Home

Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative

Posted By: Nicholas

Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 12:03 AM

I'm talking guys who have decided to spill their guts, as opposed to "cooperate" with the FBI/Prosecution out of disillusionment or spite, as opposed to not wanting to do prison time.

Only guy that I can immediately think of would be Fat Pete Chiodo, who I'm fairly certain was not Under Indictment (UI) at the time; am I right? There's gotta be others.
Posted By: LurkerGuy

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 12:10 AM

Chiodo had a contract on his life when he flipped, due to taking a plea Casso didn't want him to take. I wouldn't call anyone flipping to save their life acting of their own initiative.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 12:22 AM

Yeah, Chiodo flipped after being shot several times (his body fat saving him). He was a dead man and he knew it. He flipped to save his own skin.

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 01:03 AM

So regardless of Chido; anyone flip out of spite/initiative/motivation/hate & contempt?
Posted By: bronx

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 02:03 AM

little al
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 02:10 AM

Greg Scarpa?
Posted By: funkster

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 02:13 AM

Scarpa became an informant after getting busted and continued to further his own career.

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 02:15 AM

Little Al was, like Chiodo, facing a murder contract.

Scarpa was an informant, but never "flipped" per se. (If by "flipped" we mean the whole testimony/debrief/witness protection thing). In any event, his cooperation didn't help him at all.
Posted By: mikeyballs211

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 02:23 AM

Franzese was under indictment when he flipped do i have that right? I thought i remember reading he thought he was gonna get whacked and their was a rumo unconfirmed that his pops may have been involved.. Any insight guys?

Another ? Off topic.. When Franzese was made was he assigned to his pops cree or Andy Russo? Thought i recall him bein w Russo but not positive
Posted By: NE1020

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 02:36 AM

Probably a dead end question, but anyone ever flip out of guilt? LOL
Posted By: mikeyballs211

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 02:38 AM

Not likely NE, though some of them like to claim that and ignore the fact theyre facing 25-Life

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 02:41 AM

Wasn't Scarpa only facing a short jail sentence when he decided to become an informant? I imagine it's the same for that Irish punk Whitey Bulger. Granted those rumors of, "...only facing a short sentence, so & so agreed/decided to become an informant..."

It makes me wonder; did they become an informant to continue being a criminal, or where they genuinely afraid of prison?
Posted By: funkster

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Nicholas
Wasn't Scarpa only facing a short jail sentence when he decided to become an informant? I imagine it's the same for that Irish punk Whitey Bulger. Granted those rumors of, "...only facing a short sentence, so & so agreed/decided to become an informant..."

It makes me wonder; did they become an informant to continue being a criminal, or where they genuinely afraid of prison?

As I recall he was popped on a highjacking charge. I would presume he wasn't facing much time in the grand scheme of things...particularly since it was the early 60s.
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: LurkerGuy
Little Al was, like Chiodo, facing a murder contract.

Scarpa was an informant, but never "flipped" per se. (If by "flipped" we mean the whole testimony/debrief/witness protection thing). In any event, his cooperation didn't help him at all.

Not sure if you're talking about D'Arco, Chiodo, or Scarpa but they were all helped immensely by cooperating.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 09:43 AM

Quote:
In January 1995, Salemme was indicted on racketeering charges along with Bulger and Flemmi. Salemme was convicted and sentenced to 11 years imprisonment. In 1999, while serving his racketeering sentence, Salemme learned that both Bulger and Flemmi were government informants, and that both men had provided information on Salemme to their FBI handlers. Salemme now agreed to provide the government with information on the FBI handling of Bulger and Flemmi.

About Chiodo e D'Arco

Quote:
On May 8, 1991 two shooters ambushed Chiodo at a gas station in Staten Island where he was working on a car. Chiodo received 12 bullet wounds in the arms, legs, and torso, but survived the attack.[1][3] Doctors credited Chiodo's 500 pound (227 kg.) weight for saving his life; his massive girth prevented the bullets from penetrating a vital organ or artery.[4] Following the unsuccessful assassination attempt, Lucchese mobsters delivered a blunt threat to Chiodo's lawyer that they would kill Chiodo's wife if he testified, a violation of a longstanding Mafia rule against harming women. While Chiodo had turned down several offers to flip, the threat against his wife was the last straw. He opted to break his blood oath and become a government witness, by his own account, to protect his family.[5] The government quickly brought Chiodo's immediate family into the federal Witness Protection Program.

With the failure of his gunmen to murder Chiodo, D'Arco soon became afraid of the wrath of his bosses. After a 1991 meeting during which he feared being murdered, D'Arco went into hiding and soon became a government witness himself

Casso was so blood thirsty that ordered to kill the sister and the uncle of Chiodo,acting more like totò riina than a american boss

Quote:
On March 10, 1992, Lucchese associate Michael Spinelli shot Patricia Capozallo, Chiodo's sister, while she was driving in Bensonhurst. Capozallo suffered wounds to the arm, back and neck but survived.[6][7] On February 2, 1993, the body of Frank Signorino, Chiodo's uncle, was found in the trunk of a car in East New York. The body displayed several gunshot wounds to the head

Accetturo flipped because if but a contract on him and his son was in the rules,to target a woman (his wife) was against all rules.So flipped

Quote:
He also learned that Amuso and Casso had marked his wife for death. Although Accetturo had known that Amuso and Casso had put contracts on both him and his son, the discovery that they were targeting his wife as well was the last straw. Not only did it violate a long-standing Mafia rule against harming women, but Mrs. Acceturo had served many of them meals in headier days.

Bill Cutolo jr that flipped because little al persico when killed his father who was the underboss, and former loyal to Vic Orena treated badly his body.
Posted By: salvi62

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/14/15 01:13 PM

That Tommy Karate guy flipped on a drunk driving charge. I forget his name , was it "Grillo"?
Posted By: Dbm7

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/15/15 02:30 PM

James Tartaglione in the Bonnano family

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 02:54 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/nyregion/10mob.html?pagewanted=print&_r=0

James Tartaglione, a onetime Bonanno family captain who became a government witness in 2003 and has testified against fellow mobsters in several recent trials, explained the distinction to a jury in 2004.

“There’s people that go out there, just have a knack for earning money,” Mr. Tartaglione said at the trial of Bonanno boss Joseph Massino, an earner in his own right who was forced to give up more than $9 million in ill-gotten gains after he was convicted of murder and racketeering, and then agreed to cooperate with prosecutors. “They know how to put businesses together, and they are just good at what they do, as far as business. Then you got those tough guys that could go out and kill somebody and do whatever they have to do.”[b][/b]

Why Tartaglione is differet ? murder and racketeering,don't wan't the life and so rat, why is out of his iniative ?
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 03:16 PM

The only way I'll flip is if I flip my shit. You dig?
Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bronx
little al

D'Arco wasnt even facing charges but I guess if saving your own ass is 'initiative' then he would qualify.

Tartaglione is the best posted example.
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 04:31 PM

According to the Vinny Gorgeous book, not only was he charged with racketeering himself, he was supposedly upset about being shelved and sent to Florida.

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
little al

D'Arco wasnt even facing charges but I guess if saving your own ass is 'initiative' then he would qualify.

Why Tartaglione is a good example ? D'arco flipped for save the his and his son al jr life; tartaglione flipped because was facing murder and racketeering and don't wan't to die in prison.
Posted By: slumpy

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 07:13 PM

Whose that fat cop who claims to have actually been made? I know he turned witness and I'm pretty sure he claims that was purely of his own initiative. He turns up in mafia documentaries from time to time.

"they can call me a rat, the term don't bother me" I recall him saying in one.

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
tartaglione flipped because was facing murder and racketeering and don't wan't to die in prison.

Youre incorrect regards Tartaglione.

He was facing Zero charges at the time but flipped due to anticipation of charges following Massino's rolling to the feds.
Posted By: bronx

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 07:35 PM

fat Ron from philly

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 07:36 PM

Previte
Posted By: slumpy

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 07:40 PM

So was Previte actually made like he says, or is this just a wild claim from a liar?

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 07:47 PM

Joe Dogs Iannuzzi?

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
Joe Dogs Iannuzzi?

Good call.

Although getting 3/4 beaten to death is in itself, a little initiative wink

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 07:53 PM

LOL

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 08:20 PM

little al

Why Tartaglione is a good example ? D'arco flipped for save the his and his son al jr life; tartaglione flipped because was facing murder and racketeering and don't wan't to die in prison.

You're misreading the article you cited. Massino was the one facing murder and racketeering charges. Tartaglione wasn't facing charges when he flipped, but when Vitale agreed to testify he knew it was only a matter of time, and agreed to wear a wire talking to Massino.
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/16/15 11:59 PM

little al

Yeah, if his book is to be believed, (who knows?) he thought they were going to clip him.
Posted By: pmac

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/17/15 01:26 AM

This guy Bobby deluca down Providence flipped it be er really came out why. I guess he was caught red handing in a extortion and was gonna get a 3 strike life bid. His sneaky ass wore a wire didn't have to testify cause all party's plead out to the new England strip club shakedowns and probaly living in Florida. He was close to Frank salemmi and Ray Jr.
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/17/15 03:49 AM

I imagine it's the same for that Irish punk Whitey Bulger.

Bulger's a bit of a different case altogether though. In his case, he was able to take out "insurance" so to speak. Even if you compare him to Scarpa, Scarpa's handlers were found to have not been aware of the sheer magnitude of his criminality, unless you believe that DeVecchio was indeed as guilty as he was charged with. In the Bulger case, FBI agents were found to have actively supplied information to Bulger which helped him continue his enterprises and commit murder. Less "turning a blind eye" than becoming complicit themselves.

A rats a rat though, I guess it's just semantics beyond that. Why do you refer to Bulger as a "punk" though? Aren't they all "punks" by that distinction? Especially, in this particular case, Steve Flemmi who was already an informant? Bulger had already served a lengthy sentence by the time he was providing information to Rico and Connelly. Less "afraid" of prison and more just not wanting to have to go back, it would seem. He'd already spent many years at Alcatraz, amongst other penitentiaries. He was scum, for sure, but punk connotates, I dont know, some sort of weakness...? And I wouldn't call Scarpa or Bulger weak. More rat cunning and calculating, if anything.

More on topic, Pasquale Barbaro aka "Il Principale" was an Australian boss who flipped in the early '90's after he'd left his wife to marry a 23 year old Filipino woman. He was later murdered, but provided a lot of information to authorities while he was not actually facing any charges himself. Granted, the family of his spurned wife (Agrestas IIRC) may or may not have been after him.
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/17/15 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: LurkerGuy
little al

You're misreading the article you cited. Massino was the one facing murder and racketeering charges. Tartaglione wasn't facing charges when he flipped, but when Vitale agreed to testify he knew it was only a matter of time, and agreed to wear a wire talking to Massino.

You're right, Tartaglione flipped after Vitale did because Vitale had info on murders Tartaglione was involved in back in the day. But he didn't wear a wire on Massino, Massino was already in prison. Tartaglione wore a wire on Tony Urso, Cammarano & Vinny Basciano a few times.
Posted By: mulberry

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/18/15 04:23 AM

Zerilli in Detroit even though he had nothing to give up

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/18/15 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: mulberry
Zerilli in Detroit even though he had nothing to give up

Great example.

Amazing nothing come from it.

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/19/15 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
I imagine it's the same for that Irish punk Whitey Bulger.

Bulger's a bit of a different case altogether though. In his case, he was able to take out "insurance" so to speak. Even if you compare him to Scarpa, Scarpa's handlers were found to have not been aware of the sheer magnitude of his criminality, unless you believe that DeVecchio was indeed as guilty as he was charged with. In the Bulger case, FBI agents were found to have actively supplied information to Bulger which helped him continue his enterprises and commit murder. Less "turning a blind eye" than becoming complicit themselves.

A rats a rat though, I guess it's just semantics beyond that. Why do you refer to Bulger as a "punk" though? Aren't they all "punks" by that distinction? Especially, in this particular case, Steve Flemmi who was already an informant? Bulger had already served a lengthy sentence by the time he was providing information to Rico and Connelly. Less "afraid" of prison and more just not wanting to have to go back, it would seem. He'd already spent many years at Alcatraz, amongst other penitentiaries. He was scum, for sure, but punk connotates, I dont know, some sort of weakness...? And I wouldn't call Scarpa or Bulger weak. More rat cunning and calculating, if anything.

More on topic, Pasquale Barbaro aka "Il Principale" was an Australian boss who flipped in the early '90's after he'd left his wife to marry a 23 year old Filipino woman. He was later murdered, but provided a lot of information to authorities while he was not actually facing any charges himself. Granted, the family of his spurned wife (Agrestas IIRC) may or may not have been after him.

Cool info about the Aussie. Interesting.

As for Bulger being a punk, I'm going off personal opinion, and confirmed by what Phil Leonetti said about him in a Huffington Post editorial.
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/19/15 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
Scarpa's handlers were found to have not been aware of the sheer magnitude of his criminality, unless you believe that DeVecchio was indeed as guilty as he was charged with.

I think he is guilty. Just because he is acquitted doesn't mean the verdict should be accepted as "gospel" by every person. There are plenty of cases of innocents being convicted and even more of guilty ones going free, especially criminal politicians and law enforcement.
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: Guys who have flipped out of their own initiative - 09/20/15 12:01 AM

Does anyone here think DeVecchio WASN'T aware of at least most of the shit Scarpa was doing? The only reason they really dropped the charges is all of the guys that would get out due to the tainted investigation, like Vic Orena. DeVecchio was as big a piece of shit as John Connolly was but it's crazy how Connolly took it on the chin and and DeVecchio is out here writing books and appearing in mob docs. Also, didn't the feds try to pin some of the bullshit DeVecchio did on an NYPD guy? And he beat the case but still lost his pension, can't remember the exact story.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET