Home

Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians?

Posted By: cornuto_e_contento

Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 02:31 PM

Why do mainland Northern and Southern Italians hate Sicilians?

I have been reading in biographies about Southern mainland Italian businessmen who had a heritage that is from either Calabria or Campania, or Naples, and even a lot further north such as Venice and Tuscany where they said that Sicilians are "bad", "dirty", "not to be trusted", "not like us", or other nonsense that's bigoted and they would hurt or kill people who were Sicilian.

I have been told by Italian friends that mainland Italians from both the North, Central, and South on the mainland of Italy do not like Sicilians. Why is that?

To me as someone who is Hispanic it is puzzling since we do not hate other people from different countries who are also Hispanic. We just find the slang terms for words used in other countries to be different or odd but it's not hate, bigotry, or prejudice for people in those other countries. In Mexico if we want to say something is cool in slang we will say "Que padre!" but in other Latin American countries they say, "Que chévere!" in Spain they have a slang term for cool that is very offensive and I will not write it here.

I found the below link which I copied the text of into this thread.

http://www.usaonrace.com/sticky-wicket-questions/2313/why-are-italians-prejudiced-against-sicilians

Why do Italians appear to be prejudiced against Sicilians?

~Puzzled in Poughkeepsie

Dear Puzzled,

It is puzzling, isn’t it? Most Americans consider Sicilians to be Italians, so how can prejudice exist between people who live in different regions of the same country? Although this prejudice is considered by many to be more historical than contemporary, you will find that an ample number of Sicilian families who believe it still exists.

As a Sicilian-American woman in my mid-50’s, I can remember my grandmother’s childhood warning to me to always say I was Italian, not Sicilian, because if others knew I was Sicilian they would be mean to me. She based her instruction on the fact that the Italian women in our neighborhood wouldn’t eat the food she prepared for the parish potlucks because they believed that Sicilians were dirty, and food cooked in their kitchens was somehow contaminated. The memories of her warnings flooded back to me in 1996 when I made a batch of Sicilian fried green tomatoes for a neighbor man who had helped my husband change a flat tire soon after we moved into an ethnic neighborhood in Akron, Ohio. The man’s wife turned me away at the door, letting me know that Mr. Scarpetti would not like anything that I cooked.

There are a number of reasons that Italians might feel they are superior to Sicilians. Sicily has been an impoverished region since being robbed of its National Treasury in 1860 when it was occupied by the Italian Army. During the occupation, the factories of the region were disassembled and relocated to Northern Italy. Without a manufacturing base, the island was forced of olives, lemons, almonds, oranges, and grapes for economic survival.

Unfortunately, due to erupting volcanoes many of the regions crops were buried under lava, thereby forcing a wave of immigration to America.

Along with poverty, the heritage of Sicilians also assaulted their reputation. In 831 AD the Moors, dark-skinned Arabs, entered and dominated Palermo, and other major cities on the island. The Moorish reign lasted for 230 years. During that time there was much racial mixing that occurred. As a result, Northern Italians tend to look upon Sicilians as people of color.

If being perceived as poor, dirty, and being treated inferior because of race isn’t enough, Sicilians are also suspected of being criminals. La Cosa Nostra, or the Mafia, was born in Palermo in the mid 19th Century. Still today, some areas of Sicily are not under the full control of the legal government, but are run by the Mafia. The belief that all Sicilian families, whether they live in the U.S. or in their native land, must be in some way related to the mob, continues to live on in the thinking of some.

During the early 1900s, a wave of Italian and Sicilian immigrants entered the U.S. There was a cost to admission though, because the immigrant had to declare the amount of money they were bringing with them into the country. Those without funds were turned away. The average Northern Italian’s declaration was $23.53 while Sicilian’s averaged only $8.67. Those without funds were known to attempt to sneak into the country without proper documentation.

Immigrants without papers became known by their initials “WOP.” The terms Wop, Dago (refers to dirty), and Guinea (derived from “Guinea Negro”) were labels assigned to Sicilians because of their dark complexion by those who considered themselves to be Anglos, such as Northern Italians. Most recently, with the advent of the television show Jersey Shore, other ethnic slurs for both Italians and Sicilians have re-entered the American lexicon.

Goombah (a thug or Mafioso), and Guido or Guidette (Northern term referring to Italians who try to portray a mafia mentality) are once Sicilian and Italian heritage.

Discrimination in any form has never made much sense to me, so it is difficult to say exactly why some Italians might want to carry a bias against Sicilians, other than the fact that they were historically conditioned to do so. It is always difficult to justify the oppression of a group of people unless you can find a few reasons to feel as though you are superior to them, and I am certain the Italians have their reasons.

Sources:

http://www.italiamerica.org/id49.htm
http://www.gentracer.com/history.html

- See more at: http://www.usaonrace.com/sticky-wicket-q...h.PC8p0MLg.dpuf
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: cornuto_e_contento
To me as someone who is Hispanic it is puzzling since we do not hate other people from different countries who are also Hispanic.

I don't know about that, Cornuto. Here in the Bronx there's quite a bit of animosity between the Dominicans and the Puerto Ricans. Between the Mexicans and Puerto Ricans as well.

When Trinidad fought DeLaHoya back in the '90s, the Mexicans and Puerto Ricans were at each other here like cats and dogs. There were lots of arrests and near riots on the night of the fight.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 02:52 PM

It's really not that puzzling to me even though I don't know shit about Italy or Sicily.

For example:

Here in the South say here in Alabama, we consider Mississippi a dumber bunch than us. Idiots per say. Just like I'm sure LaLouisiane considers Mississippi or Arkansas the same way we do Mississippi. Even though there is not a whole lot of difference (there is some) in the states, it's just the way we think. Even though we are Southerners and will stand up for the South at times, we hate each other any other time.

Just think about it. Pizza are y'all the same way? Like do you consider folks on Long Island stuck up or anything like that?

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
Pizza are y'all the same way? Like do you consider folks on Long Island stuck up or anything like that?

Well, maybe the women whistle whistle .

Remember Janice, Chandler's nasal girlfriend on "Friends"?

Talk about a stereotyped group of broads! lol lol

And I'm joking, of course. But the Italian American and Jewish women on Long Island do tend to have high hair and talk through their noses lol.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 03:17 PM

I thought it was because Italians in the northern industrial cities were richer and looked down on southern Italians?
Posted By: carmela

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 03:52 PM

This is ridiculous. Italians do not hate sicilians and vice versa. I've been in Sicily plenty times in August when mainlanders come down to vacation in Sicily. There is no animosity.

What I have seen, is Sicilians coming over to the US, and sticking with their own kind. And by their own kind, I mean other immigrants, not sicilian-americans.
They don't trust anyone as a rule, though. Not even each other.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: carmela
This is ridiculous. Italians do not hate sicilians and vice versa. I've been in Sicily plenty times in August when mainlanders come down to vacation in Sicily. There is no animosity.

clap clap clap clap

Oh, and by the way, that's the definitive answer.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 04:23 PM

But Carmela, maybe they hate each other the other 11 months of the year.

*Cowers*
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 04:33 PM

exactly

Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
I thought it was because Italians in the northern industrial cities were richer and looked down on southern Italians?

northern italian regions were as poor, if not even poorer, than most southern ones during the great emigration years (1860 - 1930).

1876 - 1900, 5 millions, mostly Northerns
1900 - 1915, 9 millions, North/South tied
1915 - 1945, 4 millions, slightly more Northerns than Southerns
1945 - 1976, 5 millions, mostly Southerns (high numbers flock to Norther Italy)
1976 - 2000, 3 millions, slightly more Southerns than Northerns
2000 - ongoing, 780 thousands, North/South tied

since the formation of Italy as a united country in 1861, roughly 30 million italians moved elsewhere, which is half of its current population of 60 million.
Basically, if one counts all siblings born abroad to italian immigrants, there are more "italians" outside of italy than on italian soil.

out of all Italian regions, the one that has seen more of its residents move out is Veneto.

sources: ISTAT, Fondazione Migrantes, Fondazione Agnelli, Museo dell'Emigrazione, Fondazione Altreitalie, Fare Geo Informazioni, Memorie Grandi Migrazioni, M.E.M Museo del Mare di Genova
Posted By: LittleNicky

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 04:45 PM

Better yet why does this troll cornuto_e_contento still get responses

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/04/14 06:04 PM

What I have seen, is Sicilians coming over to the US, and sticking with their own kind. And by their own kind, I mean other immigrants, not sicilian-americans.

That is being smart though when you think about it. If I moved to Sicily I'd want to be around other Americans just to feel somewhat safe. I wouldn't trust the bastards further than I could throw them and I'm not saying Sicily is dangerous but that is what would make me feel safer than just plowing through town not knowing what is what.
Posted By: m2w

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 09:02 AM

northern italians hate the southerner, not just sicilians but calabrians and especially neapolitans also
that's coz of the big immigrations from south to north started in the 50s
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 09:36 AM

I think it could be because northern Italians our better looking then Sicilians.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: m2w
northern italians hate the southerner, not just sicilians but calabrians and especially neapolitans also

Come on, that's not true and you know it. Is that the way that you feel toward sicilians? I mean they make remarks about one another, referring to each other by not so nice names, they think their own food is better, etc etc, but this outright hate, I don't see it.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: m2w

Come on, that's not true and you know it. Is that the way that you feel toward sicilians? I mean they make remarks about one another, referring to each other by not so nice names, they think their own food is better, etc etc, but this outright hate, I don't see it.

not like the past but still in some northern places yes
Posted By: USICILIANU

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 11:13 AM

It is true that in the North some close-minded people will see southerners as lazy, criminals, peasants, ecc. but less than in the past.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 11:18 AM

yes, less than the past, but still today there are several southerners living in the north especially in the biggest cities like milan or turin
Posted By: HuronSocialAthletic

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 03:43 PM

Honestly what is a Sicilian? The seafaring Iberian tribal folk of old has been deluded beyond recognition at this point. I'm Sicilian, but what am I really? I Have much more in common with a Tunisian than with a motherfucking Tuscan.

Everyone from the Normands to the Berbers have occupied & pillaged Sicily.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: HuronSocialAthletic
Honestly what is a Sicilian? The seafaring Iberian tribal folk of old has been deluded beyond recognition at this point. I'm Sicilian, but what am I really? I Have much more in common with a Tunisian than with a motherfucking Tuscan.

Relax. You're from Chicago lol.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Relax. You're from Chicago lol.

yeah exactly!

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 03:53 PM

Well right. Regardless, anyone that clings to some type of 'ooga booga' caveman tribal 'im from such & such and I have proof!' aesthetic needs a reality check. Especially if you're claiming an area like Sicily, an island that has been raped & pillaged & shat on so many times over it's borderline comical

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 03:54 PM

Well right. Regardless, anyone that clings to some type of 'ooga booga' caveman tribal 'im from such & such and I have proof!' aesthetic needs a reality check. Especially if you're claiming an area like Sicily, an island that has been raped & pillaged & shat on so many times over it's borderline comical

Whatever rant you're on about now, who cares. Point is, you're born in america, you're american.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 04:01 PM

I'm not anything besides human. I'm not laying claim to any area. America is a nation compiled of European outcast colonies anyways. Honestly the fact that we still need to identify with race & territory in today's day & age is sad & sickening

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 04:02 PM

I have met Sicilian American people who look very Iberian or Spanish; but then I read about how people from what's now Valencia in Spain went there.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 04:05 PM

I'm not anything besides human. I'm not laying claim to any area. America is a nation compiled of European outcast colonies anyways. Honestly the fact that we still need to identify with race & territory in today's day & age is sad & sickening

Fair enough, my fellow human. I was just going by your reply a couple posts up where you said, "I'm sicilian, but what am I really?" I hate riddles.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 04:09 PM

The climate there also attributes to the collective skin tone in certain areas. But regardless, Sicily is a legendary dumping ground for surrounding empires. It's a hodgepodge.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 04:11 PM

Gotchya smile

Humans unite.
Posted By: LittleNicky

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 04:15 PM

I have met Sicilian American people who look very Iberian or Spanish; but then I read about how people from what's now Valencia in Spain went there.

There was a union between Aragon and the kingdom of Naples (which included sicily) in the late 1400s. It was later part of the spanish empire/Habsburg Monarchy. So there is a decent amount of spanish blood in addition to the berber, norman, french, german, greek, etc etc. Might have among the most diverse blood lines on earth.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: LittleNicky

There was a union between Aragon and the kingdom of Naples (which included sicily) in the late 1400s. It was later part of the spanish empire/Habsburg Monarchy. So there is a decent amount of spanish blood in addition to the berber, norman, french, german, greek, etc etc. Might have among the most diverse blood lines on earth.

OK I meant long before that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicani

The Sicani are thought to be the oldest inhabitants of Sicily with a recorded name. The Greek historian Thucydides[1] claimed they immigrated from the Iberian Peninsula (perhaps Valencia)
Posted By: pmac

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 06:39 PM

Greg scarpa whose family was from the high north didn't have a problem getting made into a family of Sicilians in1951 profaci was around way before gambino was a boss. and scarpa new him and his brothers I don't think it was that big a problem in nyc. he tells this all to his FBI friends.
Posted By: botz

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 06:46 PM

Now I know not to call a Spaniard a Mexican. Lol
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 07:16 PM

Never really a problem, except that Sicilians did not speak proper Italian for a long time, it was broken dialect. Sicilian children that go to grammer school are taught proper Italian now a days.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/05/14 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
Never really a problem, except that Sicilians did not speak proper Italian for a long time, it was broken dialect. Sicilian children that go to grammer school are taught proper Italian now a days.

Children in Sicily were always taught proper Italian in school. The difference, is that way back when, kids wouldn't go past grammAr school, so they only really spoke what they heard around the house, which naturally, was dialect.
Posted By: dontclickvirus

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/06/14 01:48 AM

it's just what the mentality is in europe. it's not uncommon for the people who live in village A to consider the people who live in village B 10 miles down the road to be subhuman drunks who they should not interbreed with.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/06/14 07:22 AM

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 05/06/14 07:22 AM

Yep, AKA tribal caveman mentality.
Posted By: Italianheritage

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/10/14 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: dontclickvirus
it's just what the mentality is in europe. it's not uncommon for the people who live in village A to consider the people who live in village B 10 miles down the road to be subhuman drunks who they should not interbreed with.

That's not true at all.

In Italy centuries ago most people stayed in small villages or did not leave them for a larger city or a new country, before Italians emigrated to the United States and other countries.

Back then people had what we would consider large families and families from a village, or nearby village would marry each other, or sometimes have arranged marriages.

I have friends who are Southern Italian and they told me how when they went to Northern Italy when they spoke with a Southern accent, that people in the North who were from there became nervous.

But they did not say it was actual hate that they received from Northern Italians; but they did tell me about the slur Northern Italians have and use for Southern Italians or the word 'terrone' which they said basically means the person is akin to an uneducated redneck; but it does not really translate that well into English since it's an Italian word.

However I have a friend that is part Southern Italian, and she said when she, and her family including her Italian father who was from Naples went to central or Northern Italy when he was alive it was no big deal at all that she and her father were Southern Italian. Nobody thought her father did not speak Italian correctly.
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/11/14 05:11 AM

interesting thread
Posted By: SaintAccardo

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/13/14 12:46 PM

Children in Sicily were always taught proper Italian in school. The difference, is that way back when, kids wouldn't go past grammAr school, so they only really spoke what they heard around the house, which naturally, was dialect.

Boy, you know everything about everything Italian or Sicilian huh? Gimme a break "Carmen"! You accuse anyone of a rant that disagrees with you when you're nothing but a vile, disagreeable witch yourself. Go tell someone who gives a shit. To anyone that HAS been to and spent alot of time in Italy, you're "rants" are a complete joke. You discredit yourself with your high-handed tone. Go suck on a lemon. It might improve your looks.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/13/14 12:57 PM

I hate everyone named pizzaboy lol

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/13/14 01:07 PM

I hate everyone named pizzaboy lol
wtf?

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/13/14 01:31 PM

I thought you loved me, Dix? lol

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/13/14 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: SaintAccardo

Boy, you know everything about everything Italian or Sicilian huh? Gimme a break "Carmen"! You accuse anyone of a rant that disagrees with you when you're nothing but a vile, disagreeable witch yourself. Go tell someone who gives a shit. To anyone that HAS been to and spent alot of time in Italy, you're "rants" are a complete joke. You discredit yourself with your high-handed tone. Go suck on a lemon. It might improve your looks.

But when you were The Arm, you said you loved my attitude. But I get it...new handle..new persona.

Enjoy your day.

Very truly yours,

Carmen

PS..thanks for the advice about the lemons, I'll give it a shot.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/13/14 02:31 PM

I thought you loved me, Dix? lol

You know I do, just fookin with ya wink

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/13/14 02:37 PM

When life gives you lemons, drink some Limoncello wink.
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/13/14 03:31 PM

too bad you couldn't have built a homemade silencer for yourself ya silly wee man! lol

make sure you use meyer lemons! wink

Posted By: SC

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 04:21 AM

You can read about SaintAccardo in the history books.... he's history now.
Posted By: TheAustralian

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 05:30 AM

That was uncalled for, SC.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 07:55 AM

Originally Posted By: TheAustralian

Here's some friendly advice - don't argue or discuss a moderator's act in a public forum.
Posted By: TheAustralian

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 10:12 AM

Originally Posted By: SC

Here's some friendly advice - don't argue or discuss a moderator's act in a public forum.

Fuck you!

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 10:16 AM

Fuck you!

Such anger!

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 10:25 AM

It was completely "called for."

That asshole has been here before as The Arm. He was thrown off the board for similar behavior. And back then he got so many chances that some of the long time members stopped posting.

Good riddance.
Posted By: TheKillingJoke

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 10:49 AM

First time I ever saw this "SaintAccardo" guy, he just appeared...out of the blue...to let his anger all out lol
For some reason he reminded me of those retarded bumbling lunatics that appear in front of the camera during news broadcasts and start a rant about how the world is shit which lasts for half an hour lol

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: TheKillingJoke
First time I ever saw this "SaintAccardo" guy, he just appeared...out of the blue...to let his anger all out lol
For some reason he reminded me of those retarded bumbling lunatics that appear in front of the camera during news broadcasts and start a rant about how the world is shit which lasts for half an hour lol

Whenever a "new" poster shows up and starts attacking people right off the bat, you can bet your first born that he's been here before wink .

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 11:11 AM

Fuck you!

Another country heard from. Literally.

I miss Mickey Meatballs. Best Australian poster we ever had. And don't go getting offended, Sonny Blackstein. You're a Canadian now grin.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 11:13 AM

One too many lol

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 11:15 AM

One too many lol

What else is there to do down there?

It's almost like being from the American sou---. Oops grin.
Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 06/14/14 02:57 PM

Fuck you!

And here he was giving us such a good name 'n all...

Insert 'A dingo stole my .....' *here*
Posted By: DoctorTwink

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 07/07/14 07:41 PM

If you are Sicilian or have family members who are Sicilian they are not going to say how they don't like you to your face, or when they are in Sicily.

But there are lots of slurs and bad stereotypes that Northern Italians have about Southern Italians calling them a Terrone, claiming that they're uneducated thieves, or farmers who go to the North and just bring crime and steal jobs from people who are from the North.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 07/07/14 07:44 PM

Yup that's true.

It was like that in other regions in the South of Italy as well.

Kids would go to school generally up until late elementary school like what we'd call 5th grade, and then they would work either for their parents or get a job and help support their family.

It was like this in the United States too though a very long time ago where people would stop going to school in late elementary, jr. highschool, or as soon as they could in highschool and get a job to support their family.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/05/14 12:03 PM

I would like to explain a few things to our American friends.

Until the arrival of television, was more spoken the dialect, that the Italian because Italy was still an agricultural country. In 1961 there was a television program that was called Non è mai troppo tardi (it's never too late) which taught to read and write in Italian.

the hate and prejudice against all southerners, was born after the unification of Italy in 1861, when the kingdom of Sardinia annettete the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, then all industries in the south were destroyed, and there was a pervasive misery.

so was born the myth of southern born criminal

"It is to the African and Oriental elements and (excepts the Greeks), that Italy must fundamentally, the greater frequency of murders in Calabria, Sicily and Sardinia, where the lowest is where predominated the Nordic races (Lombardia)." so Cesare Lombroso wrote in his main work, The Man delinquent in 1876.
"Italy is composed of two dissimilar races , with physical and psychological character entirely different; one of these races populate the north and the center, the other the south and the islands. "
So wrote, however, the Sicilian Alfredo Niceforo in 1898.

then the prejudice has always been against all southerners.

Now over time it is likely that people of Naples insults those of Palermo. But it is indifferent and those who say that Sicily was invaded and raped by several people, I want to say is that was the whole Italy.

As an example, when I went on summer study holidays , I saw some Calabrians that teased the Sicilians saying that the cartel "Welcome to Italy" stay at a villa san giovanni, while in messina there is a cartel "Welcome to Africa".

I could do other examples, but I hope I was clear, just because some asshole insults a sicilian, doesn't mean that all the Italians hate Sicilians.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/06/14 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples

As an example, when I went on summer study holidays , I saw some Calabrians that teased the Sicilians saying that the cartel "Welcome to Italy" stay at a villa san giovanni, while in messina there is a cartel "Welcome to Africa".

I could do other examples, but I hope I was clear, just because some asshole insults a sicilian, doesn't mean that all the Italians hate Sicilians.

Actually they did not hate Sicilians or other Italians. What they do not like is how the Italian government allows a lot of illegal immigrants from Africa who go to the island of Lampedusa, and then to Sicily to mainland Italy.

The illegal immigrants are given free food and housing by the Italian government while a lot of Italians are starving or homeless because of the high unemployment rate. A lot of Italians are not happy about how their country joined the European union as it caused a lot of problems both in the economy and in other ways.

Southern Italians do not hate on other Southern Italians.

But you will see a lot of Northern Italians who hate on Southern Italians. They will claim that they steal jobs, are criminals, etc.

There's even a political party that is all for Northern and Central Italy succeeding from Italy and becoming separate countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_League_(Italy)

http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-immigrants-land-italy-215419829.html

But like what's happening with the illegal immigrants in Italy, this is also happening here in the United States and our government seems to be supporting it when we have lots of people who are homeless (or close to it), without food, and struggling to survive. I'm all for helping people but I think that countries should help their own people or citizens first before just giving away millions of dollars or euros to help people who have entered a country illegally.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/07/14 07:53 AM

We Italians should remember when went with the ships in america and south america. And anyway drtwink many immigrants fleeing the hunger and war and many of them have family in other countries in Europe and landed in Italy because it is in the middle of the Mediterranean and the country nearest, where escape.
Would be enough to recognize them, call the families and give them the opportunity to meet with them.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/09/14 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
We Italians should remember when went with the ships in america and south america. And anyway drtwink many immigrants fleeing the hunger and war and many of them have family in other countries in Europe and landed in Italy because it is in the middle of the Mediterranean and the country nearest, where escape.
Would be enough to recognize them, call the families and give them the opportunity to meet with them.

Furio these are illegal immigrants.

What they are doing is not the same as Italian people have done and still do. When an Italian person immigrated to the United States, Canada, or a South American country they did so legally, had a job lined up, had a sponsor or family member already here or going with them, were going to become a citizen of the United States, Canada, or a South American country, or they were going to go back to Italy.

You could not just show up in the United States, Canada, or a South American country then and expect them to let you in. They also would make immigrants pay money or earn money to pay for their trip and entering into a new country, go through medical exams, basic intelligence tests, and they made immigrants answer questions about themselves and why they were going to the United States, Canada, or a South American country like Argentina.

People who are illegal immigrants who go to Italy or the United States do not want to become citizens, and most just want to get free benefits via the governments of these countries.
Posted By: sbhc

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/10/14 02:33 AM

They view them as Peasants, bad land poor farmers, brown eyes, olive complexion, dark hair. Where do you think the guinea slur sprang from?

The northeners used to jibe that they were half africans. Considering the history of Sicily there may well be some of that blood in them.
Posted By: lefty_two_guns

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/10/14 06:24 AM

Actually it would have been big business that benefited from the european movement as it is a capitalist enterprise based on the exapansion of markets. Organised crime would have benefited from this as would any other large business within the state joining the european union. It then disempowers union labour with constant under cutting of wages with a new labour source as the working class see all the positives go to rich and there is nothing for them but to demonised. This is happening in every advanced coutry at the moment. But lets be clear the Mafia in any form would have made alot of money from this more building more cement!
Posted By: mightyhealthy

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/11/14 09:32 AM

Heading over to carmines this week in times square. Any recs?

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/11/14 10:09 AM

Or if anyone has any other places near times square are good for a date and reasonable let me hear it

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/11/14 10:22 AM

Wups wrong thread

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/11/14 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: sbhc
They view them as Peasants, bad land poor farmers, brown eyes, olive complexion, dark hair. Where do you think the guinea slur sprang from?

The northeners used to jibe that they were half africans. Considering the history of Sicily there may well be some of that blood in them.

That's a myth that Sicilians and people from other Southern Italian regions are "black" or are "African".

The hatred from the North of Italy to the South of Italy still goes on to this day in Italian society, and politics.
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 08/11/14 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DoctorTwink
Originally Posted By: sbhc

That's a myth that Sicilians and people from other Southern Italian regions are "black" or are "African".

The hatred from the North of Italy to the South of Italy still goes on to this day in Italian society, and politics.

yes thats a myth, but its true that 5% of the "online italians" are actually filthy mexicans.

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 12/08/14 06:01 PM

Where do you come up with these lies and BS, like "Sicilians don't trust anyone! Not even each other!" and you would have to be blind to to know that many Northern Italians in Italy do hate Southern Italians; but this is all coming from a mafia fangirl like you. lol

Re: Why do mainland Italians hate Sicilians? - 12/08/14 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: DoctorTwink
Where do you come up with these lies and BS, like "Sicilians don't trust anyone! Not even each other!" and you would have to be blind to to know that many Northern Italians in Italy do hate Southern Italians; but this is all coming from a mafia fangirl like you. lol

Your puppy love and fascination with carmela is wearing really thin already. Stop this stalking now.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET