Home

Canarsie Brooklyn

Posted By: Belmont

Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:33 AM

We all assume Roy DeMeo was the only mob guy with any notoriety but Nicky Corozzo was from there as well.
Posted By: alexandarns

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 01:11 PM

I thought nicky corozzo was from ocean hill,only had a crew in l street of canarsie..maybe jojo his brother is from canarsie
Posted By: GaryH

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 05:26 PM

Demeo's men were mostly from Canarsie but HE was originally from Bath Beach and the Gemini was in Flatlands.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: GaryH
Demeo's men were mostly from Canarsie but HE was originally from Bath Beach and the Gemini was in Flatlands.

Roy was actually from Northumberland England grin.
Posted By: GaryH

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: GaryH

Roy was actually from Northumberland England grin.

So THATS why Hadrian's Wall is mostly gone.
Roy sold it to a corrupt middle eastern businessman! lol
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 06:29 PM

How close was Bobby Amuso's Walnut Bar in proximity to The Gemini Lounge?

Didn't Vic, Gotti and Massino all live relatively near each other?
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 07:25 PM

yep, they all lived in Howard beach for a time.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:01 PM

i thought roy was from flatlandsit says that the guy who owned phils lounge that later became gemmini lounge was his childhood friend..he was actualy well of grownig up,evan finished highschool..not many mobsters do:)i reads in wikipedia that he was from bath beach,but i dont think so.je wnt to madison highschool that was close to flatlands in sheephead bay..and the walnut bar was acctually on the e92nd st and flatlands ave..so it was like 10 miutes from the gemmini lounge,and down the road was geffkins bar which paul vario used as his hangout..and 8810 ave d was the social club owned by bruno facciolo a lucchese gangster..all that not to forget the bamboo lounge at 1931 rockaway parkway..all in canarsie,lot of action..lot of action smile

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: alexandarns
all in canarsie,lot of action..lot of action smile

I told you that the day you signed up. But did you listen? tongue grin

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:15 PM

YES YOU DID wink but i was acctualy talking before the 70,because this was all in the 70s,you know..but how can know that,lot more secret back than :)I also read that nicky corozzo had a social club on ave L,read it in andrew didonato s book..you know any more bars or social clubs over there?

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:21 PM

but how can know that,lot more secret back than

The bosses were secretive, but the lifestyle itself was right out in the open. The knockaround guys in New York tended to flaunt it back then. And if you walked into a mob-connected bar or restaurant back then, you knew about it in about three seconds. Trust me on that.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:28 PM

no i meant,the public dosent know about the social clubs pre 70s in that area..the public being me and wide audiance..if you lived there u probably know..thats what i meant :)what was the best known mob social club or bar in your neighbourhood in the bronx?was it chez pipis like in bronx tale wink

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:34 PM

no i meant,the public dosent know about the social clubs pre 70s in that area..the public being me and wide audiance..if you lived there u probably know..thats what i meant :)what was the best known mob social club or bar in your neighbourhood in the bronx?was it chez pipis like in bronx tale wink

The Chez Bippy was only in the movie, son lol.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:39 PM

you didint get my wink? grin

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:41 PM

smile

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:49 PM

whay dont u answer my q??

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 10:55 PM

what was the best known mob social club or bar in your neighbourhood in the bronx?

whay dont u answer my q??

Because it's too broad. I grew up in the Belmont section of the Bronx in the '60s and '70s. It was depicted perfectly in "A Bronx Tale." Wiseguys were everywhere. There were over a dozen social clubs from Fordham to 183rd to Southern Boulevard to Arthur Avenue.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 11:00 PM

ok so give me one name i could possibly know from that time,from the 60s and 70s?a gambino capo or genovese capo?there cant be 20 capos in belmont.u can tell me that?

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 11:06 PM

Back then Frankie LoCasio ran his Gambino Crew out of Morris Park. But his brother had a club near the zoo, so he was around Arthur Avenue all the time.

As far as the Genovese guys, Larry Black Centore ran his crew out of Belmont.

Now stop asking so many fucking questions lol.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 11:21 PM

Larry Black Centore never heard of him,but i belive when you say that the neighbourhood was conectted..hope ur joking cus thats just rude..anyway loved the movie bronx tale..i have lived in brookly for a little while during the war in yugoslavia in the 90s.you shoud see the gangsters over there,practicly run the whole state.do everythig from drugs to killing prime ministers in 2003,now thats 21 century not 1963..go figure grin wink the state is serbia.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 11:25 PM

Larry Black Centore never heard of him,but i belive when you say that the neighbourhood was conectted..hope ur joking cus thats just rude..anyway loved the movie bronx tale..i have lived in brookly for a little while during the war in yugoslavia in the 90s.you shoud see the gangsters over there,practicly run the whole state.do everythig from drugs to killing prime ministers in 2003,now thats 21 century not 1963..go figure grin wink the state is serbia.

Of course I'm joking. Didn't you see the lol smiley? lol

Are you a Serb?

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 11:31 PM

yes i am serbian,my father is orthodox serb my mother is italian from sorrento..they met in ny when my father was working there,she is from bensonhurst..78th street smile

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 11:32 PM

yes i am serbian,my father is orthodox serb my mother is italian from sorrento..they met in ny when my father was working there,she is from bensonhurst..78th street smile

Not too many Serbs here in the Bronx. But a shitload of Albanians lol.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 11:41 PM

yeah how u feel about them?not much liked there in serbia ohwell

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 11:48 PM

yeah how u feel about them?not much liked there in serbia ohwell

They're okay. And to tell you the truth, they've started to assimilate well themselves.

Many of the Italian neighborhoods (like Belmont and Pelham Parkway) became Albanian when the Italians moved up to the suburbs. And now that the Albanians are starting to move to the suburbs, those neighborhoods are quickly becoming mixed Latino.

But the Albanians are smart. Even though they're moving out, they bought a lot of the apartment buildings. There are a lot of Albanian landlords in the Bronx today. I make my living in property management today, so I do some business with them. I actually have an Albanian partner in one of my buildings. He's a real good guy. But some of them ARE crazy lol.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 05/31/14 11:56 PM

yeah they are smart no doubt,pretty tough and loyal,at least the ones that are ther in kosovo and serbia..not to educated dou,kosovo is the poorest province in europe,but crime is highest in europe..:) my mother said that when she came to serbia and saw them she thought that they were like sicilins..looked like them and acted like them whatever that means :)i dont know about those in the bronx..she abot your age 1960 in january
Posted By: StLguy

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:03 AM

"Many of the Italian neighborhoods (like Belmont and Pelham Parkway) became Albanian when the Italians moved up to the suburbs. And now that the Albanians are starting to move to the suburbs, those neighborhoods are quickly becoming mixed Latino. "

I believe that a significant portion of Sicily is descended from Albanian refugees from the Ottomans. They speak a unique but (I think) dying dialect of Albanian. Sort of like the griko people in Calabria with their dialect of Greek. Do you happen to know anyone with the last name Albanese? I believe one of the first American mafiosi (or camorristi?) from New Orelans was named Albanese.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: StLguy
I believe that a significant portion of Sicily is descended from Albanian refugees from the Ottomans. They speak a unique but (I think) dying dialect of Albanian. Sort of like the griko people in Calabria with their dialect of Greek. Do you happen to know anyone with the last name Albanese? I believe one of the first American mafiosi (or camorristi?) from New Orelans was named Albanese.

The Arbëreshë Albanians are all over Southern Italy, from Basilicata all the way through Calabria, and off the mainland into Sicily. We've discussed them at length here in the past, but I don't have the patience to look for the thread smile.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:07 AM

Regis Philbin's mother was of Arbëreshë descent.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:08 AM

yeah there was a guy in ny albanese,recent like in the 70s i think..colombos i think i dont know for sure..u albanian?
Posted By: SC

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:14 AM

yeah there was a guy in ny albanese,

Shouldn't that be Albany, NY? whistle

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
yeah there was a guy in ny albanese,

Shouldn't that be Albany, NY? whistle

The wiseguys up there are schenected.

See what I did there? Schenectady? Connected guys?

Hey, it's no worse than SC's joke lol.
Posted By: SC

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:20 AM

Hey, it's no worse than SC's joke.

clap and <groan> at the same time.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:21 AM

hehehe thats right,i see what u did right there..top notch comedy wink

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: SC

Hey, it's no worse than SC's joke.

clap and <groan> at the same time.

I was groaning even as I typed it. And speaking of your new neck of the woods, SC. These jokes would be bad even by Grossinger's standards lol.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:32 AM

grin grin grin
pizzaboy where your parents from in italy?
Posted By: StLguy

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:34 AM

"u albanian?"

No. I've just read a small bit about the subject.

However, on a tangent of a tangent, there are a lot of people from Bosnia in my city. I have no doubt that a number of them are Serbs. Do you think that the gap between Croats, Bosnians, and Serbs is really that large if you discount religion and alphabetical systems used?

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:39 AM

grin grin grin
pizzaboy where your parents from in italy?

My grandparents.

My Mom's parents were from Matera, Basilicata. My Dad's parents were from Lauropoli, Cosenza, Calabria. I've traveled to both towns, and spent quite a bit of time in Cosenza. But we haven't been back in quite awhile. Hopefully later this year or early next year. My Dad is almost 85 now, so I want him to see it all again.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:44 AM

thats a good q..no i dont think so,but the nationalist would disagre..we are people living side by side for thousand of years,have the same lango same values and everything..how can there be a difrence when you grow up in a house next to someone who is a croat,speks your lango..if he never says you will not know he is a croat or a muslim..that has been a debate for a long time..that war would not happen if it was in some other place in the world,but balkan i crazy,reagl tough and brutal,non forgiving...like the movie says land of blood of honey,jolie used that line last year but it is used for hundreds of years..if u dot live here u cant understand it..i think it is the west that made us fight ich other,and we only neded a little spark..what can i tell u it is sweet but bloody red wink

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 12:58 AM

thats real nice pizzaboy,i remeber how my mother felt when we went to napoli,so am sure ur dad appretiates it..very beutifull south italy is,never been to your ancestors place,but sorrento very nice..her father actualy never made it there back to italy,born in bk..wish u a grat trip smile
Posted By: Iceman999

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 07:32 PM

Does anybody know where the Pantry Pride Meat Market used to be?

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Iceman999

Pantry Pride was a small chain here in New York. So you'd have to be more specific.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/01/14 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Iceman999

Pantry Pride was a small chain here in New York. So you'd have to be more specific.

The one the DeMeo crew "disposed" of Andrei Katz's body at.

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/02/14 07:26 AM

Somewhere in queens,i dont know the real address..i think i corona queens..andrei katz acctualy worked for roy,dealing cocaine and choping cars..i talked with a guy from canarsie,who grew up with joy testa brother,hi had a lot a brothers..he said that roy was working real tight with james burke the goidfela,and was a regular at bamboo aswall..he fenced stolen staff for them to at the gemini...and i dont know if this is known,before henry hill fliped he was gonna get cut up at the gemini by roy as a favor to jimmy burke but he escaped...i watched a clip where henry hill said that..even that guy frenchi mcmahon the guy who was the security guard at jfk,the guy who get them a key...he and another guy were found a block down from the gemini

Re: Canarsie Brooklyn - 06/03/14 09:16 PM

Didn't know about the connection to Burke. Thanks for the heads up.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET