Home

Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca

Posted By: 22

Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 08:32 AM

If someone can help me out and post this,there was an article on Philly .com about Merlino and investors opening a high-end Italian restaurant in Boca soth Philly Style
Posted By: DanteMoltisanti

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 08:47 AM

Joey Merlino Opening Restaurant in Boca Article
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 08:48 AM

Here is the news article 22
http://gossipextra.com/2014/08/29/joey-merlino-mob-open-restaurant-boca-raton-4020/
Posted By: Red_63

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 09:02 AM

This a stupid article you cant get good bread in florida Joey said it himself. The geater or his attorneys can say how smart he is but I don't think he himself could actually run a restaurant but then again a lot of mob guys do

smile

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 09:15 AM

Thanks Beanshooter I appreciate that

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 09:16 AM

You too Dante,thanks
Posted By: salvi62

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 09:35 AM

It wouldn't surprise me. I've seen him around quite a bit (I live in Boca). I can tell you this, the man loves his cigars. Almost every time I've seen him hes outside with a cigar.

He seems like a nice enough guy on a superficial level. Hes a good tipper and has bought drinks for the musicians on occasion, but other than exchanging a few pleasantries that's all I can say.

He's right about the bread here....its the water (it sucks, especially Boca) When I worked in AC I'd get over to the "White House" as often as possible....not THATS bread. You'll never see bread like that in Florida.

There is some bagel place around here that advertises that they bring water from NY every day to make their bagels. I forget the name....

Sal
Posted By: thebigfella

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 09:48 AM

There's actually an interesting story at the bottom of the posted page about the steroid scandal and the new orleans mafia, but I don't want to distract from your thread so I will post it in a separate thread. There's money to be made in the entertainment field in florida and the fact that he announced his retirement and now opening a resturaunt will make it hard for the fbi, with that being said, do every mobster that ever ratted lives in florida???
Posted By: Serpiente

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 09:51 AM

Originally Posted By: salvi62
It wouldn't surprise me. I've seen him around quite a bit (I live in Boca). I can tell you this, the man loves his cigars. Almost every time I've seen him hes outside with a cigar.

He seems like a nice enough guy on a superficial level. Hes a good tipper and has bought drinks for the musicians on occasion, but other than exchanging a few pleasantries that's all I can say.

He's right about the bread here....its the water (it sucks, especially Boca) When I worked in AC I'd get over to the "White House" as often as possible....not THATS bread. You'll never see bread like that in Florida.

There is some bagel place around here that advertises that they bring water from NY every day to make their bagels. I forget the name....

SAl
The bread can be baked down there.Back in 88 John T From Formica came up with a recipe....They bake it out in EHT everyday at Mucks bakery.Frank Formica went out to Vegas and baked it with the new recipe..I wiill explain laterabout why and how...
Posted By: carmela

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Serpiente
The bread can be baked down there.Back in 88 John T From Formica came up with a recipe....They bake it out in EHT everyday at Mucks bakery.Frank Formica went out to Vegas and baked it with the new recipe..I wiill explain laterabout why and how...

Oh darn. Do we really have to wait til later to hear the bread story? I'm too anxious.

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 10:21 AM

Salvie, is it the Brooklyn Water Bagel Co?

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/cleanp...n_locations.php

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 10:35 AM

I'm sure they have enough friends and wannabe's in the trucking business that would take minumum wage as a truck driver just to say I deliver Joeys Bread
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 12:11 PM

It's almost impossible to get a good loaf of Italian bread here in Dixie. There is a NY style Deli over in Pinehurst which allegedly has it's bagel dough and water shipped in every few days. Sometimes their bagels are great and sometimes not. We had an excellent German bakery in town and the baker told me that even he can't make a goof NY style Italian bread because of the water and humidity here. Who knows- could just be an excuse. We sure do miss that bread down here.
Posted By: Tonytough

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Red_63
This a stupid article you cant get good bread in florida Joey said it himself. The geater or his attorneys can say how smart he is but I don't think he himself could actually run a restaurant but then again a lot of mob guys do

smile

Wiseguys spend their entire lives in restaurants and eating good food

I'm sure they'll have some experience not to mention joey had a big restaurant in Philly

On top of that, I've been in the restaurant trade for yrs, as an owner it helps to be able to cook. Since only then can u control the quality that comes out of the kitchen which is essentially the bread and butter of the restaurant

Alternatively hire a good head chef

Hire some polite and motivated waiters. Pick a good location. Grease the local food reviewer and your good to go
Posted By: pmac

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 01:10 PM

my mom tells me at the market when you get a pound of cheese there they put wax paper between the slices cause of the humidity. my 2 cents.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 01:24 PM

Forget about "bringing in New York water in an oil tanker." Wiseguys (and restaurant people in general) have been pushing that fantasy for years. I think Pistone even mentioned it, and it's going on forty years since he went undercover.

Aside from being COST IMPOSSIBLE to do such a thing, it just wouldn't work for a variety of reasons. For one thing, the humidity down there affects the way the yeast interacts with the flour and water (New York or Florida water won't matter).

The only way to get good bread down there is to buy it up here, have it flash frozen, and THEN ship it. A few places down there do it with the Arthur Avenue bread companies over here, but not on a regular basis because it's just not cost efficient.

I've been splitting my time between New York and Palm Beach County for the past seventeen years. And I've been going to South Florida in general for over forty years. You think Joey is the first gangster to take a shot at a restaurant down there?

Please. They come and go like oranges and key limes down there. They have the exact same success rate as any other restaurateurs do. That means that two out of three fail. And I'm not saying he won't make it. Maybe he will. But he's no shoo-in just because he's a celebrity gangster. Far from it. For every transplanted New Yorker in Eastern Palm Beach County, there are a dozen rednecks in places like Okeechobee who hate New Yorkers and never go out to eat wink.

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 02:24 PM

PB is right......

The restaurant biz in South Florida is VERY competitive. I think its worse than 2 out of 3. Over the years I've worked in so many places that started out very popular, and were closed within a year. And when business starts to fall of the first thing they cut is the entertainment.

Hes also right about the humidity. We used to have a really good Italian bakery in Hallendale when I was growing up. My Mother always had a thing for sfogliatelle and this place ( DiMaio's) made them very good.

Well if you didn't eat them all strait out of the box they would be mushy in less than two hours. It the humidity.

Women go nuts with their hair here in the summer because it averages 75-90% humidity.

How does bread even stand a chance???

Sal
Posted By: NNY78

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: 22
If someone can help me out and post this,there was an article on Philly .com about Merlino and investors opening a high-end Italian restaurant in Boca soth Philly Style

Thanks 22, gotta give it to Lambiet he does a good job of sniffing out the stories down here. Heres a couple articles on the guy the investors are allegedly leasing from and/or going into business with. Batsmasian has an interesting history.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/business/lawsuit-alleges-boca-developer-batmasian-got-city-/ngxfq/

http://therealdeal.com/miami/blog/2014/07/24/harsh-allegations-levied-against-james-batmasian/
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 06:03 PM

Should make a new sitcom starring Jerry Stiller and Estelle Harris reprising their roles as Frank and Estelle Costanza and Joey Merlino as their nephew Skinny Joey who has come to visit them in Boca.
Posted By: Mikey_Sunset

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 06:27 PM

I'm sure Joey will have no problems finding a vacant condo in Del Boca Vista.
Posted By: cheech

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: carmela
Originally Posted By: Serpiente

Oh darn. Do we really have to wait til later to hear the bread story? I'm too anxious.

So happy you're back. grin

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: cheech
Originally Posted By: carmela

So happy you're back. grin

She's hot shit, ain't she? grin

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 08:19 PM

Hey buddy whats up,I'm bugging you again,no rush.

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 08:20 PM

No problem NNY78
Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
Should make a new sitcom starring Jerry Stiller and Estelle Harris reprising their roles as Frank and Estelle Costanza and Joey Merlino as their nephew Skinny Joey who has come to visit them in Boca.

/me chuckles.

*Doris Roberts not Estelle Harris.

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

/me chuckles.

He actually had it right, Sonny. Doris Roberts played Ray's Mom on "Everybody Loves Raymond." Estelle Harris did indeed play George Costanza's Mother.

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

/me chuckles.

He actually had it right, Sonny. Doris Roberts played Ray's Mom on "Everybody Loves Raymond." Estelle Harris did indeed play George Costanza's Mother.

I know, I'd just prefer Doris to play the part wink

Interesting fact, both Doris Roberts (Ray's mom) and brad garrett (Ray's brother Robert), the two funniest actors/characters in the sitcom are Jewish, not Italian.

Marone!

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 10:25 PM

Interesting fact, both Doris Roberts (Ray's mom) and brad garrett (Ray's brother Robert), the two funniest actors/characters in the sitcom are Jewish, not Italian.

Marone!

And Peter Boyle was as Irish as a warm Guinness lol.

But Jews always played Italians back in the '50s and '60s. Nothing new there. From George Raft to Edward G. Robinson to Peter Falk to Sheldon Leonard.

Jews and Italians have much in common. Except for Jesus and bacon, we're pretty similar (and don't tell anyone, but some of my very best Jewish friends eat bacon grin ).

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/03/14 10:54 PM

George Raft had some Italian blood in him somewhere. They say he was actually good friends with some real gangsters, including Capone.

I think his original name was "Ranft". Also he started out as a professional dancer.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: salvi62
George Raft had some Italian blood in him somewhere. They say he was actually good friends with some real gangsters, including Capone.

I think his original name was "Ranft". Also he started out as a professional dancer.

Yea Salvi Raft liked to be in the company of Gangsters..Here's a picture of him with
"The Boot"(far right), the guy I never knew existed until I had the pleasure of someone on this forum tell me about him **Cough-Ahh!**

Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 01:00 PM

the philly mob should tell him that he has to resign

everybody in philly is gonna get indicted because of some shit from florida
Posted By: Blackjack2121

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: cookcounty

what are you talking about?

rolleyes
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 03:07 PM

(and don't tell anyone, but some of my very best Jewish friends eat bacon grin ).

It's Un-American to NOT eat Bacon lol
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 03:10 PM

Give me liberty or give me bacon.
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 03:13 PM

So guys in Philly are gonna get arrested for Merlino opening a restaurant in Florida?

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
(and don't tell anyone, but some of my very best Jewish friends eat bacon grin ).

It's Un-American to NOT eat Bacon lol

Absolutely. And turkey bacon ain't bacon! lol

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 03:23 PM

I wonder if Joey will hire Angelo Lutz as his Chef? LOL
Posted By: bronx

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 05:04 PM

he should open a jewish deli there and call it kosher noshtra
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

So guys in Philly are gonna get arrested for Merlino opening a restaurant in Florida?

merlino has never worked a job in his life

the money he used to start his restaurant comes from a criminal conspiracy

somebody in philly needs to grow some balls and tell him he's bad for business

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 07:07 PM

somebody in philly needs to grow some balls and tell him he's bad for business

Cook,

I can't argue with you on your point that Joey needs to keep a low profile, maybe you can talk some sense into him. tongue

Back to Lambiet for a second, Joey couldn't have been happy with the picture he used in the article, its about 15 years old and he looks a little stressed.
Posted By: JoeFromDaHeights

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 07:09 PM

A friend of mine recently gave me some bacon jerky as a gift. It was fantastic!
Posted By: JoeFromDaHeights

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/04/14 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bronx
he should open a jewish deli there and call it kosher noshtra

That's clever, Bronx! Hilarious!

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/05/14 05:24 PM

I think we can shut this thread now!

Lmao.
Posted By: Garbageman

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 12:15 PM

http://brooklynwaterbagels.com/about-us/our-history/

This guy is one of a couple people I know of who claim to have chemically reproduced NYC water. The first man I heard of attempt to do this was actually a friend of mine from high school. He partnered with a scientist geek to reproduce NYC water for use in a bagel shop out in California. As far as I know, they were successful.

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Garbageman

This guy is one of a couple people I know of who claim to have chemically reproduced NYC water. The first man I heard of attempt to do this was actually a friend of mine from high school. He partnered with a scientist geek to reproduce NYC water for use in a bagel shop out in California. As far as I know, they were successful.

Interesting, Brother. But I still say it wouldn't work in South Florida because of the humidity smile.

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 01:10 PM

They have a couple shops down here, the bread is as close to NY as I have had so far down here, good stuff.
Posted By: Benny3Balls

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: NNY78

They have a couple shops down here, the bread is as close to NY as I have had so far down here, good stuff.

Does the water really make that much difference? I always hear that about pizza too, but last time i was in L.A. i went to this one place that i thought had pretty decent pizza and i'm a NY-NJ guy. Bunch of italian guys working the place with real heavy just off the boat accents. I don't know, i might not be a pizza expert but i thought it was pretty decent.

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 04:51 PM

Ok.

Enough with this water talk. WTF am I missing here. Isn't New York like the most polluted place outside of LA and maybe Detroit?

Why THE FUCK would you import it's water?

I mean, I've bought Naan bread before and there sure as shit isn't anyone importing the water from New Delhi.
Posted By: SC

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 04:57 PM

Enough with this water talk. WTF am I missing here. Isn't New York like the most polluted place outside of LA and maybe Detroit?

NYC water is actually very good. It's not a hard water and it's quite clean (coming from reservoirs upstate).
Posted By: Serpiente

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 05:09 PM

PB is close ,it is not how clean or dirty it's other factors.

And it was always thought that it was the water only .

It has been proven not to be only the water ,and the guys that proved it are making a small fortune.

It is not just the bagels and dinner rolls.
The real money comes from there sub bread and there are hundreds if not thousands of places getting the bread now..

And yes to all the people that think they know,that do not ,there is a science to baking the bread away from the area...

It is very difficult, hence why most get the recipe, and know how , from the same guy..(And often it still does not work)

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

NYC water is actually very good. It's not a hard water and it's quite clean (coming from reservoirs upstate).

New York City water is the fucking best. Bread and baking aside, I mean the way it tastes. When I go upstate, I can't even drink enough of that well water to get an aspirin down. It's disgusting.

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

New York City water is the fucking best. Bread and baking aside, I mean the way it tastes. When I go upstate, I can't even drink enough of that well water to get an aspirin down. It's disgusting.

That 'taste' is called fluoride. It's put in there to kill all the horrible shit that's in there.

Probably.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 05:59 PM

Lol...Now you want to talk about water, Sonny! wink

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/06/14 06:01 PM

That 'taste' is called fluoride. It's put in there to kill all the horrible shit that's in there.

I don't care. There's an old American saying: No one wants to know what's actually in a hot dog.

Same principle grin.

Re: Joey Merlino to open restaraunt in Boca - 09/13/14 10:37 AM

I don't care. There's an old American saying: No one wants to know what's actually in a hot dog.

Same principle grin.

Isn't it a pig's asshole?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET