Home

Plea deal in Merlino case

Posted By: Beenaround

Plea deal in Merlino case - 03/30/18 04:01 PM

According to the NY Daily News, Joe Merlino has inked a plea deal..Scheduled for April 27..No other information about plea.
Posted By: BensonHURST

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/17/18 03:04 AM

Any new updated on this?
Posted By: Jeremythejew

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/17/18 03:56 AM

10-17 months i believe? he agreed to plead guilty

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/17/18 07:04 PM

Can they use the guilty as a predicate act I a future case?
Posted By: pmac

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/17/18 07:10 PM

i wonderd that. say down the road they indict merlino uncle ect in philly federal court there the philly family i dont think they could or would use a gambling charge out of the bronx. that was the east coast enterprise.
Posted By: Biggie

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/17/18 07:32 PM

plea to gambling, guidelines are up to 24 months, judge will sentence him to whatever he feels is right...the unofficial plea the prosecutor and defense attorneys have agreed on is anywhere between 10 months to 20 months, depending on the source..judge can do whatever he wants, in most cases judge takes the deal the sides made into heavy consideration, but you never know, he could sentence the full 24 months, or even more if he wants to..but yes,the consense is the please is 10 to 20 months

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/18/18 05:41 AM

Another W
For Merlino
24 months is like weekend for him.

He will still earn,
Nothing will be disrupted

The feds were.hoping to take him off the street for 15 years.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/18/18 04:41 PM

I seriously doubt he would admit guilt if they could use the plea against him in a RICO case. He probably has assurances
Posted By: Holyoke

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/18/18 04:49 PM

Would he be on supervised release when he gets out?
Posted By: WhackWhack

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/18/18 05:08 PM

Ah the good old Life on Installment plan. Yes we know Skinny Joey should be in prison with LWoP. But this most recent case is A joke, if you win fair and square you deserve your freedom.
Posted By: The_Rooster

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/18/18 08:16 PM

Bensonhurst, do not speculate or assume he will earn because you know who may be watching this thread too wondering how you have any insight into Joeys situation when he goes to jail.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/18/18 09:51 PM

He will have spent almost half of his adult life in prison. His lifestyle must be really worth it to him.
Posted By: Blackjack2121

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/18/18 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
He will have spent almost half of his adult life in prison. His lifestyle must be really worth it to him.

He has probably lived better than you in one weekend than you have your entire life. You sit on a mob forum cracking corny jokes that nobody has ever laughed at all day long.

Your lifestyle must really be worth it!
Posted By: SC

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/19/18 12:49 AM

Blackjack earned himself another vacation for flaming. He'll have one more chance to be a decent guy on these boards when he returns.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/20/18 06:01 AM

Rooster, forget that guy Move on.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/22/18 01:46 PM

What is flaming?
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/23/18 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by BensonHURST
What is flaming?

It's when you take the "One Eyed Meat Bus" up the Hershey Highway, if that helps any.
Posted By: SC

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/23/18 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by njcapo35
Originally Posted by BensonHURST
What is flaming?

It's when you take the "One Eyed Meat Bus" up the Hershey Highway, if that helps any.

Flaming is making rude and/or insulting messages designed to make the recipient answer in the same manner. In other words, it's a way somebody looks to start a fight on the internet. Since flaming inevitably disrupts the GBB we don't allow it here at all.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/23/18 10:59 PM

Mayo face on twitter saying there rounding up the bookies for a federal grand jury. Ricos coming. Think the board overlooked like 6months ago mayo was saying another member had flipped and was working with the feds. Think he was fed that but didnt really no if it was true. Then we find out that guy was recording every drug deal in south jersey.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/23/18 11:02 PM

Also think one of the south philly guys would have reached out to george of the record say a.p isnt a made guy hes not with us. Since noone did i think he was a made guy. They talk to george alot.
Posted By: Serpiente

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/24/18 11:55 AM

You are hearing right about the rounding up ! Pmac and they be.en making guys all along but this is one I did not expect.
Posted By: Louiebynochi

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/24/18 01:10 PM

There’s a grand Jury sitting in Philadelphia right now. Bookies paying street tax being called to testify. Mob Leadership going to be indicted
Posted By: DanteMoltisanti

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/24/18 01:44 PM

Wonder what kind of charges besides bookmaking the Grand Jury is hearing?

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/24/18 02:03 PM

extortion, loansharking, fraud etc,

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/24/18 03:11 PM

Wonder if they’re hearing testimony regarding the recent Philly LCN hits.....

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/24/18 05:28 PM

reminds me of when in mid 90tys they sent all the bookies to a grand jury in boston. they charged them all with money laundering and tax evasion so they flipped and told on the guys they were paying rent to. whitey fleemi and a few lcn guys.
Posted By: sittite

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/24/18 07:06 PM

Sounds like maybe the Feds went along w/the plea deal more or less to keep Joey tied up until they can drop this hammer down on him.....guys like Borgesi who already did a ton of time must be heated.
Posted By: Giacomo

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/24/18 07:22 PM

If they're bringing in the bookies we're going to see some guys who skated under the radar get caught up....the Wags brothers, Lancelotti and his nephew, etc.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/24/18 08:24 PM

Feds let Joey plead to house arrest ,cause they can use the guilty plea as a Rico predicate. Means the feds just need one more proven rico predicate to convict him of racketeering. Also beleive they want him out on the street because guys are wearing wires.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 12:17 AM

Im not 100 percent sure they can use the plea, not saying they cant,.just not sure..if someone wearing wire on him then they got him and wouldnt have to keep him in street..someone above alluded to lance nephew getting wrapped in? I ask..for what exactly?
Posted By: Ravens410

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Louiebynochi
Feds let Joey plead to house arrest ,cause they can use the guilty plea as a Rico predicate. Means the feds just need one more proven rico predicate to convict him of racketeering. Also beleive they want him out on the street because guys are wearing wires.

Where are you getting your info from? Not doubting you but I don’t see Joey taking a plea knowing they can use it as Rico predicate
Posted By: azguy

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 01:18 AM

Joey is screwed, they have wanted him for 20 years, they'll get him one way or another. They didn't let him plead so they could go lick their wounds, this seems well planned.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 02:27 AM

As guy, yup, but I feel those are 2 independent things..they will get him..but they won’t use this plea as a predicate act

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ravens410
Not doubting you but I don’t see Joey taking a plea knowing they can use it as Rico predicate

Agreed. Would be a stupid move by him and his lawyer, and his lawyer seems too sharp for something this dumb.
Posted By: Belmont

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 02:12 PM

Whatever he pleads to would have to be exempt from any future rico case. Example, spitting on a side walk could never be used as part of a rico case irregardless of any previous convictions or crimes.
Im quite sure Merlino’s lawyers are very cognizant of that. If they can ever prove Merlino is getting cash kicked up to him as a leader or even part of a criminal enterprise, he will be history. Same goes for him being caught merely giving an “ OK “ to commit a crime. He better learn sign language.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 02:43 PM

Right on Belmont no way Eddie and company are letting something like that slip by and if it was part of it Skinny would sit five years before any RICO could be hooked in .
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 05:51 PM

The philly mob probably secretly want merlino to retire or go to jail

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Serpiente
Right on Belmont no way Eddie and company are letting something like that slip by and if it was part of it Skinny would sit five years before any RICO could be hooked in .

prior convictions, taken pursuant to plea agreements, can be used as predicate offenses to support a RICO charge without running afoul of the Double Jeopardy Clause.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 08:03 PM

puts on my internet lawyer hat. ok. if they cahrge merlino in philly as the head of the philly family its a philly rico enetrprise? the gambling case in new york was part of a different enterprise the east coast thing. i dont think it can cross over. it would be like john gotti head of the gambino

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 08:29 PM

could also be charged as the head of the luchese family cause they had joint operations.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 08:30 PM

i dont know its a head scratcher.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 08:46 PM

louiebynochi, in theory yes..in some cases yes...in this case..no..and pmac has a good explanation as to wise...as well as the others saying jacobs wouldnt plead him out if that was the case

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 10:33 PM

There’s no theory. It’s the law. They can legally roll this into another RICO indictment and they’re already halfway to convict him because they need 2 Rico predicates to convict of Racketeering. The jury voted 10-2 for conviction. He plead guilty because he would have been probably convicted and received 20 years. He plead guilty to gambling as part of the East coast Lcn. NOT the Philadelphia LCN. There’s no interpretation. THEY 1000% can used this. Besides th Jeopardy of a retrial he plead guilty to also avoid the Millions it would have cost for a retrial.
Posted By: Wilson101

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 11:48 PM

A lot of people are running for cover in south philly but its probably too late... Big headlines coning

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/25/18 11:53 PM

Also as far as the merlino argument.. Just my opinion but wether he was aware or not about it being used as a rico predicate I dont think he had much choice. Take the good plea deal because the case was weak or roll the dice again with the 12 idiots on the jury. I doubt the feds are making any concessions to him for future cases lol, and he had to take the deal or they retry. That's it

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/26/18 03:20 AM

Mayne they can use it, maybe they cant..i just.dont see the feds.using this dope.rat in a real.major.rico.case.in philly against him, hence the gambling charge wont be used against.him...vegas, ya , thet gave him a sweetheart deal.time wise, either u roll the dice and get 20, or take the deal. No brainer

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/26/18 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Louiebynochi
There’s no theory. It’s the law. They can legally roll this into another RICO indictment and they’re already halfway to convict him because they need 2 Rico predicates to convict of Racketeering. The jury voted 10-2 for conviction. He plead guilty because he would have been probably convicted and received 20 years. He plead guilty to gambling as part of the East coast Lcn. NOT the Philadelphia LCN. There’s no interpretation. THEY 1000% can used this. Besides th Jeopardy of a retrial he plead guilty to also avoid the Millions it would have cost for a retrial.

Thanks Louie
Posted By: Ted

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 01:37 AM

According to GL, Merlino is pleading guilty to one count of placing bets via the Internet. Good luck trying to use that as a predicate act in a case involving the Philly family..
Posted By: sbhc

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 02:12 AM

How is Merlino's heath?

Doing time with a heart problem doesn't sound nice.
Posted By: Slimshady

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 02:28 AM

Hate to break it to the people supporting skinny joey but chances are he’ll die in prison. With the philly mob set to get an indictment soon its inevitable that hes gunna get a heavy sentence

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 03:01 PM

Pled out sentencing sept 13, restrictions removed until then

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 07:24 PM

According to Dave S, Joey pled out to a two year fed bid for placing a bet over the phone. I’m very surprised, anyone have any reasoning for this?

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 07:45 PM

I believe prosecutors asked for a 10 to 16 month sentence..guideliens for judge are up to 2 years

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 07:45 PM

According to Dave S, Joey pled out to a two year fed bid for placing a bet over the phone. I’m very surprised, anyone have any reasoning for this?

That is NOT a predicate act and cannot be used as part of a rico. Its akin to placing a bet over the phone for the Eagles to win by 7 points.
24 months is a heavy bid for that.. normally its 6 months. Although the feds rarely give 6 month sentences.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Belmont

That is NOT a predicate act and cannot be used as part of a rico. Its akin to placing a bet over the phone for the Eagles to win by 7 points.
24 months is a heavy bid for that.. normally its 6 months. Although the feds rarely give 6 month sentences.

Thanks Belmont. So, is it definite that he’s doing two years or does the judge still have to sentence him?

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 08:14 PM

We tried to tell everyone he's NOT going to plead out to something that can be used in a RICO case. Dude and his lawyer are not that stupid.
Posted By: Barracuda

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 10:13 PM

http://www.fox29.com/news/local-news/reputed-mob-boss-joey-merlino-pleads-guilty-avoids-retrial

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 10:56 PM

When you plead out to 24 months, its up to 24 months, he can get 18 or 20 months. The judge could deviate and give 30 months.
Usually they follow the prosecutors and deal.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by dixiemafia
We tried to tell everyone he's NOT going to plead out to something that can be used in a RICO case. Dude and his lawyer are not that stupid.

That’s what I said but someone else said that they could ! So what’s the deal Eddie is not” stupid but how can he know some ex junkie was wired up for years.
Posted By: Ted

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/27/18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Belmont
When you plead out to 24 months, its up to 24 months, he can get 18 or 20 months. The judge could deviate and give 30 months.
Usually they follow the prosecutors and deal.

18 U.S. Code § 1084 - Transmission of wagering information; penalties

Whoever being engaged in the business of betting or wagering knowingly uses a wire communication facility for the transmission in interstate or foreign commerce of bets or wagers or information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers on any sporting event or contest, or for the transmission of a wire communication which entitles the recipient to receive money or credit as a result of bets or wagers, or for information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.
Posted By: WhackWhack

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/28/18 05:37 AM

At what point do throw in the towel and give up? He has to have enough $ squirreled away or on the street to cash in eventually to be able to live the rest of his days in relative luxury...can't spend your millions in prison. Just step down and be happy with the 1-2 mil in liquid cash he probably has put aside. Yeah you can't live like a king anymore but he's closer to 60 then 50 now. He can still have a upper middle class lifestyle and never have to worry about money again AND still leave a good enough envelope for his kids when he passes.
Posted By: blueracing347

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/28/18 05:45 AM

Not this guy. Asideb from Scarfo, was there ever another boss driving around in a Bentley or Rolls? That's the kinda guy they're dealing with. It would be nice to see him bloody the streets of Philly one more time. Just start whacking anyone ever suspected as a rat. And then send his ass away.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/28/18 03:16 PM

Retire? Whats this, the navy?

https://youtu.be/bu7xvQYpC88

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/28/18 06:05 PM

Yea I doubt Merlino has anything stored away. With his lifestyle and the way he gambles?

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/28/18 06:24 PM

my opinion hes lucky if he makes a half a mill. seeing baby shacks in providence had a nice scam he had like 5 strip clubs every one in rhode island paying him 3000 a month and he had his guys working doors ect. he had that shit since the 80tys. but then you had his underboss big cheese go down for taking 500 bucks a month from a huge bookie. the bookie didnt even roll on him and got like 15yrs for bookie shit and he burned his bar down aurthur gianelli or something like that. this guy was a huge bookie only had to give 500 amonth and a xmis bonus whatever that is idk im guessing 5k maybe less. what do you do with all that cash like you said irs would dig up his yards weekly. lawyers cost him a half a mil. 500k is nothing to sneeze at. his top capos probaly bring him 5 10 k here and there.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/28/18 08:15 PM

Im sure Joey makes some cash but lmao at him having millions stashed away... Guy is a pure degen

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/28/18 08:31 PM

Joey could make more, or less. He could make millions.it wouldn’t matter, he would blow it all by midnite...also, can’t compare joey to carmine in boston, joey first of all, is the real deal..second of all, he’s a movie star, he has legitimate suckers just handing him thousands to hang around, carmine has people handing him soproseddas and cannolis
Posted By: sittite

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/29/18 04:39 PM

Trying to imagine Carmen on South Beach....
Posted By: Barracuda

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/29/18 07:15 PM

I highly doubt Merlinos broke as people say no way was he not getting a nice piece while he was away in the 2000s and with him in jail not spending he probably stashed a nice chunk of that away. His wife also owns 1.3 million plus worth of property. But no way has he earned enough to retire the way he lives i agree on that.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 04/30/18 10:02 PM

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/5-fun-facts-about-skinny-joey-merlino-20180430.html

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 06/26/18 10:26 PM

https://southsidedaily.com/local-ne...e-now-this-man-is-facing-life-in-prison/

Joey Merlino facing life in prison.
Posted By: streetbossliborio

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 06/29/18 12:25 AM

Funny how “young turk” skinny joey is now old
School haha. Approaching 60s with heart issues, served a load of time, been boss for decades, been thru wars and a load of murder attempts. Respected by all families including west side clearly as we see from his latest case. Feds been trying for years and he has avoided getting life miraculously. Still a degen gambler also. When is a movie being made about this guy?! Starting from the first robbery bid. He must be a living legend in mob circles to those guys. Rats like Leonetti insult him in their bios but it screams jealousy to me as he has lived the life as Much as anyone and has clearly had a lot of fun too amongst it all

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 06/29/18 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by streetbossliborio
Funny how “young turk” skinny joey is now old
School haha. Approaching 60s with heart issues, served a load of time, been boss for decades, been thru wars and a load of murder attempts. Respected by all families including west side clearly as we see from his latest case. Feds been trying for years and he has avoided getting life miraculously. Still a degen gambler also. When is a movie being made about this guy?! Starting from the first robbery bid. He must be a living legend in mob circles to those guys. Rats like Leonetti insult him in their bios but it screams jealousy to me as he has lived the life as Much as anyone and has clearly had a lot of fun too amongst it all

The guy has nine lives and has stood up !!! But even though most of these guys are killers and thieves the ones with any class or any morals or respect for there life did not hurt woman and children directly I would not put him up on any pedestal until you see what he did to regular folks and I don’t mean rackets or a result of a mob hit he does not belong with the guys that played by the rules for most part.

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 06/29/18 05:33 PM

I was reading Blood and Honor and I was struck by how dispassionately Caramandi talked about driving a pharmacist he targeted with a con to suicide.

That shit is just as twisted as putting a knife in somebody.

I found that book way too dense with information so I gave up after twenty or so pages.
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 06/30/18 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
I was reading Blood and Honor and I was struck by how dispassionately Caramandi talked about driving a pharmacist he targeted with a con to suicide.

That shit is just as twisted as putting a knife in somebody.

I found that book way too dense with information so I gave up after twenty or so pages.

Moe..my friend that lives where my parents were born.....THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT....Crows book is one of the best written memoirs of true crime..how in God's name could u not finish a treasure ??...FINISH IT please!! & u call ur self an aficiando?? The Crow is a good story ..Blood & Honor should b made into a movie..I'm sure many would agree..don't tell me ur goin' soft on me , cuz ,& I don't care if u r battin' 4 the other team ( it's been obvious to all the board members) but u MUST finish that book..it's not twisted , it's truth..Crow tells it like it was..1 of my top 3 books ever...out of hundreds ..& I will go so far as 2 say as a former "know some dudes" back in the day, he does not bullshit..he has no reason too...he now wishes things were backward,,meaning ,if it was not 4 Scarfo's treachery ,,he still wishes 2 b in the life ..he was a good soldier, albeit sometimes stupid,but would have remained loyal...& the consummate conman..now , in rural T.N...he is lonely, old, & hopeless w/little income & no piece of ass even though he proclaimes 2 still desire young & pretty things...but he did find an angel 4 his shoulder in a trailer park back in 2003..dont know if their still 2 gether.Poor Crow ..He was a cool dude .
Posted By: streetbossliborio

Re: Plea deal in Merlino case - 06/30/18 09:10 AM

Hoodlum agreed this is one of my favourite books. And yes I remember how the crow said nonchalantly about the pharmacist, chilling. There was also one story about a flim flam he was trying to do on this guy in relation to some baseball cards but the guys lil kid didn’t trust him and wouldn’t give him the money. That was brilliant that kid deserves a medal.

Serp I get what your saying but it seems as though he has won the mob game for the most part at number one for like 20 years+. Not many mob guys have been nearly as successful as that albeit isn’t NY
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET