Home

Mobster war heroes

Posted By: domwoods74

Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 10:10 AM

Was just wondering about mobsters who where decorated war heroes , I've read about Johnny green faraci Chicago outfit member sam volpendesto and longtime genovese underboss Benny eggs mangano . I would be interested to hear any stories of other war heroes turned mobsters
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 01:32 PM

Dominick Montiglio was a Green Beret.

Didn't Matty the Horse get a Silver or Bronze Star?

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 01:33 PM

Mickey Featherstone was a Green Beret also but he was Irish

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 01:37 PM

Jon Roberts who has the book "Cocaine Cowboys" about him was in SF served in a LURP unit in Vietnam. He claimed his uncle was part of the Gambino Hierarchy, I'm not really sure to the extent of his truthfulness though maybe some other posters know more about him.

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 01:51 PM

Yeah matty iannello got a bronze star and a Purple Heart
Posted By: ChiTown

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 03:00 PM

Rocco Infelise of the Outfit was a paratrooper on D-Day.
Posted By: Pedasso

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 03:07 PM

Vincent Meli from Detroit was a Captain in US Army Intelligence (after graduating from Notre Dame), who specialized in liberating concentration camps. He received a prestigious medal, but which one escapes me at the moment.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: LaLouisiane
Dominick Montiglio was a Green Beret.

Didn't Matty the Horse get a Silver or Bronze Star?

It is still questionable whether Montiglio was really in SF or not. There are other posts on this subject. Believe he served in 173rd Abn.Bde.

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 07:56 PM

I could have sworn they had a picture of him in his book in BDU's and a green beret. Maybe I was wrong.
Posted By: Iceman999

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 08:17 PM

Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi served in Korea, didn't he?
Posted By: Gingello101182

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/26/14 08:56 PM

Hey Iceman you are right about Flemmi that was where he got his nickname.

Also Venero "Benny Eggs" Mangano was a tail gunner in World War 2.

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/27/14 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: LaLouisiane
I could have sworn they had a picture of him in his book in BDU's and a green beret. Maybe I was wrong.
LA- no, you are 100% correct- there is a photo in Murder Machine of him wearing Jungle fatigues and a beret however this photo was taken in a civilian environment where anyone can slip on a beret and pose. The "Real" photos of him while on duty seem to indicated 173rd Airborne Bde. which is still nothing to sneeze at. He did serve his country in Viet Nam and can be credited with that.

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/27/14 12:03 PM

Henry Hill served 2 years in the 82nd Airborne, and Sammy Gravano also served 2 years I think- and liked it, but neither was a "Hero" Henry Hill spent his time stealing food from the mess hall and selling it in town.
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/27/14 02:02 PM

Frank Sheeran served in The Thunderbirds and has a lot history in WWII
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/27/14 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Iceman999

Yes I think he was a paratrooper as well but could be wrong there. Also, wasn't Jerry Anguilo in WWII?
Posted By: tommykarate

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/27/14 06:39 PM

I believe john roberts stories.and cocaine cowboys was a movie.his book is a GREAT READ TO.any1that hasnt read it should check it out

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/27/14 06:52 PM

Cheers tommy I will check it out

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/27/14 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: tommykarate
I believe john roberts stories.and cocaine cowboys was a movie.his book is a GREAT READ TO.any1that hasnt read it should check it out

I enjoyed his book very much so, but he hasn't been discussed on this board so all I really have to go on about him is what he has written, not on people that may know him. VERY good book though, ESP if the running into Henry Borelli in Florida was true!!

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/28/14 04:51 PM

Sal Vitale, Joey Massino's brother in law served in Germany as a paratrooper, supposedly.

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/28/14 05:53 PM

Hey Lalouisane here is an article that give a different perspective on Jon Roberts. He comes across as kind of a lowlife in these articles. He was apparently an informant for a long time.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2009-06-25/news/jon-roberts-cracked-cowboy/2/

Re: Mobster war heroes - 02/28/14 11:19 PM

Hey thanks Gin, in the book they have him pretty much ratting on everyone when he get's caught. I can't remember the guys name was it Noritanga? (I just butchered the hell out of that). he justified it by saying when he went down to a party in South America he saw him hitting on like 14 year old girls and it disgusted him.

I also read about a reporter (the article you posted was it I think) that wrote about him and kind of called him out on his story and he personally called the guy and said he was finished and he would never be able to write in Florida again. So my perceptions on him are mixed.

Good find man! Maybe we can find more out about him.

Re: Mobster war heroes - 03/02/14 12:55 AM

Hi LaLouisiane. My cousin is a bartender in Miami and actually Mickey Munday has become one of his regulars. He is one of the only guys left with first hand knowledge of Jon Roberts. Maybe we could come up with some questions. My cousin said he is an open book.
Posted By: Iceman999

Re: Mobster war heroes - 03/03/14 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
Originally Posted By: Iceman999

Yes I think he was a paratrooper as well but could be wrong there. Also, wasn't Jerry Anguilo in WWII?

I think they said in the book Black Mass that Flemmi would jump with his old unit years later.

Re: Mobster war heroes - 03/03/14 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Gingello101182
Hi LaLouisiane. My cousin is a bartender in Miami and actually Mickey Munday has become one of his regulars. He is one of the only guys left with first hand knowledge of Jon Roberts. Maybe we could come up with some questions. My cousin said he is an open book.

HAHA, Yea ask him if he wants to go into business! lol
Posted By: FrankMazola

Re: Mobster war heroes - 05/09/14 03:59 PM

Speaking of Jon Roberts, what was his connection to the "Mafia guys" he was hooked up with in New York and does anyone know who they were?
Posted By: doodkaiser

Re: Mobster war heroes - 05/09/14 05:16 PM

Jon Roberts was born Jon riccobono. His father was someone important in the Gambino crime family. Roberts wasn't his real last name. He changed it when he moved down to Miami.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET