Home

El Chapo Guzman captured

Posted By: Scorsese

El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/22/14 05:14 PM

World’s most powerful drug lord ‘El Chapo’ Guzman captured
By Associated PressFebruary 22, 2014 | 11:39am

World’s most powerful drug lord ‘El Chapo’ Guzman captured
Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman

MEXICO CITY — The head of Mexico’s Sinaloa Cartel was captured overnight by U.S. and Mexican authorities at a hotel in Mazatlan, Mexico, the Associated Press has learned.

A senior U.S. law enforcement official said Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman was taken alive overnight in the beach resort town. The official was not authorized to discuss the arrest and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Guzman, 56, faces multiple federal drug trafficking indictments in the U.S. and is on the Drug Enforcement Administration’s most-wanted list. His drug empire stretches throughout North America and reaches as far away as Europe and Australia. His cartel has been heavily involved in the bloody drug war that has torn through parts of Mexico for the last several years.

Known as a legendary outlaw, Mexico’s Osama bin Laden and the world’s most powerful and elusive drug lord, Guzman had been pursued for weeks, the official said.
Guzman’s capture ended a long and storied manhunt. He was rumored to live everywhere from Argentina to Guatemala since he slipped out in 2001 from prison in a laundry truck — a storied feat that fed his larger-than-life persona. Because insiders aided his escape, rumors circulated for years that he was helped and protected by former Mexican President Felipe Calderon’s government, which vanquished some of his top rivals.
In more than a decade on the run, Guzman transformed himself from a middling Mexican capo into arguably the most powerful drug trafficker in the world. His fortune has grown to more than $1 billion, according to Forbes magazine, which listed him among the “World’s Most Powerful People” and ranked him above the presidents of France and Venezuela.
His Sinaloa Cartel grew bloodier and more powerful, taking over much of the lucrative trafficking routes along the U.S. border, including such prized cities as Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez. Guzman’s play for power against local cartels caused a bloodbath in Tijuana and made Juarez one of the deadliest cities in the world. In little more than a year, Mexico’s biggest marijuana bust, 134 tons, and its biggest cultivation were tied to Sinaloa, as were a giant underground methamphetamine lab in western Mexico and hundreds of tons of precursor chemicals seized in Mexico and Guatemala.
His cartel’s tentacles now extend as far as Australia thanks to a sophisticated, international distribution system for cocaine and methamphetamines.
Guzman did all that with a $7 million bounty on his head and while evading thousands of law enforcement agents from the U.S. and other countries devoted to his capture. A U.S. federal indictment unsealed in San Diego in 1995 charges Guzman and 22 members of his organization with conspiracy to import over eight tons of cocaine and money laundering. A provisional arrest warrant was issued as a result of the indictment, according to the state department.
Guzman is still celebrated in folk songs and is said to have enjoyed deep protection from humble villagers in the rugged hills of Sinaloa and Durango where he has hidden from authorities. He is also thought to have contacts inside law enforcement that helped him evade capture, including a near-miss in February 2012 in the southern Baja California resort of Cabo San Lucas just after an international meeting of foreign ministers. He was vacationing in Cabo during a visit by then-U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.
“There’s no drug-trafficking organization in Mexico with the scope, the savvy, the operational ability, expertise and knowledge as the Sinaloa cartel,” said one former U.S. law enforcement official, who couldn’t be quoted by name for security reasons. “You’ve kind of lined yourself up the New York Yankees of the drug trafficking world.”
More than 70,000 people have been killed in drug violence since former President Calderon deployed thousands of soldiers to drug hotspots upon taking office on Dec. 1, 2006. Many say his government’s assault on drug cartels and arrest of kingpins actually fueled the growth of Sinaloa and its major rival, the Zetas, which are now going head-to-heard for lucrative territory.
The two are battling for Nuevo Laredo, a play Guzman lost to the Zetas in 2005, and hitting each other deep inside their respective territories. Sinaloa took over a key Zeta port in Veracruz, while bands of Zetas have attacked their rival deep inside the cartel’s home, western Sinaloa and Jalisco states.
The conflict has led to the gruesome dumping of dozens of bodies by both organizations in their battlegrounds.
Guzman was named Chicago’s Public Enemy No. 1 in February, 2013.

Authorities said the battle also weakened the Sinaloa cartel and that key hits on the top leadership in Guzman’s organization had shaken up his inner circle. In the first months of 2012, the Mexican army and federal police arrested a half dozen key Sinaloa people, including two major cocaine suppliers and a man described as the head of Guzman’s security detail.
In April last year, a video made the rounds on the Internet of a man whom U.S. authorities believed was Guzman, possibly indicating a security breach in his inner circle. In 2012, Colombian police seized 116 properties worth $15 million that they say were bought for Guzman, while the U.S. Treasury Department announced that it was placing financial sanctions on a wife and several of his sons.
While his capture may have symbolic importance, many, including Guzman’s cartel partner, Ismael “El Mayo” Zambada, say it won’t stop the violence or flow of drugs through Mexico to the United States.
“When it comes to the capos, jailed, dead or extradited — their replacements are ready,” Zambada said in an exclusive interview published in Proceso magazine in April 2010.
Guzman’s success and infamy surpassed Colombia’s Pablo Escobar, who was gunned down by police in 1993 after waging a decade-long reign of terror in the South American country, killing hundreds of police, judges, journalists and politicians.
Growing up poor, Guzman was drawn to the money being made by the flow of illegal drugs through his home state of Sinaloa.
He joined the Guadalajara cartel, run by Mexican Godfather Miguel Angel Gallardo, and rose quickly through the ranks as a ruthless businessman and skilled networker, making key contacts with politicians and police to ensure his loads made it through without problems.
After Gallardo was arrested in 1989, the gang split, and Guzman took control of Sinaloa’s operations.
The Sinaloa cartel violently seized lucrative drug routes from rivals and built sophisticated tunnels under the U.S. border to move its loads.
In 1993, gunmen linked to the Tijuana-based Arrellano Felix cartel attempted to assassinate Guzman at the Guadalajara airport but instead killed Roman Catholic Cardinal Juan Jesus Posadas Ocampo, outraging Mexicans.
Police arrested Guzman weeks later before his escape from El Puente Grande prison in 2001. At the time of his escape, Guzman had been serving a 20-year sentence for bribery and criminal association in a maximum-security prison in Mexico.
He was rumored to have once entered a restaurant in Culiacan, capital of Sinaloa state, where his henchmen confiscated every patron’s cellphone so their boss could eat without fear of an ambush. He was also rumored to have staged an elaborate public wedding in 2007 to an 18-year-old bride that was attended by officials and local police.
Federal police say they raided the town that day, but got there just a few hours too late.
Guzman had long been reported to move around frequently, using private aircraft, bulletproof SUVs and even all-terrain vehicles.
His location was part of Mexican folklore, with rumors circulating of him being everywhere from Guatemala to almost every corner of Mexico, especially its “Golden Triangle,” a mountainous, marijuana-growing region straddling the northern states of Sinaloa, Durango and Chihuahua.
An archbishop in northern Durango state said in April 2009 that Guzman lived in a town nearby. Days later, investigators found the bodies of two slain army lieutenants with a note: “Neither the government nor priests can handle El Chapo.”
Posted By: SgWaue86

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/22/14 05:39 PM

Holy shit good post. I gotta be honest I thought they were never gonna catch him.
Posted By: Extortion

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/22/14 06:01 PM

Why was his shirt off in the picture? That is kind of strange..
Posted By: ChiSox74

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/22/14 06:50 PM

This is incredible. This guy is the most legendary druglord since Escobar

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/22/14 07:47 PM

Chicago DEA head is already calling dibs on him.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/25762567-418/mexicos-sinaloa-drug-chief-arrested.html
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/22/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Extortion
Why was his shirt off in the picture? That is kind of strange..

He might have been sleeping when they raided his residence.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/22/14 08:20 PM

Like I've been, Sinaloa is the most powerful "mafia" in Chicago these days
Posted By: tommykarate

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/22/14 09:01 PM

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2014/02/mexicos-sinaloa-drug-chief-el-chapo.html?m=1

Holy shit this is huge.look 4the zetasto start pushn 4 territory
Posted By: PhillyMob

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/22/14 10:34 PM

Wow this is amazing. I was just watching a documentary on him yesterday. This is really big news. Thank you very much this is my first time hearing it.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 02:38 AM

I cant understand why there isnt more carel topics on here.its really interesting whats goin on.fuckn crazy and brutal but interesting. Its bn rumored that chapo and el mayo were about to split and start fighting.guess not now.with everything chapo has on corrupt politicians and d.e.a and the rest of the alohabet boys i figured he would be killed
Posted By: americafyeah

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 05:30 AM

yea right? I can't believe it. this is huge. I thought you have to be kidding, but today's not april 1st so it must be real.
Posted By: americafyeah

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 06:26 AM

Originally Posted By: tommykarate
I cant understand why there isnt more carel topics on here.its really interesting whats goin on.fuckn crazy and brutal but interesting. Its bn rumored that chapo and el mayo were about to split and start fighting.guess not now.with everything chapo has on corrupt politicians and d.e.a and the rest of the alohabet boys i figured he would be killed

good point. I think there's a good bit of xenophobia on this forum,when it concerns Mexican cartels. Ive brought up the example of roy demeo before. someone like demeo,who was notorious for his methods of body disposal and a high body count. he's given undue adulation,while in mexico there are literally 100's of roy demeos in the news everyday. b ut they aren't given the same reverence by posters here.
Posted By: southend

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 06:42 AM

Fucking crazy just saw it on the news. Thought he'd really never be caught considering how corrupt Mexico is and the billions Chapo sits on. Let the heads start rolling oh wait heads have been rolling since the war on drugs

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 02:06 PM

Im not too surprised he got caught. Hes had 13 years on the run i think that is a little more than osama.
Posted By: ninogaggi

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 04:58 PM

new mex president cant be bought out for now it seems haha. this is a whale going down for sure. the story is, he started to come out of his hideouts in the mountains to enjoy some nights at coastal resort towns. his house in sinaloa, had a network of underground tunnels which connected him to 7 homes. the trap door was in the bathroom shower. either way, they caught some people close to his inner circle who told him that his fatal mistake was coming out to enjoy the beach. than he was in trouble

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 06:56 PM

It is weird though that he got caught with 1 female and no type of security. When he has been rumored to travel with a crew of 20 cars and suv's all bulletproofed and ready for war.
Because of all the ongoing violence and brutality in Mexico allegedly caused by the cartels and Chapo being in the middle of that. I'm sure no one thought that he would have been captured without a single bullet being fired in either direction.
But again I will say very big news and very interested to see what unfolds in the next few months.
I wonder if the violence will escalate over a power struggle. Also wonder what and if Chapo will talk about anything. We will see.
Posted By: StLguy

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 07:09 PM

"he's given undue adulation,while in mexico there are literally 100's of roy demeos in the news everyday. b ut they aren't given the same reverence by posters here"

Adulation? Reverence? I don't think that Roy Demeo has received that form anyone here and if you think that a bunch of cartel serial murderers and drug pushers deserve it, then you're fucking sick.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: PhillyMob
It is weird though that he got caught with 1 female and no type of security. When he has been rumored to travel with a crew of 20 cars and suv's all bulletproofed and ready for war.
Because of all the ongoing violence and brutality in Mexico allegedly caused by the cartels and Chapo being in the middle of that. I'm sure no one thought that he would have been captured without a single bullet being fired in either direction.
But again I will say very big news and very interested to see what unfolds in the next few months.
I wonder if the violence will escalate over a power struggle. Also wonder what and if Chapo will talk about anything. We will see.

he did have three body guards with him at the time of his capture. I think a lot of his top guys have been getting busted recently as well, which may have left him kind of vulnerable. Im guessing if he goes away for the rest of his life sinoloa is probably gonna split up into different groups. Anything can happen before any court proceedings even take place.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Scorsese
Originally Posted By: PhillyMob

he did have three body guards with him at the time of his capture. I think a lot of his top guys have been getting busted recently as well, which may have left him kind of vulnerable. Im guessing if he goes away for the rest of his life sinoloa is probably gonna split up into different groups. Anything can happen before any court proceedings even take place.

Thank you for the info.
Posted By: pmac

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/23/14 09:27 PM

is he coming to America to stand trial/ or they gonna build him his own little jail like escobar in mexico. guess mmd is up next. they got Osama,whitey,el chapo. the Italy police want some headlines.
Posted By: uptempo

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/24/14 01:44 AM

I wonder if he goes walkies again before they manage to get him to America. Time will tell but it sure is going to be interesting to see what happens with him.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/24/14 02:47 PM

I guess all the italians he sells to taught him a thing or2 with the bunkers under your house and tunnels to dif places.they busted a bodyguard on the 1st floir who immediately pointed them to chapos room on the 4th floor.that guys whole family will be dead.lol his cell is also rite beside a big time zeta named el hummer

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/24/14 02:55 PM

I think that there are multiple states in the US that are trying to nail him so there is a very good chance that will bring him here. But until he is completely locked down I won't believe it until I see it.

If they keep him in Mexico there is a very good chance that he will bribe his way right out of prison like he did last time. He has too much power and influence over a lot of people for him to go as quiet as it's been going. So I think that shit could possibly hit the fan but then again nothing at all can happen.
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/24/14 03:56 PM

Wow this is monumental to Mexico. I think things are about to get bloody and the major players will be making moves for power.
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/24/14 05:31 PM

‘El Mayo’ the successor to captured cartel boss Guzman
Monday 24th February 2014

Ismael Zambada, aka 'El Mayo'
THIS is the gang boss set to take over from captured Mexican drugs baron Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman.

Former cattle herder Ismael Zambada - alias 'El Mayo' Zambada - has never spent a night in jail despite half a century trafficking drugs.

Authorities in the US have offered a $5m reward for his capture.

The 66-year-old dad-of-seven admitted in his only-ever newspaper interview four years ago he was terrified of being caught and vowed to kill himself rather than let himself be taken alive.

He said to respected Mexican journalist Julio Scherer after summoning him to a remote country house and asking his bodyguard to take a picture of the two for posterity: "I panic about the idea of being locked up.

"I don't know if I would have the courage to kill myself but I would like to think I would."
Painting a terrifying future in which drug cartels will never die despite high-profile captures of their leaders, he added: "Imagine one day I decide to hand myself into the government so they can shoot me.

"My case should be exemplary, a warning to others. They shoot me dead and euphoria breaks out.

"But a few days later we realise nothing has changed.

"That's because the problem of drugs trafficking involves millions. Whether the bosses are jailed, killed or extradited, their substitutes are already out there."

Zambada, Guzman's number two in the feared Cartel de Sinoloa, has always opted for a lower profile than his friend, seized in the Pacific beach resort of Mazatlan on Saturday morning.

He told Scherer during their interview in April 2010 over a breakfast of orange juice, milk, refried beans and meat: "The hills are my home, my family, my protection, my land, the water I drink."
Years ago when drugs traffickers like Zambada could move around more freely, waiters at his favourite hotel in Mazatlan are said to have fought over who served him because of the $100 tips he used to leave.

He also used to play Father Christmas by visiting his birthplace of El Alamo, a small village near Mazatlan, every Christmas with lorries laden with beer and cash for locals.

He and his wife Rosario Niebla used some of the millions they made from drugs trafficking to open a shelter for working-class and single mums called 'Nino Feliz' - 'Happy Child' in English.

Mexican government officials have accused the home, which offers users babysitting services and free meals, of being a money-laundering scam.

Zambada has been wanted by Mexican law enforcers since 1998.

Vicente Zambada, one of his three sons, was arrested by the Mexican Army in March 2009 and was extradited to the States.
Posted By: Dago_From_Chicago

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/24/14 09:19 PM

Will be interesting to see where he ends up going. Here in Chicago there is all kinds of talk about him being extradited here to face charges and have his trial etc due to the fact he was Chicago's public enemy number 1 and all.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/24/14 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
‘El Mayo’ the successor to captured cartel boss Guzman
Monday 24th February 2014

Ismael Zambada, aka 'El Mayo'
THIS is the gang boss set to take over from captured Mexican drugs baron Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman.

Former cattle herder Ismael Zambada - alias 'El Mayo' Zambada - has never spent a night in jail despite half a century trafficking drugs.

Authorities in the US have offered a $5m reward for his capture.

The 66-year-old dad-of-seven admitted in his only-ever newspaper interview four years ago he was terrified of being caught and vowed to kill himself rather than let himself be taken alive.

He said to respected Mexican journalist Julio Scherer after summoning him to a remote country house and asking his bodyguard to take a picture of the two for posterity: "I panic about the idea of being locked up.

"I don't know if I would have the courage to kill myself but I would like to think I would."
Painting a terrifying future in which drug cartels will never die despite high-profile captures of their leaders, he added: "Imagine one day I decide to hand myself into the government so they can shoot me.

"My case should be exemplary, a warning to others. They shoot me dead and euphoria breaks out.

"But a few days later we realise nothing has changed.

"That's because the problem of drugs trafficking involves millions. Whether the bosses are jailed, killed or extradited, their substitutes are already out there."

Zambada, Guzman's number two in the feared Cartel de Sinoloa, has always opted for a lower profile than his friend, seized in the Pacific beach resort of Mazatlan on Saturday morning.

He told Scherer during their interview in April 2010 over a breakfast of orange juice, milk, refried beans and meat: "The hills are my home, my family, my protection, my land, the water I drink."
Years ago when drugs traffickers like Zambada could move around more freely, waiters at his favourite hotel in Mazatlan are said to have fought over who served him because of the $100 tips he used to leave.

He also used to play Father Christmas by visiting his birthplace of El Alamo, a small village near Mazatlan, every Christmas with lorries laden with beer and cash for locals.

He and his wife Rosario Niebla used some of the millions they made from drugs trafficking to open a shelter for working-class and single mums called 'Nino Feliz' - 'Happy Child' in English.

Mexican government officials have accused the home, which offers users babysitting services and free meals, of being a money-laundering scam.

Zambada has been wanted by Mexican law enforcers since 1998.

Vicente Zambada, one of his three sons, was arrested by the Mexican Army in March 2009 and was extradited to the States.

Didn't this guys son turn out to be an informant or he was claiming that he was in order to get off his charges?

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 01:14 AM

He said that the sinaloa cartel worked with the dea and cia i believe. Its prolly true to.its prolly the reason the sinaloa cartel is taking so many hits lately. There pissed he talked
Posted By: DallasConnected

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 02:39 AM

Rumor is he has 2 look a likes and that it was set up to get the heat off him. Probably explains why he was not with his normal entourage and you gotta think a multi billionaire ur gonna have some protection. Like I said a rumor. Look at years ago when the big cartel guy died during plastic surgery, so it is possible he pays guys to be a look a like.
Posted By: Wilson101

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 03:01 AM

I just watched The Counselor. Not quite as bad as Savages but still a waste of my life........

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 03:10 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/International/timeline-events-led-joaquin-el-chapo-guzmans-arrest/t/story?id=22649692&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

I can't post the article but that's a link to an ABC news article with a timetable of events on how they got him. Best article so far
Posted By: Dago_From_Chicago

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 03:40 AM

@DallasConnected. you know, now that you say that, the son of a bitch they got right now looks nothing like in other photos and videos.
Posted By: Scarface1981

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 08:41 AM

Thanks for the information everyone!
Posted By: Liloandstich

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 02:35 PM

In my opinion the people around him were weak the guy he used as courier flipped immediately Everton captured talked crazy New to the site love the site

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 03:19 PM

LILO you might be right but I think in Mexico they torture people to flip em
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: StLguy
"he's given undue adulation,while in mexico there are literally 100's of roy demeos in the news everyday. b ut they aren't given the same reverence by posters here"

Adulation? Reverence? I don't think that Roy Demeo has received that form anyone here and if you think that a bunch of cartel serial murderers and drug pushers deserve it, then you're fucking sick.

the same can be said for the mafia
Posted By: Liloandstich

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 04:04 PM

Well in that case I could see why

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 02/25/14 04:33 PM

Yea I don't think they're big on human rights over there, especially the government.
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/01/14 01:32 PM

I lack interest in the Mexican drug trade because multiple Governments have been implicit in it. I'm more interested in true crime, where there is a line in the sand between who the criminals are and the so called good guys. What goes on in Mexico is more like massive corruption and lawlessness. It's no fun when the criminals can buy off everyone. I believe only a fraction of the murders in Mexico have been solved, because the Government don't give a shit.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/01/14 05:04 PM

Look at chapos pic.bruises on him n shit.they said he was hit 4times.theres a site were they give descriptions of the tunnels hecwas in.they gound grenades bullet proof vests and guns going thru the tunnels.they also found a grenade launcher were it opened up outside. Chapo could fukd some people up.he shoulda shot a grenade n closed the tunnel wen he got out.mite c a big prison break like the zetas are known for.they freed over 100people in 1.zetas are crazy
Posted By: Camarel

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/01/14 05:14 PM

Look at chapos pic.bruises on him n shit.they said he was hit 4times.theres a site were they give descriptions of the tunnels hecwas in.they gound grenades bullet proof vests and guns going thru the tunnels.they also found a grenade launcher were it opened up outside. Chapo could fukd some people up.he shoulda shot a grenade n closed the tunnel wen he got out.mite c a big prison break like the zetas are known for.they freed over 100people in 1.zetas are crazy

Guzman is Sinaloa not Zetas.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/01/14 05:27 PM

I know that.i said a zetas style prison break

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/02/14 04:45 PM

organisational chart was just published.

http://www.globalpost.com/sites/default/..._2014_02_28.jpg

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/04/14 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Scorsese
organisational chart was just published.

http://www.globalpost.com/sites/default/..._2014_02_28.jpg

Very nice thAnk you

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/04/14 07:04 AM

anyone else want tacos?

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/04/14 03:02 PM

Going to work out then going to smoke and get fish tacos @ tortilla press, life is rough

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/04/14 03:09 PM

The Drug War’s Theater of the Absurd: El Chapo Guzmán’s Arrest

Playing His Role: Every Good Drama Needs a Willing Villain

By Guillermo Jimenez on Tuesday, March 4, 2014
In the theater of the absurd that is the War on Drugs, the rational gives way to the irrational — the logical to the illogical.
We observe the narcotics supply-chain of individuals and the law enforcement apparatus, both trapped in seemingly hopeless situations. Then those in positions of power — government, big business, and banks — act out their role with the same repetitive and meaningless actions. They assuage the public with words of comfort, but they ring full of clichés and nonsense. In the end, there is no meaning, a cyclical and destructive plot without bounds.
The arrest of Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán fits into this narrative all too well. Touted as one of the most dangerous and sought after criminals on the planet, his capture has led to much congratulatory back-slapping on the part of Mexican and US authorities. The takedown of the face of the Sinaloa Cartel has been said to mark the end of an era, and yet, paradoxically, has left many more questions than answers.
Aside from the uncertainties of the future, questions linger as to the planning, execution, and timing of the arrest — how, who, or what set the stage for El Chapo’s fall?
The “Three Amigos” at the North American Leaders Summit in Toluca, Mexico on Wednesday, Feb.19, 2014. Source: The White House.
Guzmán’s capture came only three days after the “Three Amigos Summit” — a meeting between Mexican President Peña Nieto, Canadian Prime Minister Harper, and US President Obama over trade deals — and only a week after Peña Nieto’s Time magazine cover was revealed as a paid advertisement.
The billionaire on-the-run was eventually captured in a rather ordinary-looking hotel room and immediately photographed, shirtless and disheveled — the image of a bested and broken man. Normally traveling with a security team of up to 300 heavily armed men, Guzmán was, incredibly, done in without single shot fired. The “CEO of Crime” was then put in front of the cameras again, made to perform the classic “perp walk,” breaking with the tradition of the Peña Nieto administration thus far.
Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán at the moment of arrest. Source: Mexican law enforcement.
Danny Benavides, writing for Traces of Reality, highlights the inconsistency: “Take note, for instance, the manner in which Chapo Guzmán was led out before the cameras after his arrest: a Mexican Marine seen applying a Vulcan nerve grip on the back of his neck, head down and cuffed (see video here). Then contrast that with the way captured Zetas leader Miguel Ángel Treviño Morales (alias “Z-40″) performed his perp walk: unrestrained, strutting at a cool pace alongside Mexican Marines (see video here).”
Indeed, the very capture of the drug lord itself possesses many elements of theater — so much so that even former agents of the DEA, now retired and able to speak freely, have come forward to voice their suspicions.
Former DEA supervisor, Hector Berrellez, recently went as far as to say the entire thing was “arranged.” Speaking to Narco News, Berrellez said, “Chapo was protected by Mexican federal agents and military, by the Mexican government. He was making Peña Nieto look bad, and so the government decided to withdraw his security detail. Chapo was told he could either surrender, or he would be killed.”
Hector Berrellez, Former DEA Supervisor. Source: Proceso.
Berrellez, although retired, says he maintains contact with informants within the Mexican government and military. The information he has received from those informants accounts for the way Guzmán was captured without a struggle.
“He ran around with a several-hundred man security detail that included Mexican military and federal agents, yet, in the end, he is arrested like a rat in a hole. My sources are telling me it was an arranged thing.”
Another retired DEA agent, Phil Jordan, also expressed doubt regarding the developing storyline of El Chapo’s demise. During an interview with Univision, Jordan said he was surprised Guzmán was arrested now, while Mexico is under the control of the Institutional Revolutionary Party. He claims to have seen intelligence reports in the past that indicate Guzmán has been a strong financial supporter of the PRI and put millions of dollars into Peña Nieto’s campaign — presumably in exchange for continued protection.
Jordan’s comments support Berrellez’s assertion that El Chapo was indeed being protected by the Mexican government through its police and military, but, for whatever reason, that arrangement had come to an end.
As with Pablo Escobar in Colombia, or Al Capone in the United States, the “heroic” actions by our “saviors” in the state require willing villains to play their role. The details may vary, their fates not always the same, but the function these characters like El Chapo Guzmán play — time, and time again — is disturbingly similar.
As only one of several leaders within the Sinaloa Cartel — in itself only one of the very many drug cartels in Mexico — the arrest of Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán does absolutely nothing to change the realities on the ground in Mexico. The day-to-day operations of the Sinaloa Cartel continue without interruption, and the problems caused by this “drug war” that plague the people of the Mexico and the bordering regions of the United States go on unchallenged.
The theater on display this week is the same generations-old show we’ve been asked to cheer and applaud for: the same government created and imposed problem, the same predictable public reaction and consequence, and the same state-sanctioned solution. The absurdity continues, all the while nothing improves in the lives of ordinary people, and the interests of the corrupt political and crony elite are well preserved.

Interesting article with some thinking outside of the normal media sheep brainwash spectrum.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/04/14 04:17 PM

yeah where the fuck was his security

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/04/14 04:21 PM

They snitched him out
Posted By: franklinmint

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/04/14 06:25 PM

Interesting aritcle on the situation

[url=http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/bill-conroy/2014/03/narco-villain-el-chapo-s-arrest-packaged-media-consumption][/url]
Posted By: slumpy

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/05/14 05:07 PM

Didn't they capture one of chapo's LT's a few months back? Probably got snitched on.

edit: just read this Article. it wouldn't surprise me at all. the US government has already been caught being implicit in the drug trade. The CIA especially has a long storied history of involvement in foreign drug trade, especially in south and central america.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/06/14 01:08 AM

sounds like the mexi government has no use for chapo anymore

unless he's gonna get a slap on the wrist

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/06/14 06:50 PM

Itll be telling if he gets brought to the u.s.i think the only way hed willingly turn himself in like this is if he wasnt extradited
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/06/14 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: cookcounty
sounds like the mexi government has no use for chapo anymore

unless he's gonna get a slap on the wrist

I doubt they can slap him on the wrist, the US Gov't will be applying major pressure to get him extradited.

Like Tommy Karate said the only way he gets out is if Sinaloa does a "Zeta Type" raid on the prison to get him out. And since the Zetas have successfully carried out raids of the sort, the Mexican Gov't has put tanks out in front of some of the prisons. I would think he is in a higher security one with maximum security even though that isn't saying much for Mexico.

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/06/14 10:09 PM

Yea n im not to sure sinaloa has done any mass prison breaks ala los zetas.in other news tho they just captured the son of "la tuta" servando gomez.this guy startd talkn soon as he was caught.seems to happen alot with these big narcos down there.any way here if any1wants to check it out

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2014/03/la-tutas-son-arrested.html?m=1

Re: El Chapo Guzman captured - 03/10/14 02:52 AM

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2014/03/report-of-chayos-death.html?m=1

Pretty big if this is true.he was declared dead by the mexican govt in 2010i believe.with the autodefense movement goin on against the knight templar cartel gaining so much ground this is huge.la tuta ,z42 or chango are next.the mexi govt is dropn em quik.mite even see mayo or azul go
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET