Home

Mobsters allowed facial hair ?

Posted By: MeyerLansky

Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/18/16 07:39 PM

I saw some who have, but i know about a rule that you cant have
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/18/16 11:03 PM

I don't believe it was a rule, but there was a stigma attached to it. Only in the US, not Italy.

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/18/16 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Hollander
I don't believe it was a rule, but there was a stigma attached to it. Only in the US, not Italy.

No its a rule...

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/18/16 11:19 PM

It was appropriate as a mobster to have a shaved face, but it's not an important rule. They won't held a sitdown if you have a mustache.

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/19/16 12:01 AM

It was appropriate as a mobster to have a shaved face, but it's not an important rule. They won't held a sitdown if you have a mustache.

Ok thanks

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/19/16 12:21 AM

It was also a NY thing I guess.
Posted By: blueracing347

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/19/16 12:35 AM

They always show that picture of Scarpa with a moustache. But for the most part you never see those guys with any facial hair.
Posted By: Ryan98366

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/19/16 04:53 PM

Why would they not have a sit down with a wiseguy with facial hair? I don't get it.

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/19/16 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: MeyerLansky

No its a rule...

Why is this a rule?

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/19/16 04:55 PM

I'm sure this is an ethic or cultural thing. I don't get it.

I live in a western state in a rural area and I would guess 75% of the men over the age of 30 have permanent facial hair. You would look unmanly to not have facial hair where I live.

Would love someone to go deeper on this question.
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/19/16 05:43 PM

I would think it started because they wanted everyone to pass for legitimate business men. So that would have meant having a clean-cut appearance. And I don't mean to denigrate anyone in law enforcement, but I think police do tend to observe people's appearance and whether it fits the pattern of people they've arrested previously. So a guy who looks like a clean cut small business guy or working stiff will get less scrutiny than a guy who looks like a "hippie" or a biker. And the Mob is an authoritarian, almost military like gang, organizations like that tend to make up strict rules about how the members are supposed to look and act.

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/19/16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Ryan98366

Why would they not have a sit down with a wiseguy with facial hair? I don't get it.

I mean they won't hold a sitdown over facial hair. You won't tell a guy like Sam Decavalcante to shave his stache.
Posted By: bronx

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/19/16 08:52 PM

it was like, why are you hiding behind the hair mentality to some, or a guy wearing dark glasses in a sit.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/20/16 08:24 AM

Neither the Yankees or the mafia allow facial hair, unless you're Don Mattingly, or Billy Batts. This should settle it.
Posted By: DanteMoltisanti

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/20/16 11:10 AM

It's a Northeast , Italian-American cultural thing regarding facial hair mainly with the guys older than me. I'm 32, beards are more acceptable and actually popular now in my generation Italian-American culture but still not completely 100% acceptable in the life.

Remember when Charles Carneglia grew a long ass Santa like beard as his defense that he wasn't in the mafia , it didn't work for him. It's hard for me to explain to people to make them understand, but it's Norheast Italian-American cultural thing for men to be clean cut with only maybe a mustache, particularly with the guys in their 50s+.......

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/20/16 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: DanteMoltisanti
It's a Northeast , Italian-American cultural thing regarding facial hair mainly with the guys older than me. I'm 32, beards are more acceptable and actually popular now in my generation Italian-American culture but still not completely 100% acceptable in the life.

Remember when Charles Carneglia grew a long ass Santa like beard as his defense that he wasn't in the mafia , it didn't work for him. It's hard for me to explain to people to make them understand, but it's Norheast Italian-American cultural thing for men to be clean cut with only maybe a mustache, particularly with the guys in their 50s+.......

So there are some young members (20+) who have facial hair ?
Posted By: DanteMoltisanti

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/20/16 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: MeyerLansky
Originally Posted By: DanteMoltisanti

So there are some young members (20+) who have facial hair ?

Of course there are younger guys with facial hair, this isn't the movies or Sopranos
Posted By: mightyhealthy

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/20/16 11:23 PM

Lol

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/20/16 11:49 PM

Haha,Well thanks thats good to know.
Posted By: Beenaround

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/21/16 06:21 PM

"No Facial Hair" - an unenforced rule that dates back to the Mafia "Young Turks" overthrow of the "Mustache Petes".
Posted By: UncleVig

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/27/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Beenaround
"No Facial Hair" - an unenforced rule that dates back to the Mafia "Young Turks" overthrow of the "Mustache Petes".

That is what I always heard, I have seen pics of Greg Scarpa with a moustache and I am pretty sure he had his button at that time too.

I dont know whats up with Charley Carneglia , I dont know if he is made or not but the last pic I saw of him he had a beard like Harry the Hunchback Riccobene
Posted By: gangstereport

Re: Mobsters allowed facial hair ? - 12/27/16 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: UncleVig
Originally Posted By: Beenaround

That is what I always heard, I have seen pics of Greg Scarpa with a moustache and I am pretty sure he had his button at that time too.

I dont know whats up with Charley Carneglia , I dont know if he is made or not but the last pic I saw of him he had a beard like Harry the Hunchback Riccobene

he grew the beard while in prison during the early 2000s apparently he started growing it because it was annoying other mob guys in prison and he did not like most of them he believed a lot of them would rat him out. It came up at his trial I think one of the defences witness testified about it he was one crazy fuck in the book about him the story is he killed john favera dissolved his body in acid but it took longer than expected angelo ruggerio complained to gotti when carneliga found out he was pissed so he got one of the bones and dropped it in ruggerios soup
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET