Home

19 made men hanged in New Orleans

Posted By: Neo

19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 04:51 AM

I remember reading somewhere about 19 made men originally from Sicily getting hanged by the local population in New Orleans sometime in the 1800's for trying to extort local businesses. The bosses back in Sicily realized they couldn't fuck with the local population there and limited their extortion rackets to Italians only.

You would have thought there would have been massive retaliation for so many made guys killed but the Sicilian bosses, showing their shrewdness, ordered the reminding made guys to stay low and that is what they did for 10-15 years before they started to come into their element and form what we now know as the New Orleans family.

Posted By: RollinBones

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 05:22 AM

Lol not sure if I would call that shrewd, they just cut their losses and kept their rackets between other Sicilians. Guess they could have tried to go to war but that would have obviously been a losing battle.
Posted By: BensonHURST

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 05:38 AM

Nothing left from the NO family?
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 05:54 AM

First time i'm hearing about this...
Thanks
Posted By: LurkerGuy

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 06:34 AM

IIRC, it was a turf war between two Sicilian factions, one of which (the Matranga family) would go on to become Carlos Marcello's outfit. Both sides were trying to control Italian stevedores on the "lemon boats", the police chief threw in with one side and got himself killed for his trouble. After a trial in which the jury was widely believed to have been bought off, a mob stormed the jail and killed (shot, not hanged for the most part) the men thought to be the ringleaders.
Posted By: jace

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 07:13 AM

They were not made men, There have been 2 books written on the lynchings. I have read both. The murdered policeman was misquoted as having said "Dagos did it." There was a trail, and they were acquitted. They were still held ,and a lynch mob that was unposed went into the jail and attacked the men. A few may have had mob ties, but most were just immigrants caught in the roundup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_14,_1891,_lynchings

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 07:15 AM

A good read on the story.
https://www.amazon.com/Vendetta-lynching-Italian-Americans-motivations-repercussions/dp/038512273X
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 08:30 AM

This is the story:

In 1891 the NO police chief was killed and 19 italians was charged for the murder. In those time the italians due the black skin was assimilated to the black people and the mafia in the city are divided in two damily the Matrangas and the Provenzanos that was fighting for the city control.
So the italians that wasn't all criminal was lynched as used for the blacks.After the lynching the us government decide to pay 125'000 dollars to the victim's families but only because italy menaced to break the political relations.

The victim's names are:

Antonio Bagnetto, fruit peddler: Tried and acquitted.
James Caruso, stevedore: Not tried.
Loretto Comitz, tinsmith: Not tried.
Rocco Geraci, stevedore: Not tried.
Joseph P. Macheca, fruit importer: Tried and acquitted.
Antonio Marchesi, fruit peddler: Tried and acquitted.
Pietro Monasterio, cobbler: Mistrial.
Emmanuele Polizzi, street vendor: Mistrial.
Frank Romero, ward politician: Not tried.
Antonio Scaffidi, fruit peddler: Mistrial.
Charles Traina, rice plantation laborer: Not tried.

The following people managed to escape lynching by hiding inside the prison:

John Caruso, stevedore: Not tried.
Bastian Incardona, laborer: Tried and acquitted.
Gaspare Marchesi, 14, son of Antonio Marchesi: Tried and acquitted.
Charles Mantranga, labor manager: Tried and acquitted.
Peter Natali, laborer: Not tried.
Charles Pietza (or Pietzo), grocer: Not tried.
Charles Patorno, merchant: Not tried.
Salvatore Sinceri, stevedore: Not tried.

One of the victims, Polizzi, had a police record in the U.S., having reportedly cut a man with a knife in Austin, Texas, several years earlier. Two others had police records in Italy: Geraci had been accused of murder and had fled before he could be tried, and Comitz had been convicted of theft. Incardona was wanted in Italy as a petty criminal.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jace
They were not made men, There have been 2 books written on the lynchings. I have read both. The murdered policeman was misquoted as having said "Dagos did it." There was a trail, and they were acquitted. They were still held ,and a lynch mob that was unposed went into the jail and attacked the men. A few may have had mob ties, but most were just immigrants caught in the roundup.

I guess my memory and imagination played tricks on me. I could have sworn how I told the story is exactly how I remember it, even with the Sicilian bosses and everything.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Neo

I guess my memory and imagination played tricks on me. I could have sworn how I told the story is exactly how I remember it, even with the Sicilian bosses and everything.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hennessy

Your memore is right;hennessy the police chief arrested many Provenzano and Matrangas men and was credibile that the killers was italians but a witness said that before died hennessy say "Dago do it" but another witness said the opposite anyway the hate against the italians was so high that the lynching was inevitable.
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 04:53 PM

Not sure what is left of a NO mob...here's an article from 2014 about a "sniper van" believed to be associated with the mob...

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/07/sniper_van_found_in_metairie_b.html
Posted By: Stubbs

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 09:53 PM

After the townspeople stormed the jail and lynched the Italians, there was a huge outcry from the Italian government to the US government. It was apparently a huge international incident. Italy threatened to stop the flow of migrants to the US if the US didn't clamp down on the vigilante justice. The US was benefitting heavily from the huge flow of unskilled labor during this time period from Southern Italy and Sicily (my ancestors included).

The New Orleans mob was also apparently the first Italian mafia family in the US.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times
Not sure what is left of a NO mob...here's an article from 2014 about a "sniper van" believed to be associated with the mob...

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/07/sniper_van_found_in_metairie_b.html

New Orleans is completely defunct and has been for a generation. Marcello didn't really bring any new recruits into the family and most of his most powerful allies in the family were his own blood family (brothers, etc). This seems to coincide (coincidentally?) with the Five Families ban on making new made members from the 50s through the 70s (if memory serves me correctly). By the time New York opened the books, Marcello probably didn't feel the need.. or was under investigation by then.

By the time Marcello got his big jail sentence in the early eighties New Orleans was essentially done. From an old New York Times article in 1990:

At the age of 80, Carlos Marcello is free on parole. But the crime group that he headed in New Orleans for 35 years is in tatters.

"The all-powerful Godfather is gone, and so is his organization," said Rafael C. Goyenche, the managing director of the Metropolitan Crime Commission in New Orleans, a civic crime-monitoring agency.

New Orleans, with a 100-year history of organized crime gangs, had the oldest Mafia tradition in the country. Mr. Marcello, experts said, controlled the city's Mafia for 30 years until his conviction in 1983 for trying to bribe a Federal judge. After six and a half years in prison, and in poor health, he was paroled last year.

With about 12 members, Mr. Marcello headed the smallest Cosa Nostra family in the country and the organization disintegrated after his conviction. "He didn't make any new members; he didn't train anyone" Mr. Salerno explained. "He wanted to run everything himself."

In the early 1990s the few remaining members, led by new boss Anthony Carolla, tried teaming up with JoJo Corrozo and the Gambinos on some gaming scam in Louisiana involving video poker (if I remember correctly), but the FBI had the whole thing bugged and they never had a chance to pull it off. Source. There's been no OC-related cases in Nola since then (no racketeering, illegal gambling, loan sharking, drugs, etc.) as far as I've seen.

The sniper van seems to be a total joke. Likely some out of touch guys way past their prime trying to pretend they're still relevant and trying to relive their glory days. From author Scott Deitche:

While the true purpose may never come to light, it’s safe to say it probably did not foretell the rebirth of the New Orleans Mafia, a crime family that was decimated by increased law enforcement pressure and the inevitable march of time.

Again, there doesn't seem to be any actual OC-related cases since that video poker case in 1993.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Neo

Your memory is great Neo, it's the story that has different versions. I see a third book about what happened was published, since this discussion I now want to read it. An unusual side note is that the professor who wrote one of the books has the last name Gambino. One of my college professors told me of meeting the author many years ago. Before they were introduced, he was going to ask him if he had any relationship to Carlo Gambino. He asked the person who was about to introduce them about it, and got a stern look. After the intro, he was told that the man HATED it when he was asked that question. There was no relationship, he was just tired of being asked it, and took it as an insult.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/08/18 10:14 PM

[quote=furio_from_naples]This is the story:

In 1891 the NO police chief was killed and 19 italians was charged for the murder. In those time the italians due the black skin was assimilated to the black people and the mafia in the city are divided in two damily the Matrangas and the Provenzanos that was fighting for the city control.
So the italians that wasn't all criminal was lynched as used for the blacks.After the lynching the us government decide to pay 125'000 dollars to the victim's families but only because italy menaced to break the political relations.

The victim's names are:

Antonio Bagnetto, fruit peddler: Tried and acquitted.
James Caruso, stevedore: Not tried.
Loretto Comitz, tinsmith: Not tried.
Rocco Geraci, stevedore: Not tried.
Joseph P. Macheca, fruit importer: Tried and acquitted.
Antonio Marchesi, fruit peddler: Tried and acquitted.
Pietro Monasterio, cobbler: Mistrial.
Emmanuele Polizzi, street vendor: Mistrial.
Frank Romero, ward politician: Not tried.
Antonio Scaffidi, fruit peddler: Mistrial.
Charles Traina, rice plantation laborer: Not tried.

The following people managed to escape lynching by hiding inside the prison:

John Caruso, stevedore: Not tried.
Bastian Incardona, laborer: Tried and acquitted.
Gaspare Marchesi, 14, son of Antonio Marchesi: Tried and acquitted.
Charles Mantranga, labor manager: Tried and acquitted.
Peter Natali, laborer: Not tried.
Charles Pietza (or Pietzo), grocer: Not tried.
Charles Patorno, merchant: Not tried.
Salvatore Sinceri, stevedore: Not tried.

"In those time the italians due the black skin was assimilated to the black people "

I saw sketches of the men, they did not look Black at all.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/09/18 05:17 AM

A lot of Italians have African lineage.
Posted By: Ciment

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/09/18 06:17 AM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162735/

The made a movie called VENDETTA starring with Christoper Walken

Based on a true tale of power, corruption and murder, Christopher Walken stars in the story of the largest lynching in American history...

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/09/18 08:16 AM

Jace in this times who had the olive skin or are less white that wasp men are considered black.

Originally Posted by OakAsFan

Yes but in the last century even in the south the people had the skin more clearer skin.
Posted By: Stubbs

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/09/18 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by furio_from_naples

Jace in this times who had the olive skin or are less white that wasp men are considered black.

Yes but in the last century even in the south the people had the skin more clearer skin.

I think it's mostly North African, right? Like Sicily has a ton of Arab influence which mostly came from North Africa.

Some politician from Palermo recently said Palermo is culturally closer to Tripoli than Frankfurt.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/09/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stubbs

I think it's mostly North African, right? Like Sicily has a ton of Arab influence which mostly came from North Africa.

Some politician from Palermo recently said Palermo is culturally closer to Tripoli than Frankfurt.

It's geography,the Italy is culturally closer which all the mediterranean people due his position.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/09/18 07:07 PM

A lot of the Mediterranean has black lineage. Human life began in Africa. So, the regions closest to the African continent obviously have a lot of African lineage.
Posted By: m2w

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/09/18 07:17 PM

A lot of the Mediterranean has black lineage. Human life began in Africa. So, the regions closest to the African continent obviously have a lot of African lineage.

sicilians are sicilians, the fact that it was an emirate in 800 it doesn't mean nothing, yes, they have some north african lineage, but every country in the world is mixed up more or less

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/09/18 08:52 PM

Italians more so because of their proximity to Africa.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/09/18 10:16 PM

Anyone remember that scene in Tarantino's movie True Romance when Dennis Hopper's character is giving Christopher Walken's character shit by explaining to him why Sicilians are "nig.gers"? Fuck it was funny

Hopper's character was a security guard and Walken's character was a Sicilian mob consigliere.

From True Romance:

"Hundreds and hundreds of years ago, the moors conquered Sicily, and the moors are nig.gers. They did so much fucking with Sicilian woman that they changed the whole bloodline forever"

Just type "true romance sicilian scene" into youtube if you want to see it.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 02:52 AM

You keep repeating this, I assume in an effort to get the Italians here angry. If they fall for the bait and respond in kind, you will then complain they are flaming you.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 03:26 AM

You keep repeating this, I assume in an effort to get the Italians here angry. If they fall for the bait and respond in kind, you will then complain they are flaming you.

What?

Why would saying Italians having African lineage make Italians angry?

a) It's true.

b) there's nothing wrong with it

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 05:26 AM

Dennis Hopper explains everything about the African lineage in Sicilians in this 4:30 minute clip from the movie True Romance....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZMICczOzfQ

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 05:59 AM

What?

a) It's true.

I am not Italian however from all those I have ever spoken with disagree. A few say they are Mediterranean, others say European. I also have seen in your posting history a consistent effort to draw people into disputes.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 11:24 AM

What?

a) It's true.

or C) Italy and all the countries that face the Mediterranean have undergone various influences over the centuries but North Africa is Arab and Muslim and the only Arabs conquered Sicily in 900 AD;

D) Italy having been divided into small states until 1870 didn't have a univocal influence, in Trentino Alto Adige there is a German influence, in the Valle d'Aosta and Piedmont a French influence, in southern Italy we are closer to Spain and even in Sardinia we speak Castilian in certain areas.

So stop say that Italians are african.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Neo
Anyone remember that scene in Tarantino's movie True Romance when Dennis Hopper's character is giving Christopher Walken's character shit by explaining to him why Sicilians are "nig.gers"? Fuck it was funny

Hopper's character was a security guard and Walken's character was a Sicilian mob consigliere.

From True Romance:

"Hundreds and hundreds of years ago, the moors conquered Sicily, and the moors are nig.gers. They did so much fucking with Sicilian woman that they changed the whole bloodline forever"

do you remember the exact part of movie ?

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 08:43 PM

Spain has a lot of African lineage, too, Furio. Since you bring it up.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Neo

From True Romance:

do you remember the exact part of movie ?

I posted the url to the Youtube clip on page one.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 09:28 PM

Southern Italy has also many Greek influences.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 09:38 PM

After the Reconquista ended in 1492 the spanish kings expelled all the muslims. So after 5 centuries the lineage vanished.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 09:42 PM

Oak, Sicily was conquered many times in its history, not just by African nations and Muslims, but by German tribes, Normans, Vikings, Greeks, and others from Northern Europe and the Middle East.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 09:49 PM

"vanished". lol. There is no scientific basis for this claim. Just something a lot of people want to believe, for some reason. All of Europe's southern seaboard has African lineage and influence. It's just geographical common sense.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 09:52 PM

So after 5 centuries the lineage vanished.

No.

After hundreds of years they still carry that nig.ger gene. (Just quoting a scene from True Romance)

Didin't you watch the Youtube clip?

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 10:11 PM

anyway moors (north africans) are not blacks, you are a bit confused

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 10:21 PM

Oak, Sicily was conquered many times in its history, not just by African nations and Muslims, but by German tribes, Normans, Vikings, Greeks, and others from Northern Europe and the Middle East.

you forgot the spanish, sicily/southern italy was under spain kingdom from the ending of 1300 to the ending of 1700
if somebody has really an inluence are the spaniards
but it was a sort of colony, like hong kong for the british, have the hong kong chineses a british lineage?
Posted By: Hollander

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by m2w

you forgot the spanish, sicily/southern italy was under spain kingdom from the ending of 1300 to the ending of 1700
if somebody has really an inluence are the spaniards
but it was a sort of colony, like hong kong for the british, have the hong kong chineses a british lineage?

Bruce Lee did I think.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/10/18 11:58 PM

Naples and everything south of naples upto to Sicily included used to be called the Kingdom of two Sicilies.

The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies lasted from 1815 until 1860, when it was annexed by the Kingdom of Sardinia to form the Kingdom of Italy in 1861. The capitals of the Two Sicilies were in Naples and in Palermo. The kingdom extended over the Mezzogiorno (the southern part of mainland Italy) and the island of Sicily. Jordan Lancaster notes that the integration of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies into the Kingdom of Italy changed the status of Naples forever: "Abject poverty meant that, throughout Naples and Southern Italy, thousands decided to leave in search of a better future." Many went to the United States, Australia and Argentina.[5] The kingdom was heavily agricultural, like the other Italian states;[6] the church owned 50–65% of the land by 1750.[7]

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/11/18 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by m2w

I didn't say they were blacks.

"Hundreds of years ago the moors invaded Sicily, and the moors are nig.gers". (Again, just quoting a scene from True Romance)

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/11/18 02:26 AM

https://www.njitalianheritage.org/w...g-Italian-Americans-and-Mob-Violence.pdf

Italians were lynched in other locations:

New Orleans...........19

St Charles Parish, Louisiana.......6 assaulted 3 killed

Tallulah, Louisiana......lynched 3 men and forced the other 2 Italians who lived in nearby in Milliken's Bend to run for their lives.

Irwin, Mississippi..... killed 2 Italians.

Jackson Parish, Louisiana..........The African Americans looked upon Italian laborers as interlopers who had stolen their jobs from them. A number
of Italians were killed.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/11/18 08:35 AM

All of Europe's southern seaboard has African lineage and influence. It's just geographical common sense.

it's all mixed up anyway, north africa was under roman empire for hundreds years before moors conquered some european zones, so it's not like europe has african inflience it is also the opposite

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/11/18 05:16 PM

The world's a melting pot, that's for sure.

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/12/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Neo
Originally Posted by m2w

"Hundreds of years ago the moors invaded Sicily, and the moors are nig.gers". (Again, just quoting a scene from True Romance)

The face of Gandolfini when the sicilian stay for shoot Dennis Hooper

[Linked Image]

Re: 19 made men hanged in New Orleans - 03/12/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Neo
Originally Posted by m2w

The face of Gandolfini when the sicilian stay for shoot Dennis Hooper

[Linked Image]

I love this scene. The entire scene is about 10 minutes long and starts with the Sicilians ambushing Dennis Hopper at the door and Christopher Walken explains the seventeen pantomines.

Tarantino said it was his second best movie scene he has ever done.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET