Home

Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017

Posted By: antimafia

Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 03/15/17 04:48 PM

This year, there has been an uptick in the number of individuals shooting at or into homes (including condominiums) in York Region--specifically in Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Newmarket, and Aurora. All of these cities and towns have affluent neighbourhoods, more or less.

A double shooting yesterday at an industrial-park parking lot in Woodbridge, in Vaughan, has left one woman dead and an accompanying male suffering injuries that are not life threatening. The most detailed article I've seen online so far about this incident will be found at

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/719...ridge-shooting/

The natural tendency these days is to assume the double shooting yesterday has an organized-crime angle to it because of where it happened (Woodbridge is one of three Little Italies that the Toronto area boasts and is home to members of the 'ndrangheta, Cosa Nostra, and Camorra) and the Italian surname of the identified victim (Barberi). A quick Google search of the company named in the article reveals a staff consisting mostly of Italian-Canadians.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 03/16/17 05:05 AM

The article to which I linked above mentions a company. Two individuals listed as staff on this company's webiste have had a previous connection--perhaps still an existing one--to one or two companies involved in cannabis production. This may or may not have relevance with respect to the motives for the shootings and to the targets themselves. We may find out more if the male victim, who survived, is identified.

In the past week, there have been raids across Canada of marijuana dispensaries considered to be illegal. Again, this may or may not have any relevance.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 03/17/17 05:59 PM

Yesterday, York Regional Police released images of the suspect and the suspect's vehicle. Today, there were results, as the vehicle has been recovered.

Link to article (written by the same reporter to whose article I previously linked):

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/719...ionship-source/

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 03/17/17 11:29 PM

There is now a second suspect.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/17/suv-sought-in-mila-barberi-murder-found
Posted By: Ciment

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 03/18/17 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: antimafia
The article to which I linked above mentions a company. Two individuals listed as staff on this company's webiste have had a previous connection--perhaps still an existing one--to one or two companies involved in cannabis production. This may or may not have relevance with respect to the motives for the shootings and to the targets themselves. We may find out more if the male victim, who survived, is identified.

In the past week, there have been raids across Canada of marijuana dispensaries considered to be illegal. Again, this may or may not have any relevance.

I wonder if those two have any relations to Diego Serrano ?

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 03/19/17 12:18 AM

^^^^
I couldn't find any in the last few days.

I think Serrano has only one son, Francesco. And then there's the adopted son, Cleavon Springer (http://www.facebook.com/cleavon.springer).

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 03/19/17 12:31 AM

Thanks for the info.
I guess they still haven't released the identity of the other 40 year old person that was shot and survived.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 03:24 AM

The violence is getting ridiculous in the Greater Toronto Area. I fear that this latest shooting in Woodbridge (Vaughan) is tied to the Siderno Group.

"One man critically hurt after shooting in Vaughan"

http://cp24.to/2vUtUAi
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 09:14 AM

The violence is getting ridiculous in the Greater Toronto Area. I fear that this latest shooting in Woodbridge (Vaughan) is tied to the Siderno Group.

"One man critically hurt after shooting in Vaughan"

http://cp24.to/2vUtUAi

Sad for the families, but a good thing for law enforcement.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 02:13 PM

The media is now reporting that this latest shooting victim died, apparently having been pronounced dead at the scene.

Yesterday, the York Regional Police tweeted it had a large presence at the address of 100 Regina Road. Siderno Group members own establishments and  properties on this road and in the area generally. That address is for the Club Cosenza, but the articles keep mentioning a shooting outside of a banquet hall at that address. Which is incorrect.

The banquet hall is L'Azzura Ballroom. Hoping to get some clarification.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 02:21 PM

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2017/04/01/man-killed-in-vaughan-shooting.html

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/01/deadly-shooting-at-vaughan-banquet-hall

One article says he was shot in the plaza and the other outside the banquet hall.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 05:00 PM

Victim has been identified as Domenico Triumbari.

Curious to know whether the contiguity with yesterday's murder of Antonio Sergi in Toronto means something or absolutely nothing. But those are storied surnames.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 05:30 PM

Curious to know whether the contiguity with yesterday's murder of Antonio Sergi in Toronto means something or absolutely nothing. But those are storied surnames.

Does he have any relation to Salvatore Triumbari former member of the camera di controllo.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 05:35 PM

"Police say gunman fled scene in vehicle following Vaughan homicide"

http://cp24.to/S9gcK5D

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Ciment

Does he have any relation to Salvatore Triumbari for member of the camera di controllo.

Ciment, we'll find an answer at some point. The reality is that Sammy Triumbari was murdered in 1967, and then for the longest time we don't hear or read of someone with that surname being involved in organized crime in the Toronto area. Same thing after Domenico Racco was killed in 1983--and he was Mike Racco's son!--with the difference being that, since then, I've never heard or read that surname again in relation to the Canadian 'ndrangheta.

But people with the surnames Sergi, Triumbari, and Racco are very much still entrenched in the 'ndrangheta in Calabria and elsewhere.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 05:54 PM

^^^^
I'll double check older articles I've saved to see whether I can find Triumbaris who have been associated with the GTA Siderno Group, as I think I have. I probably misspoke.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 06:13 PM

^^^^

Italian authorities say another wanted man, Cosimo Triumbari, 56, fled Siderno in 1988, after surviving a shotgun blast to his arm from a local mafioso. The Italians say they have issued warrants against him for extortion, loansharking, money laundering and Mafia conspiracy.

Triumbari deferred questions to his son, saying his English wasn't strong.

Told of the charges, Tony Triumbari said his father isn't hiding anywhere, and can be found daily behind the counter of his family restaurant in an industrial section of Woodbridge.

"I think you've got the wrong information, my friend," Tony Triumbari said, adding that it's odd to think of his father as a fugitive since he hasn't changed his name or gone into hiding.

"He wouldn't be here," Tony Triumbari said, gesturing to his father serving customers in Lanterna Ristorante on Edgeley Blvd. in Concord, which specializes in wood-oven pizza.

Tony Triumbari said his father hasn't been in Italy for 18 years.

Like Cosimo Triumbari, none of the alleged fugitives have tried to conceal their identities.

Source: Six men are wanted by Italian prosecutors probing the Mafia. So why are they living comfortably in our midst?; Accused mobsters at home in the GTA: [MET Edition]
Edwards, Peter; Brennan, Richard. Toronto Star; Toronto, Ont. [Toronto, Ont]21 Sep 2006: A1.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 07:19 PM

^^^^

One more, but it's from a digital newspaper clipping; so I've typed out the last two paragraphs (below). I was unable to find related articles; so I don't want to speculate that the individuals named below were tied to the GTA Siderno Group. The Cosimo Triumbari mentioned below is probably not the Cosimo Triumbari named in the 2006 article in my previous post.

Angelo Triumbari, 30, of Dovehaven Court has been charged with breaking and entering and theft, possession of of heroin for the purpose of trafficking and possession of stolen goods.

Cosimo Triumbari, 33, also of Dovehaven Court, has been charged with possession of of heroin for the purpose of trafficking and possession of dangerous weapons.

Source: 2 men charged after heroin found in house. The Globe and Mail (1936-Current); Toronto, Ont. [Toronto, Ont]25 Nov 1978: 14.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 07:39 PM

Does he have any relation to Salvatore Triumbari for member of the camera di controllo.

Ciment, we'll find an answer at some point. The reality is that Sammy Triumbari was murdered in 1967, and then for the longest time we don't hear or read of someone with that surname being involved in organized crime in the Toronto area. Same thing after Domenico Racco was killed in 1983--and he was Mike Racco's son!--with the difference being that, since then, I've never heard or read that surname again in relation to the Canadian 'ndrangheta.

But people with the surnames Sergi, Triumbari, and Racco are very much still entrenched in the 'ndrangheta in Calabria and elsewhere.

One of my Twitter followers hinted that last night's murder victim Domenic(o) Triumbari owned a bottling plant--I think he was referring to the company with website http://www.triumbari.com/.

Salvatore (Sammy) Triumbari had been the president of Cynar Dry Co. Ltd., a soft-drink bottling company, before he was killed. After he died, his brother Giuseppe (Joseph) took over. So there is a very real possibility the company not only stayed in the family but also later diversified. There could be a relationship between Sammy and Domenic Triumbari.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/01/17 08:33 PM

Good research !
Soon we will be able to find out where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/02/17 12:41 AM

I don't believe in coincidence.
I assume Sergi is from Platì and Triumbari from Siderno.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/02/17 07:58 PM

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/722...-recent-murder/

Vaughan Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua speaks after third recent murder
Posted By: eurodave

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/02/17 11:49 PM

Wow what's going on....this is intense.

You can clearly notice the difference in reporting style between Ontario and Quebec. If this was Quebec, they'd be mentioning mafia hit by now.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/03/17 04:06 AM

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/02/police-say-hamilton-murder-victim-was-targeted

Murder victim targeted in Hamilton. Do not know yet if it OC related.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/03/17 04:13 AM

http://www.chch.com/hamilton-police-investigating-parkdale-ave-homicide/

Hamilton police made an arrest

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/03/17 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Hollander

I don't believe in coincidence.
I assume Sergi is from Platì and Triumbari from Siderno.

I'm not sure whether you're implying that there was tension between the two victims--and between any Calabrian crime cells with which each victim was associated--because they and the groups have ancestry from different comuni in Calabria. If I've misinterpreted what you've written, please correct me.

You and others could very well be right about the two murders in one day not being a coincidence, just as you and others could very well be right about the second murder being an act of retaliation for the first.

There are so many scenarios, though, and we don't definitively know whether these two victims were inducted into the 'ndrangheta or were Siderno Group associates. Law enforcement is looking at past murders, attempted murders, and arsons/firebombings in Woodbridge (Vaughan) and Toronto from at least five years ago, not just the two murders this past Friday. The recent double shooting in Woodbridge on Tuesday, March 14, is especially being examined; as Ciment wrote, Sergi's murder could be tied to that double shooting in which the young woman was accidentally killed. The problem for law enforcement is that contiguity in murder cases, while always needing to be examined, either yields instant results or leads nowhere. Add to this the fact that, in order to throw homicide detectives off the scent, criminals exploit the opportunity to kill someone in proximity to a recent murder to make law enforcement think the two murders are closely tied.

If Sergi and Triumbari belonged to the same cell, 'ndrina, crew, etc., let's not dismiss the scenario that these two were picked off by a common enemy. Then we have to determine whether the enemy is from within the Siderno Group itself, i.e., there has been internal friction.

Finally, because many members of Italian organized-crime groups don't believe in a statute of limitations for revenge murders, we can't dismiss a vendetta as being behind certain murders. While I don't think this is the reason behind the Sergi and Triumbari murders, I can't rule it out because I don't know why revenge might have been sought. At first I didn't think Domenic Triumbari was any relation to Salvatore Triumbari, murdered in 1967, but I know now I could very well be wrong--who knows whether there has always been some underlying beef or thirst for revenge?

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/03/17 10:04 AM

Good post anti we have to wait and see anything is possible, I would like to point out the 'Siderno Group' is a name given by law enforcement in Canada for all 'ndrine operating there it's not a real organization like for example the Five Families in NY. The only thing that keeps it together is the Camera di controllo, but the groups are independent I think.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/03/17 12:57 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/cameo-nightclub-shooting-1.4052381

http://www.citynews.ca/2017/04/03/shots-fired-inside-woodbridge-nightclub-3-people-hospital/

Whole lot of shooting going on.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/03/17 05:12 PM

From an older article written more than 15 years after Sammy Triumbari's murder in January 1967:

In another conversation with one of his sons, Giacomo Luppino referred to Salvatore Triumbari, a Toronto soft-drink manufacturer whose gangland-style killing in January, 1967, is unsolved. They talked about reports that some of Mr. Triumbari's relatives in Italy were considering trying to kill the man they thought had murdered Mr. Triumbari.

Source: "Family's talks centred on shootings, extortion." The Globe and Mail. Toronto, Ont.:Aug 18, 1982. P.4

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/03/17 06:22 PM

Police have released video footage in relation to the murder of Domenic Triumbari.

"Surveillance video shows suspect in fatal Vaughan shooting"

http://ctv.news/Sv5IhoO

Link to YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/8bCzD2etHds

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/03/17 11:04 PM

From an older article written more than 15 years after Sammy Triumbari's murder in January 1967:

In another conversation with one of his sons, Giacomo Luppino referred to Salvatore Triumbari, a Toronto soft-drink manufacturer whose gangland-style killing in January, 1967, is unsolved. They talked about reports that some of Mr. Triumbari's relatives in Italy were considering trying to kill the man they thought had murdered Mr. Triumbari.

Source: "Family's talks centred on shootings, extortion." The Globe and Mail. Toronto, Ont.:Aug 18, 1982. P.4

One theory mentioned in the mafia book "ICED" mentions that the orders to have Salvatore Triumbari killed came from Calabria because Salvatore and Filippo Vendemini(another member of the camera di controllo killed in 1969) had some Ndrine member killed and a ritual disfigurement occurred. Michele Racco at the behest of the senior Calabrian leaders acted upon their request. Filippo Vendemini had also worked at CYNAR dry Ltd.Back in the late 60's & early 70's there were a series of fires & bombings at the beverage companies and Italian bakeries owned by prominent Ndrangheta leaders. Also others mafia books Mob rule and Mafia assassin make light of this beverage war. Adding this information to the 1982 article that you mention in your post may give credence to a vendetta theory but it is still too early to tell based on the limited information we have for now.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/07/17 02:13 AM

Domenic Triumbari's funeral was today. There is a link to the service details--see

http://www.wardfuneralhomes.com/book-of-memories/2892387/Triumbari-Domenico/service-details.php

However, there is no obituary / life story that might have shed some light on his family tree.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/11/17 11:44 PM

Re: the recent murder of Domenic Triumbari on March 31.

"Police searching for vehicle of interest in targeted Vaughan shooting that left 1 dead"

http://globalnews.ca/news/3370482/police...at-left-1-dead/

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/13/17 10:56 AM

81 has infiltrated the $7-billion medical marijuana market in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/pol...arket-1.4067112

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 04/14/17 08:09 AM

Canada on Thursday released a plan to legalize recreational marijuana use across the country by July 2018. Well done!

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/11/17 12:56 PM

"Vehicle targeted in shooting outside restaurant in Vaughan: police"

http://globalnews.ca/news/3589272/vehicle-targeted-in-shooting-outside-restaurant-in-vaughan-police/

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/11/17 01:52 PM

What I can't figure out just yet if this is an escalation between between the Coluccio's & the Figliomeni's clans as mentioned in earlier articles, a possible restructure of the Ndrangheta clans or if this is a play to remove anybody that had ties to the Rizzuto's. But things are definitely heating up in Ontario.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/11/17 05:02 PM

Restructuring seems the most likely to me. There is also a theory suggested by a recent article about gangs that are alinged with the Rizzuto-Sollecito making their presence known. Do we know whether the target today is linked to Montreal?

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/12/17 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Restructuring seems the most likely to me. There is also a theory suggested by a recent article about gangs that are alinged with the Rizzuto-Sollecito making their presence known. Do we know whether the target today is linked to Montreal?

As far as I know there is no mention yet to suggest whether it is linked or not.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/12/17 03:06 AM

The Rizzutos are a shadow of its former self, the murder of Rocco Sollicito showed that, how would they make a move in the GTA?

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/12/17 10:10 AM

The Rizzutos are a shadow of its former self, the murder of Rocco Sollicito showed that, how would they make a move in the GTA?

I am not the one that said that.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/12/17 10:27 AM

I should have replied to Sonny, where he was talking about that article. I think media are only speculating just like we do.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/12/17 01:05 PM

I should have replied to Sonny, where he was talking about that article. I think media are only speculating just like we do.

I did post the following article earlier.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/03/recent-mob-violence-a-drug-war

I believe that is the article Sonny was referring to. Which can very well be a possibility. By partnering with other groups the Rizzuto clan can mount an attack.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/13/17 10:52 PM

I did post the following article earlier.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/03/recent-mob-violence-a-drug-war

I believe that is the article Sonny was referring to. Which can very well be a possibility. By partnering with other groups the Rizzuto clan can mount an attack.

Yeah, that was it. Thanks for posting.

Sollecito could've been killed by anyone. Surely the Rizzuto organization has lost some of their grip, but they are still capable to hit back. They've catched a break when the Scoppa group was busted. I wouldn't rule out that they'll come back out on top.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/14/17 03:03 AM

Sonny it's possible, because the Musitanos and Cun treras are in the thick of things in Ontario. But they are targets it seems.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/18/17 05:40 PM

"Police hunt for lone gunman after triple shooting at sports bar in Woodbridge, Ont."

http://globalnews.ca/news/3605501/3-injured-after-shooting-at-sports-bar-in-woodbridge/

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/19/17 01:02 PM

"Police hunt for lone gunman after triple shooting at sports bar in Woodbridge, Ont."

http://globalnews.ca/news/3605501/3-injured-after-shooting-at-sports-bar-in-woodbridge/

Link below is to the York Regional Police's news release about this incident.

http://www.yrp.ca/en/Modules/News/index.aspx?newsId=4a021ff7-ee68-40ed-9a9b-8bb05de93fb0
Posted By: Scalish

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/19/17 09:04 PM

My cousin was down the street when it went down, he said he heard the shots then knew for sure when about 25 cops flew by.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/19/17 09:13 PM

If something like this happens in Italy, the press would be all over it. The organized crime situation in Canada is crazy but we hear almost nothing.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/31/17 02:43 PM

As far as I know there is no mention yet to suggest whether it is linked or not.

Sonny_Black:

I don't know of any ties that the restaurant has to any organized-crime group or activity. The chef-owner of this restaurant used to be the chef at Match Bar and Grill, also in Woodbridge (Vaughan)--this is information that anyone could find using Google. Match closed down several years ago even though business was quite good for a good chunk of time. It had several investors, but I'm not sure the chef had ownership back then.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/31/17 04:12 PM

Sonny_Black:

I don't know of any ties that the restaurant has to any organized-crime group or activity. The chef-owner of this restaurant used to be the chef at Match Bar and Grill, also in Woodbridge (Vaughan)--this is information that anyone could find using Google. Match closed down several years ago even though business was quite good for a good chunk of time. It had several investors, but I'm not sure the chef had ownership back then.

Antimafia, I think it was Ciment who asked for those specifications (bakery something?) but thanks for explaining.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/31/17 04:29 PM

Sonny_Black:

Antimafia, I think it was Ciment who asked for those specifications (bakery something?) but thanks for explaining.

I was responding to your question back on July 11 about whether the restaurant where there was a shooting was linked to Montreal. It's my fault that I took so long to answer your question, but you'll see from one of my posts today in another thread that I also have taken a long time to answer another poster's question.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/02/17 12:43 AM

The article to which I've linked below shows an interactive map of significant organized-crime-related incidents that have plagued Vaughan since July 2013. I realize the title of the thread I created is about shootings since the beginning of this year--and the City of Vaughan is but one part of York Region--but I didn't know want to start another thread.

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/74...n-mob-violence/

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/06/17 12:08 PM

Sonny_Black:

The chef at the restaurant where the shooting took place is one of the owners. He has co-owned several restaurants with a particular individual, including the restaurant in question. This individual is a Commisso, but that's the only information I have for now--this person may not be related to anyone in the Commisso crime group. Vito Rizzuto's wife's cousin in the GTA knows both of these co-owners (there may be more than two). Stay tuned.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/11/17 11:22 PM

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/74...t-vaughan-home/

This home may belong to P.Cun-trera.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/12/17 12:55 AM

Based on what the neighbours told the reporter about the approximate age of the couple living there, the residence may belong to Paolo Cun trera.

The DOB for Paolo Cun trera that I have seen in various places is December 16, 1939. He would be 77 now. He would turn 78 later this year.

Paolo is the father of Giuseppe "Little Joe" Cun trera and the uncle of Giuseppe "Big Joe" Cun trera (who is a cousin to Alfonso Caruana).

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/15/17 09:30 AM

Organized crime’s interest in the illegal pot business is going up in smoke

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017...p-in-smoke.html

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/18/17 04:46 AM

Thanks for the info.
I guess they still haven't released the identity of the other 40 year old person that was shot and survived.

A just-published article--link is below--reveals that Saverio Serrano was the victim. It also indicates that Saverio and Silvio Serrano are in fact Diego Serrano's sons, which I guessed at but was never able to confirm.

The murdered Antonio Sergi ("Tony Large") was also apparently investigated in Project OPhoenix, which culminated in 2015 in the arrests of Diego Serrano and Giuseppe "Pino" Ursino, among others. (Carmine Verduci would have been arrested had he not been murdered in April 2014.)

Link to article that is currently behind a paywall:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat...rticle36024206/

If you have the "Instapaper Text" bookmark on your notebook/laptop or desktop PC, you should be able to see and save the article.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/18/17 03:43 PM

Thanks again... I figured they were probably related somehow.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/18/17 05:44 PM

Thanks again... I figured they were probably related somehow.

To be honest, I was leaning toward Silvio and Saverio not being Diego's sons. An article from 2000 about one of Diego's bail hearings mentioned his wife (Connie) and two young sons, all of whom were in court. I assumed one of these sons was Francesco, who is 33 or 34 now, and now I realize he very well might have been there that day. However, when I saw Silvio's and Saverio's names on the staff directory of that lighting company the day of the murder back in March,  I then wrongly assumed that neither was one of Diego's two sons because Francesco's name wasn't listed. When I later found a cannabis magazine article that indicated Silvio and Saverio were brothers,  I was fairly sure they were not Diego's sons. Again,  I wasn't able to find the information I needed to confirm or disconfirm.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/22/17 11:48 AM

The article to which I've linked below does not indicate to which shooting in Vaughan this morning's arrest in Waterloo, Ontario is related. Waterloo is about 1 hour, 20 minutes from Vaughan.

York Regional Police make arrest in Vaughan shooting investigation: source

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/75...igation-source/

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/22/17 09:54 PM

The article to which I've linked below does not indicate to which shooting in Vaughan this morning's arrest in Waterloo, Ontario is related. Waterloo is about 1 hour, 20 minutes from Vaughan.

York Regional Police make arrest in Vaughan shooting investigation: source

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/75...igation-source/

Update: Not of interest to those of us following this thread.

Police charge 8 people with drug, firearm offences in Vaughan

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/75...ces-in-vaughan/

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/22/17 10:34 PM

Thanks for the info.

A just-published article--link is below--reveals that Saverio Serrano was the victim. It also indicates that Saverio and Silvio Serrano are in fact Diego Serrano's sons, which I guessed at but was never able to confirm.

Their old man is a major player with strong links to Calabria. Sad the girl was killed.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/30/17 09:41 PM

Based on what the neighbours told the reporter about the approximate age of the couple living there, the residence may belong to Paolo Cun trera.

The DOB for Paolo Cun trera that I have seen in various places is December 16, 1939. He would be 77 now. He would turn 78 later this year.

Paolo is the father of Giuseppe "Little Joe" Cun trera and the uncle of Giuseppe "Big Joe" Cun trera (who is a cousin to Alfonso Caruana).

The Cun-treras in Woodbridge, just north of Toronto, are under attack. Why?

Police probing fire at Woodbridge home where shots were fired earlier this month

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2017/...this-month.html

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/30/17 11:55 PM

^^^^
The  fire investigation continues.

Links to photos on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/VaughanFire/status/903001078962294800/photo/1

https://twitter.com/ACollinsPhoto/status/902839868925112320/photo/1

https://twitter.com/VaughanFire/status/902795573539074051/photo/1

Link to video:

https://twitter.com/ACollinsPhoto/status/902777120518262784

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 02:48 AM

The Cun-treras in Woodbridge, just north of Toronto, are under attack. Why?

Police probing fire at Woodbridge home where shots were fired earlier this month

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2017/...this-month.html

Whoever it is obviously wants to control the drug markets in Ontario and must be a powerful clan(s) or gang(s).It will be interesting to know who it is ? The possibilities are many.... bikers, MTL mafia,Ndrangheta clan, Wolfpack gangs.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 08:25 AM

There are not many groups who dare to attack the Caruana-Cun trera family.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 09:26 AM

There are not many groups who dare to attack the Caruana-Cun trera family.

Somebody has obviously taken that path and have listed certain possibilities. I could of easily added more.
Posted By: m2w

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 12:48 PM

Whoever it is obviously wants to control the drug markets in Ontario and must be a powerful clan(s) or gang(s).It will be interesting to know who it is ? The possibilities are many.... bikers, MTL mafia,Ndrangheta clan, Wolfpack gangs.

probably the ndrangheta, i think that the caruana-c untrera's ordered the murderes of several calabrians (calautti, verduci, sergi, triumbari) to revenge agostino c untrera, there is probably a war between the siderno group and the caruana-c untrera's
Posted By: Stubbs

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 06:33 PM

Is that book "Bloodlines" by Lamothe and Nicaso any good? It covers the C.untera-Caruana gang.

Also, is Alfonso Caruana getting out soon or did he end up getting extradited to Italy?

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Stubbs
Is that book "Bloodlines" by Lamothe and Nicaso any good? It covers the C.untera-Caruana gang.

Also, is Alfonso Caruana getting out soon or did he end up getting extradited to Italy?

He's serving time on Sardinia. Last week there was another verdict.

He is 71 years old but still a person with a high risk of recurrence . For this reason, despite his advanced age, Alfonso Caruana, who was suggested by investigators as head of the Cun trera mafia family and nicknamed "the boss of two worlds", must Remain in custody. The Turin Judicial Tribunal established it with a decision confirmed by the Supreme Court.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 08:44 PM

I enjoyed reading the book. It is a good book to have if you are interested in the Cun-trera/Caruana clan.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: m2w

probably the ndrangheta, i think that the caruana-c untrera's ordered the murderes of several calabrians (calautti, verduci, sergi, triumbari) to revenge agostino c untrera, there is probably a war between the siderno group and the caruana-c untrera's

It is a possible theory among others. When Verduci was killed it was reported that there were two Ndrangheta clans that were having a fall out. It was alleged that one of them had close ties with the Cun-trera/Caruana clan.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 09:45 PM

If you read Italian here is the article on Alfonso.

http://www.lastampa.it/2017/08/24/cronac...C6O/pagina.html

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 09:54 PM

It is a possible theory among others. When Verduci was killed it was reported that there were two Ndrangheta clans that were having a fall out. It was alleged that one of them had close ties with the Cun-trera/Caruana clan.

That would be the Aquino-Coluccio clan.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 09:56 PM

Yes.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 10:07 PM

This article is dated prior to the Verduci killing.

"When police arrested Mafia fugitive Giuseppe Coluccio in the GTA in 2005, they noted he had ties to the [BadWord] crime family, according to Italian court documents."

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2010/06/30/gta_flavour_to_montreal_mob_doublemurder.html

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 10:08 PM

The structure of the Siderno Group is very complicated. You have the locali in the GTA with their leaders, but so many ranks it's impossible to figure it out.

https://www.vice.com/sv/article/ppm8gb/rules-regulations-and-blood-rituals-0000504-v21n11

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 10:20 PM

Yes.

There is also more information of their ties/alliance mentioned in the book Business or Blood page 117.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 10:23 PM

The structure of the Siderno Group is very complicated. You have the locali in the GTA with their leaders, but so many ranks it's impossible to figure it out.

https://www.vice.com/sv/article/ppm8gb/rules-regulations-and-blood-rituals-0000504-v21n11

Agree, their structure is more complicated than other organized crime groups.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 10:30 PM

https://news.vice.com/story/ontario-may-be-in-the-midst-of-a-mob-war

Ontario may be in the midst of a mob war

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 10:42 PM

I wouldn't rule out an internal feud, like we see in Montreal. But the stakes in Ontario are much higher there are the investments.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 11:01 PM

I wouldn't rule out an internal feud, like we see in Montreal. But the stakes in Ontario are much higher there are the investments.

If there is an internal war coupled with Peter Edwards theory that the Rizzuto's have formed an alliance with the Wolfpack gang. We may see a protracted war because both sides are well funded.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 11:21 PM

If there is an internal war coupled with Peter Edwards theory that the Rizzuto's have formed an alliance with the Wolfpack gang. We may see a protracted war because both sides are well funded.

The Rizzutos and Cun treras could be on the same side.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 11:30 PM

I also wonder about the attacks on the Musitanos. The Musitanos and Papalias have family members in Australia who are part of the Siderno Group down under.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 11:32 PM

The Rizzutos and Cun treras could be on the same side.

It is still too early to tell and based on speculation that these theories hold true it would explain many of the incidences that have been happening but again it is just speculation at this time.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 08/31/17 11:56 PM

It's confusing, don't forget the bust of the three York groups in 2015 headed by:
Giuseppe Nesci
Giuseppe Ursino
Diego Serrano

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/01/17 03:09 AM

It's confusing, don't forget the bust of the three York groups in 2015 headed by:
Giuseppe Nesci
Giuseppe Ursino
Diego Serrano

Verduci was part of that group. The following article makes a connection between Sergi and Serrano and may bolster the two warring Ontario clans theory previously mentioned.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-globe-and-mail-metro-ontario-edition/20170818/281509341299214

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/01/17 02:29 PM

One of my Twitter followers provided a link to a one-page document that was part of the minutes of a Vaughan City Council meeting--a Joe Cun-trera living at 96 Mellings Drive wrote a complaint letter and submitted it, which meant he wasn't necessarily at the meeting. Here's the link:

https://www.vaughan.ca/council/minutes_agendas/Communications/WS%200520_14_C1.pdf

The Canada411.ca site (white pages) shows someone else living at the above address--see http://www.canada411.ca/search/?stype=si&what=A+Piruzza&where=Woodbridge+ON.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/01/17 03:46 PM

Thanks Ciment, did you guys hear anything lately about Serrano's mentor the Colombian Bernardo Arcila Londoño?

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/02/17 12:00 AM

In an exchange I had with James Dubro (@jamesdubro) over on Twitter, he tweeted the following:

Yes. There is as you know not 1 Mafia but many. Older Calabr cells Vs new ones with Italy roots a big part of current discord & drug turf

5:48 PM - 1 Sep 2017

https://twitter.com/jamesdubro/status/903736281687101440
_________

I think Dubro is reaffirming what he had earlier heard a number of months ago after the murder of Angelo Musitano. His tweet might have been specific to the Hamilton underworld.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/02/17 12:27 AM

In an exchange I had with James Dubro (@jamesdubro) over on Twitter, he tweeted the following:

Yes. There is as you know not 1 Mafia but many. Older Calabr cells Vs new ones with Italy roots a big part of current discord & drug turf

5:48 PM - 1 Sep 2017

https://twitter.com/jamesdubro/status/903736281687101440

_________

I think Dubro is reaffirming what he had earlier heard a number of months ago after the murder of Angelo Musitano. His tweet might have been specific to the Hamilton underworld.

On twitter he mentions tensions with the Siderno group started in 2008. Consequently, that is the year Coluccio got arrested.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/02/17 12:49 AM

^^^^
That was me.

Giuseppe Coluccio was very likely capocrimine of the 'ndrangheta's board of control in the Greater Toronto Area up till his arrest on August 7, 2008, although the Operzione Il Crimine Phase 1 arrest warrants don't name him. Angelino Figlomeni became the new capocrimine within that month.

The copy below is a bullet point that begins at the bottom of p. 1922 of volume 3 of the arrest warrants for the anti-ndrangheta operation that culminated in July 2010:

ognuna di queste famiglie sarebbe rappresentata dal Capo o dal Vice – Capo all’interno di una Commissione. Nell’agosto del 2008, il capo della Commissione sarebbe stato FIGLIOMENI Angelino, la cui famiglia è originaria di Siderno;

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/02/17 05:20 AM

Thanks Ciment, did you guys hear anything lately about Serrano's mentor the Colombian Bernardo Arcila Londoño?

Sorry , I did not.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/02/17 07:48 AM

I don't think the arrival of (calabrian) new comers are limited to Hamilton, because they don't have the crime of mafia association Canada and Australia are the promised lands of the international 'ndrangheta.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/18/17 01:37 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/michaels-restaurant-shooting-toronto-1.4293881

Shooting in a Toronto restaurant

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/20/17 10:22 PM

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2017/...t-shooting.html

Video of restaurant shooting in Toronto.

"No indication Giannini was involved in anything suspicious to cause the shooting, and that it appears he has no affiliation to his brother, who is a “well-known criminal over seas.”
Posted By: spartan

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/20/17 10:32 PM

Video of restaurant shooting in Toronto

Not to nitpick, but that restaurant is in downtown Toronto and not in York region.

Also, I don't think the deceased is even Italian (I believe he is Lebanese) and the police have stated he wasn't known to them in any way in terms of OC.

I actually know ppl who knew him and they all say he was a gentleman. Very successful in real estate.

BUT, his brother was involved in shady things in Thailand and another relative (who is Lebanese) is a former "nightclub king" in Toronto.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/21/17 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: spartan

Video of restaurant shooting in Toronto

Not to nitpick, but that restaurant is in downtown Toronto and not in York region.

Also, I don't think the deceased is even Italian (I believe he is Lebanese) and the police have stated he wasn't known to them in any way in terms of OC.

I actually know ppl who knew him and they all say he was a gentleman. Very successful in real estate.

BUT, his brother was involved in shady things in Thailand and another relative (who is Lebanese) is a former "nightclub king" in Toronto.

FYI........I did mention Toronto in both posts.

Just because the title refers to York region does not mean there will not be a connection in the distant future. If you look at other earlier posts, you will see Sergi was mentioned and he was killed in Etobicoke not York region; but we later found out through news articles that came out showing a connection to York region shootings. I view it as a puzzle. Sometimes pieces may fit and sometimes they do not.

Thanks for sharing info on his brother.
Posted By: spartan

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/22/17 12:59 AM

Ciment, the brother was a really shady guy in Thailand. Big time fraud, boiler room scams.... a couple manslaughter charges etc etc. I believe he was deported after being found in possession of heroin. From what I know, he now lives in Montreal.

I have a feeling this guy was killed because of his brother.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/22/17 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: spartan
Ciment, the brother was a really shady guy in Thailand. Big time fraud, boiler room scams.... a couple manslaughter charges etc etc. I believe he was deported after being found in possession of heroin. From what I know, he now lives in Montreal.

I have a feeling this guy was killed because of his brother.

Agree, his brother seems to have quite a rap sheet.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 09/30/17 01:05 PM

"Police seeking suspect, witnesses after shots fired at Vaughan house"

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/75...-vaughan-house/

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 02/13/19 11:10 PM

A strange minor incident just after 1:00 am EST earlier today (Wednesday). If you tap/click on the link below, you will be redirected so that you can both see the York Regional Police post and the accompanying video.

https://www.facebook.com/141554285913036/posts/2055408717860907

Read more about the story at the link below.

Police release video of suspect in Vaughan residential shooting
http://ctv.news/2nc6svO

-----------

I don't think members of organized crime were targeted; rather, my guess is that members of organized crime were perhaps targeting some wealthy businessperson in this very affluent neighbourhood.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 03/06/19 01:15 AM

There really isn't an existing thread in which I could have dumped the article to which I've linked a bit farther below.

Great interview by Peter Edwards of the Toronto Star. I've linked to a website different from his newspaper's because you'll likely hit a paywall if you try to read the article on the latter.

Vaughan Hells Angel killer looks back on outlaw life that won’t let him go

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...ack-on-outlaw-life-that-won-t-let-him-go
Posted By: NickleCity

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 03/10/19 10:10 PM

Interesting article - no wonder the Canadian landscape is so confusing, at least for Americans. Looks like everything is connected.

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/02/21 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by antimafia

Slap in the face': Man charged with botched mob hit of Vaughan woman pleads guilty, released

https://www.thestar.com/local-vaugh...aughan-woman-pleads-guilty-released.html

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/28/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ciment
Thanks for the info.

The murdered Antonio Sergi ("Tony Large") was also apparently investigated in Project OPhoenix, which culminated in 2015 in the arrests of Diego Serrano and Giuseppe "Pino" Ursino, among others. (Carmine Verduci would have been arrested had he not been murdered in April 2014.)

Link to article that is currently behind a paywall:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...impossible-to-expelthem/article36024206/

If you have the "Instapaper Text" bookmark on your notebook/laptop or desktop PC, you should be able to see and save the article.

Article to which I've linked below may not be accessible to you because of a paywall.

For the subject fraud case, the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC)--a regulatory agency--hired Toronto-based criminal lawyer Frank Addario.

Addario at one point defended Vittorio Mirarchi in Sal Montagna's murder trial. Years later, Addario would go on to represent Leonardo Rizzuto.

Secrecy shrouds fraud case against Canadian Cannabis Corp.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...aud-case-against-canadian-cannabis-corp/

Excerpt:

In 2017, there were two high-profile murders in Toronto that had ties to Canadian Cannabis Corp. It is not known if either of these incidents have anything to do with the confidential order.
In March of that year, a gunman opened fire on a BMW in a parking lot outside a lighting store owned by Mr. Serrano. The intended target, Mr. Serrano’s brother, Saverio Serrano, was wounded, but his girlfriend, 28-year-old Mila Barberi, was killed. Saverio Serrano is one of the family members who the OSC alleges improperly received investor funds.

Two weeks after Ms. Barberi’s slaying, Tony Sergi, a known Mafia figure and cannabis grower, was executed by gunfire in his driveway in the Toronto suburb of Etobicoke. Mr. Sergi had engaged in talks with Canadian Cannabis Corp. about the company possibly acquiring some of his cannabis facilities and had purchased some lighting equipment from the company.

The OSC has also alleged that $45,000 of the investor funds flowed to Silvio Serrano’s father, Diego Serrano, who has been convicted multiple times of drug-trafficking offences. In his compelled interview with the OSC, though, Silvio Serrano distanced himself from his father, explaining that his father hadn’t been present for a large portion of his life.
 However, he acknowledged he acted as a surety for his father when Diego Serrano was arrested in 2015, something he felt compelled to do as his son. “I wasn’t proud of Diego and his history,” he told the investigators.
Posted By: MolochioInduced

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 07/28/21 02:59 AM

Two weeks after Ms. Barberi’s slaying, Tony Sergi, a known Mafia figure and cannabis grower, was executed by gunfire in his driveway in the Toronto suburb of Etobicoke. Mr. Sergi had engaged in talks with Canadian Cannabis Corp. about the company possibly acquiring some of his cannabis facilities and had purchased some lighting equipment from the company.

Antonio Sergi had a facility that was previously a Hells Angel bar in Hamilton. The Hells Angels link to the shooter in the Serrano attempt and Musitano murder, being Cudmore, might link the same group to Sergi.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...er-post-reveals-link-to-murdered-mobster

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 06/10/22 02:06 AM

The name of the shooting victim has not yet been released. He was taken to hospital with serious injuries. This incident in the Greater Toronto Area’s third Little Italy may not be mob related — the victim’s name may help determine whether it is.

https://www.yrp.ca/en/Modules/News/index.aspx?newsId=112d3aa0-9a29-4764-a309-c6ca3a93ea55

https://www.cp24.com/news/man-shot-in-a-car-in-woodbridge-police-1.5940287

https://twitter.com/marcliverman/status/1535005932123480066?s=21&t=_UNWyJ2xvsyBHvvdML9sYQ

https://twitter.com/traceykent/status/1535012135855611916?s=21&t=hvJsZc_2tB9TzERP3KevQg

https://twitter.com/traceykent/status/1535012135855611916?s=21&t=_UNWyJ2xvsyBHvvdML9sYQ

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 06/12/22 12:12 AM

^^^^
UPDATE: Video appears to show moments leading up to brazen Woodbridge daylight shooting

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...-to-brazen-woodbridge-daylight-shooting/

Re: Shootings in York Region (n. of Toronto) in 2017 - 05/09/23 05:31 PM

“The York Regional Police Serious and Organized Crime Bureau has taken carriage of this case.”

UPDATE – NEW INFORMATION AND SUSPECT SKETCHES BEING RELEASED IN CASE OF DRIVE-BY SHOOTING IN SCHOMBERG

https://www.yrp.ca/en/Modules/News/index.aspx?newsId=9c0fb0a8-859b-4833-9395-9542357f81e5

I’ve been familiar with this incident since it happened but I never imagined anyone in Paul Volpe’s old neighbourhood would be targeted in a drive-by.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET