Home

Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust

Posted By: IvyLeague

Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 03:17 PM

Thanks to john g for originally posting this.

Top mobster from Ramapo arrested by Rockland DA, FBI
Steve Lieberman
August 7, 2014

A top-ranking mob figure from Ramapo was arrested Thursday morning on conspiracy charges involving loan sharking and illegal gambling.

Daniel Pagano, 61, the son of the late Hudson Valley mob boss Joseph Pagano, was arrested at his home in Ramapo, law enforcement sources said. The arrest was made by detectives with the Rockland District Attorney's Office and the FBI.

An alleged associate, Michael Palazzolo, was also arrested. Both men have been indicted on charges of racketeering conspiracy and conspiracy to commit extortion. Prosecutors are seeking forfeiture of their assets and property.

The U.S. Attorney's Office declined comment on the case.

Pagano's attorney, Murray Richman of the Bronx, declined comment on the charges but said Pagano would plead not guilty to the charges when arraigned Thursday afternoon in U.S. District Court.

Richman, a former New City resident, said Pagano planned to put up his house on Christmas Hill Road as collateral for bail under an arrangement with prosecutors.

Pagano was identified by prosecutors as a captain in the Genovese crime family, "part of a nationwide criminal organization." As a capo, Pagano ran a crew and answered and paid money from the gambling operation to the leaders of the crime organization, they said.

The indictment accuses Pagano and Palazzolo of participating in a conspiracy involving gambling and using threats and extortion to collect money from gamblers.

This is not Pagano's first brush with the law. He was sentenced to nearly nine years in federal prison after being convicted in 1998 of leading a tax scam related to bootleg gasoline sales involving Russian mob figures.

Pagano ran the scam for the Genovese, Gambino, Lucchese and Colombo crime families, New Jersey prosecutors said at the time. The scam defrauded the federal government of more than $77 million.

He also served three years in New York state prison from 1990 to 1993 for gambling and loan sharking.

Back in 1983, Pagano was accused of being involvment with African-American activist Al Sharpton in business dealings and drugs. In the 1989 indictment, Pagano was described as a Genovese soldier charged with running the family's Westchester and Rockland loansharking, extortion, and gambling operations. He also was accused of using a bank account of Sharpton's National Youth Movement to launder mob money.

Sharpton has repeatedly denied the allegations.

Pagano's father-in-law, Vincent DeVito, was shot dead dead in 2003 in the back yard of his Airmont house. DeVito had been tied linked to the robbery of $100,000 and jewelry from a millionaire businessman living in Piermont.

No one has been arrested in DeVito's killing.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/20...ffice/13717371/
Posted By: domwoods74

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 03:29 PM

Great post ivy , the paganos r longtime genovese mobsters who have done jail time , can see pagano ratting
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 03:32 PM

Dom, is that a typo? You meant I can't see the Paganos ratting right?
Posted By: domwoods74

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 03:33 PM

Sorry pal , yes . Stupid fuckin ipad , I'm gonna clip the thing ha

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 03:33 PM

LOL! I knew that's what you meant!
Posted By: baldo

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 03:51 PM

Any word on who whacked his father in law?
Posted By: Louiebynochi

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 05:23 PM

Wonder what johnny matassa and.chicago think
Posted By: Crash

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 06:34 PM

His father was a former bronx guy.
Posted By: JamesNYC

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 08:05 PM

Interesting stuff. Wonder who clipped the father-in-law.
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 08:42 PM

So is it safe to say Danny's got Quiet Doms crew nowadays?
Posted By: pmac

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 09:16 PM

Is he the guy who was charged with killing a cop or his friend killed a cop in the 70 tys not the guy fittzy in queens. He made a killing in the gas scam so I'm guessing he was friendly with are favorite rat TV star Michael franese . Remember reading this guy was one of chins favorites or it could have been his dad. Wants he gonna get for this 3 yrs on the plea. Its pizza boys favorite lawyer Murray. I like this guy he gets in a lot of headlines he's old as shit to I think. I wish Pete peluso wrote a book on his 50 of lawyering for the family would have been interesting.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 09:39 PM

Here is an interesting article on Pagano back in 1989

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/06/13/nyregi...ng.htmlArchives

5 Are Indicted As Participants In Rackets Ring
By JAMES FERON, Special to The New York Times
Published: June 13, 1989
EMAIL
PRINT

A Rockland County grand jury today indicted five people believed to be organized-crime figures on charges of participating in a ''criminal enterprise'' involving gambling, loan sharking and extortion, much of it in Westchester and Rockland Counties.

Ronald Goldstock, director of the New York State Organized Crime Task Force, said those accused included Daniel Pagano, a 37-year-old Rockland resident, who, with his father, ''ran the Pagano faction of the Canterino crew'' of the Genovese crime family.

The indictment identified Vincent (Chin) Gigante as the ''boss'' of the Genovese family and Dominick (Baldy Dom) Canterino as one of the ''capos,'' with Joseph Pagano, who died earlier this year of natural causes, and his son serving as ''soldiers.'' A Waterfront Project

One of the faction's jobs, Mr. Goldstock said, was to mediate disputes between trash haulers in the Westchester sanitation industry and ''to control a Westchester waterfront construction project'' in Yonkers, ''insuring continued domination of the on-site gambling and loan-sharking activities.''

The authorities said the gambling activities were operated for the most part from two offices, at 5421 Sylvan Avenue in the Bronx and at 188 East 80th Street in Manhattan, where bets were accepted and called to a telephone at Joseph Pagano's home in Monsey, a Rockland village, where they were recorded on an answering machine.

The Rockland County District Attorney, Kenneth Gribetz, said they were ''commuting criminals who did a little bit of work at home and the major work in their offices.'' Many Rockland residents ''were placing bets with these individuals,'' he said, ''but the majority were in the Bronx and Manhattan.'' A Pit Bull for Collections

Mr. Goldstock said the accused made usurious loans at prearranged rates of interest, generally amounting to 156 percent a year. He said the ''collection of unlawful debts was accomplished in part by the use of a pit bull terrier.''

He said the group demanded payment from Irwin Schiff, a mob-linked businessman shot to death in a Manhattan restaurant in 1987 ''who committed the sin of using the Pagano name without permission.'' Those indicted also ''sought to use the bank account of the National Youth Movement to avoid reporting cash transactions.''

The National Youth Movement, now defunct, was founded by the Rev. Al Sharpton when he was 16. Mr. Goldstock, when asked if Mr. Sharpton was aware of the group's suspected interest in using the organization to launder money, said Mr. Sharpton ''has not been indicted'' and the investigation ''at this point is concluded.''

Indicted on ''enterprise corruption,'' a New York State version of RICO, the Federal racketeering law, were Daniel Pagano, 37, of 18 Hastings Avenue, Wesley Hills, N.Y.; Lawrence Blumenfeld, 55, of 246 Shady Rock Lane, Pomona, N.Y.; Charles Hemstreet, 42, of 95 Waters Edge Road, Congers, N.Y.; Howard Spitz, 35, of 230 Kearsing Parkway, Pomona, and Carmine Tenga, 37, of 249 Revere Avenue, the Bronx.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 10:09 PM

Besides the post above, here is another article about Slim Shadie Sharpton and the FBI targeting the Paganos.

One highlight is:

"The probe focused on some colorful characters. There was the mobster, Joseph Pagano, who controlled Sammy Davis Jr., and for good measure, was engaged in kickback schemes with several Columbia Records executives. Pagano also was a close friend of comedian Rodney Dangerfield, who had performed at the weddings of Pagano's son and daughter during the 1970s. And there was Morris Levy, who was the founder and head of Roulette Records. Levy, a heavy straight from central casting, ran the label as a profit center for the Genovese crime family. He was a go-to guy in the record industry whose net worth was north of $50 million. Much of that wealth represented his cut from the $30 million to $40 million he'd siphoned away over the years from Roulette's biggest hitmakers, Tommy James and the Shondells.

Here is the full article:

http://nlpc.org/stories/2014/04/08/al-sharpton-revealed-fbi-mob-sting-informant

Posted By: Holyoke

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 10:13 PM

Anyone else thinking Sharpton had something to do with this?

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 10:14 PM

Will Sharpton be testifying?

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 10:16 PM

Never mind my last comments. Was thinking out loud after drinking. He'll probably take a plea.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 10:17 PM

Anything is possible with Sharpton!

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/07/14 10:23 PM

Sharpton plays by the books ;-)
Posted By: DB

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/08/14 11:17 AM

I have a good friend from Yonkers and he told me this guy is ( or was ) a huge earner . Big sports book and a pile of cash to lend out, big shy. Would love to get PB take as the info I got could be dated but this bust appears to be significant for LE
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/08/14 11:31 AM

I know a bit about this guy, his father was Joe Pagano who was a Valachi era button along with his brother Patsy, they both came up I believe under the village crew but were from the East Harlem area, now I could be wrong on that. anyway he later relocated to Rockland County and died, Danny P is still based out of Rockland and allegedly was acting for Dom Cirillo at one point in time, but it's entirely possible that he was given his own solely Westchester/Rockland/Bergin crew, it seems he still holds weight though
Posted By: TommyGambino

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/08/14 02:46 PM

Picture of Pagano.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/08/14 04:40 PM

Paulie Walnuts ^^^^^
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/08/14 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: DB
I have a good friend from Yonkers and he told me this guy is ( or was ) a huge earner . Big sports book and a pile of cash to lend out, big shy. Would love to get PB take as the info I got could be dated but this bust appears to be significant for LE

I'll be home on Sunday night, DB. I'll pm you then. But suffice it to say that he's very heavy in the Bronx these days (the fact that he lives in Rockland notwithstanding). I've been telling you guys that QD has been hands off for some time now. So you do the math wink.

Even though these are "only" gambling charges on the surface, this is a very significant arrest for law enforcement because they were able to tie in a RICO. Not to mention that Pagano's current status with that family makes it a headline grabber.

Oh, and there's ZERO chance that anyone named in this case will flip. I'll talk to you guys when I get home smile.
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/08/14 07:12 PM

Im surprised they let him out on bail, usually they try to argue that a higher ranking guy like him is a threat to the community, but then again there doesn't seem to be a lot of violence in the indictment.
Posted By: mightyhealthy

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/08/14 07:24 PM

Had no clue a capo ran Hudson valley. But hey, I have no clue about a lot of things.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/08/14 07:50 PM

Thanks for posting the article, Ivy.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/09/14 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
Had no clue a capo ran Hudson valley. But hey, I have no clue about a lot of things.

The Fea gambling bust in Rockland back in 2010 was also tied to Pagano, who one article said was a captain at that time. Seems that crew runs much of the rackets things in the lower Hudson Valley.
Posted By: Longislandguy14

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 09:53 AM

Did I read somewhere that pagano is pleading not guilty? That kinda goes against the westside mantra doesn't it??

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:04 AM

You are supposed to plead Not Guilty and go to trial and take your chances.
Pleading guilty would result in making an allocution that you are a Mafia member, thus exposing the so called secret society. Roll the dice like many before you!

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:13 AM

The westside been taking guilty pleas for years now. That acting captain larry ricci supposedly got hit because he didn't take a plea in 05.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:16 AM

But don't the feds make them admit that they are members of the Mob when they plaed guilty? I know in todays Rat filled world that doesn't matter but it used to be a big thing in the old days!

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:17 AM

I don't think the Genovese give a shit to be completely honest. As long as nobody is ratting and they don't make national news if they go to trial, and just get back to making money.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
But don't the feds make them admit that they are members of the Mob when they plaed guilty? I know in todays Rat filled world that doesn't matter but it used to be a big thing in the old days!

It hasn't been like that for years. And the Westside was the first family to see it. They were way ahead of the curve there. As usual. Everyone from Patsy to Little Joe Dente to Chin to Barney have had to admit to being part of a larger criminal organization in order to secure plea deals.

As far as Pagano pleading not guilty, it's the standard plea at an arraignment. He can always change it later. And I'm sure he will.
Posted By: Blackjack2121

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

It hasn't been like that for years. And the Westside was the first family to see it. They were way ahead of the curve there. As usual. Everyone from Patsy to Little Joe Dente to Chin to Barney have had to admit to being part of a larger criminal organization in order to secure plea deals.

As far as Pagano pleading not guilty, it's the standard plea at an arraignment. He can always change it later. And I'm sure he will.

Yeah the Genovese saw the writing on the wall long before anyone. Pleading out for shorter sentences was much smarter than taking it to trial every time, especially when it was clear you would lose, unless you knew you could buy a jury.

Gotti really fucked over his brother, Frankie Loc and several others who would have been out of jail years ago if it was not for Gotti's bravado bullshit.

One thing you gotta give the guy is that he went down swinging himself as well. Abided by his own rules he set in place.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:27 AM

Ok got it. Thanks. I know your favorite lawyer is representing him PB. Don't worry Murray lol. He must be worth it if Pagano is going with him though right?

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Blackjack2121

Yeah the Genovese saw the writing on the wall long before anyone. Pleading out for shorter sentences was much smarter than taking it to trial every time, especially when it was clear you would lose, unless you knew you could buy a jury.

Gotti really fucked over his brother, Frankie Loc and several others who would have been out of jail years ago if it was not for Gotti's bravado bullshit.

One thing you gotta give the guy is that he went down swinging himself as well. Abided by his own rules he set in place.

Absolutely. It didn't do him any good, but you certainly can't call him a hypocrite.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Longislandguy14
Ok got it. Thanks. I know your favorite lawyer is representing him PB. Don't worry Murray lol. He must be worth it if Pagano is going with him though right?

He's a great lawyer. I just happen to know a little more about him than meets the eye, and I don't like him.

You really have to watch out for him when a Judge or Prosecutor wants a "global" plea in a large case. He's been known to fuck over his own clients in those situations. That's all I'm going to say.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Longislandguy14

He's a great lawyer. I just happen to know a little more about him than meets the eye, and I don't like him.

You really have to watch out for him when a Judge or Prosecutor wants a "global" plea in a large case. He's been known to fuck over his own clients in those situations. That's all I'm going to say.

Wow.
Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:36 AM

He's pleading innocent because he's not guilty.

Jeez.

Whats wrong with you people?

Edit: *yoose people

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
He's pleading innocent because he's not guilty.

Jeez.

Whats wrong with you people?

Edit: *yoose people

Lmao!
Posted By: Blackjack2121

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:37 AM

Pleading guilty would result in making an allocution that you are a Mafia member, thus exposing the so called secret society. Roll the dice like many before you!

This aint the movies pal

smile

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:39 AM

This aint the movies pal

smile

You'd never know it from these boards lol.

But on a serious note, Beanshooter's not like that. He gets a pass smile.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:46 AM

Sonny's 'yoose' joke slides to.

Yoose know I was only f*#king around.

(Ill stop now)

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:47 AM

This aint the movies pal

smile

That's the way it used to be. Maybe they should reinstate that rule to cut back on the rats!

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:54 AM

This aint the movies pal

smile

That's the way it used to be. Maybe they should reinstate that rule to cut back on the rats!

It's one of the things allowing them to survive, Beanshooter. Without the allocution, the Feds won't give them the plea. Period. And then what? Go to trial and end up like John Gotti?

If not for the art of the plea bargain, and the new "rules," guys like Stevie and Barney would both be doing thirty right now. But instead of that, they're both free to be idolized by pinhead kids on boards like this tongue rolleyes.

All kidding aside, it's a whole new ballgame smile.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 10:59 AM

It is a whole new game PB! And it used to be real!
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 12:35 PM

Haha john gotti wouldve let his own wife and kids get life in prison before he would allocate. Beanshooter, you seem to be forgeting about the commission trial when all the bosses admitted that the mafia existed in open court, it was apart of their defense strategy, funny thing is surely if any lower level guys had tried to pull a stunt like that back then, those same bosses probably wouldve labeled them a rat.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
Haha john gotti wouldve let his own wife and kids get life in prison before he would allocate. Beanshooter, you seem to be forgeting about the commission trial when all the bosses admitted that the mafia existed in open court, it was apart of their defense strategy, funny thing is surely if any lower level guys had tried to pull a stunt like that back then, those same bosses probably wouldve labeled them a rat.

They had no choice after Bonanno's book.
Posted By: pmac

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 01:18 PM

think the first well known boss to plead guilty was ray jr who if went to trial with his guys would have got 20+ yrs new laws hard time but was smart plead guilty took 7 yrs and sleeps well today very rich. the government was so pissed they tried to get him resentenced or soe shit saying the judge screwed up and didn't give him anuff time he also said he was part of a organization big word but not the word mafia some Gambino guys took more time cause they wouldn't say Gambino family at the plea deal hearing forgot who maybe skinny dom or the boss today and there was some genovee guy who wouldn't admit being in the mobforgot name he got more time too. the feds just like to watch them guys cringe.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 01:48 PM

What does Patriarca do nowadays?

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 02:08 PM

He's a pinsetter in the last non automated bowling alley in the United States.

No benefits. But he has weekends off, so he has that going for him.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 02:39 PM

Real estate

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/21/14 05:49 PM

No benefits?? Late capitalism is a bitch..

In all seriousness he was very lucky to only do 7 or 8 years. Good for him, I guess
Posted By: thebigfella

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/22/14 10:20 AM

People have misconception s about the mafia...The myth of the mafia is bigger than the mafia itself, the old timers copped pleas all the time...nobody in there right mind wants to stay in jail...later in meyer lansky's life he also pleaded guilty, and when his lawyer asked him why, he said something like...pay the fine and less get out of here, I don't want them snooping around

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/22/14 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: thebigfella
People have misconception s about the mafia...The myth of the mafia is bigger than the mafia itself, the old timers copped pleas all the time...nobody in there right mind wants to stay in jail...later in meyer lansky's life he also pleaded guilty, and when his lawyer asked him why, he said something like...pay the fine and less get out of here, I don't want them snooping around

That's different. We weren't talking about just pleading out. We were talking about allocuting to being a part of a Mafia family. And that was unheard of years ago.

But it's a different time. The Feds and prosecutors won't let most of those deals go forward today without that admission. So you really can't blame them. It's one of the things allowing them to survive today.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/22/14 10:39 AM

Everyone knows the mafia exists, anyway. So who cares?

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/22/14 10:43 AM

Everyone knows the mafia exists, anyway. So who cares?

No one. The mystique has been gone for quite some time now. So they may as well take advantage of whatever breaks the Feds are willing to give them.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/22/14 10:47 AM

But he has weekends off, so he has that going for him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pBWcRqPesws

(Big hitter the 'Lama.

Long.)

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/22/14 10:48 AM

Right... Even Johnny Sac did it!

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/22/14 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
But he has weekends off, so he has that going for him.

Big hitter the 'Lama.

Long.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pBWcRqPesws

You must have total consciousness, Sonny. Because you're the only one who got that smile.

Re: Genovese mobster Daniel Pagano bust - 08/22/14 10:56 AM

Lmao.

wink
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET