Home

George Jung released from prison after 20yrs

Posted By: njcapo35

George Jung released from prison after 20yrs - 06/02/14 11:33 PM

George Jung (aka Boston George), 71, has been released from prison after serving almost two decades in jail for drug smuggling and trafficking. His story was told in the 2001 biopic, Blow, starring Johnny Depp.

Jung began his "criminal life" during the 1960s, smuggling marijuana on domestic flights from California to Massachusetts. Business was going well until he was arrested in Chicago with marijuana in his trunk. He was sentenced to federal prison in Danbury, Connecticut, where he began making connections in cocaine trafficking.
He trafficked cocaine for Pablo Escobar and his Medellin cartel for more than decade before he was arrested in 2004 and sent to federal prisons in New York, Texas, and New Jersey (where he was released). He is said to have been responsible for roughly of 85 percent of the cocaine imported into the US in the '70s and '80s.
His time in prison was cut short by almost 20 years after he agreed to be a witness against his ex-partner Carlos Lehder. He was originally expected to be released in November of this year, but was released early for reasons not yet known.
Jung is being released to a half-way home on the West Coast "where he'll receive help transitioning back into society."
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: George Jung released from prison after 20yrs - 06/03/14 01:36 PM

Anyway, may the wind always be at your back, and the sun always upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: George Jung released from prison after 20yrs - 06/03/14 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Anyway, may the wind always be at your back, and the sun always upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.

That's Irish. I thought you were Limey, DeNiro lol.
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: George Jung released from prison after 20yrs - 06/03/14 02:00 PM

Wow tha'ts really interesting, I never thought they would let him out. Is it true that his daughter completely disowned him? I guess I'll put "Blow" on the tube tonight in remembrance of Boston George
Posted By: afriendofours

Re: George Jung released from prison after 20yrs - 06/03/14 02:13 PM

About time in my opinion, there are murderers who get less time than he did.

Was what he did illegal sure, morally wrong possibly, but no one forces you to do drugs. He simply supplied a commodity.

That's always something that bothered me about drug use and the lack of taking personal responsibility some take, when its illegal drugs its the peddlers and dealers who are the menace.

When its alcohol, its not the shops that sell it who are the menace its the alcohol itself.

Maybe that's a skewed way of looking at things, but as someone who was once addicted to both alcohol and drugs, i can say it was only myself that was to blame, rather than looking to point the fingers at the shops or dealers.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: George Jung released from prison after 20yrs - 06/03/14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO

That's Irish. I thought you were Limey, DeNiro lol.

That quote is taken from the end of the film Blow, great film..
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: George Jung released from prison after 20yrs - 06/04/14 02:17 PM

Yep I agree you get more time for drugs than killing someone these days.

Boston George is lucky to be alive though, he was mixed in with the wrong crowd in those days. Between Pablo and Lehder he was lucky he didn't end up dead eventually. Lehder was much more dangerous than people realize.
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: George Jung released from prison after 20yrs - 06/04/14 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: afriendofours
About time in my opinion, there are murderers who get less time than he did.

Was what he did illegal sure, morally wrong possibly, but no one forces you to do drugs. He simply supplied a commodity.

That's always something that bothered me about drug use and the lack of taking personal responsibility some take, when its illegal drugs its the peddlers and dealers who are the menace.

When its alcohol, its not the shops that sell it who are the menace its the alcohol itself.

Maybe that's a skewed way of looking at things, but as someone who was once addicted to both alcohol and drugs, i can say it was only myself that was to blame, rather than looking to point the fingers at the shops or dealers.

the violence associated with drug dealing is the difference.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: George Jung released from prison after 20yrs - 07/06/21 12:07 AM

I just found out Jung died on May 5.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET