Home

Which boss had the most morals?

Posted By: Jhype11

Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 10:05 AM

Out of all the bosses in history which would you say had the most morals? The mafia is sometimes described as the "gentleman gangsters" of organized crime but the more I've read about the mob the more I see that statement is bullshit. But has there ever been a boss of the New York families that hasn't been a sick fuck like Vito Genovese but actually been a decent human being?
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 11:12 AM

The only that come on my mind is Angelo Bruno,that ordered to his made men but not to his associates to stay away from drugs and (for the sicilian way) was too soft 'because used the murder as last resort.
Posted By: kingoflittlenewyork

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 11:30 AM

Depending on your definition of morals, I would say not a single one. Now if you want to bend your definition to grade at a curve you could get quite a few names but you don't get to be a boss of criminals by keeping your hands clean.

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 11:43 AM

Im talking about guys who obviously controlled gambling, loansharking, extortion and killed other mobsters, but didn't hurt civilians or do anything scummy.

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 11:44 AM

To be fair, I've never read anything bad written about Carlo Gambino unless anyone on here can think of anything?
Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: kingoflittlenewyork
Depending on your definition of morals, I would say not a single one. Now if you want to bend your definition to grade at a curve you could get quite a few names but you don't get to be a boss of criminals by keeping your hands clean.

I disagree. There is a difference between someone who loves to kill and someone who goes out of his way to diffuse situations and avoid bloodshed. If you can't see the difference then you must be some saint.

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 03:27 PM

If I were to name names, I'd say Angelo Bruno, maybe Frank Costello. He wasn't a boss, but Joe Arcuri was said to have been an all around class act.
Posted By: GaryH

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 05:22 PM

Angelo Bruno was quite nice for a mob boss
Posted By: F_white

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 05:47 PM

Costello and Bruno two class acts.
Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 06:15 PM

Toto Reiina

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
Toto Reiina

I have to agree. He makes Ghandi look like Hitler. Just an amazing human being. I tear up every time his name is mentioned.
Posted By: gangstereport

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
The only that come on my mind is Angelo Bruno,that ordered to his made men but not to his associates to stay away from drugs and (for the sicilian way) was too soft 'because used the murder as last resort.

Originally Posted By: GaryH
Angelo Bruno was quite nice for a mob boss

This is ridiculous bruno was hardly docile guys more guys were killed on his orders than in scarfos Bruno even sanctioned a hit on judge i mean come on this guy is hardly docile so many guys got whacked during his era i am sure if someone close to him had flipped everyone would be saying bruno was trigger happy ridiculous

He told wiseguys within his family to stop dealing drugs while the entire time he was getting a massive cut of the pizza connection he allowed the zips to set up in his terriorty in exchange for a cut he was making thousands of these zips he helped them set up the cherry hill gambinos all of that bruno has strong connections to

and your forgetting about raymond maranantos he had major drug racket when scarfo became boss raymond goes to see him and tells him do we have the same deal i had when bruno was the boss that we pretend to be against drugs but we are really dealing on the side.

part of the reason tony caprigno wanted bruno dead was because bruno was being a hypocrite was banning other mobsters from dealing drugs
Posted By: DB

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 09:24 PM

I'm not going to offer an opinion about morals as any boss is a murderer and thief but Funzi Tierri was very level headed

Gignate deservingly gets a lot of credit of building a platform for future strength but Tierri deserves credit as well.

He was one of the most powerful mafia leaders that no one discusses , mainly due to his style . However his style was very important in schooling the WS leaders today and earily similiar . Low key , highly intelligent , disciplined , an expert racketeer for the long play and against mindless violence . He was possibly one of the first ones that downplayed the need for hard collections that drew unwanted and unnecessary heat .
Posted By: BillyBrizzi

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 09:31 PM

Russell Bufalino comes to mind..

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 10:34 PM

@Ralph

Thanks for the nomination. Like I said that is a bent definition of morals but then again this is bb

Can anyone finally give me a definite answer on Gotti's show size?
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 11:03 PM

Jimmy Lanza of SF, Joe Civello of Dallas, good call on Bufalino. Angelo Bruno? I can get you certificate to ascend to heaven from the Pope if you believe that.
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
I can get you certificate to ascend to heaven from the Pope if you believe that.

From Michele "The Pope" Greco of the Palermo mafia commission? smile
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/04/16 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: DB
I'm not going to offer an opinion about morals as any boss is a murderer and thief but Funzi Tierri was very level headed

Gignate deservingly gets a lot of credit of building a platform for future strength but Tierri deserves credit as well.

He was one of the most powerful mafia leaders that no one discusses , mainly due to his style . However his style was very important in schooling the WS leaders today and earily similiar . Low key , highly intelligent , disciplined , an expert racketeer for the long play and against mindless violence . He was possibly one of the first ones that downplayed the need for hard collections that drew unwanted and unnecessary heat .

Tieri had Bruno killed though. And under Bruno at least 10 authorized murders happened.
Posted By: DB

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/05/16 01:12 AM

there is no boss free of murder and backstabbing - in that job those are mandatory pre requisites just to apply

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/05/16 01:32 AM

Maybe I should rephrase the question... "Which boss harmed civillians the least and didn't do anything fucked up?"

Some of the worst bosses were people like Anthony Casso who killed two innocent guys with families because they talked to the feds. Then you have Vito Genovese who protected a peadophile in his family who was a captain.

When I asked which boss had the most morals, I was trying to find out about bosses who wouldn't do shit like the stuff I mentioned above.

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/05/16 03:42 PM

Costello would get my vote I guess, just because no terrible stories come to mind.

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/05/16 03:53 PM

Luigi Manocchio
Posted By: Holyoke

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/05/16 04:03 PM

That's a good one. Were there any "hits" while he was on the clock?

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/05/16 04:19 PM

two guys with ties to the mob were killed in his reign Mark Eldridge in 2004 and Patrick ''Patsy" Squillante 2005 it is very unlikely infact i am nearly certain he had nothing to do with these murders

feds said he was very old school and low key no real violence in his era ran it peacefully
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/05/16 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Jhype11
Im talking about guys who obviously controlled gambling, loansharking, extortion and killed other mobsters, but didn't hurt civilians or do anything scummy.

I agree. Loansharking, extortion and murdering people is perfectly reasonable and upstanding behavior.

New York is such a shitty place to live now. Where do you have to go to find a dead body in this country?
Posted By: pmac

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/05/16 04:21 PM

Morals again is please and thank you type shit correct? Probably no boss ever. Maybe they do a kind gesture here and there. I mean there's been a ton of info on Nicky scarfo I can't remember him ever doing something nice or kind helping someone out anyone? Gotti did fireworks for people profaci got back stolen shit from a church but then order the thieves death I think. Merlino gave out turkeys like he was nino brown.ect. actually there probably a bunch of bosses who never did a nice thing. Take tony ducks you've never heard a thing but him on tape talking about we make a guy and we kill them. He was a boss for 15 yes think of how many hits he order. That's be a good thread tony ducks. No one in his family challenged him ever.
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/05/16 05:36 PM

None
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/05/16 09:16 PM

The morgue.
Posted By: alicecooper

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/06/16 06:19 PM

They were/are all pieces of shit.

Morals mean two different things to them and us. To them it would be "moral" to cut my nuts off and put them in my mouth while I bled to death for what I just said above. They are leaders of the FUCKING MAFIA WTF LOL!!!???
Posted By: Beenaround

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 04/06/16 07:24 PM

They wouldn't be the Boss if they had morals.. Doesn't exist in their vocabulary.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Which boss had the most morals? - 02/04/17 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Jhype11

Well if we are just going to go back to the late 80's and early 90's when the mafia reached its apex, and before Giuliani's purge, then straight off the top of my head I can think of instances where citizens were hurt/killed in crimes committed by the Gambino, Colombo, Genovese and Lucchese administrations.

Sometimes several instances.

And that's just in a ten year period.

But of course, if you put a mobster on the cover of Time magazine and give his entire family a platform to lionize him then it's natural that some people are going to think the mafia are somehow better than the average criminal - which, of course, is complete nonsense.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET