Home

AMC's Making of the Mob

Posted By: OldSmoke

AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/16/15 10:50 PM

I tried searching for any comments on this but came up short, so if there's a discussion on this and I missed it--my apologies.

Anyway, did anyone catch this last night? Whatdya think if you did? Not sure how I felt about it.
Posted By: bronx

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/16/15 10:52 PM

fell well short, but we have 7 more weeks, they forgot harlem , morellos et al.
Posted By: Serpiente

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/16/15 10:54 PM

I did not hear of it.

Has anyone seen the thing Giuliani is doing for A&E it's is him bragging how he took down the mafia..
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/16/15 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Serpiente
I did not hear of it.

Has anyone seen the thing Giuliani is doing for A&E it's is him bragging how he took down the mafia..

sounds like Giuliani, always there to take all the credit,

he's a shameless man, not to be trusted.
Posted By: Serpiente

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/16/15 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
Originally Posted By: Serpiente
I did not hear of it.

sounds like Giuliani, always there to take all the credit,

he's a shameless man, not to be trusted.

Just how he came off" It's may be a series ....
Posted By: Garbageman

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/16/15 11:37 PM

I can't stomach watching Daffy Duck brag about how he discovered RICO in Bonanno's autobiography, or how he single handedly eradicated organized crime. Thank Christmas for the skeletons in his closet, or that prick could've been president after 9/11
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/16/15 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: OldSmoke
I tried searching for any comments on this but came up short, so if there's a discussion on this and I missed it--my apologies.

Anyway, did anyone catch this last night? Whatdya think if you did? Not sure how I felt about it.

I could only get through 20 minitues. I turned it off after they showed lucky luciano speaking from a podioum announcing the new board of directors of the five families and everyone was sitting around applauding like he was announcing the oscar nominations.
Posted By: mikeyballs211

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 12:00 AM

I watched it, it was okay..interesting to see Frankie Valli in there, I'd rather just watch a 30 min interview of him talking about growing up around the mob and Gyp DeCarlo.

I also thought it got some facts and shit wrong..like it said that Luciano, Lanskey and Siegel started out working for Frank Costello who was already a soldier under Masseria? Is that true? I never heard that, but to be honest I don't read about that period b/c the general story has been talked about ad nauseum.

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 12:03 AM

that is funny
Posted By: Faithful1

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 08:25 AM

It looks like the producers and writers decided to create their own history. Source material was Alex's book and "The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano," and they imaginations of the people behind the series.
Posted By: Dazzlin_Vinny_D

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 09:47 AM

There's nothing worse when watching a documentary and the documentary is blatantly not accurate at all. I also don't get how the can't get Italians to play Italians and Jews to play Jews so they can sound more realistic with NYC Italian and Yiddish accents being so distinct. I read somewhere that they were going to be making an Original series' based on Goodfellas and the Lucchese family in the 70s and this was just a test to see if there is still a market for Mob related projects. But if this is what they are basing that on unfortunately I don't think it will be looking good.
Posted By: mike89

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 09:57 AM

Yer no mention of Morello or the black hand.....just poor effort really. They also didnt clock on to the fact that Masseria would of had a thick italian accent. Also no mention of the mafia/camorra war.
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 02:10 PM

The first two episodes are bad. Therefore I don't see this show redeeming itself for the other 6 more. Things are blatantly inaccurate. If the source material was Hortis' book, which I think covers the Castellamarese period well enough, in the sense that Masseria & Maranzano weren't the only two families around at the time, and Luciano didn't invent the system of "Families", then this show should be a lot better. Hell, they could've used Joe Bonanno's couple of chapters for a more accurate portrayal of things, instead of the common inaccuracies that are portrayed in movies like "Mobsters".

And not that it matters, this thread has already picked up some steam, but there was already a thread for this in the books/movies & tv section.
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce

I could only get through 20 minitues. I turned it off after they showed lucky luciano speaking from a podioum announcing the new board of directors of the five families and everyone was sitting around applauding like he was announcing the oscar nominations.

lol lol I found five things wrong with it before the first commercial break. When Luciano said con-siGGGG-lee-air-ee instead of actually trying to pronounce the word correctly I knew that it was going to be a waste. I mean, this could have been a great series but they got "experts" like Vincent Pastore commentating on it give me a break. Then they had that kid who played Benny I think it was get in a scrap with another kid and the kid can't even throw a decent punch. I like when the actors get down their specifics. They need to OWN the role they play. So that didn't happen. Where are the accents? There aren't any.
The funny thing is, is that I will probably watch the whole series just because I want to see how many things they got right and how many more they got wrong? tongue
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl

lol lol I found five things wrong with it before the first commercial break. When Luciano said con-siGGGG-lee-air-ee instead of actually trying to pronounce the word correctly I knew that it was going to be a waste. I mean, this could have been a great series but they got "experts" like Vincent Pastore commentating on it give me a break. Then they had that kid who played Benny I think it was get in a scrap with another kid and the kid can't even throw a decent punch. I like when the actors get down their specifics. They need to OWN the role they play. So that didn't happen. Where are the accents? There aren't any.
The funny thing is, is that I will probably watch the whole series just because I want to see how many things they got right and how many more they got wrong? tongue

Haha ya it reminded me of billy crystal in analyze this-

Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
The first two episodes are bad. Therefore I don't see this show redeeming itself for the other 6 more. Things are blatantly inaccurate. If the source material was Hortis' book, which I think covers the Castellamarese period well enough, in the sense that Masseria & Maranzano weren't the only two families around at the time, and Luciano didn't invent the system of "Families", then this show should be a lot better. Hell, they could've used Joe Bonanno's couple of chapters for a more accurate portrayal of things, instead of the common inaccuracies that are portrayed in movies like "Mobsters".

And not that it matters, this thread has already picked up some steam, but there was already a thread for this in the books/movies & tv section.

I also read alex hortis's book and he's been on this site and he impressed me, he really did a ton of research, and he has a lot of sources.

the book is "the mob and the city" great read.

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 10:08 PM

agree, so many guys they could have went to for advice.

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/17/15 10:42 PM

Delly lol that scene is classic. Good stuff.
Posted By: BennyB

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211
I also thought it got some facts and shit wrong..like it said that Luciano, Lanskey and Siegel started out working for Frank Costello who was already a soldier under Masseria? Is that true?

I caught this too. I don't think it's true. I don't know where they got that!

Costello's wikipedia:
Quote:
While working for the Morello gang, Costello met Charlie "Lucky" Luciano, the Sicilian leader of Manhattan's Lower East Side gang. The two Italians immediately became friends and partners.

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 01:48 PM

they got "experts" like Vincent Pastore commentating on it give me a break.

This seemed wrong to me too
Posted By: mightyhealthy

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 01:50 PM

I haven't watched this, but they have Big Pussy as an expert?
Posted By: Primo

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 02:10 PM

Lol that's like having stallone being called to be an expert for a military documentary.

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 05:25 PM

There are a few researchers on the show commentating like Selwyn Raab and then they show a scene and go to Vinny P. They have him talking about Luciano, like he's some kind of expert on that era.
Posted By: Primo

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 05:26 PM

Lol maybe he read up on him on wikipedia to refresh his info.

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Primo
Lol maybe he read up on him on wikipedia to refresh his info.

I didn't know he could read lol Seems like he's always high so I doubt he's got a very good short term memory to remember much.

Just kidding

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 06:30 PM

Have you ever seen the TV movie series from the 80's The Gangster Chronicles? That's what this AMC series reminds me of a little bit. If you haven't seen it yet it's very entertaining, not too accurate but they do get a few things right.

Edit: Took out the YouTube link

Posted By: nash143

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 08:33 PM

Just watched Making of the Mob - all style no substance. Disappointing! So much effort seems to have gone into the filming/making it look nice. They could have read through the forum posts on here and gotten better info to include than what the did present.
Posted By: Faithful1

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 10:18 PM

There are a few researchers on the show commentating like Selwyn Raab and then they show a scene and go to Vinny P. They have him talking about Luciano, like he's some kind of expert on that era.

Hey, don't you know that Pastore is a recognized Mob expert with several organized crime books to his credit? NOT. LOL

Then there's the other OC experts Joe Mantegna, Chazz Palminteri, and Frankie Valli. Valli was formerly the boss of that infamous crime family, The Four Seasons. It reminds me of that old commercial where the actor started out, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV."

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Faithful1

Hey, don't you know that Pastore is a recognized Mob expert with several organized crime books to his credit? NOT. LOL

Then there's the other OC experts Joe Mantegna, Chazz Palminteri, and Frankie Valli. Valli was formerly the boss of that infamous crime family, The Four Seasons. It reminds me of that old commercial where the actor started out, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV."

lol lol So funny and so true. If they used these "experts" in the right way they can add some insight as to what was going on in their own neighborhoods since there was a very strong mob presence. To have them commenting on what happened back in the 1930's is just plain silly.
After watching the first episode I felt as disappointed as I do when leaving an Italian restaurant in California; great atmosphere, beautiful looking people, nobody knows how to pronounce anything on the menu like my manigott', and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I just feel like punching somebody for deceiving me.
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/18/15 11:27 PM

@alfanosgirl

there's always "roscoes chicken and waffles"

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/19/15 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Dazzlin_Vinny_D
There's nothing worse when watching a documentary and the documentary is blatantly not accurate at all. I also don't get how the can't get Italians to play Italians and Jews to play Jews so they can sound more realistic with NYC Italian and Yiddish accents being so distinct. I read somewhere that they were going to be making an Original series' based on Goodfellas and the Lucchese family in the 70s and this was just a test to see if there is still a market for Mob related projects. But if this is what they are basing that on unfortunately I don't think it will be looking good.

I agree. I also hated how they made it seem everybody was the same age even though Bugs was alot younger than Lucky. Plus having guys who look like they're in their 40s playing guys in their 20s made me laugh.

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/19/15 01:15 AM

Same here with the podium crap.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/19/15 01:28 AM

I recorded it and was going to watch it tonight. That was dumb as hell to show him at a podium like it was an advertised convention. lol

I hate when people are lazy with documentaries.
Posted By: Freelance_Hotdog

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/19/15 02:24 AM

damn the amc is a big company can't find any clips or parts of it only get a stupid voice this is not available in your country frown the other mob docus are pretty much free so amc is a big company that spends a lot of money to block it from the internet?

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/19/15 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Freelance_Hotdog
damn the amc is a big company can't find any clips or parts of it only get a stupid voice this is not available in your country frown the other mob docus are pretty much free so amc is a big company that spends a lot of money to block it from the internet?

You're not missing anything.

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/19/15 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Then there's the other OC experts Joe Mantegna, Chazz Palminteri, and Frankie Valli. Valli was formerly the boss of that infamous crime family, The Four Seasons.

lol

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/25/15 01:53 AM

Just wanted to throw my two cents in about the most recent episode, which I fell asleep through. I think they took more liberties than the last time.

1. The narrator said Arnold Rothstein was killed in the street, but everybody who knows, knows that he was hit in the Park Central hotel room he was playing cards in.

2. They give Masseria the credit for coming up with the idea for the Atlantic City Conference, implying it was all about getting Capone under control. Well, us mob-educated folks here know that the idea was Torrio's, in conjunction with Lucky, Frank and Meyer. It was about the future and solidifying a nationwide trade network.

3. The complete lack of accents. I know this was mentioned, but Masseria and Maranzano's piss poor or complete lack of Italian accents is horrible. Especially when they refer to Maranzano as 'recent Sicilian immigrant'.

Anyway, that's my rant on this show. Feels good to get that out. Probably done watching it. Then again, there's no guaranteed good TV on Mondays at 10 until the NFL starts.
Posted By: AJK

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/25/15 01:56 PM

It took me two days to get through episode two. It's so hard to sit and stomach. After episode one and the blatant inaccuracies that it had, I was hoping, maybe, that it would get better. But after episode two, it's clear that it's only going to go further downhill. I don't know who the hell did their research for this, probably someone checking Wikipedia entries, etc. for facts, but they need their asses kicked for providing viewers with all this BS information.

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/25/15 06:37 PM

Especially when they refer to Maranzano as 'recent Sicilian immigrant'

He picked up his American accent on his boat ride over lol

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/26/15 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: dixiemafia

lol lol

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/27/15 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: dixiemafia

HAHAHAHA
Posted By: lefty_two_guns

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/27/15 11:08 AM

these are old but much more informative imo

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiGhCMj_Vmk[/video]

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvpDX1K4oY[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVlquqV53oI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG8mInp7I1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdRgrapa5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsDPkj_qRqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAIeEhO99SI
Posted By: Footreads

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/27/15 11:13 AM

Can't get myself to watch it.
Posted By: DonMega1888

Re: AMC's Making of the Mob - 06/27/15 01:56 PM

Hate when ever they give you info on the mobsters and they show pics of the actors playing them instead of the real guys
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET