Home

Seaside Heights, NJ

Posted By: DanteMoltisanti

Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/20/14 09:12 AM

In yesterday's Star-Ledger,Brief OC Mention.....

Seaside Heights New Jersey
Posted By: Belmont

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/20/14 09:58 AM

Temptations was a great club, especially from 1998-2002. The girls were smokin hot, the music was great, the energy unmatched, the drug of choice was ecstacy, and everyone was cool with one another., no fights, no bull shit.
No one really drank alcohol, everyone drank bottled water.
That was a great period in time. NYC was the off the hook back then; Sound Factory was a modern day version of studio 54 but better. It was unreal, a bunch of guys on juice and there were no fights with the exception of maybe a few.
Posted By: merlino

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/20/14 10:36 AM

Great read on economic downturn and nature impacting a really cool area...loved the photos with the juiceheads in the 90s with the barbed wire tattoos.....wonder why the author had to put in that little shot about the mayors son?
Posted By: DB

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/20/14 11:37 AM

Wow I remember those times

temps was insane
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/20/14 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Belmont
Sound Factory was a modern day version of studio 54 but better.

You're one of my favorite board members, Belmont. But you have no frame of reference to make that statement. Not unless you're at least fifty years old. And if you are, that would have made you stand out like a pedophile at the Sound Factory whistle.

And to be fair, I couldn't give you an objective opinion about the Sound Factory. You referenced 1998-2002. Well, I was already in my forties by then, my club days waaaaaaay behind me. But I can offer an opinion about Studio 54. It was ridiculous and over the top. But it was an incredible experience.

And I'd have to say that the disco scene back then in Manhattan, the outer boroughs, and even Westchester and Long Island, could stand up to the club scene of "your day." But like I said, it's all subjective anyway. I'm too old to give you an answer, and you're too young. So let's call it a draw smile.

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/20/14 04:49 PM

Lol PB... What i meant was studio 54 was known as a place where " everything goes" ; sound factory was kind of a modern version of that. Like studio 54, it was shut down.
It was not uncommon to stroll into the sound factory at 3:00 am and leave at 3 in the afternoon the next day.

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/20/14 05:06 PM

It was not uncommon to stroll into the sound factory at 3:00 am and leave at 3 in the afternoon the next day.

I know what you mean, kid. And that's exactly what Studio 54 was like. And there was a club that kinda bridged the gap between those generations. It was called the Funhouse, down on West 26th in Chelsea. I saw Madonna there in like '81 when she was just a young slut. No bullshit. She was banging that DJ Jellybean back then (along with twenty other guys and girls lol). But she dropped all of those people the minute "Like a Virgin" hit big. Fucking twat. I always hated her for that (but I respect her talent).

But getting back to the club itself, in some ways the Funhouse was even crazier than Studio 54 because the crowd wasn't as moneyed. And poor people are a whole lot more fun than people who are well off (and I've been both, so I know lol).
Posted By: Red_63

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I know what you mean, kid. And that's exactly what Studio 54 was like. And there was a club that kinda bridged the gap between those generations. It was called the Funhouse, down on West 26th in Chelsea. I saw Madonna there in like '81 when she was just a young slut. No bullshit. She was banging that DJ Jellybean back then (along with twenty other guys and girls lol). But she dropped all of those people the minute "Like a Virgin" hit big. Fucking twat. I always hated her for that (but I respect her talent).

But getting back to the club itself, in some ways the Funhouse was even crazier than Studio 54 because the crowd wasn't as moneyed. And poor people are a whole lot more fun than people who are well off (and I've been both, so I know lol).

Hey Doc you sure about that ? I thought you had generational real estate ??

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Red_63
And poor people are a whole lot more fun than people who are well off (and I've been both, so I know lol).

Hey Doc you sure about that ? I thought you had generational real estate ??

I didn't have two nickels to rub together as a kid, and I didn't inherit shit. The only reason it's "generational" is because my Dad and I bought our first building together. That was more than twenty years ago, and today we have four.

Granted, the Greenwich Village property came through an uncle of mine. But if you knew my family, you'd know that nothing ever comes without a price. Money's the least of it half the time. There are much more difficult ways to pay debts than with money.
Posted By: carmela

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 12:06 PM

Madonna didn't leave Jellybean behind. They dated for a couple years, he helped produce her first album. It's not like he went on to become a nobody.
And who wasn't a young slut back then? That's what it was all about. Everybody was using everybody.

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: carmela
Madonna didn't leave Jellybean behind. They dated for a couple years, he helped produce her first album. It's not like he went on to become a nobody.

Yeah, he made a good living. I was honestly talking more about the dancers she used to hang out with back then.

And who wasn't a young slut back then?

One time I went out with crotchless panties and fuck me pumps and you have to throw it up to my face on the open board?!

I needed to make rent that month!!

I'm seriously hurt, Carmela frown.

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 12:22 PM

One time I went out with crotchless panties and fuck me pumps and you have to throw it up to my face on the open board?!

Are you kidding? haha That's the way everybody went out, guys and girls, no shame in that. Studio 54 was way before my time, but I would go to Club USA, get picked to come in by that tranny Kenny Ken, and hang with all the gays and freaks inside. Good times for sure. I also loved Limelight. As for Seaside, once in awhile to Temptations, but that crowd was never really for me.

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 12:33 PM

Are you kidding?

No, I was serious lol.

I would go to Club USA, get picked to come in by that tranny Kenny Ken, and hang with all the gays and freaks inside. Good times for sure. I also loved Limelight.

For the most part, my club days were over by then. Limelight was a scene, though. One of my best friends (at the time, anyway) was head of security there for a spell.

And get this: He couldn't take working the club scene anymore because New York was getting "too dangerous." He moved to Tampa in the early '90s, opened a sleepy little gin mill, and promptly got shot in the neck by a meth head biker. True story.

He's been back in New York for about twenty years lol.

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 01:15 PM

[quote=carmela]And who wasn't a young slut back then?

I'm seriously hurt, Carmela frown. [/qu

Are you kidding? haha That's the way everybody went out, guys and girls, no shame in that. Studio 54 was way before my time, but I would go to Club USA, get picked to come in by that tranny Kenny Ken, and hang with all the gays and freaks inside. Good times for sure. I also loved Limelight. As for Seaside, once in awhile to Temptations, but that crowd was never really for me.

Yep, limelight was a good time as well in early and mid 90's. Late 90's /early 2000's, Sound Factory was unbeatable, the music was great.
Posted By: padrone

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 03:42 PM

Limelight, Webster Hall, The Roxy, The Tunnel. I was later my friends and I know people who worked them so we would always get in but the Tunnel became a dump. I was later disappointed that the Limelight was a chain. One in London and another in Toronto. But you guys are right, it was a freak show at times

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: padrone
Limelight, Webster Hall, The Roxy, The Tunnel. I was later my friends and I know people who worked them so we would always get in but the Tunnel became a dump. I was later disappointed that the Limelight was a chain. One in London and another in Toronto. But you guys are right, it was a freak show at times

That's what made clubs like Limelight and Club USA awesome. I'd rather hang with the Village freaks and the gays at a club any day of the week, than the wall flower, cookie cutter, fake ass punk guidos down the Jersey Shore. At least the freaks and gays knew how to dance.

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 03:51 PM

That's what made clubs like Limelight and Club USA awesome. I'd rather hang with the Village freaks and the gays at a club any day of the week, than the wall flower, cookie cutter, fake ass punk guidos down the Jersey Shore. At least the freaks and gays knew how to dance.

You're too young. But you would have loved CBGB in its prime. I saw the Ramones there when I was still in high school. Talk about a freakshow. But a fun freakshow, if you know what I mean.

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 03:53 PM

Absolutely, but I remember going into Webster Hall for the first time and being carded by a 6'7" Tranny. Then going inside and there were midgets doing acrobatics. For an 18 year old it was an eye opener. One time me and my friends wanted to go out when we were 15, 16 years old and my dad knew the guy who ran the Roxy and he had to go see him. So as a joke my father takes us with him knowing it was gay only night. First time I ever saw a man in assless chaps on a swing on a dance floor. We had a blast. My dad was a cool guy

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 03:56 PM

I went to CBGB only once right before it closed and had a slice of pizza. No music because it was in the middle of the day and was on its last legs, but knowing who played there was enough to make it a great experience and to be able to say that I went there. Is St. Marks place still like it was 20-30 years ago?

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 04:01 PM

Is St. Marks place still like it was 20-30 years ago?

Not remotely. But there are still a few holdouts living there. But that won't last. Not the way that area's "gentrifying." rolleyes

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 04:04 PM

You're too young. But you would have loved CBGB in its prime. I saw the Ramones there when I was still in high school. Talk about a freakshow. But a fun freakshow, if you know what I mean.

I'm sorry, but could you repeat that?

I also loved Paladium, but then it started to get crazy with the security at the door. One line for men and one for women as you entered the club to get patted down. They would stick their finger in your mouth. If you were a woman, the guard would reach up under your skirt and make sure you weren't packing anything. Sometimes that was the highlight of my night.
Posted By: baldo

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 04:10 PM

This thread reminds me of those Stefon skits on SNL:
"Security and bouncers at the venue are surreal. They include: jacked-up homeless guys in period swimming costumes, Hobocops (homeless RoboCops), a bulldog who looks like Wilford Brimley, and a Rabbi who looks like Joaquin Phoenix"

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 04:11 PM

You didn't let me finish. As usual.

You're too young . . . . . . . . to remember the depression.

23 skidoo, toots. Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight, come out tonight, come out tonight . . .
Posted By: DB

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/21/14 08:55 PM

Club USA , factory , plaidium , tunnel then temps at jersey shore

What a time , I have never been to 54 but there was insane thins happening in those clubs , just insane .

I actually understand the too dangerous , I think it was tunnel that had hip hop Sunday that was insane . That's partly what brought Peter down and what a freaking shame . The guy was a true entrapanuer , turning nothing into a very successful small business that provided a lot of jobs . Now it's a lot of corp BS that has hurt not only the nightlife but continuing and widening income gap .

That guy did very little , accept being successful from nothing and became a name , except that idiot Guiliana thought was a nice target for political reasons only and solely

What is the difference between mob guys saying you are using our business or no bid contracts when Guilinana firm does the EXACT same thing , no bid contracts at outrageous rates . He is the one making out with the SanGenero festival . ( props to PB for that info nugget)

You have to ask yourself , was he really that anti CN , or pro gain in his own name that enables him to make multi millions from the mafia background checks today

The hypocrisy in our system is a joke . Listen it happens everywhere but be honest about it , that's all . There isn't much violence in today's mafia and today some of his business tactics are earily similIar to CN .

As long as their is no violence there is a need for CN is gambling and shy . Without shy people can't get credit and that affects the economy . With the govt becoming the house in gambling and lending billions to financial institutions ( or giving every family $54.000!!- gee what pla n would make more sense ) , their tactics are similiar ( this is contingent on non violent activity like today ) . The big difference is our govt leaders accept financial institutions donations so that they can write laws to benefit them . With late fees ( which let's be honest are the type of people that need the mobs capital ) their annual rates are in the 1-2 point range . It's a joke the hypocrisy , I just wish we had a leader that admitted to the similarities to criminal organizations .

And don't even get me started about all the BS wars we had like Vietnam , Iraq and others for the sake of communism lol , that was all about money , that is it , plus power and communism was the marketing tool for the MIC. Out military will one day destroy this country like it did to Rome , Asian etc . There has only been 1 president that stood up to this ( Cuba , Vietnam etc.) and he was shot dead in public daylight to make an example .

Now I'm not one that thinks we should stay our of ISIS as IMO they can never rule a country but we pretty much started this mess as a result of out military industrial complex , and what do they care, they get rich safe at home surrounded by security at shareholder expense .

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/22/14 12:17 AM

I went to cbgb in the early to mid 80's. They used to have sunday matinee's there. 4 bands for 6 bucks.. Hardcore punk bands.
I went to the Paladium in the very early 80's when it was a concert hall before it became a club. It was a 2500 seat theater kind of
Like a broadway theater with a balcony.
Bands like the clash, ramones, judas priest, OZZY ( first solo tour), frank zappa..
It was an awesome place..
Lamour in brooklyn was another.
Nyc was the best place in the world

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/22/14 12:31 AM

I went to cbgb in the early to mid 80's.

I saw the Ramones there for the first time around 1976. I was never a huge fan of theirs, although I still like some of their more mainstream stuff.

I also caught Blondie there once, but it had to be later in the '70s because she was already pretty famous at the time. Now her groupies were NUTS with a capital NUTS lol.

Nyc was the best place in the world

Don't get me started. I already can't fucking sleep tonight lol.
Posted By: cheech

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/22/14 03:21 PM

Temptations was a great club, especially from 1998-2002. The girls were smokin hot, the music was great, the energy unmatched, the drug of choice was ecstacy, and everyone was cool with one another., no fights, no bull shit.
No one really drank alcohol, everyone drank bottled water.
That was a great period in time. NYC was the off the hook back then; Sound Factory was a modern day version of studio 54 but better. It was unreal, a bunch of guys on juice and there were no fights with the exception of maybe a few.

been to sound factory, the tunnel, and the palladium.
the tunnel by far was the nuttiest thing ive ever seen. sundays with funkmaster flex was craaazy.

PG knew what he was doing.

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/22/14 03:22 PM

Lol PB... What i meant was studio 54 was known as a place where " everything goes" ; sound factory was kind of a modern version of that. Like studio 54, it was shut down.

how many nights were you in a k hole?

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/22/14 03:25 PM

I also loved Paladium, but then it started to get crazy with the security at the door. One line for men and one for women as you entered the club to get patted down. They would stick their finger in your mouth. If you were a woman, the guard would reach up under your skirt and make sure you weren't packing anything. Sometimes that was the highlight of my night.

they all wound up sucking at the end.

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/22/14 04:45 PM

Cheech, from what I remember you are in the New Haven, CT area. Toads in its day was like CBGB, they had a ton of great bands but that was way before my time. I lived there 99-2002 in my mid 20s and we would go to Toads Place and Bar and the Playwright (sp?) mostly but there were a bunch of places on State Street. What was the dance club that would serve after hours downtown?
Posted By: mightyhealthy

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/22/14 05:05 PM

Lol, this topic is funny...

Toad's place is a great place to see a show. Great venue.

As far as st. Marks goes nowadays, great if you want a bong or if you want to play arcade games while you drink. But clubs? Ehhh
Posted By: Christy_Tic

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/22/14 07:09 PM

Too young to know anything about 54 but sound factory limelight and the tunnel were off the charts in the late 90s. I grew up at the shore and always had fun in seaside and the meatheads were mostly pretty cool to hang with but there was no way to have more fun than the ny clubs. You didn't have to dress like a club kid to fit in, as long as you were comfortable and drinking bottled water by the case before u knew it you'd walk outside and it be light out. I've partied everywhere from rosarito beach to island to Ibiza and I put those ny clubs at the top
Posted By: Christy_Tic

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/22/14 07:10 PM

Iceland ^^
Posted By: tiger84

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/23/14 01:27 AM

LOL clubbing now is pathetic you guys are lucky to have experianced Studio 54 and the Xtasy era i just missed out on the X era when by the time i was old enough every had settled down.Notice how in the past 10 years there is no era of clubs like the disco era or the techno era.Its just young people going out paying for over priced drinks and hoping that something magiacal happens

Re: Seaside Heights, NJ - 10/23/14 09:39 AM

Cheech, from what I remember you are in the New Haven, CT area. Toads in its day was like CBGB, they had a ton of great bands but that was way before my time. I lived there 99-2002 in my mid 20s and we would go to Toads Place and Bar and the Playwright (sp?) mostly but there were a bunch of places on State Street. What was the dance club that would serve after hours downtown?

after hours would be gotham. playwright isnt there anymore but the original in hamden is. toads is still there, saw a concert last month there.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET