Home

John Scalish

Posted By: HotRod2015

John Scalish - 03/31/15 10:28 AM

Was Scalish a made member and leader of Cleveland? The same doesn't sound Italian, it's more like irish?! Also is there any other made members who's surnames don't end in a vowel? The only one I can think of is senter and I think that's because of a northern Italian heritage?
Posted By: HotRod2015

Re: John Scalish - 03/31/15 10:28 AM

Same was meant to read name sorry
Posted By: Extortion

Re: John Scalish - 03/31/15 11:19 AM

they used to change their surnames to avoid scrunity from law enforcement back in the day. Domninic Brooklier, Pat Marcy all did it.
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: John Scalish - 03/31/15 11:37 AM

His real surname was Scalise I think.
Posted By: helenwheels

Re: John Scalish - 03/31/15 11:58 AM

immigrants names were also often changed by authorities when they came to america to make them sound less ethnic. example: Belmonte to Belmont, etc
Posted By: m2w

Re: John Scalish - 03/31/15 11:59 AM

i also think his real surname was scalise anyway in italy there are some surnames that don't end with a vowel as martines and lopez for example that are common in southern italy coz they are of spanish descent
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: John Scalish - 03/31/15 02:31 PM

His surname was Scalise but call him Scalish.
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: John Scalish - 03/31/15 02:48 PM

Interesting fact: His refusal to make new members forced Frank Brancato to delegate soldier-level work to unmade associates. One of those associates names was Danny Greene...
Posted By: ImpactPlaya

Re: John Scalish - 03/31/15 09:57 PM

Scalish also at one time had his captains,underboss etc shy away from driving
cars that would draw attention, Cadillac's, etc.
He was very much a under the radar boss.

Re: John Scalish - 03/31/15 10:00 PM

Parallels Angelo Bruno for sure.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: John Scalish - 04/01/15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: BarrettM
Interesting fact: His refusal to make new members forced Frank Brancato to delegate soldier-level work to unmade associates. One of those associates names was Danny Greene...

At the end don't make new blood,saved Licavoli because if Nardi was made and not a powerful associate,when Greene and him go to ny to talk with Fat Tony,the genovese can't say to 2 associate "the cleveland family is our" because is against all the rules; so fat tony help Licavoli to win the war.

Re: John Scalish - 04/01/15 02:47 PM

In other news this Cleveland mob article makes me want to eat nails

http://www.cosanostranews.com/2012/08/when-licavoli-tapped-cane-lives-would.html
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: John Scalish - 04/01/15 05:37 PM

He was the boss of the Cleveland Cosa Nostra and this is pretty much universal fact and has been such..
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: John Scalish - 04/01/15 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: BarrettM

there is a book about danny greene, " kill the Irishman" I guess he gave them a run for their money for awhile,
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET