Home

Joe Colombo

Posted By: salerno_new_orleans

Joe Colombo - 05/28/17 05:20 AM

Died this week back in 1978. Always wondered where the family might have gone had he not been hit
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Joe Colombo - 05/28/17 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By: salerno_new_orleans
Died this week back in 1978. Always wondered where the family might have gone had he not been hit

Speaking hypothetically,the family wouldn't have become the disaster it is now.Carmine Persico would remained only a capo.Colombo would be the boss until the pizza connection trial in 1985 and would died in prison.I think that after 1985 if persico would be on the street for sure would try to be the boss.
Posted By: CabriniGreen

Re: Joe Colombo - 05/28/17 10:15 AM

Depends on whether or not Franzese still gets the 50 years. Lots of people think the family was setting him up. If he's in good standing, he probably succeeds Colombo, unless someone woulda killed him.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Joe Colombo - 05/28/17 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
Depends on whether or not Franzese still gets the 50 years. Lots of people think the family was setting him up. If he's in good standing, he probably succeeds Colombo, unless someone woulda killed him.

I don't think so because Franzese from 1967 was always on parole due the bank robberies in 1984 he was on the streets but the feds would nail him if would become the boss.
Posted By: MightyDR

Re: Joe Colombo - 05/29/17 11:12 AM

Good question. Lots of things to consider.

At the time he was shot, Joe Colombo was free on bail pending appeal after being sentenced to 2.5 years for perjury, he was under federal indictment for tax evasion, contempt of court and interstate gambling (thanks to Scarpa I believe). So he was potentially facing serious, or at least a decent amount of prison time.

Persico gets out of prison in 1979, does he make a move to become boss in Colombo's absence? Does he make a move to become boss even if Colombo beats all the charges?

Even if things remain stable, Colombo would most likely get caught up in the Commission case and receive 100 years. It's a possibility that a guy with his ego could want to remain the official power and have his son run things, just like Persico did, and this could create a civil war situation just like what happened in real life.

Fun fact: Before going to work for Cantalupo Realty, Colombo was employed for six years as salesman for Pride Wholesale Meat Company, which was controlled by Peter Castellano and Paul Gambino, brother of Carlo Gambino.
http://www.nytimes.com/1971/05/03/archiv...d-of-a-new.html
Posted By: Zavattoni

Re: Joe Colombo - 01/29/18 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by CabriniGreen

@CabriniGreen;

Was wondering how were the Colombo's possibly setting Franzese up? Was he in bad standing?
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Joe Colombo - 01/29/18 03:46 AM

Colombo was Carlo Gambino's guy, so, his fate would hinge on what would have happened with the Gambinos, you have to believe. Who he would have sided with between Dellocrocce/Gotti and Castellano, etc. Of course, this is aside from other mitigating factors, such as being in prison, etc.
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: Joe Colombo - 01/29/18 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zavattoni
Originally Posted by CabriniGreen

@CabriniGreen;

Was wondering how were the Colombo's possibly setting Franzese up? Was he in bad standing?

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question I'm pretty sure he meant setting him up to be the boss not setting him up to be killed.

Re: Joe Colombo - 01/29/18 04:29 AM

@Oak;

You are right; TBH though; I think Sonny Franzese promotion to Boss would have needed plenty of Carlo's Gambino's input but; I don't think Franzese would have been subservient to Carlo in his reign. Sonny didn't seem like the type of person to be under the thumb of another family. Theoretically speaking; I don't know if he would have took Dellacroce/Gotti's side or Castellano's. Anyone know if he had any business or relationship with any of them?

@Micheal

I was under the impression that he was being set up by the Colombo's to spend some time behind bars. Was Franzese a well respected person throughout the Colombo's even though he was in and out of jail? or was he only kept due to supply and demand?
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Joe Colombo - 01/29/18 08:36 AM

Before being shot, Joe Colombo was already looking at some serious time, more than 2.5 years. Al retired to Italy, and Buster turned down the prospect of serving as acting boss, but remain as the Consigliere, even his son Vincent served as acting boss. He did have an ego, and was already planing on making some moves before he would be locked up, on who would run the family, as he was grooming Mike Savino for the position, plus he had Joey Yac (who was close to Carlo Gambino) who would serve as his acting boss when he got locked up. Joe Colombo was more worried about Cammerata in Florida than he was about the Gallo brothers. Sonny was indeed the most likely successor for boss back in 1966 to 1967, then he got locked up and given that 50 year sentence, so Joe talked to Gambino and Carlo said Joe Yac. Carmine Persico would only have remained a Capo, until the 1980's, depending on who was made in the 1970's, and would have been given an administration position, perhaps Consigliere most likely if Colombo was still boss, or underboss if Joe Yac was boss.

Re: Joe Colombo - 01/29/18 08:37 PM

In a Micheal Franzese interview; He says once he became a captain in the early 1980's; he was being groomed alongside Little Allie Boy Persico to become Boss; or Underboss. I never heard of this before.. Was this true? I know Allie Boy was being groomed to become Boss one day, but didn't know about Micheal.

Were Mike and Allie Boy that well respected to overstep most of the older generation who has served the Colombo's for many decades?

Obviously; they were the sons of two most powerful members of the Colombo's ; so the 'being groomed'' part does make sense.

Posted By: MightyDR

Re: Joe Colombo - 01/29/18 10:56 PM

I remember hearing Michael Franzese say he was being groomed to be boss in an interview too. I haven't read anything corroborating this, but it would make sense. He was a major earner, sharp guy and came from "good stock".

Re: Joe Colombo - 01/30/18 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by MightyDR
I remember hearing Michael Franzese say he was being groomed to be boss in an interview too. I haven't read anything corroborating this, but it would make sense. He was a major earner, sharp guy and came from "good stock".

It makes sense; I just don't see a scenario where he becomes Boss.

Too much treachery in that family.
Posted By: F_white

Re: Joe Colombo - 01/30/18 09:50 AM

Never heard that about micheal but with that family u can never know.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET