Home

Visiting NYC Soon

Posted By: ChrissyScars

Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 08:59 AM

Hey everyone, I'm taking a trip to NYC soon. I was looking for some suggestions of places to see. I was wondering what some historic Mob sights are that you recommend and what I should check out when I'm there. I will be spending the majority of the time in Manhattan. So, what are some good places with history? Or maybe some historic eateries as well. Thanks in advance
Posted By: PetroPirelli

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:28 AM

Here's a link that may help Chrissy.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/top-lists/juliet-papas-seven-notorious-mafia-spots-and-hangouts-in-nyc/

I'm sure other posters will have more spots for you that aren't listed here.
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 10:50 AM

Petro's list is pretty good. Campagnolas Restaurant on first avenue and 74th street is good and go to Rao's on 114th street early and sit in the bar and have a cocktail and a snack. Colorful characters are always there.
Posted By: ChrissyScars

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 11:17 AM

What time would you recommend going to Rao's? I hear its really small and impossible to get in.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: ChrissyScars
What time would you recommend going to Rao's? I hear its really small and impossible to get in.

You'll only be able to walk in late in the afternoon while they're prepping for dinner. You can get a drink at the bar, and if you're lucky you can order something small to eat.

Seriously, go somewhere else. The whole mythical Rao's thing is the most exaggerated in New York City wink.
Posted By: DanteMoltisanti

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 11:29 AM

Don Peppe's in Ozone Park Queens is terrific if you are into clams.

On a side note, if you are looking for the best burger you will ever have in your entire life go to Donovans in Woodside Queens
Posted By: carmela

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Seriously, go somewhere else. The whole mythical Rao's thing is the most exaggerated in New York City wink.

Seriously. The first time (out of two) that we went there, my husband spoke Italian to the maitre d/host/whatever he was, and the guy looked at him like he was speaking chinese. And it was proper Italian, not his usual Sicilian dialect. Second, those meatballs they go on and on about...over-rated like the rest of the food, and actually are the way italian-americans make the meatballs here. That's not how they are made in Italy at all. But it goes along with everything and everybody else in there... Tony Soprano-like Italians.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: carmela

Seriously. The first time (out of two) that we went there, my husband spoke Italian to the maitre d/host/whatever he was, and the guy looked at him like he was speaking chinese. And it was proper Italian, not his usual Sicilian dialect. Second, those meatballs they go on and on about...over-rated like the rest of the food, and actually are the way italian-americans make the meatballs here. That's not how they are made in Italy at all. But it goes along with everything and everybody else in there... Tony Soprano-like Italians.

Yup. You already know this, Carm. But my father's parents lived on Pleasant and 118th for like fifty years. And prior to some Hollywood type gushing about it to a NY Times reporter, hardly anyone ever ate there (comparatively speaking). Then it just exploded. But the neighborhood people always preferred Andy's over Rao's. And Frank Pellegrino is an asshole grin.
Posted By: padrone

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 11:54 AM

Forlini’s Restaurant in China Town (used to be Little Italy) off of Canal on Baxter Street. Old school Italian and every family function (death, baptism, communion etc.) was held here for my family. I haven't been there in ten years but hear its still great and it has that old world charm
Posted By: alexandarns

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:01 PM

The last time i was in nyc,actually in brooklyn,it was 2008 or 2009 i ate in la pallina's on ave o i think.It was ok if you live somewhere close,but i wouldn't take a trip for that particular place.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: padrone
Forlini’s Restaurant in China Town (used to be Little Italy) off of Canal on Baxter Street. Old school Italian and every family function (death, baptism, communion etc.) was held here for my family. I haven't been there in ten years but hear its still great and it has that old world charm

My uncle owned a building on Baxter, right across the street from the back entrance of Most Precious Blood. I spent A LOT of time on that block back in the '70s and '80s. And Forlini's was always great. The best part about it was that it was off the beaten path of Mulberry and all the fucking tourists smile.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: alexandarns
The last time i was in nyc,actually in brooklyn,it was 2008 or 2009 i ate in la pallina's on ave o i think.It was ok if you live somewhere close,but i wouldn't take a trip for that particular place.

You should have told me. I could have sent you to a Serbian restaurant. But the Board of Health closed them down.

You know I'm kidding lol.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:11 PM

My uncle owned a building on Baxter, right across the street from the back entrance of Most Precious Blood. I spent A LOT of time on that block back in the '70s and '80s. And Forlini's was always great. The best part about it was that it was off the beaten path of Mulberry and all the fucking tourists smile.

Ya know PB, it's getting to the point where I want to smack those smiley faces of yours right off the board.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:23 PM

Ya know PB, it's getting to the point where I want to smack those smiley faces of yours right off the board.

lol (see what I did there?)

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:28 PM

Heheheh funny :)that's all i need more of the food i eat every day..I actually don't know any serbian joints in nyc,you tried serbian food pizza?

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:31 PM

you tried serbian food pizza?

I've eaten at quite a few Eastern European places in my life. The Lower East Side used to be loaded with them. But I think they were mostly Yugoslavian/Polish/Ukrainian in origin. Is the food similar?
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:33 PM

Anyone ever seen A Serbian Film?

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:39 PM

Yes that's the same in one way or another.The yugoslavian particular..because yugoslavia was made up of 6 republics wich all became independent..so the food is the same,as is in all balkans.not so close to polish and ukranian..I think that there is a serbian restaurant in the east vilage called"kafana",so if you are in the neighbourhood try it out.it's suposed to be very good.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:43 PM

Yes that's the same in one way or another.The yugoslavian particular..because yugoslavia was made up of 6 republics wich all became independent..so the food is the same,as is in all balkans.not so close to polish and ukranian..I think that there is a serbian restaurant in the east vilage called"kafana",so if you are in the neighbourhood try it out.it's suposed to be very good.

Just make sure you know a good plumber.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:50 PM

Why do you think that,it's not mexican food..it's like greek,close to that.everybody who trys the food loves it.lot of meat and homemade bread..are u albanian moe,albanians really don't like serbs? smile

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 12:54 PM

I'm just breaking balls. I never tried Serbian food before.

The only food that gives me the runs is Indian food.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 01:01 PM

oh ok then,for me its mexican,cant take it wink i watched serbian movie,its not for little kids..
Posted By: SC

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 01:39 PM

Hey everyone, I'm taking a trip to NYC soon. I was looking for some suggestions of places to see. I was wondering what some historic Mob sights are that you recommend and what I should check out when I'm there. I will be spending the majority of the time in Manhattan. So, what are some good places with history? Or maybe some historic eateries as well.

Advance planning will make your visit a lot easier and more enjoyable. Pick an area in which there are a few places of interest to you and walk leisurely to each. I'd suggest "midtown-west" as a good place to start. Within a fairly small area (and easily walked) you'll find some places that should interest your mob history curiosity. Start at 71st Street and Central Park West (115 Central Pk West) and you'll see The Majestic Apartment Building (where Frank Costello lived and was shot by Vincent Gigante in 1957. (It's also across the street from where John Lennon was shot). Walk down Central Park West to 59th Street and you'll be in Columbus Circle, the sight of where Joe Colombo was shot in 1971. A few short blocks away at 56th Street and Seventh Avenue you'll see the big hotel building (on the west side of Seventh) in which Albert Anastasia was killed while in its barbershop in 1957. (Also, Arnold Rothstein was shot in the same hotel back in 1928. He died a few days later from his wounds). That barbershop is now a newsstand - just off the side entrance to the hotel on 55th Street. That's a morning's worth of sightseeing. Break for lunch - there are tons of places to get some decent food. (You might consider staying on 55th Street and walking a block and half west to just before Eighth Avenue and get some soup from The Soup Nazi (the real life guy made famous on "Seinfeld"). I think he's still open there.

Head on over to the east side (walking eastward on 46th Street) and you'll pass the gorgeous old building straddling Park Avenue. It's where Salvatore Maranzano was killed in 1931 on one of the upper floors. If nothing else, just peek inside the building and see its beautiful interior with awesome elevators. Continue east a few blocks and you'll come to Sparks Steakhouse (site of Paul Castellano's death on the sidewalk back in 1985). If you have time and money try some food there!

Anyway, that's a starter .....
Posted By: Belette

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 01:42 PM

Someone posted this map on this forum a while back. It might be helpful https://www.google.com/maps/u/0/ms?msid=...&dg=feature
Posted By: StLguy

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 03:35 PM

I've eaten at quite a few Eastern European places in my life. The Lower East Side used to be loaded with them. But I think they were mostly Yugoslavian/Polish/Ukrainian in origin. Is the food similar?

Considering that Serbia was in the core of the old Yugoslavia, I would think that there food would have to be similar to yugoslavia....or the same...

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 03:42 PM

I was wondering what some historic Mob sights are that you recommend and what I should check out when I'm there. I will be spending the majority of the time in Manhattan. So, what are some good places with history? Or maybe some historic eateries as well. Thanks in advance

There is a shoe store in Little Italy where John Gotti used to buy heels.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 03:45 PM

Yes exactly,more or less its the same.but there is a big difference betwen main land food and coast/mediteran type food.and yes serbia was the biggest and the leading country in yugoslavia,and then the other countries wanted out because they were being sucked dry.so now instead of a big yugoslavia there is 6 little countries with 6 same langues..big time bullshit
Posted By: padrone

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 04:31 PM

PB is right on: the lower east side had a bunch of eastern European places. My dad used to take me to one that is still there. Its called Little Poland around 2nd and 11th. Cheap and lots of food for the price. Check it out you wont be dissapointed
Posted By: Dbm7

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 04:39 PM

Lol, you're alright Carmela!

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 06:45 PM

Wah wah wah. . . You're in New York City, not Italy sweetheart wink lol.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: PetroPirelli

I'm in Jersey...just like it says under my profile picture.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 07:05 PM

PB what was the name of the restaurant on Second Ave or Chrystie st, beteween Houston and Canal. You had to walk down a few steps to get in. Small always packed. I think it is closed now. I'm talking about in the 70's -90's

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 07:19 PM

That's funny. I spoke to a Chinese guy last time I was in New York and he looked at me like I was speaking English.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 07:23 PM

[quote=pizzaboy]
That's not how they are made in Italy at all. But it goes along with everything and everybody else in there... Tony Soprano-like Italians.

Are you wonderbread wops?

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 07:39 PM

I'm in Jersey...just like it says under my profile picture.

We were talking about Rao's though, no?

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 07:50 PM

Well, I was. I don't know what you brought up my location for. That's on you.

@StLguy...no, we're not. Well, maybe I am as my father is from Sicily, I am not. But my husband isn't from this country, so he's definitely not wonderbread, or however you call it.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 07:55 PM

@StLguy...no, we're not.

Just a joke.

I used the toilet at Rao's and got AIDS.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 07:56 PM

@StLguy...no, we're not. Well, maybe I am as my father is from Sicily, I am not. But my husband isn't from this country, so he's definitely not wonderbread, or however you call it.

Ya know my father always tells me it's not worth arguing with a woman cause they're always right whistle.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 07:57 PM

"or however you call it."

That is what Tony Soprano called the Cusamanos. I
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 08:03 PM

Ya know my father always tells me it's not worth arguing with a woman cause they're always right whistle.

He is a very SMART man. My grandpa always said "You can't win with the women around".

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 08:06 PM

Mine told me that is is worthless to repeat something to a woman with two blacks eyes because she 's already been told twice.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 08:07 PM

It has nothing to do with being a woman, I was right because I was right.

Done.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl

He is a very SMART man. My grandpa always said "You can't win with the women around".

I think it's passed from generation to generation wink.
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 08:24 PM

A Wonderbread whop, they eat there sunday gravy outta a can..lol.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: StLguy
"or however you call it."

That is what Tony Soprano called the Cusamanos.

lol

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 08:49 PM

I found it PB, its Sammy's Romanian Steakhouse, 157 Chrystie Street, NYC

http://www.sammysromanian.com/
Posted By: DonMega1888

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 08:54 PM

Best of luck on the trip, enjoy..... cool cool cool

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:00 PM

Veselka is the only Eastern European joint left that I frequent down there. They're Ukrainian. They've been on 2nd Avenue and 9th Street for like sixty years. Our Village property is on West 8th, just off MacDougal. But I walk crosstown just to eat breakfast there all the time

It's run down, and it's more of a diner than a restaurant. But the food is great, and it's just about the last remaining link to the old Lower East Side. And everyone here knows how I feel about the new Manhattan lol.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:10 PM

Veselka is the only Eastern European joint left that I frequent down there. They're Ukrainian. They've been on 2nd Avenue and 9th Street for like sixty years. Our Village property is on West 8th, just off MacDougal. But I walk crosstown just to eat breakfast there all the time

It's run down, and it's more of a diner than a restaurant. But the food is great, and it's just about the last remaining link to the old Lower East Side. And everyone here knows how I feel about the new Manhattan lol.

I'm half Ukrainian and that side of my family originally lived in the Lower East Side when they came over during WWII.

What do you usually get there PB?
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:14 PM

@ Petro...I don't know how you changed a post without seeing that you edited it, anyway what the hell is a baba?

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: njcapo35
@ Petro...I don't know how you changed a post without seeing that you edited it, anyway what the hell is a baba?

I deleted the post that's how. Baba is grandmother in Ukrainian and I was saying that she can cook her ass off. Real deal Ukrainian food to die for.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:25 PM

I deleted the post that's how. Baba is grandmother in Ukrainian and I was saying that she can cook her ass off. Real deal Ukrainian food to die for.

Is also grandma in Czechoslovakian, which is where my mother is from.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:26 PM

Oh Ok.....I never had Ukrainian food before, what would you recommend?

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:38 PM

. And everyone here knows how I feel about the new Manhattan lol.

Man shat in.

(Drunk...)

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:48 PM

Oh Ok.....I never had Ukrainian food before, what would you recommend?

The most popular and well known in my opinion are perogies or varenyky. Which are pictured in the link below.

http://www.activeukraine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/varenyky-2.jpg

Also well known are cabbage rolls or holopchi. Pictured below.

http://www.claudiascookbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Cabbage-Rolls.jpg

Borscht. Pictured below.

http://picturetherecipe.com/wp-content/u...reTheRecipe.jpg

Kielbasa and perogies below.

http://www.mightysweet.com/mesohungry/wp...gies-Kasias.jpg

Many others and all delicious. Little butter never hurt anyone wink .

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:49 PM

Is also grandma in Czechoslovakian, which is where my mother is from.

Very cool. Your father Italian?

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:52 PM

^^^ That's right. He's from Sicily. I have found that the Czechs are much worse than the Italians, temper-wise. wink

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:54 PM

[quote=njcapo35]Little butter never hurt anyone wink .

That's true if almost every food. Butter is awesome!!!

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:56 PM

^^^ That's right. He's from Sicily. I have found that the Czechs are much worse than the Italians, temper-wise. wink

I'm the other way around. My father is Ukrainian and my mother is Italian. I agree with you on the temper thing though, from past experiences and what not whistle.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:56 PM

Thanks Petro...Mo Butter Mo Better!

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 09:59 PM

Thanks Petro...Mo Butter Mo Better!

Haha! You know it! wink

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/28/14 10:21 PM

Yeah your right....That's just as bad of a mix as my girl who is Half Italian and Half Irish.....HELP ME!
Posted By: EVL

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/29/14 05:00 AM

I think the best Italian food is in Bath Beach, outside the city.

Also here's a great map of mob sites...https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215336069877542587568.0004e34e7ee9d36919b12&msa=0

Whoever is coming to NYC send me an email if you like. I have further input to offer: eddie2843@gmail.com

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/29/14 12:04 PM

I'm half Ukrainian and that side of my family originally lived in the Lower East Side when they came over during WWII.

Well, I try to get to the Village early in the day, so I mostly go there for breakfast. So it's the standard fare. Omelettes, etc. But they have those big fat breakfast sausages that you rarely see today. Most diners use those little skinny links, which I don't really care for. But as far as lunch and dinner, it's the usual stuff. Stuffed cabbage, blintzes, goulashes, etc. And their potato pancakes are every bit as good as the old Second Avenue Deli (which was just a few doors away for many years).

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/29/14 01:20 PM

Well, I try to get to the Village early in the day, so I mostly go there for breakfast. So it's the standard fare. Omelettes, etc. But they have those big fat breakfast sausages that you rarely see today. Most diners use those little skinny links, which I don't really care for. But as far as lunch and dinner, it's the usual stuff. Stuffed cabbage, blintzes, goulashes, etc. And their potato pancakes are every bit as good as the old Second Avenue Deli (which was just a few doors away for many years).

Totally understand about the breakfast sandwiches! I'm a sausage egg and cheese guy myself. That's great though - I don't hear too much about Ukrainian diners anymore. The Greeks took it over for the most part in my opinion.
Posted By: Sal_Bronte

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/29/14 02:20 PM

dont get me wrong, Im just as fascinated with LCN as the next pseudo Mob buff but theres so much cool non related Mob stuff to see and in NYC that I wouldnt have even thought about it the times I visited if it wasnt for the people I was with being all about it(my father the first trip, childhood friend the second)

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/29/14 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Sal_Bronte
dont get me wrong, Im just as fascinated with LCN as the next pseudo Mob buff but theres so much cool non related Mob stuff to see and in NYC that I wouldnt have even thought about it the times I visited if it wasnt for the people I was with being all about it(my father the first trip, childhood friend the second)

Of course. If you're visiting New York just to take a mob tour you should consult a psychiatrist immediately.
Posted By: domwoods74

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/29/14 03:21 PM

I would love to visit new York just to go on a mob tour and as soon as it finished get the next plane home lol lol
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/29/14 03:53 PM

Go to Grimaldi's in Brooklyn. Great Pizza there.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/29/14 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: domwoods74
I would love to visit new York just to go on a mob tour and as soon as it finished get the next plane home lol lol

You've always been a special case, Dom whistle.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/29/14 06:27 PM

Of course. If you're visiting New York just to take a mob tour you should consult a psychiatrist immediately.

lol
Posted By: Sal_Bronte

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/29/14 09:06 PM

lol Ive heard of stranger things

like maybe one or two but stranger none the less

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/31/14 12:12 AM

" I have found that the Czechs are much worse than the Italians, temper-wise"

I guess they can't Czech their anger.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/31/14 09:10 AM

Don't write Czechs that your ass can't cash.

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/31/14 09:35 AM

Ididn't know czechs were such bad asses,there a guy from the czech republic living in my building.And by the way,he's living with a guy..Maybe they are just very,very good friends wink wink grin

Re: Visiting NYC Soon - 08/31/14 09:45 AM

He likes Czeching guys out in the showers.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET