Home

Murray Humphreys(The Camel)

Posted By: DE NIRO

Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 04:19 PM

Has there ever been a non American/Jew as powerful in the Mafia as Murray Humphreys, from what I've read his influence and control reached as far as the white house and loved by many apparently../Interesting charterer.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 04:31 PM

you bet, he was interesting, was a great help to the chicago outfit. controlled many unions, and was said to be responsible for getting ricca and a few more out of jail in the forties, a supreme court justice {tom clark} let them out, they were in prison for the Hollywood extortion case. its believed Humphreys somehow got to clark. and its widely believed that Humphreys came up with the way to use the fifth amendment for the underworld, although a Welshman, he had a lot of influence in the outfit, as a matter of fact, Sidney korshak who had tremendous power in Hollywood answered to Humphreys, as did lew wasserman another very powerful figure in Hollywood. the outfit controlled most of holywood through the motion picture unions. a very astute gentleman.
Posted By: Snakes

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 04:32 PM

He was a powerhouse. One of the few non-Italians to have a direct line with a boss of any family, especially as late as the 1960's. He often had audience with Accardo, Ricca, Giancana, and other higher ups. His political connections were extremely valuable. Only other guy I can think of (at least around the same time period) that had this type of clout with the Italians was Maishe Rockman.

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 04:36 PM

in the book {"the super mob"} a book about korshak, it makes no bones about who was korshaks boss, murray Humphreys.
Posted By: GaryMartin

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 04:55 PM

One of the most interesting players in the Outfit. Humphreys didn't hesitate to voice his opinion to Ricca, Accardo or Giancana. A low-profile guy who had personality plus and was a master at his work.

I have an article about his life and death. I'll try and locate and come back in a few minutes and edit. Here it is.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1965/11/24/page/1/article/mobs-murray-humphreys-dies
Posted By: TommyGambino

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 05:12 PM

A powerhouse for sure, most powerful non-Italian has to be Lansky though.
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 05:16 PM

It seems he also did hits personally unlike Jake Guzik.
http://www.lacndb.com/php/Info.php?name=Klondike%20O-Donnell
He and Klondike O'Donnell killed Jack White in 1934.

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 05:28 PM

I read also that he invented the term "Money Laundering" and he was also one of the first gangsters to hide behind the 5th Amendment and taught other outfit members how to use the law..

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
I read also that he invented the term "Money Laundering" and he was also one of the first gangsters to hide behind the 5th Amendment and taught other outfit members how to use the law..

That's my understanding. Gus Russo devotes a great deal of his book (The Outfit) to Humphreys. There's also an extensive FBI file on "The Hump."

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 05:43 PM

Here's the FBI file on M. Humphreys:

http://vault.fbi.gov/murray-humphreys

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: TommyGambino
A powerhouse for sure, most powerful non-Italian has to be Lansky though.
maybe not, murray Humphreys was indeed a power unlike a lot of made guys, may have had more political connections than lansky, and his springing ricca and company from prison was an amazing coup. lansky handled a lot of money for the families, but, Humphreys tenacles were far reaching.
Posted By: Christy_Tic

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/26/14 11:18 PM

From my reading on the outfit and just minor knowledge compared to ny the camel def seemed like a smooth operator and a major player. But unfortunately the Feds drove him absolutely bonkers torwards the end and he had a heart attack right after a court appearance after the Feds ransacked his house earlier in the day. The outfit def had some major non Italian decision makers w str8 access to the boss. Def unlike ny in a good way
Posted By: jonnynonos

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/27/14 03:32 PM

In the Outfit Russo makes it out as if he was the single most influential figure throughout the Golden Era. Who knows. Russo had an audience with Humps widow, and books need heros, so hard to say how true it was.
Posted By: rickydelta

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/30/14 06:51 AM

there is a book about murray humphreys called prince of crime its a good read you get it on amazon smile

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 09/30/14 03:18 PM

Thanks for that, ill have to check it out..
Posted By: rickydelta

Re: Murray Humphreys(The Camel) - 10/01/14 04:32 AM

your welcome smile
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET