Home

Boxing mafia conspiracies?

Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 03:51 PM

Are there any mafia and boxing conspiracies other than Lamotta vs robinson or Clay vs Liston? Maybe Duran vs Leonard was one?
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 03:55 PM

one of the most iconic boxing matches-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...rigged-mob.html

but really the mobs influence in boxing was no big secret, rigging fights was probably a regular thing.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 04:07 PM

for those interested about the mobs influence in boxing here is some interesting reading.

sammy the bulls testimony in front of a senate hearing about corruption in boxing-

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/un...tee-o-tin.shtml

and a New Jersey report about OC influence in boxing from the 80's-
http://www.state.nj.us/sci/pdf/OCBoxing.pdf

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 04:10 PM

I've seen some documentaries where they've said that it was fixed. It didn't look like Ali really hit him that hard whatsoever. I wonder if Ali would've won even if it wasn't fixed.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
for those interested about the mobs influence in boxing here is some interesting reading.

sammy the bulls testimony in front of a senate hearing about corruption in boxing-

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/un...tee-o-tin.shtml

and a New Jersey report about OC influence in boxing from the 80's-
http://www.state.nj.us/sci/pdf/OCBoxing.pdf

In NJ, who was the boss of the boxing underworld in the 80s? I know Carbo used to be but he died in the 70s.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 05:18 PM

you'll have to read the report...
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 05:19 PM

Thanks for the links Della.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 05:22 PM

I'm surprised Catena wasn't involved in this
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
I've seen some documentaries where they've said that it was fixed. It didn't look like Ali really hit him that hard whatsoever. I wonder if Ali would've won even if it wasn't fixed.
I strongly suggest that the second ali liston fight was no doubt fixed,the first one im not quite sure. but it would not surprise me. book out about Frankie depaula (middleweight from jersy} interesting talk from nj mob about his title shot against bob foster.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 06:42 PM

I'll have to check that book out.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 06:47 PM

revis its a great read,i believe its called "boy from jersy" the kid wound up cathing a bullet, it paralyzed from the neck down. chuck wepner was a stablemate of his, he speaks of a lot of his fights. google Frankie depaula, he was a hitter in the ring, but highly mobbed up.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 06:49 PM

Just did a little research on it, was DePaula killed by the mob or is it all just a mystery?

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
revis its a great read,i believe its called "boy from jersy" the kid wound up cathing a bullet, it paralyzed from the neck down. chuck wepner was a stablemate of his, he speaks of a lot of his fights. google Frankie depaula, he was a hitter in the ring, but highly mobbed up.

Thank you for the suggestion and I'll definitely be making a forum about the book when I read it to get other people's thoughts on it.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 08:44 PM

depaula was running around with a bosses stepdaughter, he was warned more than once to let her go, didn't listen, yeah mob hit.had wrong title,its jersey boy.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 10:10 PM

dellacroce. great link, ash resnik was very close to liston. most probably was a fix. im sure the second one was.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/06/14 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
depaula was running around with a bosses stepdaughter, he was warned more than once to let her go, didn't listen, yeah mob hit.had wrong title,its jersey boy.

I'm from jersey city originally too I should check it out.
Posted By: karona1

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/08/14 10:55 PM

catena was probably making so much money he didnt need to get into the boxing..:)
Posted By: karona1

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/08/14 10:58 PM

Frankie Carbo and blinky palermo no doubt
fixed many fights during the heyday...jake lamotta lost on purpose just to get a shot at the title in the next fight.. Lamotta, let everyone know what was going on when he literally put his hands down and took a beating. In his next Fight he won the world midddleweight title.

Re: Boxing mafia conspiracies? - 09/08/14 11:57 PM

yeah, carbo and blinky owned 1950s boxng. they owned jim Norris who was the ibc, some of kid gavilans fights were fixed, and johnny saxton most of his were fixed. im probably a lot older than you, karon1,but I always thought archie moore layed down for Floyd Patterson in their 1956 title bout.the mob owned boxing and if you didn't play ball you never got no where.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET