saved her mother from one of Stomp's trademark beatings.
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 10/11/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by jace
Matthew Ianniello's war record was written about, he went through enemy fire to save a group he was in.

Yes he was a brave man. There were thousands of other guys who sacrificed (some even their lives!) whose names we will never know.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Cosa Nostra Has Decorated War Vets Too - 11/30/18 11:36 PM

Rocky Infelice served in WWII as a paratrooper
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET