Home

Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP

Posted By: ItalianIrishMix

Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 05:26 PM

Not Witness Protection!

I was just reading about Nicholas Scibetta and I must say that there seems to be a few red flags that makes me think, he COULD have been someone who did just such......I mean obviously, it may have cost him the price of his hand BUT, it very well could of happened.

2 other reasons:

#1 A body was never found
#2 I don't believe that there is a public photo of him AND I know that Sammy HAD to of had at least one photo of him to put into his book but, he didn't....Makes it A LOT harder to find a guy.

I could have went down like:
Sammy: Hey Nick, I have orders that I MUST take you out!

Nick: OMG!....Damn!

Sammy: How about I chop 1 of your hands off as for evidence to Big Paulie, and you flee the country?

Nick: Do you really need to take a hand?

Sammy: Yes, or they won't believe me that I did it and they will never stop hunting you and they will also whack me too!

Nick: OK, but take my left, cause I am a righty!

Does anyone know which hand was found AND was Scibetta a righty of lefty?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 05:40 PM

A coroner can easily determine if a severed limb was cut off perimortem or postmortem, and they've had that particular science available to them for some time now. Nick Scibetta is deader than disco.
Posted By: alexandarns

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 05:42 PM

Pb pm buddy,sorry wink
Posted By: Alfa Romeo

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 06:19 PM

Did anyone run from a hit and live? Sure, plenty.

Valachi was invited to a house where he noticed one of the men went to the bathroom and came back out with a bulge. He took off.

Al D'Arco of the Lucchese's was probably at a hotel when he noticed one man was wearing a bullet proof vest and one stepped in to the bathroom. Al D'Arco said that whoever went into the bathroom next was going to retrieve a planted gun and come out blasting. Al took off. He left town and contacted the FBI in a different city for fear that the NY FBI office was on Amuso and Casso's payroll.

Hitman John Veasey was actually shot clean through the head with a 22. I guess the guy was so dumb that there wasn't enough brains in his skull for the bullet to hit and wound him. He got up, fought back, and got the heck out of there.

I am sure there are more.
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 06:30 PM

Alfa, you're right. Veasey attempted hit and his survival is a classic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H3mPRfteOM

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 06:49 PM

PB do you know what if anything came from this and was this guy really made?

"An admitted Mafia soldier survived an attempted hit on an East Harlem street that cops suspect was ordered by rival wiseguys, law-enforcement sources told The Post yesterday.
Enzo “The Baker” Stagno, 47, of Whitestone, Queens — who told cops he was a made man in the Bonnano crime family — was struck in the chest Wednesday as he made a phone call in his SUV parked at East 111th Street and First Avenue, the sources said"
http://nypost.com/2013/06/01/admitted-mafia-member-survives-attempted-mob-hit-in-east-harlem/

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
PB do you know what if anything came from this and was this guy really made?

"An admitted Mafia soldier survived an attempted hit on an East Harlem street that cops suspect was ordered by rival wiseguys, law-enforcement sources told The Post yesterday.
Enzo “The Baker” Stagno, 47, of Whitestone, Queens — who told cops he was a made man in the Bonnano crime family — was struck in the chest Wednesday as he made a phone call in his SUV parked at East 111th Street and First Avenue, the sources said"
http://nypost.com/2013/06/01/admitted-mafia-member-survives-attempted-mob-hit-in-east-harlem/

He's not made and it had nothing to do with any beef between the Luccheses and the Bonannos. It's New York tabloid nonsense, Beanie.

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 07:13 PM

Thank you PB
Posted By: mackinblack007

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo

Valachi was invited to a house where he noticed one of the men went to the bathroom and came back out with a bulge. He took off.

Al D'Arco of the Lucchese's was probably at a hotel when he noticed one man was wearing a bullet proof vest and one stepped in to the bathroom. Al D'Arco said that whoever went into the bathroom next was going to retrieve a planted gun and come out blasting. Al took off. He left town and contacted the FBI in a different city for fear that the NY FBI office was on Amuso and Casso's payroll.

Hitman John Veasey was actually shot clean through the head with a 22. I guess the guy was so dumb that there wasn't enough brains in his skull for the bullet to hit and wound him. He got up, fought back, and got the heck out of there.

they all ran into witsec.
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 08:31 PM

I don't remember the Valachi incident. I believe you but don't remember reading of it anywhere. When did it occur?

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 08:49 PM

Thank you PB

My pleasure, Buddy.
Posted By: baldo

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 09:06 PM

Wasn't Lino supposed to be hit at the three capos murder but ran from the bar?
Posted By: bronx

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 09:17 PM

no,

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 09:21 PM

God only knows how many guys ran from bullets over the years because you only have the rats' stories to go by. If a true gangster got shot at in a dark alley thirty years ago and dodged the bullet, he sure as Hell wasn't filling out a police report or writing it down for Jerry Capeci. And there were A LOT of those guys. Because I don't care what anyone says, there have been more stand up guys than rats over the years. And that's why there's no way of knowing.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 10:08 PM

John Stanfa ran, lived, and returned to become the boss of the Philly family. Peter Casella ran and lived, but was allowed to retire to Florida and never have anything to do with LCN. Gaspar DiGregorio and Pietro Crociata of the Bonanno family were fired upon when they were driving to New Jersey during the Bonanno war. There are many that ran from a hit and lived, without going into the WPP.
Posted By: mackinblack007

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 10:17 PM

Anthony "Bruno" Indelicato is another who waited out being marked for death.

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: mackinblack007
Anthony "Bruno" Indelicato is another who waited out being marked for death.

Yeah, that's another thread all together. Guys who hid out and waited for beefs to get squashed or blow over.
Posted By: pimpanella

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/14/14 11:45 PM

My wife noticed that when we were out to dinner the other night I told her to stop checking out other guys

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Fleming_Ave

I don't remember the Valachi incident. I believe you but don't remember reading of it anywhere. When did it occur?

I might be remembering the same incident twice. It might have also been the Little Al D'Arco "hit".

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: baldo
Wasn't Lino supposed to be hit at the three capos murder but ran from the bar?

Reading up on it, it seems like he wasn't the target. But I don't know if I buy that.
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 12:55 AM

I might be remembering the same incident twice. It might have also been the Little Al D'Arco "hit".

Yeah, I understand. I was wondering if it was from Valachi's original manuscript called "The Real Thing". I have read the little bits and pieces that are online, there were some stories about the Castellamarese War that were not in the Valachi Papers.I hope someday to read the whole thing, I wonder what else is in there.
Posted By: domwoods74

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 01:14 AM

Carmine persico , Larry gallo

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: domwoods74
Carmine persico , Larry gallo

Larry Gallo's a good one, Dom. One of the better known failed hits.
Posted By: ItalianIrishMix

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
John Stanfa ran, lived, and returned to become the boss of the Philly family. Peter Casella ran and lived, but was allowed to retire to Florida and never have anything to do with LCN. Gaspar DiGregorio and Pietro Crociata of the Bonanno family were fired upon when they were driving to New Jersey during the Bonanno war. There are many that ran from a hit and lived, without going into the WPP.

When was there a hit on Stanfa? From his suspected involvement from Bruno hit?..... I heard his Sicilian connections protected him from this AND if the triple cross story was true, Funzi probably knew that Caponigro had to involve Stanfa to make it happen.

I don't think Bruno ever put a hit on Casella, just know that the commission gave him permission to whack him, hence the "gentle don" label is born.

The other 2, have to do some homework.
Posted By: RedBullets

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 06:04 PM

I read the Valachi Papers and I don't remember reading this. Source? (Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious.)

lol lol Thats hilarious.

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 06:18 PM

The only hit I know of Stanfa was when Merlino ordered a hit on him and wounded his son the highway in retaliation for the Stanfa's attempted hit on Merlino which he survived and got Michael Ciancagalini killed. Harry Ricobene was also hit and survived.

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: RedBullets

I read the Valachi Papers and I don't remember reading this. Source? (Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious.)

lol lol Thats hilarious.

Tell me about it. Talk about comical. I first read about John Veasey in GQ magazine years back. When I read that he was shot through the head and was coherent enough to run away, all I could think was that he was so dumb that his head was empty and the bullet passed straight through without hitting anything.
Posted By: DA13

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 07:19 PM

This was a bungled attempt. But I think the guy was acting on his own. I forgot the story behind it.

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 07:51 PM

buy it ,comes at a good price

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 07:54 PM

costello ..dellacroce, gravano, sessa, all on the hit parade but alluded, i can name a few more, plenty of guy were near misses..

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: bronx
costello ..dellacroce, gravano, sessa, all on the hit parade but alluded, i can name a few more, plenty of guy were near misses..

That was my point. How many guys got stabbed or grazed by a bullet over the years and ended up at the local veterinarian's office instead of the emergency room so they wouldn't have to file a police report? (and in some cases, the local wiseguy run funeral home because morticians are fairly adept at sewing up a body)

Plenty. There's no way of knowing.

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 09:27 PM

their were many bullet doctors years ago..a lot of guys got dropped off at hospitals and stumbled in..

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 09:29 PM

several guys rumored to be doubled up in coffins..you are correct..every family had funerals homes around them..

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 09:32 PM

several guys rumored to be doubled up in coffins.

They call that coffin model "The Scarpaci" whistle.

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 09:33 PM

LOL.....

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 09:35 PM

I'm just kidding (well, I'm half kidding). They're good people. They take good care of their help. They have directors that have been with them for over twenty years. Unheard of in that business. But they do A LOT of wiseguy funerals.

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 09:45 PM

they might be only one of a few that have not sold out and just stay up front.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 09:46 PM

I love the surveillance photo of Baratta & Lastorino walking out of the Scarpaci funeral home.

There are a few great ones from that era with The Lucchese's.

Amuso & Casso on the phone with the graffiti on it.
Amuso & Gravano outside The Walnut Bar surrounded by graffiti in what looks like a very unsavory part of New York.
Amuso, Casso & Lastorino deep in conversation in what looks like a scene from The Sopranos.
Casso & Chiodo contrast.

Look at the Bonanno, Genovese & Colombo leadership of the time and there aren't as many quality surveillance pics out there.

The Gambino's had a substantial amount of pics but a lot of that was Gotti & Gravano being photographed by the paps.

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 10:06 PM

they might be only one of a few that have not sold out and just stay up front.

They've turned down phone numbers to sell out to the big corporation down south. And I mean phone numbers.

They own the property and they do over 400 calls a year. When you own your building you can make a good living doing 80 full funerals a year (you can't count cremations, you make peanuts on those). And they do 400+.

It's not just the revenue, though. They honestly love the business.
Posted By: jonnynonos

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 10:36 PM

Most famous one in Chicago was Ken Eto; they shot him in the head but he lived and went into WPP.

Another guy they tried to kill with a car bomb, he ended up living and didn't talk so they let him live.

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/15/14 11:49 PM

most of the family works there, 400 per, never thought they did that much.. is fat red listed as an embalmer or any of the grand kids ,pizza

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 12/16/14 12:35 AM

most of the family works there, 400 per, never thought they did that much.. is fat red listed as an embalmer or any of the grand kids ,pizza

400 may be on the high side today, considering how the neighborhood is changing. But when 86th was 90 percent Italian? 400 calls a year easy.

Red worked mostly in pre-need. In the State of New York you need a license but....

One of the grandsons did his residency at one of the Jewish chapels in Manhattan. Jewish funeral homes are the BEST places to work your residency. Bar none. The work is fast, and the embalmings are few and far between. You basically move bodies for a year and a half. But I'm not sure if he works on 86th Street today.
Posted By: southend

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 01/24/15 04:56 PM

Joseph Maruca
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 01/24/15 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: southend
Joseph Maruca

His story is just really fucking crazy. Set up in a dizzying conspiracy between two families. Supposedly he was skimming from the Bufalinos and they farmed it out to the springfield genovese. There were also rumors (on the internet, i dont live in that area) that he ran a book that the genovese wanted in Albany. So they were all too happy to do it.
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 01/27/15 01:46 AM

Since I was reading that Boiardo book I might as well add to the list:

Richie "The Boot" Boiardo
Jack "Legs" Diamond

It wasn't uncommon to have bullet holes in your car years ago uhwhat
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 01/27/15 05:24 AM

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=741055&page=1
Posted By: PetroPirelli

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 01/27/15 05:47 AM

Is there mafia activity in Albany? Never heard of any LCN related activity there in the past or present.
Posted By: OC

Re: Has anyone ran from a hit, and lived? Not WPP - 01/27/15 08:43 AM

Joe Piney armone survived after getting hit with 5 bullets in the 60s went to jail in the French connection bust soon after
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET