Home

Heists.

Posted By: Heist_man

Heists. - 06/15/14 10:52 AM

Ok so many of us have heard of heists happening. Ether through films or in real life but how many of a actually would preform one?
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 11:45 AM

Hey, a scores a score.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 12:09 PM

Yeah. I've been planning heists just for fun with no intent of carrying them out. But who knows.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 12:13 PM

For every big time heist like Lufthansa, there are a thousand smash and grabs committed by low level, drug addled mob associates just looking to make their nut every week.

A lot of parking meters down there in Florida lol.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 01:08 PM

I like the Swedish helicopter heist. And the gardner museum. And above all. The pink panthers.
Posted By: Hamilton

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Heist_man
Yeah. I've been planning heists just for fun with no intent of carrying them out. But who knows.

Well if anything looks promising send me a PM
Posted By: Italianheritage

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 02:09 PM

I am currently reading the book Cullotta by Dennis N. Griffin that's about Chicago and Vegas.

In the book various heists are described.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 03:43 PM

I read a non fiction book a few years back about a guy from Cleveland who was a master jewel thief who pulled off the most amazing jewel robberies in high rise condos ETC. He even robbed comedian Phyllis Diller's condo I think a couple times. I will try to find it and get the authors name and title of the book as it was one of those books you couldn't put down.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bigboy
I read a non fiction book a few years back about a guy from Cleveland who was a master jewel thief who pulled off the most amazing jewel robberies in high rise condos ETC. He even robbed comedian Phyllis Diller's condo I think a couple times. I will try to find it and get the authors name and title of the book as it was one of those books you couldn't put down.

That book sounds familiar.

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Master-Jewel-Thief-Mason/dp/0375760717

I did a search on google, and that book came up.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 04:56 PM

I've become an expert on master thieves. Art. Jewels. Artifacts. And the methods they used. It's been an obsession for 7 years. And I about tired of it just being an interest. Instead of a lifestyle.
Posted By: BigRed

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 05:18 PM

I've become an expert on master thieves. Art. Jewels. Artifacts. And the methods they used. It's been an obsession for 7 years. And I about tired of it just being an interest. Instead of a lifestyle.

I think you need a new hobby. Personally i play the guitar, piano, and banjo. But I also disc golf, mountain bike, cook, play pool and fish, which are all great as well. I think you need to get out of your own head a little bit and realize that you would be making a huge mistake by trying heists.

If money is an issue you can always try and work a side hustle in addition to your regular job. Won't get you rich, won't get you jailtime.

http://julliengordon.com/50-side-hustles-you-can-start-pretty-quickly-for-50-or-less

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/08/15/be-your-own-boss-37-side-hustle-ideas/

Trolling won't get you any money either.
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 05:18 PM

lol lol lol

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 05:25 PM

I smell a fugazy.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 05:32 PM

Oh, Christ. Here we go again rolleyes.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 05:38 PM

It's actually Fugazi. With an I at the end. Not a y. If you're going to use Italian make sure it's correct. And no I'm not fake. I'm just utilizing my freedom of speech.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 05:45 PM

Dats da way we spell it in jerzey. Ya stugots.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 05:50 PM

No one gives a rats ass about jersey. Except low limit gamblers and the guys that the jersey families owe money. They're the lowest earners in any family. (The guys from jersey.) And that's sad. The Atlanta guys and the Houston guys make more than jersey.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 05:51 PM

Aint dat da truph my brudda.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 05:57 PM

The Truth?.... Tell me why he should get a pass talking like that?
Posted By: SC

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: njcapo35
The Truth? Why don't he act like tommy in Goodfellas and go fuk his mother? Tell me why he should get a pass talking like that?

Don't take his bait.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: njcapo35
The Truth? Why don't he act like tommy in Goodfellas and go fuk his mother? Tell me why he should get a pass talking like that?

Don't take his bait.

Exactly. He's a troll, and he's probably been here before.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 06:00 PM

I'm sorry but he bit first!

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 06:09 PM

Ok. You know. There is a huge difference in a guy who's an actor and a guy who does. The guys who acts spend hours watching movies. Reading books. And articles about what interest them. And gain their knowledge from that. The guys who do learned from doing and spend years making sure they've lead people into believing that they know less about a subject then the people who act.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 06:17 PM

Ok. You know. There is a huge difference in a guy who's an actor and a guy who does. The guys who acts spend hours watching movies. Reading books. And articles about what interest them. And gain their knowledge from that. The guys who do learned from doing and spend years making sure they've lead people into believing that they know less about a subject then the people who act.

<yawn> Oh geez, a real doer. I believe your signature more than what else you write. In any event, stop the trolling.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce

I have had to look up some Italian-American slang words from seeing people on here write them, or hearing some on TV shows that I had never heard. Such as the term "gabagoul" for the salume Capocollo/Coppa/cappicola.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5fmz5XdGq4

I found this page: http://xeroth.wordpress.com/ which might be an interest to people here.

Posted By: Camarel

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 06:33 PM

I agree people like you just act like trolls, while for legends like Wilson it just comes naturally lol
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 07:06 PM

I walked out on the movie on the score because if this guy can say its just physics he could be making decent money without being a thief.

Like Pizza said a score to me is steal a truck crash through the doors of king plaza just before the movie ended at 11 pm. All the stores are closed then he crashes the truck into a jewelry store take what you can get. Then drive out then set fire to the truck.

That is a score in my eyes.

Harder to do now because since 9/11 they got those obstacles in front of the doors and no more movie theather smile

If no changes it would have been hit again.

It's like when you rob someone apartment near the roof. You escape over the roof. If you walk out with money you would definately rob the place again.

When they throw down the tenements. People were moving out.

You can go into an empty apartment with a sledge. Go throw the wall and have all day to clean out the apartment. You could even park a truck outside the building. People thing your just a moving van taking stuff out for a move.

Or you can high jack a truck full of ice cream. Go up to black Harlem and sell the ice cream at a discount. Same with a fruit truck.

Some people think it is a lot of fun to steal.

How about stealing Ann millers tap shoes out of her car before she came out with her new ones. She bought the original 50 years ago. They were supposed to go to the smithsonian. But took a detour you can get 50 thousand easy from a collector

Or steal a real tratovvarios violin.

Or robbing an armoured car because they made the mistake off parking it in a food loading dock up on a ramp. Where only delivery guys go.

Then a few months later you see the same truck parked on the street not up on a loading dock any more.

Or stealing Cadys from a shopping center parking lot. Then the car winds up in some foreign country.

I saw one brilliant robbery where some knuckle head wants to steal an A&P super market safe that is 9 ft high. He steals a truck puts a pulley on it crashes it through the store window attached chains to the safe. He had no idea on how heavy one of those safes are. He cant get it out and had to leave the truck with the chains attached to the safe. Cops had his finger prints on the truck. Can't remember how much time gphe got in the can for that one.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 08:26 PM

Ideally. I'd go for nothing less than 100k. Work with a team. Not alone. Set up for a job and give yourself a timer. 60-120 seconds tops. Private residence/ commercial alarms give you a full minute of normal beeping(to allow the tenant time to disarm) before any alert is triggered. High end alarms give you the same amount of time but send a silent warning to local police that a robbery might be in action. If disarmed they send another update saying it was a false alarm. Reguardless. At any moment cops can be there within 4-10 minutes. If you set up for 60-120 you can make your getaway with enough time to stay out of the suspicion arena. Now another thing with these alarms is that if you pick the lock instead of giving it the knock down. High end alarms won't send any notices because they can sense whether the lock is being turned or not. Best ways to escape are through non descript avenues. Sewage tunnels. Mopeds or motorcycle if there is traffic. And lastly have a drop point where you can quickly ditch item and come back for it after once heat has died down.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 08:38 PM

Nice
Posted By: BigRed

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:07 PM

The Atlanta guys and the Houston guys make more than jersey.

Sounds like you may know something that isn't usually talked about on here. Who are these Houston and Atlanta guys?

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: BigRed
The Atlanta guys and the Houston guys make more than jersey.

Sounds like you may know something that isn't usually talked about on here. Who are these Houston and Atlanta guys?

lol

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:18 PM

A lot of guys in a robbery gives you a great chance of getting caught. Unless you grew up together and your friends are like your family other wise and even then.

I am glad you don't have a paranoid nature. If you did you would think some one will rat even if they don't. It doesn't really matter you would be forced to do something any way. If you like to think a head and are a paranoid. Who is stupid enough to be a partner with you. If they are they deserve what ever happens to them.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:18 PM

Really, don't encourage him.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:21 PM

Not saying.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:25 PM

4 guys. No more than that. And I'm not paranoid. I'm just willing to do what needs to be done.
Posted By: Garbageman

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:38 PM

I've been listening to my neighbor's dog more than usual. I'm beginning to understand what he is saying. At the same time, I seem to have a fancy for a .45
I think I'll get one soon. Summer's here. I am someone's sun,or am I a son?
Posted By: mbo

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:38 PM

why dont you get a real fucking job, stop trolling and dont glorify stealing other peoples hard earned money

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:44 PM

I had two dogs over my house today. They are both a lot alike they never Bark. You can trust them not to bark. One was cookie and one was olive.

I had a dog a beagle his name was Ralph or was rulf. He was always barking. One day I took it to the ASPCA made a donation and told them to put him to sleep to stop his fucking barking. After that he became a good dog who I could trust not to bark.

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Garbageman
I've been listening to my neighbor's dog more than usual. I'm beginning to understand what he is saying. At the same time, I seem to have a fancy for a .45
I think I'll get one soon. Summer's here. I am someone's sun,or am I a son?

Shouldn't that be a .44??

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 09:51 PM

Yes he is still alive at least I think he is still alive. If anyone should be dead it's him. I seem to remember he actually taunts his victims surviving family members.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 10:04 PM

ya I pulled a big one the other day

my gf drove me over to the health clinic and i ran in and grabbed two handfuls of condoms and ran out.

got away clean go figure....

Re: Heists. - 06/15/14 11:07 PM

Not taking other people hard money. taking insured objects where they gain 2x what it's worth. Who's really losing in this situation? No one.
Posted By: SgWaue86

Re: Heists. - 06/16/14 12:46 AM

Gotti is that you. Man some of the outlandish shit said in Heist Man's post is a dead ringer for Gotti.
Posted By: EricKumerow

Re: Heists. - 06/16/14 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce

LOL, I haven't heard stugots in decades. Back when I lived at home.

Re: Heists. - 06/16/14 11:09 AM

Not taking other people hard money. taking insured objects where they gain 2x what it's worth. Who's really losing in this situation? No one.

A thief,that doesn't really want to steal other peoples money?

I have to think about that smile

I collect watches from every where. 20 percent of my watches have other peoples names on the watch case.

My fantasy is finding Obama without his secret servive, and taking his money off him. In front of his wife and kids.
Posted By: EricKumerow

Re: Heists. - 06/16/14 11:09 AM

It's actually Fugazi. With an I at the end. Not a y. If you're going to use Italian make sure it's correct. And no I'm not fake. I'm just utilizing my freedom of speech.

And I suggest you learn how to pick a lock (every kind) in < 15 seconds b4 you pull your first "heist" Mr. Fugazi.

Re: Heists. - 06/16/14 11:12 AM

This is the dumbest fucking thread ever. And that's really saying something rolleyes.

Re: Heists. - 06/16/14 11:23 AM

My kids know I collect watches. I don't like when they buy ones for me. But my daughter just got me one for fathers day. She did not even know my wrist size. So I have to take it my jeweler to fix that if I was going to wear it. I never even heard of the brand name. It's an automatic I don't like automatics in watches.

To top it off it has a white hour and minute hand against a white back ground. I Can't read it because of that. But it does have my name on the back.

I once told my wife I don't want my watches sold at an estate sale. I told her just throw them in a hole with me.

My last wish is to be buried next to my soccer field that over looks the beautiful Verranzano bridge . It s illegal, but I have guys that will do it in the middle of the night.

I was not going to miss any soccer game just because I am dead

Re: Heists. - 06/16/14 11:29 AM

See I don't really hate that fucking game.
Posted By: cheech

Re: Heists. - 06/16/14 02:16 PM

watching footreads talk to himself might make this the best thread ever
Posted By: Marbala

Re: Heists. - 07/03/14 10:53 AM

Closest soccer field to the Verranzano bridge is at dyker park, and only mexicans played there. We used to roll block busters in glue and dip them in BB's to make the games more interesting. These guys talk about doing scores and what not, your funny pretty sure you never busted a grape

Re: Heists. - 07/03/14 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Marbala
These guys talk about doing scores and what not, your funny pretty sure you never busted a grape

Then what are you doing here?

Look, these sites are LOADED with kids. And wannabes. And mob apologists. And some plain old trolls. But there are also some good and informed people here as well.

If you learn to take the good posters with the bad, you won't get aggravated as much. Because calling people out and looking for trouble will only get you booted here. This is one of the tamer sites, with good, no-nonsense moderators. Just enjoy the site smile.
Posted By: pmac

Re: Heists. - 07/03/14 11:37 AM

Up here round my way there was the worcetser art museum heist the 3 goons got away with a Rembrandt and some other faoumous shit. This was the first art heist using a gun. They shot the guard in the leg. Its 1971 and these guys didn't no who to sell the arts to. They got caught in acouple weeks there's a good long article Boston.com. I see 1 of the guys around. Guess the big mob guys had no use for stolen art the fbi wants back asap. They.found some in a pig farm down Rhode island. Its a good story.

Re: Heists. - 07/03/14 11:50 AM

Closest soccer field to the Verranzano bridge is at dyker park, and only mexicans played there. We used to roll block busters in glue and dip them in BB's to make the games more interesting. These guys talk about doing scores and what not, your funny pretty sure you never busted a grape

Verranzano sports complex On shore parkway
Posted By: blacksheep

Re: Heists. - 07/03/14 10:44 PM

Ok I have been reading through this. I don't want to start any friction on my first posts, but is this thread actually serious or is this heist guy making jokes? I don't want to come off as an asshole but this is almost painful. Someone seems to be living out their fantasies here. I guess better here online than out there in the real world

Re: Heists. - 07/04/14 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
These guys talk about doing scores and what not, your funny pretty sure you never busted a grape

Then what are you doing here?

Look, these sites are LOADED with kids. And wannabes. And mob apologists. And some plain old trolls. But there are also some good and informed people here as well.

If you learn to take the good posters with the bad, you won't get aggravated as much. Because calling people out and looking for trouble will only get you booted here. This is one of the tamer sites, with good, no-nonsense moderators. Just enjoy the site smile.

Touché my friend
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: Heists. - 07/10/14 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: pmac
Up here round my way there was the worcetser art museum heist the 3 goons got away with a Rembrandt and some other faoumous shit. This was the first art heist using a gun. They shot the guard in the leg. Its 1971 and these guys didn't no who to sell the arts to. They got caught in acouple weeks there's a good long article Boston.com. I see 1 of the guys around. Guess the big mob guys had no use for stolen art the fbi wants back asap. They.found some in a pig farm down Rhode island. Its a good story.

I always wondered about that myself. If they steal super expensive stuff like art or very expensive jewels, how do they sell them? Things that most people use and can afford, electronics, car parts, average jewelry, clothes, that is easy to sell. But if they steal some world famous painting, you can't just stand on a street corner saying, "Hey buddy, want to buy a Rembrandt".

Re: Heists. - 07/10/14 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Fleming_Ave
But if they steal some world famous painting, you can't just stand on a street corner saying, "Hey buddy, want to buy a Rembrandt".

Please. Most wiseguys I've known think a Rembrandt is a disposable razor.

Re: Heists. - 07/10/14 10:38 AM

Not just wiseguys, most people in general. That's kind of my point, how would you sell famous art if you did manage to steal it. Probably better off stealing disposable razors.

Re: Heists. - 07/10/14 10:44 AM

Not just wiseguys, most people in general. That's kind of my point, how would you sell famous art if you did manage to steal it. Probably better off stealing disposable razors.

I think there might be a market for it. But they wouldn't know where to find it.

It would have to be a rich eccentric who wanted the piece just for his own pleasure and didn't feel the need to show it off (because he couldn't). But wiseguys and rich eccentrics rarely cross paths.

Re: Heists. - 07/11/14 01:48 AM

What you see in movies and what really goes on are two different things. Hollywood gets a few tidbits and turn it into a big to do. Use that A&P for example let's put try it a little different outside of Hollywood. Stores closes 3-4 guys a scanner and a couple of radios if your really just a starter crew maybe you opted for a simple car horn instead of a radio. 1 guy stays outside and monitors the perimeter for random patrolling cops and keeps his ears on the scanner. The other guys bypass the alarm enter the building thru a back door. They find the safe and cut it open with a K-12 saw and a diamond carbide blade. Bring an extra blade & rubber belt it the event either break. That's it no swinging from the ceiling or using Semtex.
Posted By: abc123

Re: Heists. - 07/11/14 09:25 AM

I think there might be a market for it. But they wouldn't know where to find it.

It would have to be a rich eccentric who wanted the piece just for his own pleasure and didn't feel the need to show it off (because he couldn't). But wiseguys and rich eccentrics rarely cross paths.

A number of posts on this thread touched on it, a lot of the time a ransom payment by insurance companies is paid over to the gang,

It is less money to pay out over all,the owner would have got A LOT MORE of insurance companies.

Re: Heists. - 07/11/14 09:33 AM

http://www.ivanfoster.net/pdf/Oct0502.pdf

Northern Bank robbery.

The Northern Bank robbery was a large robbery of cash from the Donegall Square West headquarters of Northern Bank in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Carried out on 20 December 2004, the gang seized the equivalent of £26.5 million in pounds sterling and small amounts of other currencies, largely euros and US$s. This makes it one of the largest bank robberies in UK history. Although the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) and the British and Irish governments claimed the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) was responsible (or had permitted others to undertake the raid), this is denied by the Provisional IRA and the political party Sinn Féin. Although one person has been convicted of money laundering, the investigation is still ongoing, and the case remains unsolved.

Re: Heists. - 07/11/14 09:35 AM

Originally Posted By: abc123
A number of posts on this thread touched on it, a lot of the time a ransom payment by insurance companies is paid over to the gang,

Of course. These big insurance outfits have entire divisions dedicated to that kind of thing. And they're often ex-cons themselves.

Re: Heists. - 07/11/14 09:36 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Bank_of_Ireland_robbery

2009 Bank of Ireland robbery.

The 2009 Bank of Ireland robbery was a large robbery of cash from the College Green cash centre of the Bank of Ireland in Dublin, Republic of Ireland, on 27 February 2009. It was the largest bank robbery in the Republic of Ireland's history. Criminals engaged in the tiger kidnapping of a junior bank employee, 24-year-old Shane Travers, and forced him to remove €7.6 million (US$9 million)[1] in cash from the bank as his girlfriend and two others were held hostage.[2]

Ireland's Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, Dermot Ahern, criticised the bank for its failure to follow what he termed "established protocols" during the robbery, as the Irish police force, the Garda Síochána, was not informed of the incident until the money had been removed from the bank. A manhunt is under way for the perpetrators, with seven people being arrested and €1.8 million of the stolen cash located, scattered across Dublin, on 28 February

Re: Heists. - 07/11/14 09:38 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securitas_depot_robbery

Securitas depot robbery.

The Securitas depot robbery was the largest cash robbery in British history. It took place on the evening of 21 February 2006 from 18:30 GMT until the early hours of 22 February 2006. Several men abducted and threatened the family of the manager, tied up fourteen staff members and stole £53,116,760[1][2] in bank notes from a Securitas Cash Management Ltd depot in Vale Road, Tonbridge, Kent.

Re: Heists. - 07/11/14 09:42 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Alfred_Beit,_2nd_Baronet

Art thefts

In 1974, an IRA gang led by Rose Dugdale broke into Russborough House, making off with nineteen paintings, including a Goya, a Vermeer and a Gainsborough.[5] The stolen paintings were notionally valued at more than IR£8 million.[6] In the process, the Beits, though elderly, were pistol-whipped, tied up and pushed down a flight of stone stairs. The IRA intended to hold the paintings to ransom in exchange for the transfer of Dolours Price and Marian Price, IRA members who had been convicted of car-bombings in England. All the stolen paintings were recovered in County Cork a few weeks later.[7]

In 1986, the house was robbed again, this time by the Dublin criminal Martin Cahill (known in the tabloid media as "The General"). Cahill and his gang stole 18 paintings notionally valued at IR£30 million, all but two of which were recovered in police operations in Britain, Belgium and Turkey.[6][7]

In 2001, two more paintings (a Bellotto and a Gainsborough) were stolen in another robbery. Both were recovered in 2002.[7] In 2002, another robbery took five paintings, including two Rubens.[7]

A sad but necessary outcome of the thefts was that the Irish state had to move the unique collection to Dublin, making Russborough less attractive to tourists.

Re: Heists. - 07/11/14 04:31 PM

It is less money to pay out over all,the owner would have got A LOT MORE of insurance companies.

That makes sense, I get it now, thanks ABC.

Re: Heists. - 07/11/14 04:38 PM

I found an article on that here. http://blogs.artinfo.com/secrethistoryofart/2012/10/16/rotterdam-art-heist-likely-for-ransom/ Alright guys, when do we knock over this place? http://www.louvre.fr/en Just kidding! lol

Re: Heists. - 07/12/14 11:25 AM

Of course. These big insurance outfits have entire divisions dedicated to that kind of thing. And they're often ex-cons themselves.

Private detective agency, is the way insurance companies go to gang-people and make an offer, its all about financial figures.

Insurance companies just want the stuff back so they do not pay out more money to the owner.

Re: Heists. - 07/14/14 12:31 PM

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0714/630690-art-heist/

Four Romanians behind a spectacular art heist in the Netherlands have been ordered to pay over €18m, with the fate of the stolen masterpieces by Picasso, Monet and Gauguin still a mystery.

Seven masterpieces temporarily on display at the Kunsthal Museum in Rotterdam were stolen in 2012 in a raid that lasted only three minutes, in what the Dutch media called "the theft of the century".

A court in the Romanian capital ordered the heist's mastermind Radu Dogaru, his mother Olga, Eugen Darie and Adrian Procop to reimburse the museum's insurance company.

"We will contest the ruling," Catalin Dancu, the Dogarus' lawyer, told AFP.

"In the first place, we don't believe the stolen paintings were the originals and secondly it is up to the museum to pay because it took the stupid risk of displaying the artwork without a proper surveillance system," he added.

Among the paintings estimated to be worth €18.1m were works by Picasso, Gauguin and Monet that belonged to the Triton Foundation.
None of them was equipped with an alarm.

The canvases were transported to Romania hidden in pillowcases and prosecutors think they were destroyed after a failed attempt to sell them.

Olga Dogaru told investigators she burned the paintings in her stove in the sleepy village of Carcaliu in eastern Romania, seeking to destroy evidence against her son.

She later retracted the statement but a separate investigation is under way to determine if the masterpieces did end up in ashes.

Radu Dogaru, 30, who admitted planning the heist, was sentenced to six years in jail in February, and his accomplice Darie to five years and four months in jail.

Procop was handed a jail sentence of four years and eight months while Dogaru's mother jailed for two years.
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Heists. - 07/14/14 12:52 PM

A question: is my impression correct or not, that the mafia was often involved in heists mostly just at the beginning of the century? It seems to me that robberies and thefts are more typical of relatively small-time criminals, while racketeers and mafiosi prefer semi-legal methods like extortion which can make more money anyway and is harder to prove, since the victim can always say "it was a completely voluntarily contribution to my business partner".
For example, in Sicily the zones with a large number of thefts are considered ones with weak mafia influence, while robberies were often committed by the Stidda but rarely by Cosa Nostra, as far as I know.
Of course, there were exceptions in later years, like the Lufthansa robbery, when it was especially lucrative.
Posted By: Snakes

Re: Heists. - 07/14/14 12:59 PM

The mob will bankroll certain heists if they are financially worth it. More often, they will (or did) take a tribute or cut for any heists happening in their area.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET