Home

Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News

Posted By: Ryan98366

Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/18/17 11:27 PM

I was actually going to buy this book. After reading this, I am going to pass. This sounds like total bullshit. What a self serving jerkoff.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/read...ticle-1.3002222
Posted By: pmac

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 01:46 AM

I wondering what excuse he makes to why bruno didnt induct him when they opend tue books 1977. Bruno inucted a few guys that year the old man chang i think sindone. Natale didnt go to prison to 1979.

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: pmac
I wondering what excuse he makes to why bruno didnt induct him when they opend tue books 1977. Bruno inucted a few guys that year the old man chang i think sindone. Natale didnt go to prison to 1979.

I'm sure he's got a grand self serving excuse. He thinks he is Vito Corleone but in reality he's Fredo.
Posted By: Sal_Bronte

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 02:11 AM

he was in his 40's by that point and had gotten his hands pretty dirty for those guys too.
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 03:04 AM

Exactly why he most likely he should've gotten his button then, but didn't. There has to be a reason for that. He was responsible for multiple murders which was said to be linked back to the Bruno Family, and was knee deep in the unions. Always with these families you tend to see a made guy with similar union positions that Natale had. But I guess it made no difference since he was operating on behalf of Bruno anyway. Still, I think Natale is full of shit, I sincerely doubt that he was ever Bruno's "Right hand man", or that he met and operated on behalf of Carlo Gambino as well. Which is something he also claims in the book.
Posted By: Kash

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 03:43 AM

Natale is terrible

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 04:17 AM

He's full of shit. This book is a pile of lies and garbage.
Posted By: gencoliveoil

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 06:47 AM

I would buy it hoping it would talk about when he was Boss more than when he was younger or in jail
Posted By: Aces

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 01:44 PM

If you listen to the Scarfo congressional hearings from 1982, Natale is mentioned along with a few other names. So he wasnt insignificant.

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 03:03 PM

Because he was in the unions, which is what a lot of those hearings that Scarfo were in, were about. Well not about, but a lot of the questions dealt with. Anywho, it appears Natale & Scarfo had the same "mob mentor" in Skinny Razor DiTullio, with that said, I dont know how we don't hear more about him and his younger days from a guy like Leonetti. Who could often tell you what Scarfo did from stories from his uncle. Strange we don't hear anything about Natale, from those days. No second hand information, or anything.

It can't be disputed that he was boss, and was made, as we know he was made by Merlino after coming home from prison, and not too long after that was made boss. His importance however in Bruno's era can be easily disputed and questioned.

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 07:05 PM

My guess he'll say since i was in such a postion in the union bruno didnt want me to have a button cause it will look bad but at the same time that genovese capo who killed hoffa was like the biggest union official in america forgot his name.

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 07:08 PM

He was out of new jersey to. Another thing i read in think blood n honor and phils book bruno didnt want to induct new members that being said i forgot were i read he made chang. Sindoe and monte or was it narducci.
Posted By: DanteMoltisanti

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 11:02 PM

https://mycitypaper.com/articles/032901/cb.citybeat.mob.shtml
Posted By: Serpiente

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/19/17 11:19 PM

Because he was a classic associate and not a big earner but had value but not enough to be made plain and simple.

And the guy never stops running his mouth , I am sure there was red flag with Bruno .

Fast forward and the picking was slim real slim and that's why he was brought into the fold.
Posted By: bronx

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/20/17 01:05 PM

he is a legend in his own mind ..why these guys make themselves more important than what they were is so typical..he should start by getting some teeth..
Posted By: BillyBrizzi

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/21/17 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: bronx
he is a legend in his own mind ..why these guys make themselves more important than what they were is so typical..he should start by getting some teeth..

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when I saw him on Trevor McDonald. Thought that was really strange, because in all the stories I've read about Natale he's always described as a very vain individual so why didn't he address the situation before he was interviewed? Can't imagine he's so broke that he even can't afford decent dental care.

Angelo Lutz description of Natale was pretty funny, he said he called all the guys in every week or so and then gave these long motivational speeches like he was Al Pacino in Any Given Sunday or something. He was so full of himself, that it became comical in an unintentional way.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/21/17 01:55 AM

Just reading this now.

Was clearasil not invented when Testa and Sindone were alive? It looks like they stuck their head in a deep fat fryer.

Freddy Krueger must have sued them for copyright infringement.
Posted By: billymari

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/21/17 06:25 PM

Ironically the jury didn't buy Ralph Natale's testimony on the witness stand in 2001. He tried to give off the Don Vito Corleone vibe and the jury knew it was b.s. Natale didn't do as much damage to the Philly mob as the feds hoped. He got the Merlino crew nailed on racketeering and drug charges, but not for murder (and they already had enough evidence from Ron Previte to nail them on the former two charges). Natale was forbidden to go into Philly on terms of his parole, so he couldn't manage the Merlino crew very well. He ordered murders but Merlino either ignored them or did them in ways Natale did not intend. George Anatasia made a comment saying that he never understood why the feds made the deal with Ralph, because Ralph was not a good witness, period. They probably just wanted to say that they got the first American Mafia boss to flip. Natale just doesn't want to admit that he was used like a fiddle by the Merlino guys. To quote George again, he was "more like Uncle Junior."
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/21/17 07:08 PM

If it's under 10 bucks on kindle I will read it. I might get the Gotta book, nor the Alite one,the one by the kid. Last really good mob book was Leonetti's. People talk shit about Phil Carlo but his Gaspipe book was great,the writing wasn't Pulitzer worthy and the stories were embellished, but man, it was an awesome read. It got me interested in the mafia again.
Posted By: mackinblack007

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/22/17 10:42 AM

he claims.carlo gambino and ang made him lololol.
Posted By: PHL_Mob

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/22/17 01:06 PM

So I read most of Ralph's book last night just sitting in a corner at Barnes & Noble, which by the way, it's a very quick read- you can probably get through it in 2-3 hours tops. I skimmed or skipped several chapters but read all of the Merlino years. He does claim that he was made by Bruno and Gambino and was only re-made by Merlino to "keep the peace", which didn't make any sense to me. He provided nothing new or insightful about the Merlino years quite frankly. There were some interesting tid-bits from the Bruno/Testa era, however, it's hard to say if they're true or not. For instance, he goes into detail regarding Casella and Narducci and now they found out about Testa and Scarfo in AC and how they were hogging it for themselves and the Casella/Narducci found out via the Gambinos, etc. How would Ralph Natale know all these details about what happened in that party with the Gambinos and what not. That's just one example. Another funny example is some meeting with Carlo Gambino at San Gennaro where Carlo Gambino supposedly hand picked Natale via Bruno to run AC and the unions with Chicago. Give me a break. Carlo Gambino didn't barely spoke to his own underboss in his own house let alone to Ralph Natale in Little Italy at San Genaro. Glad I read/skimmed it, glad I didn't pay $25 for it though.
Posted By: crazycrip33766

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/22/17 02:01 PM

carlo Gambino made him...... cmon Ralphie dont u think anyone with some knowledege would c question that u could me up with a btterr lie than u old toothless bastard......and there is no federal prison in homestead flroida you old fuck ......
Posted By: PHL_Mob

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/22/17 02:12 PM

He also says he had Ronnie Turchi killed and not Merlino/Ligambi, which I think is comical. Natale claims he killed Turchi because he was scheming to kill Ralph and take the boss spot by paying the Gambinos $10k. No one was killing Turchi for Natale that was eel after he ratted and it was clearly Merlino and Ligambi killed him because he was trying to make moves for he boss spot plus he was Ralph's guy who had just ratted. Natale claims Turchi was lured under the auspices that he was going to a making ceremony but they killed him once he walked into the "making ceremony". Turchi was made by Stanfa and secondly Ralph, how was Turchi previously your consigliere if he wasn't made? Good story I've seen Goodfellas too, but come on, none of this timeline makes and sense amongst other discrepancies. I wonder if Merlino and those guys read this and just laugh at the all the lies and non-sense.
Posted By: Giacomo

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/22/17 06:04 PM

I just finished this. It was awful. There's actually a point where McShane, the ghostwriter, telegraphs that he knows Natale is lying through his nonexistent teeth--and its exactly what was mentioned above: the "making ceremony" where only Gambino and Bruno were present. The whole fucking thing beggars belief, but McShane politely says "in a highly unusual move..." which I read as "I know this guy is making this shit up." Natale comes across--in a book that HE co-wrote--as a narcissistic, histrionic creep.

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/22/17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Giacomo
I just finished this. It was awful. There's actually a point where McShane, the ghostwriter, telegraphs that he knows Natale is lying through his nonexistent teeth--and its exactly what was mentioned above: the "making ceremony" where only Gambino and Bruno were present. The whole fucking thing beggars belief, but McShane politely says "in a highly unusual move..." which I read as "I know this guy is making this shit up." Natale comes across--in a book that HE co-wrote--as a narcissistic, histrionic creep.

Thanks for saving me some money. After reading that, I would never buy it.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/22/17 08:59 PM

Wasn't Gambino even sick during the time Natale claims to have been made by him? I know Gambino was sick over his last years but I have no idea when Natale claims he was made. Or am I way off?
Posted By: Wilson101

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/23/17 02:38 AM

Lol at Gambino even knowing who Natale was. Highly unfucking likely. This guy is unreal
Posted By: Biggie

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/23/17 02:41 AM

do any of these writers even try to fact check any story? isnt that responsible journalism? if not, label it a work of fiction...natale is the lowest of the low

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/23/17 05:17 PM

Lol @ Carlo Gambino & Angelo Bruno being the only two whom were supposedly at his "initial making ceremony". In other words, there's absolutely no way to fact check his bullshit story since both parties are long dead. Who the hell does Natale really think he is. He'd literally be the only one in the LCN underworld, whom had his making by two bosses, with two of those bosses being the among the biggest names, in LCN history, if not the biggest. The fact that he even suspects someone to buy that load of shit is quite hilarious.
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/24/17 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
Lol @ Carlo Gambino & Angelo Bruno being the only two whom were supposedly at his "initial making ceremony". In other words, there's absolutely no way to fact check his bullshit story since both parties are long dead. Who the hell does Natale really think he is. He'd literally be the only one in the LCN underworld, whom had his making by two bosses, with two of those bosses being the among the biggest names, in LCN history, if not the biggest. The fact that he even suspects someone to buy that load of shit is quite hilarious.
Isnt there somerule that NO ONE from another family is allowed to a making ceremony?...this guy's a fuckin' trip 2 think he can fool all the ppl all the time but probably only fools some of the ppl some of the time.
Posted By: mackinblack007

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/24/17 11:59 AM

He was a front boss and too dumb to know it.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/24/17 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggie
do any of these writers even try to fact check any story? isnt that responsible journalism? if not, label it a work of fiction...natale is the lowest of the low

McShane also wrote the Chin book, I hope that one is better researched.

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/24/17 04:23 PM

His book about chin was okay nothing that you couldnt rrad on the web. Acfually he gets father gigante to give his few thoughts. But ya rite im 99 percent sure i read old philly news articles in the philly paper during merlino and friends 2001 trial. He said under oath merlino inducted him in a hotel room. Something about some colombo members had a fancy dinner for him in brooklyn. I couldnt even imagine allie boy or whoever was boss in 1994 meeting him. Carmine sessa fkiped in 93 and got everyone indicted.
Posted By: GangstersInc

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/29/17 08:49 AM

Former Philadelphia mob boss Ralph Natale’s Last Don Standing reveals a gangster desperately in search of respect

About his obsession with coming across as a tough killer, his induction ceremonies, and various other things that made my bullshit radar explode.

http://gangstersinc.ning.com/profiles/bl...on-standing-rev

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/29/17 05:07 PM

His book about chin was okay nothing that you couldnt rrad on the web. Acfually he gets father gigante to give his few thoughts. But ya rite im 99 percent sure i read old philly news articles in the philly paper during merlino and friends 2001 trial. He said under oath merlino inducted him in a hotel room. Something about some colombo members had a fancy dinner for him in brooklyn. I couldnt even imagine allie boy or whoever was boss in 1994 meeting him. Carmine sessa fkiped in 93 and got everyone indicted.
Chin's daughters' book was interesting in a different kinda way,not what u expect.

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/29/17 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: GangstersInc
Former Philadelphia mob boss Ralph Natale’s Last Don Standing reveals a gangster desperately in search of respect

About his obsession with coming across as a tough killer, his induction ceremonies, and various other things that made my bullshit radar explode.

http://gangstersinc.ning.com/profiles/bl...on-standing-rev

Good review. I just read it. The forum has saved me from buying the book.

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 03/30/17 02:15 AM

I swear im the biggest sucker buying these books this is the guy i wont. You can look up on this site most of gis testomony against merlino and friends. The shit hes saying in this book he didnt not say on the stand. And i get he probaly wanted to down play on the stand but this guy is nuts.

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 04/03/17 02:54 AM

I swear im the biggest sucker buying these books this is the guy i wont. You can look up on this site most of gis testomony against merlino and friends. The shit hes saying in this book he didnt not say on the stand. And i get he probaly wanted to down play on the stand but this guy is nuts.
Thank God New England cant respond..he would b all over u sayin' how all u do is read ..the guy was an ass....
t

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 04/03/17 05:02 AM

Is there one thread where ( on this site)I can talk about old school hotties//
Posted By: ItalianIrishMix

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 04/06/17 12:40 AM

Break down Ralph Natale.

Ralph N A Tale.

Not buying it!

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 04/06/17 10:10 PM

I bet ralph cant help himself but to make up some story after he became boss he was asked to come to nyc to fix the commission. Id bet he says the nyc familys asked him to be a commiss member the perfect story in his head.

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 04/06/17 10:58 PM

I feel the same way! I buy all the books including the ones I know we shit. Andrew DiDonato is the one I feel the worst about...I knew it was shit but bought it anyway. Ralph is not getting my money. Fuck off you toothless idiot.
Posted By: Ted

Re: Ralph Natale Book Excerpt from NY Daily News - 04/14/17 05:17 PM

Mobster Ralph Natale's life story: Philly underworld calls BS on 'fake news'
By George Anastasia
PhillyVoice Contributor
http://www.phillyvoice.com/mobster-ralph-natales-life-story-philly-underworld-calls-bs-on-fake-news/

Some of the guys in South Philadelphia are calling it “fake news.”

Others are using a more graphic description – “bullshit.”

They are speaking, of course, of the story that Ralph Natale is spinning in his book Last Don Standing, which went on sale last month.

Natale discussed the book and his life in the Philadelphia underworld recently in an exclusive interview with Fox 29 crime reporter Dave Schratwieser. The piece is expected to air soon during an evening news broadcast.

The book and word of the interview have already created a buzz in Philadelphia underworld and law enforcement circles. Players from both sides are said to be less than pleased and more than a little taken aback by the version of events presented by the one-time don turned star government witness.

An online synopsis of the book’s storyline claims that in the mid-1990s Natale put the beleaguered Philadelphia crime family back together, forged alliances “around the country” and “achieved a status within the mob never seen before or since until he was betrayed by his men and decided to testify against them in a stunning turn of events.”

The story is vintage Natale, a combination of bravado and self-deprecation, a mix of fact and fiction. And in that sense it’s not unlike his two appearances on the witness stand after he began cooperating with the government in 1999.

Natale first testified in federal court in Camden in the trial of disgraced Camden Mayor Milton Milan. But that was just a warm-up. His star turn came in the trial of Joey Merlino and six co-defendants which took up nearly five months through the spring and summer of 2001. Natale was on the stand for 14 days.

His performance got mixed reviews.

His book has generated the same reaction.

THE IRONIC BOTTOM LINE

Ralph spins a good story and he clearly enjoys being center stage. But while he likes to portray himself as Don Corleone, the reality is he was more like Uncle Junior.

Here’s the ironic bottom line in the Ralph Natale story.

Ralph Natale's new book, Last Don Standing, has already created a buzz in Philadelphia underworld and law enforcement circles. The book – and a hoped-for movie – is his final chance at celebrity.
He was played by Merlino and the guys around Skinny Joey. They let Ralph parade around as the boss and often fed him bogus information about what they were doing, about the scams, the flimflams and, more important, about the hits and misses that left a half dozen wiseguys dead or wounded. .

No matter.

When Natale was arrested on drug dealing charges, he used that disinformation, which at the time he might have thought was true, to get out from under the potential life sentence he was facing as a three-time offender and convicted narcotics trafficker.

The feds bought what Ralph was selling even though it didn’t hold up in court.

Now he’s asking the reading public to do the same.

Was Ralph a tough guy? In his early years, probably.

Was he a murderer? Without question.

Was he an effective witness? Not so much.

Merlino and his co-defendants beat every murder and attempted murder charge Natale testified about in that 2001 racketeering case. Joey’s lawyer, ace criminal defense attorney Edwin Jacobs Jr., would tout the result as a victory. And in a broad sense – considering that Merlino was looking at a possible life sentence – it was.

Joey got 14 years instead.

Ralph, as a result of his plea deal and cooperation, did less time than Merlino. Today, when not making media appearances to tout his book, he’s stashed away in the Witness Security Program. He turned 82 a few weeks ago. His health and eyesight are failing.

TWEAKING THE WISEGUYS

The book – and a hoped-for movie – is his final chance at celebrity, his way to have the last word in a story that often was more soap opera than Mafia saga.

Ralph used to refer to Merlino, whom he had met and befriended in prison in the early 1990s, as a fine young man. In an interview with Schratwieser back in those days, he boldly said he would be happy to “share a foxhole” with Merlino and the guys around him.

But in the book and in the interview with Fox 29, Natale describes Merlino and the others as “punks,” the same description he used while testifying against them in federal court in Philadelphia.

The consensus from those who were on the streets with Natale in the late 1990s is that he always talked a better game than he played.

“He certainly tells an interesting story,” Schratwieser said about his exclusive. “And he doesn’t mind tweaking the wiseguys. It’s not every day a former mob boss steps out of the shadows to talk publicly. Whether his former mob running mates choose to believe him, that’s another story for another day. None of them would comment on camera for this story.”

The book doesn’t dwell much on his relationship with the Merlino crew. Written by veteran New York Daily News reporter Larry McShane and Dan Pearson, an entertainment industry producer, it’s more a personal account of Natale’s life in the mob, heavy on stories about guys who are no longer around to dispute or challenge what he has to say.

Natale is described in promotional releases for The Last Don Standing as a smart, savvy and articulate boss who “brought the region’s Mafia back to prominence in the 1990s.” He apparently portrays himself the same way in his Fox 29 interview, commenting on three unsolved South Philadelphia gangland murders, speculating on who he thinks should be running the organization today and offering a less than flattering description of his one-time young partners (Merlino and company) in the Philadelphia crime family.

The consensus from those who were on the streets with Natale in the late 1990s is that he always talked a better game than he played. In that sense, it appears little has changed.

More than a decade ago from the witness stand, Natale denounced his life of crime and bemoaned what he said it had done to his wife and family. “I spit on myself” was his emotionally charged comment, a public plea for forgiveness, an acknowledgement of how wrong he had been.

Now he’s apparently saving his saliva while promoting himself as one of the last true men of honor.

BRUNO'S ATTACK DOG

Ralph tells a great story.

But it’s sometimes built around alternative facts.

Under oath on the witness stand in 2001 he told a jury that he had declined mob boss Angelo Bruno’s offer to be formally initiated into the Mafia back in the 1970s. He said he loved and respected Bruno but didn’t trust the men around him. He said he didn’t get along with many of Bruno’s crime family members and figured they’d end up killing him or he would have to kill them.

Ralph liked to present the image that he was his own man.

A good story? Absolutely.

But not a part of Natale’s life rewrite.

He now claims that he became a “made” member of the mob while working for Angelo Bruno back in the 1970s. Bruno and New York mob boss Carlo Gambino did the honors, he says. It wasn’t enough to be formally initiated by his own my boss, he was made by two Mafia dons.

Ralph likes to embellish.

He demonstrated that from the witness stand in the 2001 trial when he described himself as a hitman and enforcer for Bruno. That might have been true. But Ralph couldn’t stop there. He called himself Bruno’s attack dog and said the boss would unleash him to take care of business.

This was in 2001.

A decade earlier Salvatore “Sammy the Bull” Gravano, testifying in the trial of his mob boss John Gotti, said much the same thing about his relationship with his boss.

“When he barked, I bit,” said Gravano, who admitted to his own involvement in 20 murders, most carried out on Gotti’s orders.

Ralph didn’t have nearly as many notches on his gun, but he apparently liked Sammy’s attack dog reference enough to make it his own.

Plagiarism was not one of the predicate acts listed in the case against him.

Maybe it should have been.

While he’s telling a different story now, from the witness stand Natale boasted that he had, in essence, made himself after coming out of prison and aligning with Merlino in a war against then mob boss John Stanfa in 1994.

Is that possible, he was asked?

“If you have the cojones,” he replied.

Ralph always had big ones.

It got him through life.

Now he’s hoping it will bring him another payday.

It might.

Fake news sells.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET