Home

Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia

Posted By: TheAustralian

Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 10:34 AM

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you could suggest some books on the modern American mafia? It would be much appreciated.

Cheers smile
Posted By: BennyB

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 10:59 AM

There aren't many books on 2000-2014 that I know of.

In the latest edition of Five Families, Raab, the author, added an afterword that briefly discusses the future of the mafia and how they regained some power after 9/11 when the FBI focused on terrorism.

There is also "King of the Godfathers: Joseph Massino and the Fall of the Bonanno Crime Family," a book that includes Massino's defection to the government. Probably the biggest thing that's happened since 2000.

I think you'd be better off reading the blogs. Most of the books coming out are about pre-2000.
Posted By: domwoods74

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 11:19 AM

Mafia prince , mob boss , deal with the devil , in the godfathers garden , undercover cop , mafia summit , were going to win this thing , family secrets , the Sinatra club , mafia inc , mafia son , rogue mobster , vinny gorgeous , gaspipe , operation family secrets , the sixth family , mob over Miami , the last godfather , mob killer , the ice man , the mob and me , the brotherhoods , family affair , surviving the mob , for the sins of my father , Donnie brasco ( unfinished business ) , made men , mafia takedown , breakshot , the butcher , the last mouthpiece , they were all released after 2000 and that's off the top of my head , there r a lot more

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 11:21 AM

There is also the book on joe Colombo and the book about john alite due out
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: domwoods74

Dom, you sure hit a lot of them. Another excellent book is "A Mob Story" by Michelle McPhee. It isn't exactly about the classic "Mob" but rather about mob associates in the Bath Avenue crew and the lavish life of Chris Pacillo, the king of South Beach. I enjoyed this book immensely and am reading it again. Another classic is Murder Machine by Jerry Capici and lastly the story of Tommy Pitaro which I think is entitled ".the butcher" Hope this helps. wink

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 02:13 PM

Mentioned that one pal , mob over Miami , it's the same book

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 02:14 PM

Mentioned the butcher aswel , murder machine came out before 2000 did it not ??

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 03:42 PM

Oh sorry, I thought he wanted books that were only about the period of 2000-2014
Posted By: mickey2

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 03:42 PM

Mentioned the butcher aswel , murder machine came out before 2000 did it not ??

yeah, in the 90's. And he asked for books that cover the activity of LCN from 2000-2014, not for the release date.

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 04:10 PM

I thought he meant books released within that time period , I've wasted my time then ha ha
Posted By: DiLorenzo

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 04:47 PM

There is also the book about john alite due out
Wow, who the hell wants to read about this fink ???
Posted By: ItalianIrishMix

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/26/14 05:04 PM

There probably aren't that many because they would seem very boring in comparison to past eras.....They rarely kill anyone like they use to. Scarfo had a 4-5 body average a year!

Who wants to hear about someone giving a guy a loan and just bleeding him dry until his business trades hands?.....BORING!
Someone hack sawing bodies in the back of a bar, as a team effort, like the Ford plant assembly line........ NOW that's stuff that make people go, WOW!

It definitely is a good thing that current bosses choose mediation over murder BUT, people LOVE violence. Good books and movies NEED bad stuff to provide the drama......Sad but true!

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/28/14 07:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ItalianIrishMix
There probably aren't that many because they would seem very boring in comparison to past eras.....They rarely kill anyone like they use to. Scarfo had a 4-5 body average a year!

Who wants to hear about someone giving a guy a loan and just bleeding him dry until his business trades hands?.....BORING!
Someone hack sawing bodies in the back of a bar, as a team effort, like the Ford plant assembly line........ NOW that's stuff that make people go, WOW!

It definitely is a good thing that current bosses choose mediation over murder BUT, people LOVE violence. Good books and movies NEED bad stuff to provide the drama......Sad but true!
Irish- You hit the nail on the head. I think mob life just ain't what it used to be. Yeah, people want violence

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/28/14 07:46 AM

Dom, wasn't aware that Mob story was apparently previously published under the name of "Mob over Miami".
Posted By: PetroPirelli

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/28/14 07:52 AM

I wouldn't mind reading the book with Alite. There will be murders and a different look at the Gotti family that most people haven't heard or seen. Should be interesting.
Posted By: PetroPirelli

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/28/14 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: ItalianIrishMix

I do agree about the violence and it sad but true. That's what the people have wanted since the start of man.

Re: Books on the modern (2000-2014) mafia - 08/28/14 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: PetroPirelli

I wouldn't mind reading the book with Alite. There will be murders and a different look at the Gotti family that most people haven't heard or seen. Should be interesting.

"Surviving the Mob: A Street Soldier's Life in the Gambino Crime Family" by Andrew DiDonato (an associate) is a pretty good look at the Gambinos other than the Gottis. This guy was an associate of the Corozzo crew.

Not a great book, but a lot of parts are really good, like how he gets started shaking down drug dealers and how Nicky Corozzo puts him in charge of a gambling store.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET