Home

The charms of La Cosa Nostra still works?

Posted By: furio_from_naples

The charms of La Cosa Nostra still works? - 02/13/14 09:49 AM

I ask myself what pushes a young Italian-American to become an associate and then a made man of the American Mafia, but I speak not only of NY or NJ but also of Philadelphia, Boston or Providence.
The Mafia controlled until the 80s Las Vegas, Atlantic City and the main trade unions, now with the RICO Act, risks hard sentences, and even in prison you have to be careful and to pay the protection to the the prison gangs.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: The charms of La Cosa Nostra still works? - 02/13/14 11:16 AM

In many cases, family obligation plays a big part of somebody wanting to get in. Many of todays members have or have had older relatives (fathers, uncles etc) in the life. And then of course you have the wannabes who are intrgued by the local mobsters and sees them as some kind of a father figure.

I bet that after the movie The Godfather came out (in the early 1970s) thare were a bunch of Italian American kids who dreamt of being part of that life. Movies and pop culture in general romanticizes the image of the Mafia. The same can be said about confused kids who are growing up watching The Sopranos today.

Why are some kids drawn to become part of a street gang?
Posted By: Slava

Re: The charms of La Cosa Nostra still works? - 02/13/14 12:14 PM

They join for the same reasons any other person on this planet joins a criminal organization: easy money for people who don't have much prospect in regular life + not having to work a shitty job or be unemployed. It was the same decades ago and it will always be like that, in every society you'll have criminals.

It's not like rich kids are joining the mafia instead of going to college because of some movie or "charm", people who end up in the mob were mostly involved with crime since they were young and have nothing to lose.
Posted By: PhillyMob

Re: The charms of La Cosa Nostra still works? - 02/13/14 02:02 PM

All very true statements. Lots have blood ties directly to the 'life' and their path is chosen for them at an early age. It's very hard to stay away when your family is involved. Like someone else said to others it's just basically a career choice. The draw of easy money is very hard for some to look the other way especially when your unemployed or have a record already.
The media doesn't help either and all the movies etc.. But it does make for great reading and great watching
Posted By: bigboy

Re: The charms of La Cosa Nostra still works? - 02/13/14 05:55 PM

Hairyknuckles- You hit the nail on the head. Goodfellas had to draw another bunch.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET