Home

NYPD Stephen Caracappa DEAD! Mafia Cops Hitmen

Posted By: PaulieSenter

NYPD Stephen Caracappa DEAD! Mafia Cops Hitmen - 04/12/17 12:41 PM

Stephen Caracappa, one of the notorious NYPD “Mafia Cops” who moonlighted as a hitman for the Luchese crime family, has died in federal prison.

Caracappa, 75, who was serving out his sentence at a federal detention center in Butner, N.C., died on April 8, federal prison records show.

Caracappa and his partner, Louis Eppolito, 68, were sentenced to life behind bars in 2009 for committing eight mob-ordered executions between 1986 and 1990.

It’s not clear how he died, but in June 2016, Caracappa petitioned Federal Judge Jack Weinstein, who handed out his life sentence, for “compassionate release.”

Last of NYPD 'Mafia Cops' lawsuits finally settled
“Please know I have been fighting the case in the courts ... I have stage 4 cancer and will not survive,” he pleaded in a handwritten letter to the judge.

Weinstein replied a month later, “There is nothing I can do in your case.”

Stephen Caracappa wrote a letter to Judge Jack Weinstein to seek a "compassionate release" on June 27, 2016.
(BROOKLYN FEDERAL COURT)
Judge Jack Weinstein responds to Caracappa's letter.
(BROOKLYN FEDERAL COURT)
Stephen Caracappa wrote a letter (left) to Judge Jack Weinstein to seek a "compassionate release" on June 27, 2016. (Right) Weinstein responds to Caracappa.
Caracappa and Eppolito earned $4,000 a month on the payroll of Luchese underboss Anthony (Gaspipe) Casso from 1986 to 1990 to orchestrate murders and pass along confidential police information.

The city shelled out $18.4 million to settle seven lawsuits with the families of their victims, who included a diamond dealer the pair kidnapped and murdered, two Gambino made men, two Luchese mobsters and a mob-connected painters' union leader.

New York settles another Mafia Cop suit for $5M
Mafia cop Louis Eppolito (pictured) is still in prison serving a life sentence.
Mafia cop Louis Eppolito (pictured) is still in prison serving a life sentence. (DECRESCENZO,NEIL FREELANCE)
At their sentencing, the son of one of the duo’s victims, Gambino capo Edward Lino, unloaded on the two dirty detectives.

“These two lowlifes shot and killed my father," Vincent Lino said in court, amid cheers. “May you have a long life in prison.”

Eppolito remains locked away in a high-security penitentiary in Tucson.
http://www.nydailynews.com
Posted By: AdamRski

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 01:01 PM

I dislike how they say that he and Eppolito were sentenced for "committing eight mob-ordered executions". I feel like that's somewhat misleading. And I'm pretty sure they were only tied to the deaths of one Gambino made guy. Lino. I assume the other one they're thinking of is Hydell, but we know that's not accurate.

And not to be rude to the son of Eddie Lino, but his father was a gangster, drug dealer and murderer. He wasn't just a nice guy driving around one day who got killed. Doesn't justify it, but in the end he was a gangster who got killed by a couple of gangsters(or guys who liked playing gangsters) who also happened to be cops.
Posted By: BennyB

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 01:38 PM

The book The Good Rat about these guys was really good
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 02:25 PM

Compassionate release ? Fuck you, a cop that betrayl and take orders by a criminal deserve to die in prison.
Posted By: ChiTown

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: BennyB
The book The Good Rat about these guys was really good

One of the best mob books you can read in my opinion.
Posted By: ItalianIrishMix

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 02:56 PM

Wasn't one of their family members involved in LCN?
Not sure if it was Carracapa or Epolitto but, remember reading that one of their fathers or uncle was a member.

Not that it makes their willingness to cross over any better but, not as shocking as it would have been if there was no link and a good cop just decided to sell himself out.
Posted By: Snakes

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 03:04 PM

Eppolito had an uncle and a cousin in the Gambino family. Nino Gaggi had both of them killed.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: ItalianIrishMix
Wasn't one of their family members involved in LCN?
Not sure if it was Carracapa or Epolitto but, remember reading that one of their fathers or uncle was a member.

Not that it makes their willingness to cross over any better but, not as shocking as it would have been if there was no link and a good cop just decided to sell himself out.

Louis Eppolito had a grandfather, father, two uncles, and two cousins that we know about involved with LCN.
Posted By: crazycrip33766

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 04:39 PM

oh of corse Eddie lino kever liker abyone before i his lifeeeee adnnot heroiN deale and how gunn down Pig Paul edie is wass GOOD MAN
Posted By: pmac

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 04:56 PM

Was a very shaky case against these two. They were crooked but hitmen idk. I would have been hung up.

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: pmac
Was a very shaky case against these two. They were crooked but hitmen idk. I would have been hung up.

No pmac would be too easy to hung them. They should stay in prison and watch their back because the inmates hate cops and fear to be raped,injured,beaten up ecc.
Posted By: Aces

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 06:23 PM

On a related note, Lou Eppolito has been investiagting the murders of Hydell and Lino from behind bars just to help the family's of the victims. Well, his hard work payed off, Eppolito has found the killer: Steve Caracappa.
Posted By: BillyBrizzi

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 06:33 PM

REST IN PIECES

Bad guys with a good guy badge are the worst..
Posted By: domwoods74

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Snakes
Eppolito had an uncle and a cousin in the Gambino family. Nino Gaggi had both of them killed.
yeah Nino gaggi and Peter piacanti were both shot by police during the shootout
Posted By: tt120

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 07:01 PM

good riddance

rot in piss fuckin, crooked ass fence riding pig

see ya in hell Stephen lol
Posted By: Beenaround

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 07:36 PM

No Loss..Good bye Douche bag..
Posted By: Aces

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 09:51 PM

All kidding aside. It was guys like caracappa and eppolito that helped give the mafia its strength. People were always afraid the cops were on the mobs payroll and if they ever complained about mob guys, the crooked cops would get wind of it. Thats why you have the witness protection. It was much harder for a crooked cop to determine the whereabouts of a cooperator.
Law enforcement should be held to much higher standards and caracappa and eppolito were certainly dealt with correctly. They are two evil people.
Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 10:19 PM

terrible person. hard to even feel the slightest sympathy for him. louie eppolito is even worse.

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/12/17 10:25 PM

In the 1960s crime crisis NYPD lowered the standards to increase the ranks,they know that eppolito had pants in the mob but close an eye on it.
Posted By: Raven

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/13/17 12:53 AM

I've got no sympathy for him and no respect at all for guys who wear the badge and cross that line.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/14/17 12:16 AM

how could eppolito get on the NYPD when his family were made guys ? he was crooked from the beginning of his police service, he should have been off the force before he hooked up with casso.
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/14/17 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Raven
I've got no sympathy for him and no respect at all for guys who wear the badge and cross that line.

I agree. If someone takes an oath to enforce the law, they work for the people and they should stay in their lane, on the right side of the law.

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/14/17 12:43 AM

There were a few good books on these 2 pricks. Been a few years but i forgot the way they were vonvicted of the lino hit. I guess it makes sense a cop pulled him over. These 2 guys were evil. Just alot of the case was based on what one wiseguy told the next basically casso n burt kaplan. The finger prints on the nypd cherry hill gambinos file should have gotten the fat one the ax.

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/14/17 12:44 AM

And if eppokito never went on sally jesse raphel to premote his book this case would have never come together.
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/14/17 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: pmac
There were a few good books on these 2 pricks. Been a few years but i forgot the way they were vonvicted of the lino hit. I guess it makes sense a cop pulled him over. These 2 guys were evil. Just alot of the case was based on what one wiseguy told the next basically casso n burt kaplan. The finger prints on the nypd cherry hill gambinos file should have gotten the fat one the ax.

They were evil. They killed a guy who was a legit guy, because he had the same name as a gangster. They were obviously not good cops, and they were incompetent hitmen.
Posted By: DiLorenzo

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa DEAD! Mafia Cops Hitmen - 04/14/17 12:54 AM

Probably has been posted already, but did ya's see Ray Liotta talking about Eppolito ??

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/YD0zYjrYe9c[/video]
Posted By: Holyoke

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa DEAD! Mafia Cops Hitmen - 04/14/17 02:18 AM

I always wondered if that's who he was talking about but is it definitely him?

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa DEAD! Mafia Cops Hitmen - 04/14/17 04:16 PM

Eppolito was in the opening scene of Goodfella's so I'm pretty confident that's who he's talking about !1
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/14/17 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: AdamRski
I dislike how they say that he and Eppolito were sentenced for "committing eight mob-ordered executions". I feel like that's somewhat misleading. And I'm pretty sure they were only tied to the deaths of one Gambino made guy. Lino. I assume the other one they're thinking of is Hydell, but we know that's not accurate.

And not to be rude to the son of Eddie Lino, but his father was a gangster, drug dealer and murderer. He wasn't just a nice guy driving around one day who got killed. Doesn't justify it, but in the end he was a gangster who got killed by a couple of gangsters(or guys who liked playing gangsters) who also happened to be cops.

Reminds me of DiLeonardo and DeBatt's relatives whining about Gravano during that interview hosted by Diane Sawyer.

Are there ANY wives and children of mafia figures who take responsibility for their own lives?

Instead of looking for handouts and free passes all the time.

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/14/17 06:47 PM

Wasn't it John Manca who was Rey Liotta's security detail, he had family who were involved with the Colombo and Lucchese crime families.

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/14/17 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
Wasn't it John Manca who was Rey Liotta's security detail, he had family who were involved with the Colombo and Lucchese crime families.

Could be..Did he go mob like Liotta said this cop did ??

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/14/17 10:06 PM

From 1968 up to his arrest in 1985. He was mostly a freelance, but he rubbed shoulders with these guys when he was in uniform and detective. His partner Grosse was running a whorehouse and was even making stops there when they were on duty. He got busted in Queens for forged checks I believe.
Posted By: Zavattoni

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/15/17 12:38 AM

His uncle was James Eppolito. They use to call him ''Jimmy the Clam''. Believe he was killed in the late 70's over a drug dispute with Nino Gaggi; and Roy Demeo.

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/15/17 06:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Zavattoni
His uncle was James Eppolito. They use to call him ''Jimmy the Clam''. Believe he was killed in the late 70's over a drug dispute with Nino Gaggi; and Roy Demeo.

I was referring to John Manca is my post.

James Epolitto aka Jimmy the Clam was made and there was a dispute with his son James Eppolito Jr aka Jim Jimmy, the drug dispute has been out their for years, but a stronger story is that Jim Jim wanted a piece of Nino Gaggi union cut. They drove to a meeting where Big Paul was supposed to be, during that drive Jimmy the Clam sensed something was wrong and asked to pull the car over. Roy DiMeo shot both Epolittos.
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/15/17 11:41 AM

Caracappa was a cold hearted guy. I forget if it was the Brotherhoods or the Tommy Dades book, but they had a good nickname for Caracappa, I can't remember it now, but it had black in it, like he was a dark soul.

He and the fat man belonged in prison,but the trial was a sham. The way they allowed Kaplan to testify was BS, since the statue of limitations passed they Kaplan cop to some bogus charge.
Posted By: mikeyballs211

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/16/17 05:30 AM

Originally Posted By: GerryLang
Caracappa was a cold hearted guy. I forget if it was the Brotherhoods or the Tommy Dades book, but they had a good nickname for Caracappa, I can't remember it now, but it had black in it, like he was a dark soul.

He and the fat man belonged in prison,but the trial was a sham. The way they allowed Kaplan to testify was BS, since the statue of limitations passed they Kaplan cop to some bogus charge.

Gerry the statute of limitations you're referring to isn't homicide right?..bc at the state or fed level homicide has no SOL
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/16/17 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211
Originally Posted By: GerryLang

Gerry the statute of limitations you're referring to isn't homicide right?..bc at the state or fed level homicide has no SOL

They had no case without Burt Kaplan, who was in prison for a few years which he couldn't testify against because hadn't committed a crime in a certain nullifying the Rico Act, so they said Burt paid for a guy to get up in prison giving him new charges to flip.
Posted By: UncleVig

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/16/17 09:18 PM

Eppolito and caracappa also murdeted Bobby Borrielo, the Aldo murdered some poor kid in Prodpect Park who had the same last name as a wise guy . They looked him up in DMV database went and shot him on Christmas Day when he was celebrating with his family and showing off his new used car. Whoops wrong Nicky Guido. Let both of those greedy pricks rot in hell.
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/17/17 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Zavattoni

Also Jimmy Eppolito tried to have Gaggi killed when he told Paul that Gaggi was stealing money. Unfortunetly for Eppolito he didn't realize that Pauls relationship with Gaggi was pretty strong so paul sided with Nino.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/17/17 06:14 PM

Caracappa was the brains and Eppolito was the brawn.

Caracappa was furious with Eppolito when he put a photo of Caracappa in his book.

He blew their cover.

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/17/17 07:16 PM

Gerrys rite the feds did a shady act getting kaplan his sentence reduced probaly committed some type of crime deff a ethics violation. Hes was 9 yrs into 25 bid and came up with a new crime to indict him on to reduce his case. Think they gave the old guy a book on there case and told him to study it. Real shady trial. They should have got gaspipe but i think the feds put him in a black hole during that time frame.

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/17/17 07:16 PM

Gerrys rite the feds did a shady act getting kaplan his sentence reduced probaly committed some type of crime deff a ethics violation. Hes was 9 yrs into 25 bid and came up with a new crime to indict him on to reduce his case. Think they gave the old guy a book on there case and told him to study it. Real shady trial. They should have got gaspipe but i think the feds put him in a black hole during that time frame.

Re: NYPD Stephen Caracappa Dead! Mafia Hitmen - 04/17/17 07:17 PM

Gaspipe to dispute some of kaplans shit. Him paying to have another inmate beat up was fake i bet.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET