Home

Was al Capone made?

Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Was al Capone made? - 01/06/14 10:16 PM

Was al Capone ever officially made into the mafia? What about all the other old school mafia chieftains like Luciano, genovese, gambino etc. Because in most mobsters bios they talk about being made and they talk about the ceremony. But I never really see anything about that in some of the old timers bios.
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/06/14 10:24 PM

there was a pretty recent thread about capone-

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=755414&page=1
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/06/14 10:35 PM

This question was asked 100 times and the answer is no.Back in the days the Chi Outfit was not a LCN organization,in other words there was no ceremony.Even sicilians like Accardo and Giancana did not bother with the ceremony and shit.The only ceremony was a dinner.The outfit was more like a criminal gang...
Posted By: Faithful1

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 12:25 AM

According to Joe Bonanno and Nick Gentile the answer is yes. Gentile says Joe Masseria made him around 1928, and Bonanno says that Maranzano recognized him as the Chicago representative in 1931. He probably didn't go through a ceremony but according to two guys who were around then, he was indeed made.
Posted By: Iceman999

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 01:22 AM

In Arccardo: The Genuine Godfather, it was stated that Accardo was made, rather unceremoniously, by Capone who was said to have given him the quick "dos and don'ts" of the Outfit.

I would think Capone would have been "made" the same way, no?
Posted By: Wilson101

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 02:03 AM

It's all speculation because back then people kept their mouth shut.
Posted By: pmac

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 02:11 AM

Valachi said he was made in 1931 with a dozen other guys with the burning the saint and gun on table. Sam the plumber said he was made in 1942. But when he open the books in the 1970 tys he didn't use the lcn ceremony and gotti made them do it over there way gun saint blood.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: VegasMikey

That's a myth. Back then there were already informants and dry snitches. The difference is that they could keep under the radar as they didn't have to show their faces at a congressional hearing.
Posted By: TheArm

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 02:11 PM

No one was "made" in the way we think of it today until around 1935, so I would guess the answer is technically no. The Mustache Petes had some sort of ceremony and while it was similar, it was much more nebulous and different than that used by the early LCN. My Grandfather told us he recalls being sat down and told you come in alive and you leave dead and asked if he understood, and that was about it. According to him the burning saint and the Sicilian diatribe was a 1930s creation
Posted By: F_white

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 02:46 PM

The way we think of it No.

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 03:47 PM

So does the same go for gambino, Luciano, Genovese's, lucchese etc.
Posted By: Wilson101

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: VegasMikey

That's a myth. Back then there were already informants and dry snitches. The difference is that they could keep under the radar as they didn't have to show their faces at a congressional hearing.

I do agree somewhat but I feel like there still were less rats back then.

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: TheArm
No one was "made" in the way we think of it today until around 1935, so I would guess the answer is technically no. The Mustache Petes had some sort of ceremony and while it was similar, it was much more nebulous and different than that used by the early LCN. My Grandfather told us he recalls being sat down and told you come in alive and you leave dead and asked if he understood, and that was about it. According to him the burning saint and the Sicilian diatribe was a 1930s creation

There are official government documents from Sicily back to the 1870s that include the ceremony, so it existed before then. I believe the ceremony started in the 1820s as a modified form of Italian Freemasonry. Scholars generally have a range between the 1820s and the 1860s, but I go with the earlier one because of a report from 1838 about a Mafia-like group that had been around since the 1820s (as far as the author of the report knew). Anyway, Italian Freemasonry was brought in by Napoleon and Joachim Murat, who was King of Naples from 1808-1815.
Posted By: andrewc

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Toodoped
This question was asked 100 times and the answer is no.Back in the days the Chi Outfit was not a LCN organization,in other words there was no ceremony.Even sicilians like Accardo and Giancana did not bother with the ceremony and shit.The only ceremony was a dinner.The outfit was more like a criminal gang...

Your attitude is poor. If someone has a question must they perform a search to check what the answer is? No they shouldn't. Not everyone is as smart and dynamic as you.
Posted By: TheArm

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Faithful1

There are official government documents from Sicily back to the 1870s that include the ceremony, so it existed before then. I believe the ceremony started in the 1820s as a modified form of Italian Freemasonry. Scholars generally have a range between the 1820s and the 1860s, but I go with the earlier one because of a report from 1838 about a Mafia-like group that had been around since the 1820s (as far as the author of the report knew). Anyway, Italian Freemasonry was brought in by Napoleon and Joachim Murat, who was King of Naples from 1808-1815.

A Masonic ceremony would not include the burning of a saint. I never said there was no ceremony back in Sicily, I am just saying the one used proior to the Catalamari war and the creation of LCN was different than the one used by the early LCN, and today. My Paternal Grandfather was with Joe Masaria and as I said, he reported that his was a very informal ceremony
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: andrewc
Originally Posted By: Toodoped

Your attitude is poor. If someone has a question must they perform a search to check what the answer is? No they shouldn't. Not everyone is as smart and dynamic as you.

First of all i aint showin no attitude.I only said that the question was asked for the 100th time...nothing negative about it.As you can see ive joined the discussion as well. smile

Second of all...thanks for the compliments about being smart,dynamic and shit...i really appreciate it wink

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/07/14 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Faithful1

A Masonic ceremony would not include the burning of a saint. I never said there was no ceremony back in Sicily, I am just saying the one used proior to the Catalamari war and the creation of LCN was different than the one used by the early LCN, and today. My Paternal Grandfather was with Joe Masaria and as I said, he reported that his was a very informal ceremony

I didn't say that the Masonic ceremony included burning an image of a saint. I wrote that it originated from Masonry. The earliest Mafiosi added their own embellishments, but we know that as early as the 1870s the ceremony was basically the same as the one Joe Valachi said he went through in 1930.

Joe Masseria probably did have his own variation of the ceremony that was not standard, which is why Chicago's has been informal.

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/08/14 07:50 PM

So since johnny Torrio was the boss in Chicago at first, was he made into a specific family or was he just made into la Cosa Nostra itself in order to travel out to Chicago and create his own organization? Or was Chicago not apart of the LCN? What about Sam Decavalcante? And what about all the old timers I named like lucchese, Luciano, Genovese etc.
Posted By: Snakes

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/08/14 08:03 PM

Sam DeCavalcante was made in the '40s, I believe.

Lucchese, Luciano, Genovese, Capone, and Torrio were all pioneers for the modern LCN so whether or not they were made in the traditional way is sort of a moot point. The NY guys could have been made at some point by Masseria or Maranzano. At any rate, all of them helped to start it so it seems rather unnecessary for them to "induct" themselves into the version of LCN that they had a hand in creating.

Re: Was al Capone made? - 01/09/14 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
So since johnny Torrio was the boss in Chicago at first, was he made into a specific family or was he just made into la Cosa Nostra itself in order to travel out to Chicago and create his own organization? Or was Chicago not apart of the LCN? What about Sam Decavalcante? And what about all the old timers I named like lucchese, Luciano, Genovese etc.

I don't think Torrio was made into the Mafia/Cosa Nostra. He was a former Five Points Gang leader who took over Colosimo's organization. He was friendly with the Mafia when he was boss, very friendly with Mike Merlo, the Chicago boss.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET